Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Author Topic: Cosmic Encounter V SIGNUPS OPEN  (Read 15948 times)

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
Cosmic Encounter V SIGNUPS OPEN
« on: August 27, 2012, 04:36:04 pm »

This is the signup thread for Cosmic Encounter.  Signups are open for IV which will start when either II or III end (or when both end if it gets too much work for me).

Please don't sign up if you are currently in a cosmic encounter game.

V:
PingPongSam - Yellow
sparky5856 - Orange
Grujah - Black
Voltgloss - Green
jotheonah - Purple
Galzria - Pink

"In Cosmic Encounter, each player is the leader of an alien race. The object of the game is to establish colonies in other players' planetary systems. Players take turns trying to establish colonies. The winner(s) are the first player(s) to have five colonies on any planets outside his or her home system. A player does not need to have colonies in all of the systems, just colonies on five planets outside his or her home system. These colonies may all be in one system or scattered over multiple systems. The players must use force, cunning, and diplomacy to ensure their victory."

Feel free to ask my any rules questions that pop up.  A link to the rules for the base set is located toward the end of this post.

This game will use aliens from all sets, and will use the Rewards deck variant from Cosmic Incursion.  If we have 8 players we will also be including the Large Group Cosmic Cards from Cosmic Alliance in the Cosmic Deck.

You will be given a choice of three aliens.  Please PM me your choice of alien.  Also PM me the flare out of the ones you didn't pick that you'd like to see in the deck.

Please send me Conditional Orders (COs) when you can.  This will speed the game up considerably. eg "If the offense invites me, I will send 3 ships to the offense, unless XYZ alien joins the defense with at least 2 ships" or "If I am Cosmic Zapped I will play my Card Zap to counter it"

CE Ruleset (adjusted mafia ruleset)

Game Rules:

1. Bold, blue text is reserved for the Mod. No invisible/small text is allowed, nor is cryptography.
2. There is to be NO personal communication outside of the forum postings unless your role PM specifically allows it. Mafia members may communicate at night and during the confirmation stage.
3. If you have an issue/problem with the game, please PM the Mod privately. Do not post issues/complaints in the game thread.
4. The Mod may make mistakes - please point out any mistakes gently. Mistakes will be corrected where possible, but sometimes mistakes are made that cannot be reversed. These will stand as final to be commiserated over after the game.
5. Please bold all requests to the Mod so that they don’t get missed.
6. If you anticipate being unavailable for more than a 48-hour period please post a notice to that effect in the thread. Treat this game as a commitment. Be considerate – don’t leave us hanging.

The Golden Rule:

Please remember that this is a game and your main objective is to have fun! Be considerate of each other, don’t get personal, and enjoy the game.

Helpful Links:

TO CLARIFY, I AM NOT A MODERATOR OF F.DS IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM.  IN THE CONTEXT OF THIS GAME, I AM MODERATING THAT THE RULES ARE FOLLOWED AND HIDDEN ACTIONS ARE COMPLETED PROPERLY.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 04:44:23 pm by Axxle »
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile

IN

Edit: Green
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
    • View Profile

Not in, would have no clue, just tagging so it appears in 'new replies' list
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile

Axxle is AWESOME!

IN

Yellow please!
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile

I could walk you through it :)
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile

I could walk you through it :)

I might need that help too, but I followed the first one a bit and will be reading the rules soon.
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile

I'd like to try this.  In, especially for a newbie game.  Ozle, come join me in learning how to play this!  EDIT:  Insom too!

And if we're picking colors... purple, please.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile

ininininin.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile

IN, YELLOW

dammit

whatever color then
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile

IN, YELLOW

dammit

whatever color then

HA! :)

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile

If there's still room, I'd like a shot at redemption.
A man has no signature

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile

i think this game of 5 is full but there's going to be another one running at the same time?
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile

i think this game of 5 is full but there's going to be another one running at the same time?
Yeah, I'm having this open as a signup thread and splitting up players afterwards.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
Re: Cosmic Encounter II (and III?) SIGNUPS OPEN
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 05:43:38 pm »

ohhh ok cool that makes sense

she/her

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile

Yeah, I'm having this open as a signup thread and splitting up players afterwards.

In that case...

/in again, and
/in again.

:P

Mafia Record:

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 05:45:42 pm »

Galz, let's first wait to see how many sign up.

But I can see myself /doublein too, if we have like, 8-9 players so its hard to split :-*  :P ;D

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 06:03:41 pm »

I don't think I want players in both games, since it'll make it more difficult to keep CO's straight, but if we need more players I'll keep that in mind.

Actually I might just create QTs for each player to keep things straight.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 06:08:29 pm »

I think we should just wait for 10 people to sign if we get to like 8 or 9.

Glooble

• Bishop
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 06:14:54 pm »

Well, I'll play. Maybe I'll actually get a turn this time.

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Check out my podcast: www.stppodcast.com

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2012, 06:17:41 pm »

Well, I'll play. Maybe I'll actually get a turn this time.

I don't think you, Cayvie or I ever got a turn. Nor were we attacked. :P

Mafia Record:

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2012, 06:18:20 pm »

Actually I might just create QTs for each player to keep things straight.

That's an awesome idea.

Yeah, definitely allow each player into only one game. I'm sure we won't be hurting for players. That was pretty fun.

And it's apparently fun for lurkers too, so hopefully they'll sign on. Knowledge of the game is not that important. All you really need to do is look up what the cards in your hand do. Everything else will come to you, whether you want it to or not.
A man has no signature

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2012, 06:30:50 pm »

well, apparently you can play reinforcements cards when you're not a main player

i didn't realize that until after the game

she/her

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2012, 08:08:50 am »

/in but I don't understand this game
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2012, 08:35:08 am »

You'll be fine. Read the official rulebook first. Don't even bother with the Cosmodex until you play. All those terms may overwhelm you, and there is little benefit to reading the whole thing, since some of them won't apply in the game you're in. Think of it as trying to memorize every Dominion card when you only need to focus on the 10/11 out there.

Once the game begins, then use the Cosmodex to learn about the alien powers you are handed. Then use it to read up on what the other players' powers can do. You don't want to be surprised. Then read up on the cards you have. Attack cards are easy enough. Read up on the other cards.

The thing to keep in mind is that CE is a political, highly swingy game. Utter newbies can win a game, and soi-disant experienced players can make dumb mistakes and throw the game. Although, more likely, an experienced player will cost the game because his hand simply sucks. 
A man has no signature

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2012, 08:37:55 am »

All you need to know is how combat resolves.
Ie attack vs attack, neg vs attack, neg vs neg, and what happens with main players/allies when one or other side wins.

Aside from that, rest is streamlined.

A vs A
--Higher total wins
--Losing side goes into warp
--If attacker wins, all ships on his side land on opposing planet
--If defender wins, defender allies draw a card from reward/cosmic for each ship they supplied

A vs N
--A wins instantly
--Same consequences as A vs A except that also,
--Loser gets to draw a card from winner for each ship lost (only main player)

N vs N
--A deal must be reached (Only main players are involved. Can offer opponent to land a ship on a planet, and cards from hand)
--If deal is not reached, both lose 3 ships.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 08:42:00 am by Grujah »

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2012, 09:56:36 am »

So how many planets are there? Is there like a board? That's the part that confuses me.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2012, 10:00:17 am »

I think each player has 5 planets (named "Alien Race A" through "Alien Race E") and starts with 4 ships on each planet (so 20 total).

And "landing" on another player's planet = establishing a colony there, right?

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2012, 10:06:46 am »

Volt is right on all accounts.

There is no board. Each player has 5 planets (they are cardboard cutouts IRL) which they put infront of themselves and there is a hypespace gate/cone that shows which player is attacking which planet).

This is how you set it up IRL:
http://boardgamegeek.com/image/609969/cosmic-encounter
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 10:08:52 am by Grujah »

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2012, 10:37:38 am »

Wow, they really reduced the quality imo. I own all the Mayfair expansions, which did indeed use a central board... Although I guess this way allows for a lager table... Still, it feels cheaper to me. :P

Mafia Record:

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2012, 11:08:37 am »

Wow, they really reduced the quality imo. I own all the Mayfair expansions, which did indeed use a central board... Although I guess this way allows for a lager table... Still, it feels cheaper to me. :P

I'm also accustomed to a board, but I can see how you don't really need one.

All you need to do is keep track of what's on your planets and where your colonies are. You also need something to represent the warp.

I've been used to the Mayfair board, but it really wasn't that important. It did provide a handy place to hold moons though, something that I believe did not carry over to the newer game (and probably for good reason). Even then, the board still wasn't necessary.
A man has no signature

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2012, 11:30:18 am »

But... But... Some of the Cheesy Moons were hilarious!

It all depended on the group I was playing with at the time. If we were treating it as a beer-and-peanuts game, the moons were a great addition. If we were playing more seriously, then not so much.

We never did get into playing the lucre with enjoyment.

Mafia Record:

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2012, 11:38:59 am »

We never did get into playing the lucre with enjoyment.

Agreed. I barely remember the lucre system, which tells you how much of an impact that made for me. I believe the main benefit of the lucre system was to create alien powers that depended on it. Without those powers, the lucre didn't really add to the game. It was just another resource to track.
A man has no signature

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2012, 01:16:20 pm »

You'll be fine. Read the official rulebook first. Don't even bother with the Cosmodex until you play. All those terms may overwhelm you, and there is little benefit to reading the whole thing, since some of them won't apply in the game you're in. Think of it as trying to memorize every Dominion card when you only need to focus on the 10/11 out there.

Once the game begins, then use the Cosmodex to learn about the alien powers you are handed. Then use it to read up on what the other players' powers can do. You don't want to be surprised. Then read up on the cards you have. Attack cards are easy enough. Read up on the other cards.

The thing to keep in mind is that CE is a political, highly swingy game. Utter newbies can win a game, and soi-disant experienced players can make dumb mistakes and throw the game. Although, more likely, an experienced player will cost the game because his hand simply sucks.
One thing to note is that you aren't going to win every encounter, so sometimes you shouldn't even try to win the encounter.  It's ok to throw the encounter to get rid of your crappy cards in many cases.
On the surface Cosmic Encounter might seem like a game all about the powers, but in a lot of ways it's a game about hand management.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 01:17:32 pm by Axxle »

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2012, 01:20:10 pm »

One thing to note is that you aren't going to win every encounter, so sometimes you shouldn't even try to win the encounter.  It's ok to throw the encounter to get rid of your crappy cards in many cases.
On the surface Cosmic Encounter might seem like a game all about the powers, but in a lot of ways it's a game about hand management.

Staaaaaart

Mafia Record:

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2012, 01:22:16 pm »

That's, what, 8 sign-ups so far (not including Ozle)?  Need at least 2 more to make two games of 5.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2012, 01:23:25 pm »

he could start 2 with the first 5 and leave this thread open for signips for 3 until he gets 2 more  ;D

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2012, 01:23:50 pm »

That's, what, 8 sign-ups so far (not including Ozle)?  Need at least 2 more to make two games of 5.

Staaaart game 1! ;P

Mafia Record:

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2012, 01:31:58 pm »

he could start 2 with the first 5 and leave this thread open for signips for 3 until he gets 2 more  ;D
Heh, I guess I could do that.  I was planning on having a experience player and less experience player games though.

signups so far:
Insomniac - Green
Galzria - Yellow
Voltgloss - Purple
Grujah -
Cayvie - Yellow
Kuildeous -
Glooble
Jotheonah

Not signed up:
Ozle
Everyone else
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 06:02:19 pm by Axxle »

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2012, 01:42:33 pm »

Heh, I guess I could do that.  I was planning on having a experience player and less experience player games though.

signups so far:
Galzria
Voltgloss
Grujah
Cayvie
Kuildeous
Glooble
Jotheonah

Not signed up:
Ozle
Everyone else

Uhh I thought I said I was in :(

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2012, 01:45:09 pm »

Yeah, you were first /in, with a color claim even!

Mafia Record:

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2012, 01:48:32 pm »

Youre in.  Not sure how tlyou fell off the list

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2012, 01:49:39 pm »

2 more!

Common, guys!

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2012, 02:28:37 pm »

read the rules pretty sure I understand how to play now.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2012, 12:15:00 pm »

Aaaaxxle!

Start game 1! Or start sending out random PM's to other regular f.DS forum games regulars with a link to this thread telling them to come sign up.

Mafia Record:

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2012, 02:03:44 pm »

The sticky has been updated so hopefully that may bring someone along.

At least I hope so.

As a reminder to anyone lurking out there, you don't need a lot of experience. You don't need to read the whole Cosmodex to know what's going on.

A man has no signature

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2012, 02:11:09 pm »

STAAAAAAAAAART Game 1!

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2012, 02:15:05 pm »

OK

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile

Mafia Record:

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
Re: Cosmic Encounter III SIGNUPS OPEN
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2012, 02:28:15 pm »

I /in'd via pm but I suppose I'll /in here for CEIII too.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2012, 02:40:33 pm »

Don't forget to choose your color :)

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2012, 02:51:43 pm »

Orange!

Glooble

• Bishop
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2012, 06:16:36 pm »

Green, please.

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Check out my podcast: www.stppodcast.com

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2012, 07:19:16 pm »

Lekkit is our fifth.  I will setup the game when I can.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
Re: Cosmic Encounter IV SIGNUPS OPEN
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2012, 07:24:35 pm »

If IV allows for dupes, /in

However, that /in will be accompanied by the caveat that I'm very willing to sit if 5 NEW names show up.

Mafia Record:

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2012, 07:27:44 pm »

Hmm, two games of CE? That'd be tempting.

I assume IV opened up because there's that much demand, so I'll hop in if there is need for a dupe to fill out the table. Otherwise, I'm happy to watch new players fumble around.

Besides, if I play in IV, then what am I going to do about my avatar?
A man has no signature

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2012, 07:34:30 pm »

Hmm, two games of CE? That'd be tempting.

I assume IV opened up because there's that much demand, so I'll hop in if there is need for a dupe to fill out the table. Otherwise, I'm happy to watch new players fumble around.

Besides, if I play in IV, then what am I going to do about my avatar?

Change to Sig's, with C-II / C-IV next to each?

Mafia Record:

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2012, 07:37:22 pm »

I suppose that would be easier than Photoshopping two icons into one image.
A man has no signature

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2012, 07:59:28 pm »

Thoughts of having IV be power madness? Two powers each? Maybe hidden powers?

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2012, 08:02:20 pm »

Thoughts of having IV be power madness? Two powers each? Maybe hidden powers?

Haven't played hidden, would LOVE double-madness.

Mafia Record:

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2012, 08:02:53 pm »

Ka-razy!

I'm up for anything if this isn't a newbie game.
A man has no signature

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2012, 09:05:30 pm »

I was nice and deleted my post over in CE-III*

*(CE-IV by it's original name. :P)

Mafia Record:

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2012, 09:17:47 pm »

No proof

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2012, 09:23:57 pm »

No proof

You're right, I don't run Chrome.

Mafia Record:

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2012, 09:25:52 pm »

No proof

You're right, I don't run Chrome.

Or I could just be lying scum.

Mafia Record:

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2012, 09:27:06 pm »

Shooped

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2012, 09:33:43 pm »

Huuuuuuuuuuuuury Axxle, There are Cosmic 2 actions pending!

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2012, 09:36:56 pm »

Huuuuuuuuuuuuury Axxle, There are Cosmic 2 actions pending!

Lol poor guy.

Mafia Record:

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 29, 2012, 09:45:52 pm »

Double powers are suuuuper fun and hidden powers are great too. We usually play double-hidden powers. It would be more confusing via forum though. Just means more things to keep track of.

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2012, 09:55:49 pm »

Double powers are suuuuper fun and hidden powers are great too. We usually play double-hidden powers. It would be more confusing via forum though. Just means more things to keep track of.
I've played double powers with one hidden in a forum setting before.  Hidden filth is up there in top cosmicness.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2012, 03:33:22 pm »

Is thing still open? Early man out of BMV so I'll try this thingie instead.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2012, 03:35:02 pm »

Is thing still open? Early man out of BMV so I'll try this thingie instead.
Next game probably won't start for another few weeks, but signups are open.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2012, 01:06:52 pm »

I'd be willing to be in for this if there's still spots. It looks like it involves a lot less reading than mafia.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2012, 01:15:20 pm »

/in ofc. So much easier to follow along than Mafia, much less demanding.

Mafia Record:

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2012, 01:16:54 pm »

/in

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2012, 02:30:19 pm »

Since Dsell won't be in my game can I be orange?

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2012, 02:41:36 pm »

Yep, sorry about that, he asked right about the same time he opened the new game thread. XD

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2012, 02:45:55 pm »

I'd be willing to be in for this if there's still spots. It looks like it involves a lot less reading than mafia.
Plenty of spots.

CE II looks like it *might* be wrapping up? IV will start after it finishes.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2012, 02:47:00 pm »

Plenty of spots.

Double powers? Hidden? What we gettin?

Mafia Record:

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2012, 02:51:02 pm »

Plenty of spots.

I think I'll come up with some stupidly powerful, but beatable, sets of double powers and let you all pick between two sets.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2012, 02:56:11 pm »

Plenty of spots.

I think I'll come up with some stupidly powerful, but beatable, sets of double powers and let you all pick between two sets.

Wait wait wait. This is gonna be a crazy game with awesome combos? If so, and if there are still spots, then /in. If not, then /in for whichever game has all the craziness.

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2012, 03:10:55 pm »

Wait wait wait. This is gonna be a crazy game with awesome combos? If so, and if there are still spots, then /in. If not, then /in for whichever game has all the craziness.
Hmm... I'll have two games open for signup.

IV is going to be the crazy powered game.
V will be a normal game.

Everyone, please let me know which one you want to be in. (Not both)

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
Re: Cosmic Encounter IV/V SIGNUPS OPEN
« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2012, 03:11:32 pm »

IN for IV - Green

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 11, 2012, 03:13:59 pm »

;D

I'll nab Black.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 11, 2012, 03:14:47 pm »

;D

I'll nab Black.

Sweet, if we ever team up I'm calling us the halloween team.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 11, 2012, 03:18:32 pm »

;D

I'll nab Black.

Sweet, if we ever team up I'm calling us the halloween team.

You know what they say about black...goes with everything!

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 11, 2012, 03:20:14 pm »

/in iv purple

Mafia Record:

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 11, 2012, 03:24:08 pm »

I would like to be a part of IV with red.

My alternate is V also with red.
A man has no signature

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 11, 2012, 03:51:16 pm »

In for V since it is my 1st game, dunno, is Yellow a viable color to pick?
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 11, 2012, 03:52:40 pm »

Yeah, yellow is viable.  I really would allow most colors even if it doesn't exist in the physical game (like allowing joth to be grey)

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 11, 2012, 03:58:31 pm »

Yeah, yellow is viable.  I really would allow most colors even if it doesn't exist in the physical game (like allowing joth to be grey)

It had not actually occurred to me that we were picking based on the game colors. I was just picking based on the colors we could easily use in the Change Color drop-down menu.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 11, 2012, 07:23:20 pm »

yeah, i'm /in for another.

yellow if it's available.

she/her

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 11, 2012, 07:26:43 pm »

crazy double powers
or vanilla?

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 11, 2012, 07:35:42 pm »

crazy double powers
or vanilla?

uhh i don't know the rules well enough yet for double powers i don't think

she/her

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 11, 2012, 07:38:11 pm »

crazy double powers
or vanilla?

You do you do it's so fun!

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 11, 2012, 07:40:38 pm »

crazy double powers
or vanilla?

You can be yellow! (Yellow's taken in the vanilla one)

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 11, 2012, 07:43:07 pm »

jeez peer pressure

ok fine KrAyZeE dOuBlE pOwErS

she/her

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 11, 2012, 07:44:17 pm »

crazy double powers
or vanilla?

You can be yellow! (Yellow's taken in the vanilla one)

Also I gotta say I'm super excited about pre-selected double powers. If you do any future games like this that I'm not a part of I would love to help choose some strong combos/back-up mod (as if that's needed in Cosmic...).

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 11, 2012, 08:15:47 pm »

I'd be in crazy double powers :P

sparky5856

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 11, 2012, 08:49:23 pm »

This sounds like a fun game. I'll be an anti-conformist and choose Plaid as my ship color please.

...so I can't do that? I'll be Orange then if I can, in the V game, since it's my first one. I don't think I can handle double-powers as a newbie.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 12, 2012, 03:04:57 pm »

In for V PURPLE

He/him

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 12, 2012, 03:39:12 pm »

Move me to V, don't want a 7 player game.

Also I can be black again that way.

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 14, 2012, 04:32:13 pm »

I have a decent list of double power combinations, but everyone feel free to send me some you think are interesting.  You might just get it!

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 07, 2012, 02:56:30 pm »

I have a decent list of double power combinations, but everyone feel free to send me some you think are interesting.  You might just get it!

Stump? ;D

Mafia Record:

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 07, 2012, 03:01:11 pm »

I'll probably get this started tomorrow.  Family in town this weekend.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 07, 2012, 07:31:01 pm »

I'll probably get this started tomorrow.  Family in town this weekend.

Ooooh. Can't wait. I'm actually kind of jonesing.
A man has no signature

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 08, 2012, 06:35:45 pm »

/anticipation

Mafia Record:

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 08, 2012, 07:19:28 pm »

finalizing choices

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 08, 2012, 07:20:00 pm »

finalizing choices

reticulating splines

she/her

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 08, 2012, 07:44:35 pm »

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 08, 2012, 11:47:39 pm »

I can't believe what I turned down... I'm having buyers remorse already.

Mafia Record:

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 09, 2012, 12:02:43 am »

I just want to say that I love Cosmic so much.

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 09, 2012, 12:08:09 am »

You might be glad after you see some of the other powers in the game.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 09, 2012, 12:12:55 am »

You might be glad after you see some of the other powers in the game.

I kinds took that into consideration, and that the candy just might not be as sweet as it looked. :P

Mafia Record:

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
Re: Cosmic Encounter V SIGNUPS OPEN
« Reply #114 on: October 09, 2012, 12:29:43 am »

The thread for CEIV is open: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=4952.0

I still need to setup spreadsheets and such.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 09, 2012, 10:25:42 am »

Is CE V a normal game?  (as in, just one alien power per player)

If so, and if there's still a slot (looks like there is), then please sign me up.  Color = Blue.

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 09, 2012, 12:37:10 pm »

If so, and if there's still a slot (looks like there is), then please sign me up.  Color = Blue.
yes and Yes!

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 09, 2012, 02:46:29 pm »

I'm glad you're liking Cosmic!

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 11, 2012, 03:45:49 pm »

I am, I am indeed. 

I also note that Blue is kind of an inconvenient color for Axxle, seeing as how it's his mod-text color.  So I will switch to using Green instead.

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 11, 2012, 03:47:39 pm »

I am, I am indeed. 

I also note that Blue is kind of an inconvenient color for Axxle, seeing as how it's his mod-text color.  So I will switch to using Green instead.
I can change my color to green for that game, doesn't matter to me.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 11, 2012, 03:50:11 pm »

I can change my color to green for that game, doesn't matter to me.

Thanks, but I personally think large swathes of blue text are easier to read then green, so I'd prefer to switch my color over to Green while you keep using Blue.

My preferred color is Purple anyway but that was taken this time  ;D

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 11, 2012, 04:18:57 pm »

/out

He/him

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 11, 2012, 04:21:07 pm »

Mafia Record:

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 11, 2012, 04:22:57 pm »

Stupid cayvie stole my stupid cards in CEIII and I'm really upset about it. I don't understand this game, I've never played IRL and it's too much of a pain to have to keep referring to that Cosmodex everytime I draw a card or anyone plays a card, I've screwed up the rules like a million times and I don't think I've taken a single colony yet.

TL;DR I'm pretty sure this game is not for me.

He/him

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 11, 2012, 04:30:39 pm »

I would agree that it's not for everyone.

It might help to keep in mind that CE is one of the swingiest games out there. You can have tactics, but never plan for the long haul.

And it is unbalancing as hell, which is mitigated by the fact that other players should gang up on the winner.

If those don't put you at ease, then maybe the chaos of CE is not your cup of tea. I always hope people like it, but I can't make them like it.

Though, looking up cards is temporary. Of course, if you're playing IRL where you could actually read them in front of you, then it'd be easier. Imagine someone trying to play Dominion where the text isn't easily viewable. If you're not used to the game, it'd be maddening.
A man has no signature

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 11, 2012, 04:31:37 pm »

Yeah, that's a big part of it. But now that I've calmed down a little bit I no longer feel the desire to rage quit this game. So, back /in.

He/him

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 11, 2012, 04:32:23 pm »

Stupid cayvie stole my stupid cards in CEIII and I'm really upset about it. I don't understand this game, I've never played IRL and it's too much of a pain to have to keep referring to that Cosmodex everytime I draw a card or anyone plays a card, I've screwed up the rules like a million times and I don't think I've taken a single colony yet.

:(

I really think it matches you though... But I can fully understand frustrating powers that just dominate. There is SO much wonderful variety, but it does cause some things to be unbalanced sometimes.

Don't get frustrated. Cosmic is supposed to be played as a beer and peanuts game. Very non-serious. Just enjoy the craziness of it, win or lose. I never used my power even a single time last game, because everybody ganged up against me, but I still had fun! Shrug it off and enjoy the "I can't believe that just happened!". It's supposed to be somewhat silly.

You should give it a second chance. It's certainly more fast-paced and enjoyable irl, but it converts surprisingly well. If Axxle will let me, I'll /in on this game as well, and play along with you, helping out where I can. I'll play a very Universe friendly role, trying to help everyone to win together. But you should definitely rejoin.

Mafia Record:

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 11, 2012, 04:33:33 pm »

I'm tempted, but I know nothing about this game.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 11, 2012, 04:33:57 pm »

I'm tempted, but I know nothing about this game.

I didn't either when I joined CEII. but it's really fun.

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 11, 2012, 04:36:48 pm »

:(

I really think it matches you though... But I can fully understand frustrating powers that just dominate. There is SO much wonderful variety, but it does cause some things to be unbalanced sometimes.

Don't get frustrated. Cosmic is supposed to be played as a beer and peanuts game. Very non-serious. Just enjoy the craziness of it, win or lose. I never used my power even a single time last game, because everybody ganged up against me, but I still had fun! Shrug it off and enjoy the "I can't believe that just happened!". It's supposed to be somewhat silly.

You should give it a second chance. It's certainly more fast-paced and enjoyable irl, but it converts surprisingly well. If Axxle will let me, I'll /in on this game as well, and play along with you, helping out where I can. I'll play a very Universe friendly role, trying to help everyone to win together. But you should definitely rejoin.
I shouldn't have let him pick Zombie.  It's down there on the power level scale.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 11, 2012, 04:37:42 pm »

zombie is bad? really? huh.

she/her

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 11, 2012, 04:37:49 pm »

It SEEMS powerful, but actually it's like Elves in Small World.

He/him

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 11, 2012, 04:38:45 pm »

Galz I didn't gang up on you! I just beat the peanuts and beer out of you when you attacked me :P

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 11, 2012, 04:38:56 pm »

zombie is bad? really? huh.

Hand management beats unit management 99% of the time.

Mafia Record:

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 11, 2012, 04:39:25 pm »

Galz I didn't gang up on you! I just beat the peanuts and beer out of you when you attacked me :P

Yeah. You and everybody else. ;D

Mafia Record:

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 11, 2012, 04:40:15 pm »

I shouldn't have let him pick Zombie.  It's down there on the power level scale.

Eh? Really? I kinda disagree, although that's probably because I play almost exclusively 2-power games, where zombie is often a fantastic addition to another power.

I think it can be pretty strong, though probably not top-tier.

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 11, 2012, 04:40:23 pm »

Even worse: in FFG Zombie can't even collect compensation, so they actually lose a major part of hand management that all other aliens get.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 11, 2012, 04:42:51 pm »

Even worse: in FFG Zombie can't even collect compensation, so they actually lose a major part of hand management that all other aliens get.

Anyway, if there's room, I'll happily /in on this one as well, as the friendly neighborhood helper. If it's full, or others want in, I'll gladly step back.

Mafia Record:

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 11, 2012, 04:43:46 pm »

Eh? Really? I kinda disagree, although that's probably because I play almost exclusively 2-power games, where zombie is often a fantastic addition to another power.

Oh! Low doublepower game:
Zombie/Hacker
Virus/Antimatter
Mutant/Genius
Warhawk/Pacifist
Sadist/Healer

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 11, 2012, 04:45:41 pm »

Oh! Low doublepower game:
Zombie/Hacker
Virus/Antimatter
Mutant/Genius
Warhawk/Pacifist
Sadist/Healer

Zombie/Masochist

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 11, 2012, 04:51:35 pm »

Fodder/Anti-Matter

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 11, 2012, 05:09:31 pm »

I though you never played before, Volt?  ;D ;D

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 11, 2012, 05:12:04 pm »

I though you never played before, Volt?  ;D ;D

Never played before CE-II, but I did a lot of Cosmodex consulting while that game was going on!
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 19 queries.