Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Old thread, but now that Dark Ages is out, what should my first expansion be?  (Read 5685 times)

Trasher

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile

Hello,

I know this thread has been done to death, but none of them really seemed to seriously consider Dark Ages. And I have to say, the sheer number of new cards is pretty enticing, so it seems like it might be a good contender for first expansion. For those of you who have experience with Dark Ages, is it good enough to be worth buying as the first expansion? Over Prosperity/Seaside, which seem to be the standard suggestions. I already have the normal Dominion set, and I will probably buy another expansion in the not-very-distant future, so consider synergy between two expansions!

I'm not so worried about the difficulty or complexity of strategy, as most of the people I'll be playing with are already experienced with Dominion. So what's a good, fun expansion that works well with just the normal set, or possibly with one more expansion?

Thanks very much!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
+1

No.

Seriously, no.

Step away from Amazon.

As has been stated several times, you really should get Intrigue as a first expansion, followed closely by either Seaside or Prosperity.  By then, you can do whatever you damn feel like, but - really?  You really want Dark Ages as a first expansion?  You are a masochist.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
+1

Now, if your aim is synergy, Cornucopia and Hinterlands go together rather nicely.  Young Witch/Tunnel is an awesome opening, and the plethora of discard-y cards in Hinterlands goes well with Hunting Party and Menagerie.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile

I don't advise at all Intrigue as a first expansion. Base+Intrigue is much less fun than Base+Seaside.
I haven't tried DA yet but seems to be a complex expansion.

Trasher

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile

No.

Seriously, no.

Step away from Amazon.

As has been stated several times, you really should get Intrigue as a first expansion, followed closely by either Seaside or Prosperity.  By then, you can do whatever you damn feel like, but - really?  You really want Dark Ages as a first expansion?  You are a masochist.

Thanks for the input! I'm definitely looking hard at Intrigue, Seaside, and Prosperity (though there seems to be a little conflict about Intrigue)! But I'm still curious about Dark Ages. I assume you are so hard on DA because it's complex? But like I said, most of my friends have already played a lot, usually with expansions. And I've done a little bit of Isotropic myself. So I'm not too worried about complexity, unless it really is _that_ bad. I just want a fun, strategic, thinking man's expansion  :P

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
+1

No.

Seriously, no.

Step away from Amazon.

Thanks for the input! I'm definitely looking hard at Intrigue, Seaside, and Prosperity (though there seems to be a little conflict about Intrigue)! But I'm still curious about Dark Ages. I assume you are so hard on DA because it's complex? But like I said, most of my friends have already played a lot, usually with expansions. And I've done a little bit of Isotropic myself. So I'm not too worried about complexity, unless it really is _that_ bad. I just want a fun, strategic, thinking man's expansion  :P

Intrigue is pretty think-y.  Watching newbs ponder over Pawn just to do +1 Card, +1 Action is kind of amusing sometimes.

Piemaster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile

I'm not sure if I would want Dark Ages as a first expansion.  There is just too much going on with a lot of the cards and games with a high density of DA could be quite overwhelming even for experienced players.  As a 3rd or possibly 2nd expansion maybe.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks

But I'm still curious about Dark Ages. I assume you are so hard on DA because it's complex? But like I said, most of my friends have already played a lot, usually with expansions. And I've done a little bit of Isotropic myself. So I'm not too worried about complexity, unless it really is _that_ bad. I just want a fun, strategic, thinking man's expansion  :P

If they're all basically familiar with most or all of the expansions, no need to ask the question in the first place, right?  If you want to try Dark Ages, try it.

Your first post was unclear about this, though -- seemed like you were saying you and your friends were all just experienced with the base game.  If so, it probably doesn't matter how thoroughly they know the base game -- Dark Ages is still a steep climb.  I'd go with Seaside in this case.

PenPen

• Thief
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile

I'd say Dark Ages is a different beast...I'd guess you can print out the card list from somewhere off the internets and show them and see if they're willing to take the jump.

But as you just have base, go with Prosperity or Seaside, or Intrigue if your folks like it thinky.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.589 seconds with 20 queries.