Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Quarterfinal, Semifinal and Final Matches for BGG Store Tournament  (Read 14442 times)

yuma

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
+1

Post here for Quarterfinal matches. There are still two round two games left, but I thought I would put this up for anyone that wants to start on their matches early

Remember to visit the sites of our kind sponsor, Board Game Geek and the Board Game Geek Store.

The bracket can be found here

And for the rules for the tournament go here.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 10:19:15 pm by yuma »

zporiri

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: zporiri
  • Go, and do likewise.
  • Respect: +130
    • View Profile
Re: Quarterfinals for BGG Store Tournament
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 01:47:13 pm »
+1

zporiri 3 - Young Nick 2

thanks to Young Nick for the good games and for playing today as opposed to next week. i was afraid i was going to blow my early 2-0 lead :P

pretty similar match in which i come out on top. we both ignore chapel because of thief+NB. plus JoaT is quick enough on it's own.
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201209/04/game-20120904-100708-91cd5e23.html

he goes for apothecary while i try to get to bazaars+torturer as quick as possible, and an able to hurt enough of his turns on way to victory.
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201209/04/game-20120904-101731-293df77b.html

we both choose to go for familiar over sea hag. my potion doesnt show up til turn 5 which hurts, but i feel like i was outplayed regardless.
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201209/04/game-20120904-102521-03437ed6.html

mirror match with militia+wharf+money. skipping militia probably wouldve been better, we both collided a few times (i dont like playing big money+X though). i bought 2nd to last province even though he had a wharf in play since i had played my militia. wrong decision haha.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201209/04/game-20120904-103107-53dbd5da.html

we both open silver remake, but he goes for traders (not sure why) and i pick up some libraries and the rest money and come out on top.
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201209/04/game-20120904-103752-be473e47.html

thanks again to Young Nick for the good games!
Go, and do likewise.

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +274
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 02:13:15 pm »

So here are my thoughts:

In game 1, I really feel like you are following me. It was really just going to be shuffle luck. I also skipped Chapel just because there was no engine that could compete with Jack. I'm not scared of Thief or NB considering Jack just plows right through, though I did consider picking up a lone NB of my own.

Game 2: I knew Apothecaries were going to be rough, but I don't think my opponent's strategy was optimal either. It is too difficult to get a Torturer engine running when the Village that is available costs $5, as well.

Game 3: We both should have gone Sea Hag. I opened Potion by accident and he followed suit. It wasn't looking good for him when his Potion hit turn 5.

Game 4: I think that Militia is the proper move here.

Game 5: Trader is good here. Especially if I double-Embargo Provinces, which I never got around to doing. I had a better deck, if you look at our final deck contents. I bought Duchies with $8+ several times when I should have broken PPR. When I do break PPR he gets his first good hand in a long, long time and wins. I feel like I deserved this one more than any of the other four.

Good games, indeed zporiri!

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 10:14:11 pm »
+1

are we supposed to post in this thread or in the round 3 thread? the quarterfinals and round 3 appear to be the same round. anyways, good set with zxcvbn2. p1 won every time, and we had a real thriller to end it. also, it seemed like we had a lot of repeat cards.

Game 1 ge 78 - 61 zxcvbn2 - colony game with not much going on. i go double courtyard/BM, using loan to trash coppers and using hoard to get some spending power. zxcvbn2 opts for a similar strategy but dips into the fool's gold.

Game 2 zxcvbn2 45 - 27 ge - a quick engine game, 14 turns to clear provinces and 5 duchies. border village, stables, village and smithy for the engine with baron and explorer for economy. he opts for the early double baron and quickly drops double province turns on me.

Game 3 ge 34 - 19 zxcvbn2 - ambassadors make for lame games.

Game 4 zxcvbn2 19 - 11 ge - fishing village, wharf, and peddler all on board means a game likely to end in piles. we open 5/2 and he opts for young witch (fv bane) while i go wharf. i take too long to get cooking and he takes it on piles.

Game 5 ge 50 - 48 zxcvbn2 - easily the best game of the set. we both end up ignoring both golem and possession, opting for fishing village/torturer/monument engines. i go hard into the monuments early, fearing possession, while he builds the draw engine first. his oracle buy was key quite a few times, while my monument plays allowed me to eat a few extra curses. he grabs a late surprise province but then fails to hit $5 to end it. i scoop it with my 1P advantage 27 turns in.

edit:
Round 1 - ge 3 - 2 D Bo
Round 2 - ge 3 - 0 lekkit
Round 3 - ge 3 - 2 zxcvbn2
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 09:58:42 am by greatexpectations »
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

yuma

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 10:18:52 pm »

Posting in either thread works. Since there are only 3 games left, everyone just post your semi-final and final results here as well.

Thanks to everyone for completing the matches so quickly. I will set the deadline for semifinals as a week from today, Wednesday September 12, 10 pm forum time, but again... finishing earlier than the deadline is optimal.

zxcvbn2

• Golem
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
Re: Quarterfinal, Semifinal and Final Matches for BGG Store Tournament
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 11:01:15 pm »
+1

My thoughts:

Game 1: Not much to see. Courtyard/ BM

Game 2: I really like the synergy with Stables and Baron, and I set up a tradition Village/ Smithy engine around it, occasionally sprinkling in Border Villages. GE does something similar except that he takes longer to get his second baron, opting initially for explorer instead.

Game 3: I really am not good with ambassador. We both open 5/2 and initially ignore it. I open with Jester, which is just really stupid as GE ends up slimming down quicker and buying out mostly bazaars and moats (to block my ambassadors and jesters, and also build his engine) with barons for buys. I end up eventually doing something similar, but it takes me way too slow.

Game 4: FV/ Wharf/ Peddler is cool. I really like yw/ minion/ tunnel, hoping that the draw power from the wharves and buy power from the golds from tunnels would help. First player advantage allows me to win despite my distraction, but seriously, should've stuck to Fv/ Wharf/ Peddler.

Game 5: Very long game, very intense, very frustrating at the end. I only need 5 to buy a duchy to win the game my last two turns and I only get up to 4. This comes after my turn 23 province when my deck was so bloated it was crazy that I got to eight at all.

All in all, very fun, ge was a great opponent.
One Day Cup II Champion: qmech III: Rabid IV: Qvist

zporiri

• Golem
  • Go, and do likewise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 04:38:13 pm »
+1

Rabid 3 - zporiri 0

i was severely outmatched here. a lowly level 23 stood no chance against Rabid haha.

i stink with scrying pool-one of the cards i havent played with a bunch and have a horrible with win % rating. it was never close.
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201209/06/game-20120906-130945-7eb25c85.html

we both go for a conspirator engine. i opened with two develops which was probably the wrong decision in hindsight. once i fell behind i tried to activate cities and get some extra buys and finish with a mega turn, but he was the one to get it, as it usually is with cities-one person empties the pile and the other gets the benefit. wasnt expecting it to work but once i fell behind i needed to try something new.
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201209/06/game-20120906-132318-1e55f205.html

fool's gold is another card i hate and dont know how to play with well. i was hoping that the discard attack from militia+margrave would hurt him more than it did.
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201209/06/game-20120906-133107-be35e1d5.html

dont know what else to say other than i was outplayed by a large margin in every game! good luck to Rabid in the finals!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 05:25:31 pm by zporiri »
Go, and do likewise.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 04:50:12 pm »
+4

i was severely outmatched here. a lowly level 23 stood no chance against Rabid haha.

If it's any consolation, most people don't.

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 04:56:04 pm »

All the games were closer than the scores would indicate.
A few small errors at the start were amplified by the boards.

Game 1:

I think Scrying pool was a better opening here, but your turn 4 terminal clash put me way ahead.
Your best chance was winning the race to followers.
If the game went long I had the option of not going green and just racking up monument points.

Game 2:

Develop / develop seems wrong to me to, game was very close until I got a few good draws in the midgame, then as the board was missing + buy  was going to take a lot of luck for a come back.

Game 3:

This was a close game, I think fools gold is good against discard especially margrave (sometimes the draw / discard can help).
On $5 I think venture would have been better for you than silver.

Thanks for the enjoyable match.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 05:03:03 pm by Rabid »
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever

zporiri

• Golem
  • Go, and do likewise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 05:28:01 pm »

On $5 I think venture would have been better for you than silver.

good to know. i stayed away from venture in fear that it would pass my margrave's which i was going to need to buy provinces/colonies and hopefully hurt your hands with.
Go, and do likewise.

Rabid

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 05:37:53 pm »

This is a tricky concept I'm not sure I have correct.
But I think on average venture vs silver should be about even for how often you get to play your terminals. It increases deck cycling rate, but decrease the number of actions you get to play per shuffle.
Just speculation but I think this increases variance, but average stays about the same.

The big benefit is if you hit copper it is the same as silver, but if you hit silver, gold or plat then venture was much better than silver.
Twitch

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 12:16:43 am »

greatexpectations over Mergus 3-1-0. a nice set with a couple of nice engine options. as always, Mergus was a great opponent.

Game 1 ge 91 - 28 Mergus - colony game with combos and counters everywhere. a few tunnel combos (venture, golem, silk road) and both witch and ambassador. but in the end, it seemed to come down to an ambassador war, which i got the better end of with alchemist and golem.

Game 2 Mergus 25 - ge 61 - absolutely beautiful vineyards board. scheme, plus buys, trashing, draw, and cantrips. i ride a couple of schemes to win the vineyard split.

Game 3 Mergus 48 - 38 ge - i go heavy for fool's gold with hamlets, and Mergus counters by playing it slow with fairgrounds. i jump out to a big lead early but then stall really hard and he cruises.

Game 4 ge 60 - 52 Mergus - a duke game with a couple of nice tunnel combos. i get my golem played first and then do my best to spam monument and mine while we trade duchies and dukes. we end up tied in green but i take it with my vp chip difference.

Mergus

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 07:36:06 pm »

Thanks for the games greatexpectations. You were certainly the better player last night, although I was hoping for some lucky finish in my favour at the end of game 4, which would have been undeserved though.

In Game 1 I get outplayed big time. I underestimated the importance of the potion here and open double Ambassador which doesn't work well.

I know that I need to go for Vineyards, but I don't know how to do it right. I should have ignored goons I guess.

Game 3 was closer than the score. Either of us could have won this.

In game 4 I get completely frustrated by golems. He has two before I can buy my first and from there I can't catch up.

GG and have fun in the finals.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 09:21:37 pm »
+1

I know that I need to go for Vineyards, but I don't know how to do it right. I should have ignored goons I guess.

i think that schemes would have helped some. i was able to use my schemes to top-deck both a university and smithy multiple times and i think it helped me cycle my deck faster.

i actually really wanted a goons myself but i just couldn't hit $6.

yuma

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 09:54:56 pm »

Good luck to both Rabid and greatexpectations in the finals. Both high quality players with what I hope will be intriguing games.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2012, 09:58:08 pm »

hey thanks. we are looking to play the set tomorrow but we had a question: would you be ok with us bumping up the final to best of 7/9/n provided we both agree to the terms beforehand? we both seem interested in doing so but don't really want to step on your toes either.

yuma

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2012, 10:00:20 pm »

hey thanks. we are looking to play the set tomorrow but we had a question: would you be ok with us bumping up the final to best of 7/9/n provided we both agree to the terms beforehand? we both seem interested in doing so but don't really want to step on your toes either.

If both parties agree, 7 or 9 would be fine. I had thought about suggesting it myself, but didn't want to put any pressure on either of you. Just let me know beforehand that you both agree to it.

Rabid

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2012, 06:21:37 am »
+2

Any number of games is fine for me.
The more games the better I think.
How about first to 4 wins, basically best for 7, but with extra games if we have draws?
Twitch

Rabid

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2012, 05:24:57 pm »
+2

greatexpectations 3
Rabid 4

An excellent match, very well played greatexpectations, thanks for the match.

Game 1: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201209/08/game-20120908-130249-80cb230c.html
Caravan, Fairgrounds, Fool's Gold, Fortune Teller, Nomad Camp, Pearl Diver, Peddler, Philosopher's Stone, Potion, Stash, and Village

We both open NC FG, greatexpectations buys a potion for Phil stone into Fairgrounds, while I rush FG into prov., this is a lot closer than the score, because of the 14 card fairgrounds.

Game 2: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201209/08/game-20120908-131058-4cb158ae.html
Apothecary, Cellar, Chancellor, Counting House, Duke, Explorer, Familiar, Fishing Village, Loan, Potion, and Tactician

We both go for familiar into duchy rush, I under estimate tactician as always.
I can hit $5 more consistently, but tactician enables both a double duchy turn and a prov turn.

Game 3: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201209/08/game-20120908-131957-9aa10114.html
Baron, Colony, Courtyard, Feast, Goons, Hamlet, Inn, Pearl Diver♦, Platinum, Possession, Potion, Smithy, Smugglers, and Young Witch

Young witch into goons, I play badly, greatexpectations plays well.
And my YW gets blocked, so i tilt and buy a second one.
I don't think I get more than $4 all game.

Game 4: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201209/08/game-20120908-135125-0b43269b.html
Black Market, Chancellor, Chapel, Jester, Menagerie, Peddler, Possession, Potion, Quarry, Scheme, and Tribute

Chapel + possession leads to some horrible games.
As start player I keep it simple and avoid black market, quarry means I can afford possession but I never have enough $ I my deck for a duchy. 

Game 5: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201209/08/game-20120908-135904-490f624e.html
Envoy, Farming Village, Haven, Herbalist, Mountebank, Navigator, Potion, Steward, Throne Room, Transmute, and Witch

I incorrectly open farming village, We both go for witch, then clean up with steward.
Nice use of herbalist for + buy give greatexpectations the win.

Game 6: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201209/08/game-20120908-140436-ebae9f6e.html
Apprentice, Bridge, Expand, Feast, Laboratory, Militia, Potion, Scrying Pool, Sea Hag, Trading Post, and Transmute

Strange game, we both open trading post, into got turn 3 Sea Hags, but only play hag once each all game. greatexpectations takes lab over gold, I take gold @ $6.
Very close end game, greatexpectations breaks PPR (I think correctly), I get the frustrating Trading post + 3 silver + copper + estate (after player lab). So I can get to $ 8 but lost the estate so its a draw, but I was first so have have to duchy and hope. Luck is with me and greatexpectations has $7 as well, so I win next turn.

Game 7: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201209/08/game-20120908-141354-69f7f63e.html
Bishop, Colony, Counting House, Crossroads, Horse Traders, Ill-Gotten Gains, Platinum, Sea Hag, Shanty Town, Silk Road, Thief, and Warehouse

This is the game we played the most differently.
I have been "practising" with counting house lately so was very please to see this board.
(practising = losing a lot by playing it when ever it is remotely viable and learning it can be good on curse boards with + buy and is even better with colony).

Thanks again to all the players for a fun competitive event.
And Yuma for the organisation, and to BGG Store for the sponsorship.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 09:59:02 pm by Rabid »
Twitch

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2012, 05:44:38 pm »
+2

we ended up playing first to four wins, ignoring ties. we were tied at 3-3 and it came down to the final match so it was an exciting finish at least. as Rabid said, props to yuma for organizing and running this thing.  this has to be one of the fastest and least complicated tournaments to date. congrats to Rabid on the win!

game 1 - i hate fool's gold and love philosopher's stone. i guess that he is going for FG so i play to steal a bunch of them away early and then switch to p-stones. i figured p-stone would give me staying power so that i could get variety in my deck and drain fairgrounds and duchies. i think i erred in buying a second province, and ended up 1 card short of my 6 point fairgrounds.

game 2 - not much to see here. familiar mirror and we split the curses. i opt for explorer and tactician and he goes for double explorer. i am able to snag a province with the tactician but this was mostly 1P advantage.

game 3 - colonies and possessions went untouched.  not sure when it happened, but i got the jump on rabid and grabbed two goons fairly early. i was able to use inn to set up a few double goons turns and this one ended on piles.

game 4 - wasn't sure we'd even get to finish this one. tornado warnings in the area, and i lost power at one point. possession game with chapel and lots of engine pieces. i aimed to snag some of the nice pieces out of the black market deck and try to outrun rabid. he probably made the correct move in just playing my deck, but i was still quite frustrated by some of the draws. one of those where it felt like he always had a possession in hand and then drew my menageries.  but hey, im pretty bad with possession.

game 5 - mostly a mirror, buying engine pieces in different orders. i win with a mix of clearing out my curses faster and 1P advantage.

game 6 - i get perfect draws with my trading post first two plays and i figure i had the set won. our only strategy difference is that he opts for gold over labs. i hit $7 turns 13 and 15 (and he does turn 14) and then its 1P advantage to the rescue.

game 7 - and this is why he has 8 levels on me. enough said.

yuma

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2012, 08:06:19 pm »
+3

Congrats to Rabid. Rabid you may claim your prize by pming me your mailing address which I will forward onto the BGG Store!

Looks like some fun games were held in your match.

Also thanks to all who competed for playing fair, well and so quickly! We finished way ahead of our timeline.

Mergus

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2012, 09:03:44 pm »

Congrats to Rabid, looks like it was a fun final!

Rabid

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2012, 03:31:46 pm »
+5

My prize just arrived!
10 of each of all 5 promo cards.
Thanks again to: http://store.boardgamegeek.com/
Twitch
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.