Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: BGG Store Tournament Bracket - Round 2  (Read 9826 times)

yuma

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
BGG Store Tournament Bracket - Round 2
« on: August 27, 2012, 11:23:24 pm »

Bracket is here

Post results here!

Round one is complete. If you haven't done so contact your opponent and let's see if we can finish by Sept 3. But the official deadline for round 2 will be Sept. 5 at noon forum time, one week from now. Let me know if you have trouble getting ahold of your opponent.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 06:26:11 pm by yuma »

Mergus

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
Re: BGG Store Tournament Bracket - Round 2
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 02:05:03 pm »

Watno and I just played our match. The result was 3-2 in my favour. I have all but the last log.

Game1
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201208/28/game-20120828-101442-ccad037a.html
This game went to turn 37 with double Ambassador. He plays it better and I try to catch up but it's too late.

Game2
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201208/28/game-20120828-102601-bc29e77a.html
A Young Witch game where I win by buying out piles and I think the universities I grabbed paid off.

Game3
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201208/28/game-20120828-103517-4d5711b0.html
He goes straight for ShantyTown and Wharf while I start with a Monument. His Forge works better than mine and he quickly has the smaller deck.

Game4
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201208/28/game-20120828-104545-cb337fc5.html
Very tight game with lots of Swindlers where I'm lucky that he swindles a Province at the end.

Game5
Very quick Chapel game with Lighthouse and Governor support where I draw the better Chapel hands in the start.

Thanks for the games Watno and for being able to play so quickly!

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 07:44:24 pm »

Friendly few games with Dsell. He had a couple of very narrow losses in in the 3-0.

DG 37-17 Dsell http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201208/28/game-20120828-160547-5c087403.html
DG 26-21 Dsell http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201208/28/game-20120828-161518-46badd7a.html
DG 41-40 Dsell http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201208/28/game-20120828-162626-20a42686.html

First kingdom has a nice outlook for me with tactician and familiar, peddlars coming for free, and the develop not getting in the way. The curses do all the damage.

Second kingdom we both go for workshop/silkroads, throw in a warehouse, and they emptied quickly. I could see the game stagnating after the estates ran out so rebuilt with silver for duchies and scraped enough together as Dsell was emptying the workshops.

Third kingdom I'd hoped to control with masquerade and neutralize the iggs but it didn't draw that way and I had to scramble for mid game points after a big early deficit. I guess I still don't know when to trash fool's gold. On the last turn I had a masquerade with 7 coins in hand and an estate. I passed the estate, received a copper, and bought the last province for a 1 point win. With only two duchies left in the supply and two piles empty there was a tight decision there, and Dsell didn't really have any choice except to pass the copper.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 08:48:19 pm by DG »

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 02:54:44 am »

Really fun games with DG. We went for divergent strategies to some degree or other in every game.

Game 1, I just played badly. I don't think my idea was bad, but my execution certainly was. I should have embargoed familiar or even double-embargoed them to slow him down just a tad and probably should have picked up a second margrave...I'm sure I made more mistakes but he played perfectly and the better strategy won.

Game 2, there was probably real engine potential here but I doubt it would be fast enough. Anyway we mostly mirrored to start but a couple 2 copper hands early made me decide to go all in for estates after splitting the SR 4-4. I ended up with 9 to his 5, but he built up enough that he snagged a final duchy for 7 points just before I could drain Workshop.

Game 3 was the heartbreaker. I had some really lucky early turns that let me keep curses on his side of the table and pick up provinces, and I still managed to split FG 4/6. He slowly came back and massed duchies while I began hitting 4 or 8 in the endgame but never 5. Last turn killed me. Of course I couldn't pass an estate when it was so tight, there was no way to know that passing copper would get him the 8 he needed for province though!

Really fun match! :D
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 03:59:00 pm »

Rabid 3, Beyond Awesome 2

Excellent match, some really close games against a fun opponent.

Game 1 (Played in veto mode sorry)
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201208/29/game-20120829-120723-6b71807c.html
I win with Young witch into Philosopher's Stones
Against YW Crossroad (bane), Beyond Awesome gets a bit unlucky early game, and doesn't get to block many early curses. Even though I lose the curse split 7/3 my Phil stones end up as $7 so I can still buy provinces.

Game 2
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201208/29/game-20120829-121402-314f4786.html

We both go for Village rabble engines.
I open Ironworks / Silver, against Silver / silver.
(not sure if this was correct, but it works out well, the IW gaining the tie breaking estate for the 1 point win.

Game 3
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201208/29/game-20120829-123022-9ee59162.html
Apothecary, Duke, Hamlet, Jester, Mint, Native Village, Oasis, Potion, Saboteur, Venture, and Witch

I got for Apoth + NV, + hamlet + 1 witch
Against 2 witch + Money
On turn 5 I hit $8 and buy a Province, that should have been a witch I think.
Some good play from Beyond Awesome ends the game just in time before my 5 point dukes can catch up.

Game 4
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201208/29/game-20120829-124226-365bf6f1.html
Adventurer, Bridge, Chapel, Colony, Hamlet, Hunting Party, Mine, Noble Brigand, Platinum, Quarry, Smugglers, and Tactician

My HP stack + mine against Bridge mega turn.
I get very outplayed here. With "only" tactician for draw, and hamlet for + actions, I mistakenly thought bridge wouldn't work. I would be interested in what people think of this game in particular.

Game 5
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201208/29/game-20120829-125505-916a718b.html
Apothecary, Bank, Colony, Duke, Hamlet, Laboratory, Peddler, Platinum, Potion, Quarry, Silk Road, Upgrade, and Vineyard

Another interesting board.
I win with hamlet / upgrade into peddler, upgrade to plat.
Against Vineyards rush.
I failed to count actions a few times and discarded for + buy ending up with 3 buys, $3 and peddler costing $2. :(
Beyond Awesome said they mis clicked to discard a potion, which may well of been enough for the win.

Thanks again for the very close match.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 04:54:39 pm by Rabid »
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 05:08:58 pm »

Rabid wins 3-2

In the first game, I have the option of going for Phil Stone or YW, but I decide to open YW and Crossroads which is the Bane. I seriously thought of going for P Stone's, but was hoping that I could end the game before they got significantly big.

In game 2, like Rabid said, we both go for Rabble/Village engines. He opened with Ironworks. I thought about it. In the end, the Ironworks breaks the tie by getting an Estate. Rabid wins.

Game 3 was really interesting. Duke and Witch are on the board. For the two's there are NV and Hamlet. I feel Hamlet isn't as strong here, and buy NV with the hope that it can get some junk out of my deck. Doesn't really work out that way, but oh well. Also, Saboteur is on the board. My hope was actually that Rabid would go for Dukes. He waits until much longer which is a wise decision because I would have loaded up on Sabs, and I think those would have really hurt Duke's potential. I end up winning the game anyway.

Game 4, Hunting Party is present. However, HP doesn't seem as strong in Colony games, at least, that is how I felt. So, I try to build a Bridge using using Tact and HP for draw and Hamlet to get + Actions. In the end, I win the game on piles.

Game 5, ouch is all I have to say. Hamlet, Peddler and Vineyard is on the board, so I decide to go for a Vineyard Rush. I should have probably used my first P buy on Apothecary. Anyway, when the last two Vineyards were left, I had two Potions in my hand, and I play Hamlet to get the + Buy but discard a Potion instead of the Vineyard. I must have been thinking ahead about buying those Vineyards and clicked on my potion instead. Anyway, had I not accidentally discarded that potion and bought the last two Vineyards, I would have won the game. :( :( :(

yuma

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 06:26:23 pm »

update at top of forum

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 08:01:40 pm »

greatexpectations over lekkit 3-0-1. thanks to lekkit for accomodating our time zone differences by staying up late.

our set had 2 pseudo-mirrors and 2 sets with diverging strategies. we had a little bit of rules confusion too...is it best of 5 games, or is it first to 3 wins? lekkit was a copper away from earning a second draw which would have complicated things on that front.

Game 1 ge 47 - 21 lekkit - sea hag, steward, walled village, goons, scheme - i was about to grumble about my sea hag missing the shuffle its first time through, but then my sea hag flipped his goons a couple of times and more than made up for it. coupled with an early scheme, i was able to thin my deck faster and it snowballed from there.

Game 2 lekkit 30 - 33 ge this one featured 4 alchemy cards, and we both start with familiar. from there lekkit plays more of a tactician/money strategy. i shoot for phil. stone early and bloat my deck.

Game 3 lekkit 25 - 25 ge - witch, caravan, salvager - straightforward mirror, only difference is in our buy orders.

Game 4 ge 44 - 35 lekkit - we both use islands to thin out early but diverge from there.  i transition into a highway/workshop/outpost engine, topdecking highways with scheme.  lekkit transitions into treasuries and merchant ships.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 08:03:23 pm by greatexpectations »
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

yuma

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 09:50:04 pm »

we had a little bit of rules confusion too...is it best of 5 games, or is it first to 3 wins? lekkit was a copper away from earning a second draw which would have complicated things on that front.

I guess it is neither... It is first to 3 wins, within 5 games, but if it is still tied 2-2-1 or 1-1-3 after 5 games then a sixth game can be played.

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +274
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 09:58:04 pm »

we had a little bit of rules confusion too...is it best of 5 games, or is it first to 3 wins? lekkit was a copper away from earning a second draw which would have complicated things on that front.

I guess it is neither... It is first to 3 wins, within 5 games, but if it is still tied 2-2-1 or 1-1-3 after 5 games then a sixth game can be played.

Don't forget the fabled 0-0-5!

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 04:46:49 pm »

Geronimoo wins 3 -2 vs Powerman

Strange games...

Game 1 Geronimoo 34 - Powerman 24: We both open double Swindler then get Mountebank and start racing the Cities. My opponent however Swindles my $5s into Mandarins instead of Duchies and those Mandarins give me a nice economy to go with the Cities. I get a little scare as he Swindles a Province into a Peddler, but my lead was too great.

Game 2 Geronimoo 33 - Powerman 22: an Ironworks/Gardens game with a little twist of Governor and Farmland. I think Powerman should have greened sooner to win the Gardens split but he gets more Ironworks. Meanwhile I'm able to Farmland 2 Estates into Gardens and with this lead I feel comfortable racing the Estates while he tries to rebuild an economy. The Governor allows both of us to get a Province!

Game 3 Geronimoo 27 - Powerman 28: A pretty cool game where I decide to build an engine around Worker's Village, Embassy, Bank and Haggler. It works nicely as I double Province turn 9, but then my deck doesn't give me any more mega turns and I even get one dead turn which is just enough for Powerman's more BM-ish deck to win the race. This one hurt since I felt I played it quite well.

Game 4 Geronimoo 46 - Powerman 56: I probably misplayed this a bit. I go for Masquerade/Silver and sort of BM with Caravans for support. My opponent however decides to get all the Caravans first and his trimmer more enginy deck with the single Ghost Ship probably give him the game. Maybe that Copper I trashed with Masquerade when I had $11 might have made me lose... ugh

Game 4 Geronimoo 91 - Powerman 39: Probably the coolest game of the bunch. There's Possession and Golem and Rabble and Throne Room. I open Royal Seal while my opponent opens Mandarin. Then I get a few Rabbles, a Potion and soon after a Golem and Possession. The Royal Seal is really good to get those bombs available quickly and Powerman tries to counter my Possessions with Saboteurs and greening quickly, but that's fine by me and I just build up my deck with plenty of Platinums instead of focusing on getting multiple Possessions played (which was an option had my opponent gone a different route). He doesn't really stand a chance...

Fun, fast and weird games. Thx for playing, Powerman!!

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 04:59:56 pm »

Geronimoo summed up the games pretty well, but I'll add a few comments.

Game 1 Geronimoo 34 - Powerman 24: We both open double Swindler then get Mountebank and start racing the Cities. My opponent however Swindles my $5s into Mandarins instead of Duchies and those Mandarins give me a nice economy to go with the Cities. I get a little scare as he Swindles a Province into a Peddler, but my lead was too great.
Yeah, I'm really not sure why I turned them into Mandarins.  I just think "Mandarin?  That's terrible.  It'll give him lots of terminal collisions between weak cards!"  Change those to Duchies and I think I win, but oh well, I kinda forgot about that :P

Game 2 Geronimoo 33 - Powerman 22: an Ironworks/Gardens game with a little twist of Governor and Farmland. I think Powerman should have greened sooner to win the Gardens split but he gets more Ironworks. Meanwhile I'm able to Farmland 2 Estates into Gardens and with this lead I feel comfortable racing the Estates while he tries to rebuild an economy. The Governor allows both of us to get a Province!
He hits 2 nice 6's, to go Farmland + Gardens.  I thought I'd be OK off since I got more Ironworks, but I guess I should maybe gardened earlier?  Not really sure, I thought I had hope when I got the province, but he got one the next turn and I didn't really have a hope after that.

Game 3 Geronimoo 27 - Powerman 28: A pretty cool game where I decide to build an engine around Worker's Village, Embassy, Bank and Haggler. It works nicely as I double Province turn 9, but then my deck doesn't give me any more mega turns and I even get one dead turn which is just enough for Powerman's more BM-ish deck to win the race. This one hurt since I felt I played it quite well.
This was a very, very surprising win here.  I thought I played it sub optimally + had some bad luck early on.  I buy the second last province and simply hope he can't buy the last one.  I'm not sure what he got in his last Embassy, but boy it must have been bad stuff.

Game 4 Geronimoo 46 - Powerman 56: I probably misplayed this a bit. I go for Masquerade/Silver and sort of BM with Caravans for support. My opponent however decides to get all the Caravans first and his trimmer more enginy deck with the single Ghost Ship probably give him the game. Maybe that Copper I trashed with Masquerade when I had $11 might have made me lose... ugh
The only game I thought I played well, and I still probably should have lost.  I had terrible luck early with getting to play my caravans, but eventually those start letting me draw my deck, and playing a GS every turn drags him to a crawl.  Again I gamble on the last province, but with playing a GS the turn before, I thought it was worth the risk.

Game 5 Geronimoo 91 - Powerman 39: Probably the coolest game of the bunch. There's Possession and Golem and Rabble and Throne Room. I open Royal Seal while my opponent opens Mandarin. Then I get a few Rabbles, a Potion and soon after a Golem and Possession. The Royal Seal is really good to get those bombs available quickly and Powerman tries to counter my Possessions with Saboteurs and greening quickly, but that's fine by me and I just build up my deck with plenty of Platinums instead of focusing on getting multiple Possessions played (which was an option had my opponent gone a different route). He doesn't really stand a chance...
This board I had ABSOLUTELY no idea what to do.  5/2 opening here was tough for both of us, I really don't know what is the best opening here.  I try to do something fancy with Mandarin, but really I play this terrible and he starts racking up platinums.

Fun, fast and weird games. Thx for playing, Powerman!!
Thanks to you too and the best of luck!
A man on a mission.

zporiri

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: zporiri
  • Go, and do likewise.
  • Respect: +130
    • View Profile
Go, and do likewise.

zporiri

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: zporiri
  • Go, and do likewise.
  • Respect: +130
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2012, 07:08:46 pm »

looks like i accidentally copied game 4 twice and forgot game 5, oops
Go, and do likewise.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2012, 06:59:56 pm »
+2

And to close out round 2, I get thoroughly shellacked. One of these games I played about as poorly as humanly possible. The others... well you'll see.

Young Nick over jonts26 3 games to 1.

Game 1: jonts26 28 - 41 Young Nick
So there was a chance for KC/Possession shenanigans. Young Nicks turn 3 Sea Hag really makes everything else moot though, particularly with a no trash game. And he flipped my turn 3 monument twice before I got to play it just to rub salt in the wound. Didn't end up particularly close.

Game 2: jonts26 21 - 60 Young Nick
This game.... I don't know where to start. We both went for a venture deck using steward to trash coppers. He opened Moneylender/Steward to my Silver/Steward. I think he might have had the right idea. Actually, steward/steward may have been best. Anyway, my steward misses the shuffle, his openings dont and dont collide and he ends the game on turn 15 with 6 colonies, buying one every turn starting turn 10. Which is just absurd.

Game 3: jonts26 33 - 31 Young Nick
Hey, I won one! The only game I feel I outplayed him. I went straight up wharf/big money. He went with some sort of wharf/apothecary engine. I don't think it was a great plan but he still made a game of it. I squeaked out a win.

Game 4: Young Nick 82 - 3 jonts26
I'll just pretend this one didn't happen. The only game where I was really outplayed, but what a game it was. Colony game. He went masq/big money. I was second player and fell behind on the money early, so instead of trying to follow him into it, I tried for a golem/bridge megaturn, but the only nonterminal being warehouse is what makes this so bad. And once he kept buying colonies I had no choice but to try to make the megaturn bigger and bigger except I could never quite pull it off. Mostly due to the warehouse being my nonterminal and reducing my handsize each play.

Anyway, congrats to Young Nick. Good luck in the future.

Young Nick

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2012, 07:09:02 pm »
+1

Young Nick (15) upsets jonts26 (2) 3-1!

The match featured two types of games: Mirrors that turn into run-aways via dumb luck and games where the loser dipped into Potions when that was not the best decision.

Dumb-Luck Game #1 (Game 1): j 28 - 41 YN. Key cards: Black Market, Sea Hag, King's Court.I open Cutpurse / Black Market to his Black Market / Silver. My terminals don't collide. He pulls Monument out of the BM deck. I pull Sea Hag. My Sea Hag flips his Monument on its first play. My Sea Hag flips his Monument on its second play. King's Court is a win-more card, anyway.

Dumb-Luck Game #2 (Game #2): j 21 - 60 YN. Key cards: Venture, Steward, Moneylender, Platinum & Colony. I open Moneylender / Steward. He opens Steward / Silver. My terminals don't collide. Sound familiar? Anyway, we both trash and then go for Ventures. I've bought 6 Colonies by turn 15. I actually felt obligated to apologize to jonts26 at this point because Lady Luck had smiled upon me in a silly fashion for these two games.

Why-Did-I-Go-Potion Game #1 (Game 3): j 33 - 31 YN. Key cards: Wharf, Apothecary. He goes Silver / Silver for an obvious BM + Wharf. I go Steward / Potion looking for Apothecary + Wharf. I never stood a chance, despite how close the score was. I had near-perfect draws and threatened to win it after pulling my fourth Province on turn 12. Before the game he remarked something like, "You're going to go and buy 6 Colonies by turn 13 again." After my turn 12, he mentioned that he was joking, but disappointed that I had heeded his advice. However, the better strategy prevailed and he won due to not trashing his Starting Estates and buying three of them later in the game.

Why-Did-I-Go-Potion Game #2 (Game 4). YN 82 - 3 j. Key cards: Masquerade, Loan, Golem, Warehouse, Bridge, Platinum & Colony. We both open Masquerade / Loan. I pick up a few Warehouses and then proceed to buy straight money (and one Council Room). He goes for a funky Golem-Warehouse-Bridge megaturn that clearly is never going to take off. Rather than clog his deck with VP's when he can afford them, he continues to buy engine pieces dreaming of an 8-Bridge turn to buy out lots of stuff. Unfortunately, Warehouse as the only non-terminal doesn't make that too easy. I end up pile-driving the Colonies.

I'd like to thank jonts26 for the match and understand his frustration over the first two games. If I were in his shoes, I would have already thrown my computer out the window. I say it's revenge for this!

Young Nick

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2012, 07:10:57 pm »

Yeah, jonts is, as usual, right on the money with his game summaries. Always a fun and classy opponent that jonts fellow.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 21 queries.