Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominion - Entering the Dungeon  (Read 3546 times)

Eistee

• Baron
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
Dominion - Entering the Dungeon
« on: August 27, 2012, 04:16:15 pm »

Entering a Dungeon is dangerous. You never know what might happen - is this way the right one? Or that one over there? That Scallywag earlier told you to always head right. But isn't right on the left side and left on the right side once you turn around? You slowly get doubts about your decicion. All you know is that at the end of this cave, treasure awaits. However, you don't even know what kind of treasure. The one who told you about it actually seemed quite confused, now that you think about it. Whith his pile of hats in the backyard and a stuffed penguin on his shoulder. What if all you find is a stupid hat at the end? Or even worse, a letter telling you that friendship is the real treasure? While we're at it, you seem to have lost some of your companions on the way. Not that it matters. The greater good, and stuff. They had to go. You're the boss. Is that light back there? Not that I'm getting my hopes up. It's probably just a damn Obstacle again. Stupid obstacles, startin' to get on my nerves, always in the way.

As soon as I find my way out again, I'm going to buy a hat to show this place who's boss.

---

So, you're over the cheap, Donald-Rip-Off-Intro-Text now, hm? Wanna see some cards? Alright, here you go, my friend! But keep in mind that this Dungeon is yet to be fully explored. If you find a hat on your way, hand it to me. I like hats.

-Seperate V1-
Action - (3)
+1 Coin
Reveal your hand. If there are no duplicate cards in it, gain a Gold. Otherwise, gain a Silver.
-

-Seperate V2-
Action - (5)
Reveal your hand. If there are no duplicate cards in it, gain a Gold. Otherwise, gain a Silver.
+2 Cards
-
A Menagerie rip-off, obviously. Priced at (5) because drawing cards and gaining Silver / Gold might turn out quite strong, actually, even though always gaining the same kills the variety needed in your deck to gain Gold.
The second version is weaker. I won't make it a card without an effect on its own, because that's boring. +1 Buy is no good on this. +1 Card is boring. +1 Coin seems okay to me. +1 Action is too good, I think.

-Companion-
Action - (4)
+1 Card
+1 Action
If this is the first time you play a Companion this turn, name a card.
---
While this is in play, the card you named when you played the first Companion costs (1) less, but no less than (0).
During your Clean-Up Phase, you may trash this. If you do: +1 Card.
-
Yeah, I posted this card before, but now I plucked a "You may trash" on it for more Fun. Also, sometimes you have to sacrifice your friends to move on. That's just like it is. Or isn't it? Would they help you more in the long run? Who knows...

-Fountain of Fortune-
Treasure - (5)
Worth: (0)
When you play this, gain a Silver, putting it into your hand.
---
When you trash this, every other player gains a Copper.
-
It's a pretty simple card. I don't think it is too weak, but I'm not sure. I added the "On-Trash" because it's a Fountain of Fortune. And well, it gives something to everybody.

-Loot-
Trasure -Victory - (3)
Wort: (1)
When you play this, reveal the top card of your deck. If it is a treasure, put it into your hand. If it is an action, put it back or discard it, your choice. If it is neiter a trasure nor an action, discard it.
---
1 VP
-
A "simple" card. Since it's loot, you never know what you get, so it's a bit of everything. It's a treasure that plays like an action that also gives VP. I like it... do you also?

OBSTACLE CARDS

-Obstacle-
Action - (0)
+1 Card
+1 Action
(This is not in the supply.)
-
There are 10 Obstacles in play for each player, unlike Curses and Ruinses. With two players, you have 10 Curses, but 20 Obscacles. With 3 player, 20 Curses, 30 Obstacles, and so on...
This one seems pointless, doesn't it? It actually is, without the following three cards. But move on...

-Hallway-
Action - Attack - (3)
+1 Card
+1 Action
Every other player gains an Obstacle.
Every other player reveals his hand. If he has at least one Obstacle in his hand, he trashes one of them and gains a curse.
-
Obstacles on their own aren't that bad as long as you know a way around them. Sometimes, however, they will block your way through the dungeon. Ah, I'm not sure with the name of this one, by the way.

-Ghost Town-
Action - Duration - (4)
+1 Card
+1 Buy
+1 Coin
Every other player gains an Obstacle
At the start of your next turn: +1 Action
---
As long as this card is in play, whenever another player plays an Obstacle, he gains a curse and may trash the Obstacle.
No matter how many Ghost Towns are in play, a player cannot gain more than one curse per played Obstacle.
-
When you enter a Ghost Town, you're quite positive about it at firest - all the stuff possibly waiting for you to be grabbed! After a day in that spooky, lonely place whithout anything valuable you can't wait to get out. You'd even ask that Margrave or that Smithy-Guys you never really liked to help you.

-Scallywag-
Action - Attack - (5)
+3 Cards
Every other player may discard an Obstacle. If he doesn't, he gains an obstacle and a curse.
You may gain an obstacle. If you do: +1 Coin
-
That's the guy who told you about this godforsaken place! Guess all he wanted in the end was your hat.

-Bandit Hideout-
Action - Reaction - (5)
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Coin
Every other player gains an Obstacle.
---
When another player plays an Obstacle, you may set this aside from your hand. If you do, then at the start of your next turn, +1 Card, +1 Action and return this to your hand.
-
If you're not hindered by an Obstacle, the Bandit's won't do much. However, as soon as your sight is blocked, they pull out their strongest moves to bring you down!

So, what do you think? About the "Obstacle", especially? Criticism is always welcome.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 01:14:37 pm by Eistee »

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
Re: Dominion - Entering the Dungeon
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 04:30:30 pm »

The Obstacle idea is cool.  You'd have 10 per player, I assume?  They're better than Ruins, more or less, so the attacks that dish them out can be more aggressive.  And occasionally they can make a real difference, such as with Conspirator, Peddler, TR/KC, HoP, etc.

When would you ever NOT take an Obstacle when you play Scallywag, BTW?  With Ghost Town and Hallway in the mix, they could be liabilities, and they could stall out a Hunting Party stack, and terminal draw might choke on them too -- but most of the time they won't hurt your deck and might even help, so it's strange for a card to present the choice as if +$1 for an Obstacle is a trade-off.

Eistee

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 04:34:39 pm »

The Obstacle idea is cool.  You'd have 10 per player, I assume?  They're better than Ruins, more or less, so the attacks that dish them out can be more aggressive.  And occasionally they can make a real difference, such as with Conspirator, Peddler, TR/KC, HoP, etc.

When would you ever NOT take an Obstacle when you play Scallywag, BTW?  With Ghost Town and Hallway in the mix, they could be liabilities, and they could stall out a Hunting Party stack, and terminal draw might choke on them too -- but most of the time they won't hurt your deck and might even help, so it's strange for a card to present the choice as if +$1 for an Obstacle is a trade-off.

First of all, thanks for the positive reaction. And yes, there are 10 obstacles per player, forgot to write that down.
You're kind of right with Scallywag, though. I though that since you discard them to him, you basically lose 1 Card if it's in your hand, which isn't true. They still can be a liability in Village-less games since they screw up your terminal draws. Guess I gotta think about that "You may" a bit longer. Crossing it out for now.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 04:56:43 pm »

I think Separate needs to cost more.  +2 Cards on top of Silver gaining is decent.  With Gold gaining possibility, I would say that this would be $5.

How does the Ghost Town "discard if you have a Ghost Town in play" thing work?  Is the point that you can't have more than one GT in play at a time, so as to limit how many Curses a player would receive from a single Obstacle?  If so, your fix only works in 2p.

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 05:07:46 pm »

Attacks with obstacles all involve cursing ^^ (Ghost town looks like an attack, right ?) maybe there should be more ideas to find, because it looks great (yeah, the Conspirator and TR families are coming)...
And Scallywag looks like Mountebank but the fact you have to discard an "unknown card hidden behind the obstacle" makes it really... fun ! (although 99% of people with obstacle in hand without watchtower/trader will choose to discard it when curses remaining ?)
Hallway settles the battle for obstacles. You have to hope you don't have obstacles in your hand, both to save them and to dodge the curses. Seems not interesting enough to me. And why would revealing hand be mandatory if you can trash an obstacle from your hand ?

I like GT and Scallywag for the dilemnas, and Hallway a bit less. But it's obviously personal.

Separate : Dive into the diversity, like in Cornucopia !!! But the +2 cards look unnecessary. You are already happy to draw three with menagerie (not so hard to trigger), so gaining a gold, okay, but then draw two... i'm scepticious
To compare it, look at Governor : you can choose either to draw 3 or to gain a gold.

Companion : A much weaker highway but still interesting. No advantages after you played the first card, besides the trashing, which makes you begin with... a larger hand next turn (I presume). Can be nice (and it is thematically sadistic as you choose by yourself to abandon your companion.). I love it because it is risky... but not interesting enough.
And it has ONE big enemy : reducing handsize attack. (Especially Minion !)

Now I hope (HoP ?^^ Boosted by obstacles ?) that you will have interesting treasures and victories, because you can find a lot of stuff in a dungeon !!! And keep track of the obstacles but don't create too many cards with obstacles.
And I wonder : could some non-attack cards depending from obstacles be fun ? (besides HoPs and so on...)
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 05:22:05 pm »

If you are going to have cards interact with Obstacles, notice that the obstacles are actions, so drawing them with terminal draw is a bad thing. A card could interact with that fact. Maybe obstacles that are discarded during the cleanup step cause problems...

Eistee

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 12:55:34 pm »

Hello, guys.

1. Ghost Town is "fixed", it isn't discarded anymore. However, now only one is enough for the curse-effect. If that is a good thing, I don't know. Anyone have any ideas on how to improve Ghost Town so that its "While in Play"-Effect gets better without being overly broken? It does not have to stay a curser.
2. I bumped "Sperate" to (5) in its current version and added a second one. I like the original one more, though.
3. Three new cards: Bandit Hideout, Fountain of Fortune and Loot!
4. I need your general opinion: Is a card that gives Obstacles automatically an attack?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 03:54:37 am by Eistee »

Eistee

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 01:07:04 pm »

Now it REALLY is updated.

Also, Obstacle rules are set now. You play with 10 per player, unlike Curses and Ruinses (with curses, you have 10 per player -10).
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 01:08:49 pm by Eistee »

Eistee

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 03:56:09 am »

I don't want to be an attention-grabber, but I'd like to hear some more opinions on the cards, especially the three new ones.

Thank you! =)

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 07:15:08 am »

I think Separate needs to cost more.  +2 Cards on top of Silver gaining is decent.  With Gold gaining possibility, I would say that this would be $5.

Explorer seems like the obvious comparison point to me. That gains the normally-Silver to hand, which basically is worth $2.

Also, the name makes no sense to me o_O
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 21 queries.