Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Hinterlands First Game?  (Read 2304 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Hinterlands First Game?
« on: August 28, 2012, 12:01:45 am »
+1

As we know, Hinterlands was, at one point, a standalone, meaning that the cards had to be (and at some level are) a tad on the simpler side, at least in terms of play, if not strategy.  With that in mind, I'd like to try to come up with a first game setup using Hinterlands cards.  I always introduce new players with the First Game setup recommended in the Base set (sometimes throwing in Trading Post, Cutpurse, Salvager and Secret Chamber to replace Mine, Militia, Remodel and Moat, respectively), but after a while it does get a bit tedious, and I feel like I intimidate new players since I can play that setup so well (hint: open Remodel).  Now, I have tried a conglomerate setup with Intrigue/Seaside, which has been discussed (Secret Chamber, Courtyard, Pearl Diver, Woodcutter, Smugglers, Warehouse, Cutpurse, Salvager, Bazaar, Trading Post) to mixed results, but I'd really like to see if one could be made with Hinterlands.

I was able to introduce Embassy and Border Village in a second game to a new player, and he handled them rather well.

First thoughts:

Oasis
Nomad Camp
Margrave
Tunnel?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1399
    • View Profile
Re: Hinterlands First Game?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 12:21:13 am »

New players should never experience Margrave nor Tunnel, put both on your banned cards list ::)

Border Village
Cartographer
Stables
Nomad Camp
Spice Merchant
Oracle
Crossroads

I'll leave it at that, since all 10 hinterlands is just silly.

I'd definitely add a fun attack and some trash from another set since Noble Brigand and Develop are silly.  Maybe Trader.  Definitely not JoaT unless you forbid yourself from buying it.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 12:24:05 am by Gherald »
My opponent has more loot than me

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 12:26:09 am »
+1

New players should never experience Margrave nor Tunnel, put both on your banned cards list ::)

Border Village
Cartographer
Stables
Nomad Camp
Spice Merchant
Oracle
Crossroads

I'll leave it at that, since all 10 hinterlands is just silly.

I'd definitely add a fun attack and some trash from another set since Noble Brigand and Develop are silly.  Maybe Trader.  Definitely not JoaT unless you forbid yourself from buying it.

Actually, Jack was in the setup I did with Border Village and Embassy.  I got one, and he got two, but he didn't know to go DoubleJack.  It was a pretty good game - I think I won by... one point?  Oh yeah, it also had Swindler, Mine and Harem.  We kept Mining Silvers into Harems.  And he kept Swindling my Border Villages into Golds.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 12:32:14 am »

What's wrong with Margrave?

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 03:55:43 am »

i wouls say Tunnel is fine too. Newbies love the gold!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 04:00:47 am »
+2

The Hinterlands rulebook provides an approximation of a first game set:

Introduction: Cache, Crossroads, Develop, Haggler, Jack of all Trades, Margrave, Nomad Camp, Oasis, Spice Merchant, Stables
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.