Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Cosmic Encounter V SIGNUPS OPEN  (Read 15783 times)

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
Cosmic Encounter V SIGNUPS OPEN
« on: August 27, 2012, 04:36:04 pm »

This is the signup thread for Cosmic Encounter.  Signups are open for IV which will start when either II or III end (or when both end if it gets too much work for me).

Please don't sign up if you are currently in a cosmic encounter game.

V:
PingPongSam - Yellow
sparky5856 - Orange
Grujah - Black
Voltgloss - Green
jotheonah - Purple
Galzria - Pink

"In Cosmic Encounter, each player is the leader of an alien race. The object of the game is to establish colonies in other players' planetary systems. Players take turns trying to establish colonies. The winner(s) are the first player(s) to have five colonies on any planets outside his or her home system. A player does not need to have colonies in all of the systems, just colonies on five planets outside his or her home system. These colonies may all be in one system or scattered over multiple systems. The players must use force, cunning, and diplomacy to ensure their victory."

Feel free to ask my any rules questions that pop up.  A link to the rules for the base set is located toward the end of this post.

This game will use aliens from all sets, and will use the Rewards deck variant from Cosmic Incursion.  If we have 8 players we will also be including the Large Group Cosmic Cards from Cosmic Alliance in the Cosmic Deck.

You will be given a choice of three aliens.  Please PM me your choice of alien.  Also PM me the flare out of the ones you didn't pick that you'd like to see in the deck.

Please send me Conditional Orders (COs) when you can.  This will speed the game up considerably. eg "If the offense invites me, I will send 3 ships to the offense, unless XYZ alien joins the defense with at least 2 ships" or "If I am Cosmic Zapped I will play my Card Zap to counter it"

CE Ruleset (adjusted mafia ruleset)

Game Rules:

1. Bold, blue text is reserved for the Mod. No invisible/small text is allowed, nor is cryptography.
2. There is to be NO personal communication outside of the forum postings unless your role PM specifically allows it. Mafia members may communicate at night and during the confirmation stage.
3. If you have an issue/problem with the game, please PM the Mod privately. Do not post issues/complaints in the game thread.
4. The Mod may make mistakes - please point out any mistakes gently. Mistakes will be corrected where possible, but sometimes mistakes are made that cannot be reversed. These will stand as final to be commiserated over after the game.
5. Please bold all requests to the Mod so that they don’t get missed.
6. If you anticipate being unavailable for more than a 48-hour period please post a notice to that effect in the thread. Treat this game as a commitment. Be considerate – don’t leave us hanging.

The Golden Rule:

Please remember that this is a game and your main objective is to have fun! Be considerate of each other, don’t get personal, and enjoy the game.

Helpful Links:

TO CLARIFY, I AM NOT A MODERATOR OF F.DS IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM.  IN THE CONTEXT OF THIS GAME, I AM MODERATING THAT THE RULES ARE FOLLOWED AND HIDDEN ACTIONS ARE COMPLETED PROPERLY.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 04:44:23 pm by Axxle »
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile

IN

Edit: Green
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
    • View Profile

Not in, would have no clue, just tagging so it appears in 'new replies' list
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile

Axxle is AWESOME!

IN

Yellow please!
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile

I could walk you through it :)
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile

I could walk you through it :)

I might need that help too, but I followed the first one a bit and will be reading the rules soon.
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile

I'd like to try this.  In, especially for a newbie game.  Ozle, come join me in learning how to play this!  EDIT:  Insom too!

And if we're picking colors... purple, please.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile

ininininin.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile

IN, YELLOW

dammit

whatever color then
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile

IN, YELLOW

dammit

whatever color then

HA! :)

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile

If there's still room, I'd like a shot at redemption.
A man has no signature

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile

i think this game of 5 is full but there's going to be another one running at the same time?
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile

i think this game of 5 is full but there's going to be another one running at the same time?
Yeah, I'm having this open as a signup thread and splitting up players afterwards.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
Re: Cosmic Encounter II (and III?) SIGNUPS OPEN
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 05:43:38 pm »

ohhh ok cool that makes sense

she/her

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile

Yeah, I'm having this open as a signup thread and splitting up players afterwards.

In that case...

/in again, and
/in again.

:P

Mafia Record:

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 05:45:42 pm »

Galz, let's first wait to see how many sign up.

But I can see myself /doublein too, if we have like, 8-9 players so its hard to split :-*  :P ;D

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 06:03:41 pm »

I don't think I want players in both games, since it'll make it more difficult to keep CO's straight, but if we need more players I'll keep that in mind.

Actually I might just create QTs for each player to keep things straight.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 06:08:29 pm »

I think we should just wait for 10 people to sign if we get to like 8 or 9.

Glooble

• Bishop
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 06:14:54 pm »

Well, I'll play. Maybe I'll actually get a turn this time.

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Check out my podcast: www.stppodcast.com

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2012, 06:17:41 pm »

Well, I'll play. Maybe I'll actually get a turn this time.

I don't think you, Cayvie or I ever got a turn. Nor were we attacked. :P

Mafia Record:

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2012, 06:18:20 pm »

Actually I might just create QTs for each player to keep things straight.

That's an awesome idea.

Yeah, definitely allow each player into only one game. I'm sure we won't be hurting for players. That was pretty fun.

And it's apparently fun for lurkers too, so hopefully they'll sign on. Knowledge of the game is not that important. All you really need to do is look up what the cards in your hand do. Everything else will come to you, whether you want it to or not.
A man has no signature

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2012, 06:30:50 pm »

well, apparently you can play reinforcements cards when you're not a main player

i didn't realize that until after the game

she/her

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2012, 08:08:50 am »

/in but I don't understand this game
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2012, 08:35:08 am »

/in but I don't understand this game

You'll be fine. Read the official rulebook first. Don't even bother with the Cosmodex until you play. All those terms may overwhelm you, and there is little benefit to reading the whole thing, since some of them won't apply in the game you're in. Think of it as trying to memorize every Dominion card when you only need to focus on the 10/11 out there.

Once the game begins, then use the Cosmodex to learn about the alien powers you are handed. Then use it to read up on what the other players' powers can do. You don't want to be surprised. Then read up on the cards you have. Attack cards are easy enough. Read up on the other cards.

The thing to keep in mind is that CE is a political, highly swingy game. Utter newbies can win a game, and soi-disant experienced players can make dumb mistakes and throw the game. Although, more likely, an experienced player will cost the game because his hand simply sucks. 
A man has no signature

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2012, 08:37:55 am »

All you need to know is how combat resolves.
Ie attack vs attack, neg vs attack, neg vs neg, and what happens with main players/allies when one or other side wins.

Aside from that, rest is streamlined.

A vs A
--Higher total wins
--Losing side goes into warp
--If attacker wins, all ships on his side land on opposing planet
--If defender wins, defender allies draw a card from reward/cosmic for each ship they supplied

A vs N
--A wins instantly
--Same consequences as A vs A except that also,
--Loser gets to draw a card from winner for each ship lost (only main player)

N vs N
--A deal must be reached (Only main players are involved. Can offer opponent to land a ship on a planet, and cards from hand)
--If deal is not reached, both lose 3 ships.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 08:42:00 am by Grujah »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 19 queries.