Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Which cursing card to go for (when 2+ are available)?  (Read 12768 times)

Atto

• Swindler
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
Re: Which cursing card to go for (when 2+ are available)?
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2011, 06:50:52 am »

Of course that's true. My first thought was, it will not happen too often that players buy 5 and 4 Witches. So you can neglect this cases. Then "difference in gains" would be nearly the same as "gains".
But the most frequently case is one player buying one card and the other buying two. That will be counted as +1. I didn't think about that.
This means you are right and i made my conclusions too quickly.

Markov Chain

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2011, 10:42:40 pm »

I ran some simulations using Geronimoo's simulator for witch, mountebank, and sea hag.

The buy rules were big money ultimate looking to get two of the cursing cards in your deck. Witch and mountebank were prioritized over gold while sea hag was not. I simulated both 4/3 openings and 5/2 openings. Here are the results. Percentages are win rates.

4/3 Opening

Witch beats Mountebank 60% to 36%
Witch beats Sea Hag 52% to 44%
Sea Hag beats Mountebank 56% to 41%

5/2 Opening

Witch beats Mountebank 63% to 33%
Witch beats Sea Hag 81% to 17%
Mountebank beats Sea Hag 67% to 30%

Obviously the presence of other cards will affect what is actually best. But these data seem to suggest that you prioritize witch over the other two no matter the split, while you choose Sea Hag/Mountebank depending on the opening.

Another bias in the study is that a big-money deck will benefit more from the non-attack power of Witch.  In a deck with other actions, +2 cards will have more dead draws (unless the Witch follows a village), while the +2 coins of Mountebank have a constant value.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2011, 04:03:43 pm »

In terms of witch vs mountebank, I think it depends primarily on trashing. If there is no trashing, witch is stronger because mountebank will stall out, and because without trashing in a curse game, you're probably going to want to basically go for big money.

For young with vs sea hag, I think unless the bane card is good, it's better to go with young witch. In a curse game, the discard 2 doesn't matter all that much, so it's basically a witch. Sea hag has a stronger attack, but it's semi-countered by young witch. Having the curse on top makes one of the cards in your current or next hand useless, but since the young witch turns look at 6 cards (besides the young witch), the hit is not as bad. The young witch player still gets to choose 4 out of 5 cards to use (the 6th being a curse), while the sea hag player just has to play with the 4 she drew.

painted_cow

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2011, 07:25:04 pm »

Witch vs. Mountebank. As one already noted starting with 1 Mountebank (more damage in early game) and get a witch (safe curse giving later on) later on should work fine on most boards.

Familiar isnt really that useful, if Witch/MB is on the board. But I am not sure, if one takes Sea Hag when especially MB is on the board. Maybe you give him 2 curses and then draw MB (which gets denied quite often then) its pretty useless. And the chances wont get any better. Maybe one should just get one of these 2 options.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 20 queries.