Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Mini-Set Design Contest, Challenge #14: Self-Synergizing Card!  (Read 27888 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Mini-Set Design Contest, Challenge #14: Self-Synergizing Card!
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2012, 08:43:09 pm »

Would Archivist qualify? I'm assuming so, you were the one who created it :)

Also eHalcyon, can I ask for your critiques on my card too? I your a higher ranked iso player than me, but even if you aren't, you have won several of these contests. I hope some of your winningness would rub off on me :P

I think my highest rank was 24, but that was in less than 200 games or so.  I haven't played much in a very long time; last I checked my rank had dropped to 19.  CR is down now so I can no longer check.

I could critique, sure.

Oh, and in case I wasn't clear in my last post, I don't have an entry for THIS contest (self-synergy) but I have one for the other contest.  I have an idea now but I think I will leave it out anyway.  I can't think of elegant wording for it.

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2012, 09:03:55 pm »

I think I've already submitted some deliberately self-synergizing cards to previous contests, and I don't think I'm alone in this.

(My TfB entry would probably have been better designed as a one-shot, too :P)

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2012, 07:44:47 am »

Would Archivist qualify? I'm assuming so, you were the one who created it :)

Sure would.  Minion inspired that card -- I wanted to design another card that was self-sufficient like that but which didn't play out so similarly each time out.  I feel like that's still a very wide-open design space, hence this particular challenge.

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2012, 02:57:46 pm »

I'm going to be out-of-town on Monday, which is a holiday here in the U.S., so results won't be posted until Tuesday or possibly Wednesday.  I'll continue to accept entries right up until when I post the results.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2012, 08:01:48 pm »

sounds like i'll spend labor day making alts

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2012, 09:45:44 am »

Here is the ballot for Challenge #14!  Remember, unlike other challenges in this contest, there were no eligibility rules.  However, voters are encouraged to consider the potential for self-synergy when voting.  As a reminder of what "self-synergy" means in this context, here is what the challenge objective was:

Create a card that synergizes or combos with itself in such a way that playing the card might be more effective or powerful when prior copies of the card have already been played.

Note that this definition of self-synergy is a distinct concept from a card that is merely helpful to play in multiples.  For example, playing multiple Villages might be a good idea, because you can get a lot of +Actions that way.  But playing one Village doesn't generally enable you to play another to better effect.

--

Voting Rules:

Each person may cast votes as follows:  For each Challenge, you may fill your ballot out in one of two ways:

(1) Award 3 points to one entry.  Award 1 point to any number of other entries.
(2) Award 2 points to each of two entries.  Award 1 point to any number of other entries.

Submit your votes via PM to me by Thursday, September 13, 2012, 10am EDT in the following format:

Challenge 1

3 CardName
1 AnotherCardName
1 StillAnotherCardName
1 AnotherCardNameGoesHereToo

Challenge 2

2 CardName
2 AnotherCardName
1 StillAnotherCardName

Please use the above format!  One card per line, with the number of votes given before it, and no extra punctuation or anything.  This will make it easy for me to copy-and-paste your votes into the format my vote-counting script needs it to be in.

Do not submit votes for your own cards.  (If you do, my script will catch you anyway.)

By submitting vote(s) for a challenge, you will automatically earn 1 point for your entry in that challenge.  This is to incentivize contestants to submit votes.  (My script does this automatically, so don't worry that I'll forget to do this.)

Note that the supplied card names are for discussion/identification only -- they are not the card names that were submitted to me.  The proper card names will be revealed when the results are announced.  Whenever card text says "[This Card]" it means the submitted text says the card's own name there.

Inclusion on the ballot means that the card was deemed eligible for the contest.  You therefore do not need to consider eligibility when voting.  In some cases, this may mean a pretty loose interpretation of the eligibility requirements.  I tried to be fair but also forgiving when a submission came in that twisted the rules in a way I hadn't foreseen.

As a voter, you may use whatever criteria you wish in determining what your votes will be.  Be as forgiving or particular as you like concerning conformance to standard Dominion terminology.   For all winning cards, there will be a chance to tweak the wording as a community, if necessary, before they are canonized.

--

Hydrogen
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Choose one: Draw up to 6 cards, OR +$2 and discard two cards.

Helium
$5 - Action
+2 Actions
+1 Card for every three action cards in play (including this).
+$1 for every four action cards in play (including this).
If you have twelve or more action cards in play (including this), trash this.

Lithium
$5 - Action
+1 Action
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a treasure putting it into your hand.
For every differently named treasure card in your hand, choose either +$1 or +1 Card.

Beryllium
$5 - Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
If you have played [This Card] two or more times this turn, +1 Card.
If you have played it three or more times this turn, +$1.
If you have played it four or more times this turn, +1 Buy.
If you have played it five or more times this turn, +1 VP.

Boron
$5 - Action-Attack
Choose one: gain an Attack card from the supply; or all other players gain a Curse.
--
When you play this you may reveal Attack cards from your hand. +$1 for each revealed Attack card.

Carbon
$3 - Action-Duration
+1 Card
+1 Action
Look at the bottom three cards of your deck. Put one of them on top of your deck
At the start of your next turn you may discard your hand, if you do +4 Cards.

Nitrogen
$4 - Action
Choose one: +1 Card, +1 Action; or +$1, +$1 for each [This Card] you have in play (counting this), +1 Buy.

Oxygen
$3 - Action
+1 Action
+$1
Draw 1 card and discard 2 cards, OR draw up to 5 cards.

Fluorine
$4 - Action
+1 Action
Set aside the top card of your deck face-down on your [This Card] mat. Gain a card costing up to $2 more than the number of cards on your mat.
You may not look at the set-aside cards. Discard the set aside cards at the end of your turn.

Neon
$5 - Action-Reaction
+2 Cards
+1 Action
Discard a card.
--
If you discard this card from your hand other than during a Clean-Up phase, draw a card and place this on top of your deck.

Sodium
$3 - Action
Choose one: +1 Action per [This Card] in play (including this card), +1 Card; or +$1 per [This Card] in play (including this card), +1 Buy.

Magnesium
$4 - Action
+1 Action
Reveal a card from your deck for each copy of [This Card] you have in play (including this), and one more. Put one of the revealed cards into your hand; discard any number of other revealed cards; put the rest on the bottom of your deck.
--
When you clean this up, if you did not play another [This Card] this turn, put this on top of your deck.

Aluminum
$2 - Action-Duration
For each copy of [This Card] you have in play, including this one, choose one: $1, +1 Card, or +1 Action.  The choices may be the same or different.
At the start of your next turn: $1.

Silicon
$4 - Action
+3 Cards
+1 Action
Discard a card.
Each other player draws and discards a card.
Reveal your hand. If you did not reveal any [This Card], return this to the supply.

Phosphorus
$3 - Action
Reveal any number of Silver cards from your hand. +1 Action for each Silver revealed. Then, +2 Cards.

Sulfur
$4 - Action
All cards cost $1 less this turn, but not less than $0.
You may gain a card costing up to $3.

Chlorine
$3 - Action
+1 Action
Draw until you have 5 cards in hand, then draw a card, revealing the drawn cards. Set aside one of the revealed cards and discard the rest.
You may put the set aside card into your hand at any time before the Clean-up phase this turn. If you do not, discard it.

Argon
$2 - Action
+1 Action
+1 Buy
+$1
Trash this and another card from your hand. If you trash this, and have no cards in hand, the player to your left reveals his or her hand. Gain 4 non-Victory cards costing at most $6 which were not revealed.

Potassium
$5 - Action-Victory
Worth 2 VP
--
Reveal a card from your hand, if it is an...
Action card, +2 Actions
Treasure card, +$2
Victory card, +2 Cards
You may trash the revealed card.

Calcium
$5 - Action
Discard any number of cards from your hand.
Draw until you have 6 cards in hand.
Reveal your hand. For each [This Card] in it, +1 Action.

Titanium
$5 - Action-Attack-Reaction
+1 Card
Each other player discards a card.
You may return up to two [This Card] tokens to its supply. Each other player discards an additional card per token returned.
Gain a [This Card] token.
--
When another player plays an Attack card, you may return a [This Card] token to its supply and discard this, then at the start of your next turn, +1 Card. You may instead trash this card if you do not return a [This Card] token to its supply, if you do, gain a [This Card] token.
If you do either, you are unaffected by that Attack.

Chromium
$5 - Action
+1 Action
When this is in play each time you draw a card remove a token from your [This Card] mat if possible, or instead of drawing a card you may place a token on your [This Card] mat.  During this or another turn you may redeem your mat's tokens for a card equal to the number of tokens on your mat.
+1 Card

Manganese
$4 - Action
+2 Actions
The player to your left chooses a non-empty kingdom card supply pile that you have not gained a card from this turn.  Gain a copy of that card.

Iron
$5 - Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
--
During your buy phase, if you had at least three unused actions in your action phase, +$2.

Cobalt
$2 - Action
+1 Action
Choose one: +1 Card; or +$1 for each [This Card] you have in play (including this one).

Nickel
$3 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1 for each [This Card] token on your mat
You may trash a card from your hand.  If you do, gain a token on your [This Card] mat.
--
When you discard this from play, choose one: gain a Copper, or return all [This Card] tokens to the supply.

Zinc
$4 - Action-Looter
Choose one: +2 Actions and trash a card from your hand; or gain a Ruins and draw until you have 7 cards in hand.

Gallium
$5 - Action
Choose one: +$1; or +1 Card; or +1 Buy.
Choose one: Each other player gains a Curse; or reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal a [This Card].  Put it in your hand and discard the other cards.
You may play a [This Card] from your hand.

Arsenic
$2 - Action
+1 Action
+$1
Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Put all copies of this card into your hand. Discard the rest.

Bromine
$5 - Action
+1 Action
If you have trashed a Card this turn, +3 cards, +$1. Otherwise, trash 2 cards from your hand.

Krypton
$2 - Treasure
Put a card from your hand on top of your deck.
Worth $2 per card from hand you put on top of your deck this turn.

Cadmium
$4 - Action-Duration
+1 Action
+$1
At the start of your next turn, draw as many cards as you have [This Card] in play. Discard down to 6 cards in hand.

Tin
$5 - Action
Choose one: Draw until you have 6 cards in hand; or: +2 Actions, +$1, +1 Buy.

Iodine
$3 - Action
+$1
+1 VP

Xenon
$3 - Action
For every [This Card] you have in play (including this), you may choose one (no option may be taken more than twice):
+1 Action, +1 Card, +$1, +1 Buy, trash a card from your hand.

Barium
$4 - Action
+1 Action
Name a cost. Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. Put the cards with the same cost as you named in your hand. Put the others on top in any order.

Tungsten
$6 - Action-Attack
+3 Cards
Discard 2 cards.
If this is the first [This Card] you've played this turn, each other player discards any number of cards from their hand and draws until they have 5 cards.  Otherwise, each other player discards a card from their hand.

Mercury
$3 - Action
Gain a card costing up to $3 per [This Card] in play, counting this.

Lead
$5 - Action
Choose One: +3 Cards; or +3 Actions.

Radon
$2 - Action
+1 Action
+1 Buy
+$1
You may convert 2 Actions, 2 Buys, or 1 Action and 1 Buy into $1.
You may convert $1 into 2 Actions, 2 Buys, or 1 Action and 1 Buy.
(You cannot go below 0 Actions or 0 Buys.)

Radium
$5 - Action
+3 Cards
Trash a card from your hand. If that card costs $3 or more: +1 Action.

Uranium
$5 - Action
+3 Actions
+1 Buy
+$5
-$1 per card in your hand, to a minimum of $0.

Plutonium
$2P - Action
+2 Cards
+$1
Return a card from your hand to the Supply and gain a card costing up to as much as it, putting it into your hand.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 11:47:00 am by rinkworks »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2012, 09:50:14 am »
+1

[First 20 elements in order]
[Then Rinkworks starts randomly skipping elements]

The chemist in me is cringing.  I don't suppose I can rearrange those for you?

/twitch
//twitch
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2012, 11:17:19 am »

/twitch
//twitch

Hey, at least what elements are there are in order.  I had to skip some, though, because some names are more cumbersome to use in conversation than others.  Also, there are elements like Copper, Silver, Gold, and Platinum.  I already jokingly used Silver as a pseudonym for the other challenge (Patricia Wentworth's detective Miss Maud Silver), so no sense doing that here as well.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2012, 11:40:55 am »

This is my first time giving commentary. Maybe doing so will give me better luck in these challenges.

Hydrogen
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action

This is a cool idea, but far too strong for $4. It's sort of comparable to Minion, but yeah, definitely under-costed. Maybe at $5?

Helium
$5 - Action
+2 Actions

I don't know how I feel about this. When it hits, it REALLY hits. I am guessing that it's too dominating, since you can just buy lots of them, in combination with virtually any other non-terminal.

Lithium
$5 - Action
+1 Action
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a treasure putting it into your hand.
For every differently named treasure card in your hand, choose either +$1 or +1 Card.

So as long as you have more than one different kinds of Treasure in hand, this is strictly superior to Laboratory. I don't think the synergy is super interesting, either.

Beryllium
$5 - Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions

It's a Level 2 City the second time you play it on any given turn? Too similar to City.

Boron
$5 - Action-Attack
Choose one: gain an Attack card from the supply; or all other players gain a Curse.
--
When you play this you may reveal Attack cards from your hand. +$1 for each revealed Attack card.

I appreciate this for being a fairly original idea. Would be awesome with Torturer or Familiar, perhaps? Or Goons. Actually, it makes weaker attacks like Spy more interesting, too, since you have a reason to buy them (boosting the value of Boron). Yeah, actually this is a really cool card. Nice job.

Carbon
$3 - Action-Duration
+1 Card
+1 Action
Look at the bottom three cards of your deck. Put one of them on top of your deck

Ouch. I don't think I'd ever want to Minion myself, unless I had Minions.

Nitrogen
$4 - Action
Choose one: +1 Card, +1 Action; or +$1, +$1 for each [This Card] you have in play (counting this), +1 Buy.

It's hard to tell, but this might be balanced. I like that it becomes non-terminal when you really cash in on it. But it sort of suffers from the fact that you have to get a lot of this card, specifically, and get them together. You might consider having more than 10 of these in the supply.

Oxygen
$3 - Action
+1 Action
+$1

The fact that it's non-terminal makes it look too strong to me. In a way, it's strictly superior to Oasis, since it will almost always replace itself and you don't have to discard. Of course if you do, it makes it better in combination with itself (and also with Oasis).

Fluorine
$4 - Action
+1 Action
Set aside the top card of your deck face-down on your [This Card] mat. Gain a card costing up to $2 more than the number of cards on your mat.
You may not look at the set-aside cards. Discard the set aside cards at the end of your turn.

This isn't very good, I don't think. So you'd have to play it like, 3 times in one turn to get anything good? It's a bit expensive for that, since it conveys no other benefit.

Neon
$5 - Action-Reaction
+2 Cards
+1 Action
Discard a card.
--
If you discard this card from your hand other than during a Clean-Up phase, draw a card and place this on top of your deck.

The wording is problematic. Reactions generally make you reveal the card and then do the reaction part. But this reaction triggers once you have discarded the card, and obviously you can't reveal it then (because it's discarded). But if you reveal it before it's discarded, then you could just reveal it infinitely here for infinite cards on top of your deck. And if you don't have to reveal it all, you could cheat.

Sodium
$3 - Action
Choose one: +1 Action per [This Card] in play (including this card), +1 Card; or +$1 per [This Card] in play (including this card), +1 Buy.

The second time you play this on a turn, it's strictly superior to Village. I think that's okay. Overall, it's fine, but doesn't hugely excite me.

I'll comment on the rest later (probably in chunks). Boron is my favorite so far.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2012, 12:23:20 pm »
+1

/twitch
//twitch

Hey, at least what elements are there are in order.  I had to skip some, though, because some names are more cumbersome to use in conversation than others.  Also, there are elements like Copper, Silver, Gold, and Platinum.  I already jokingly used Silver as a pseudonym for the other challenge (Patricia Wentworth's detective Miss Maud Silver), so no sense doing that here as well.

Scandium, Vanadium, Germanium, and Selenium are crying right now.  Look what you've done, making them cry!  You monster.

(On the other hand, Copper don't care; Copper don't give a shit.)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 01:02:24 pm by Kirian »
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

PurplePotato

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2012, 12:35:18 pm »

Boron
$5 - Action-Attack
--

I appreciate this for being a fairly original idea. Would be awesome with Torturer or Familiar, perhaps? Or Goons. Actually, it makes weaker attacks like Spy more interesting, too, since you have a reason to buy them (boosting the value of Boron). Yeah, actually this is a really cool card. Nice job.

I agree, this is one of my favorites too.

Carbon
$3 - Action-Duration
+1 Card
+1 Action

Ouch. I don't think I'd ever want to Minion myself, unless I had Minions.

I really like this card as well. Generally, the "minion yourself" duration isn't terribly useful, but it can save getting a bad draw, and can give you a second chance if you say got a $4 hand, but really wanted $5. Also, it has a nifty self-synergy that can come up sometimes. For example, suppose that you've used this card enough so that you only have three cards left in your deck, which are all VPs, in addition to having played two carbons last turn. You now "minion yourself" twice. The first time you draw the VPs and trigger a shuffle, and the second time you dump the VPs for a fresh hand of 4. This may be hard to pull of, but I think its really nice when it works. This is the pearl diver I've always wanted.

nopawnsintended

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +186
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2012, 07:36:07 pm »

Here's a set of comments.

Hydrogen
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action

I like the idea of chunky sifting.  This feels priced too low.

Helium
$5 - Action
+2 Actions

Seems like it has FBI (if I understand the term correctly).  This could get out of control with the +Cards and +$, so we tack a you must trash this clause onto it.

Lithium
$5 - Action
+1 Action

Interesting idea.  Probably needs a "Reveal your hand" or "Reveal any number of treasures from your hand" clause.  With alt-Treasure, this could be worth a lot.

Beryllium
$5 - Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions

This seems really strong to me.

Boron
$5 - Action-Attack
--

A workshop for witches and minions.  This would be an interesting way to build a Minion stack.  The self-synergy element seems lacking though.  Each additional play doesn't make subsequent plays of the card any stronger this turn.

Carbon
$3 - Action-Duration
+1 Card
+1 Action

Delayed Minion without the attack, plus some sort of bottom deck filtering.  I don't know if I like that.

Nitrogen
$4 - Action

Interesting idea.  Play a lot of Nitrogens and then cash in on the last one.  Sorta like a Peddler with one Buy for the whole stack and an additional $1.  I like it more than I hate it.

Oxygen
$3 - Action
+1 Action
+$1

[begin Oxygen joke] Ahh, a breath of fresh air!  [/end Oxygen joke]

This is like Hydrogen, but weaker.  The comparison with Oasis is OK for small handsize, but this card is worse than Oasis if you have any draw in your deck.

Fluorine
$4 - Action
+1 Action

Not a fan of the "You may not look at the set-aside cards" clause.  That requires too much self discipline.

Neon
$5 - Action-Reaction
+2 Cards
+1 Action
Discard a card.
--

This is synergy in hand (which I like), but not really synergy on play.

Sodium
$3 - Action

I'm not sure how this would play.  Seems like you could end up with a pile of coin, but there would be a lot of variability to this.

Magnesium
$4 - Action
+1 Action
Reveal a card from your deck for each copy of [This Card] you have in play (including this), and one more. Put one of the revealed cards into your hand; discard any number of other revealed cards; put the rest on the bottom of your deck.
--
When you clean this up, if you did not play another [This Card] this turn, put this on top of your deck.

Seems like a lot of deck management to me.  It might be worth it, but I'd have to see how it would be play.

... there are more, but I got busy with some things.  Hopefully, I will have a chance to comment more later.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2012, 08:06:51 pm »

Since most of these should be stronger on collision, I also expect that they would be weaker without collision.  Balance is trickier, thus harder to judge.

Hydrogen
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action

This may be too strong.  The first play of this is almost strictly superior to Lab.  The self-synergy between discard and draw-up-to is huge.

Helium
$5 - Action
+2 Actions

Too weak, I think.  You need two other action cards in play to make this a Village.  You need three other cards in play to make this a Bazaar.  I suppose it is quite strong if you can spam these and other actions.  Probably better if there are cantrips or other Villages available, so you can activate these more quickly.

Lithium
$5 - Action
+1 Action

Very much like a Silver-with-a-bonus.  At the least (barring edge cases), this draws a Treasure (Copper?) and gives +$1 (for the Treasure you drew).  It is often worth more though.  It shouldn't be difficult to have Copper and Silver in hand with this.  Then it is like a non-terminal Gold for $5.  Possibly too strong.

Beryllium
$5 - Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions

First play is a Village.  Second play is a level 2 City.  Third play is pretty much a level 3 City.  Seems too strong to me.

Boron
$5 - Action-Attack
--

I don't think this fits as playing one does not improve the effect of playing a second one on the same turn.  It kind of improves future plays on future turns, in that you can have more Attacks to draw, but on the same turn it doesn't really help.  In fact, it actively hurts.  Say you have two of these in hand.  The first one will give you +$1 but the second will produce no coin.

Carbon
$3 - Action-Duration
+1 Card
+1 Action

Playing a second one will draw whatever you topdecked previously.  OK, that's self-synergy... Pearl Diver does the same thing though.  I don't think the wording is adequate to keep it in play as a Duration.  It doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the card anyway.

Nitrogen
$4 - Action

Ah, punctuation is confusing.  Here you either choose cantrip or building money.  I think this is a little too weak.  Suppose you play a bunch as cantrips and then cap it off with coin.  However many you play, it is always weaker than playing the same number of Peddlers (except for the +Buy).  Peddlers are reliable without collision and the last one in the chain won't consume your action.  If you have Village support this could be better for judicious use of the coin option.

Oxygen
$3 - Action
+1 Action
+$1

Similar to Hydrogen, above.  Weaker and cheaper.  Probably too strong for its price as well.  With just the second choice, it is often a Peddler.  The first choice gives additional sifting when it is better for you.

Fluorine
$4 - Action
+1 Action

So the mat contents only last for one turn.  First play gains up to $3, second play up to $4.  Third play is where it really counts.  Lack of draw weakens the card, which is fine.  I wonder if this would work at $3.  I like it, but the set already has a gainer in Carpenter.  I may still vote for this though.

Neon
$5 - Action-Reaction
+2 Cards
+1 Action
Discard a card.
--

Reaction wording could use some work.  The self-synergy in this card is that you can discard one with the other and get around the discard penalty.  The thing is, this does not fit the theme, because the synergy doesn't really help the second play of this card.  Maybe I'm missing something.

Sodium
$3 - Action

Similar to Nitrogen, above, but the action choice improves from cantrip to Village to better, and the money choice doesn't come with a default +$1.  The wording is a bit awkward, but I can't think of a better way.  This is mostly stronger, but it is priced lower.  Is it priced correctly?  Maybe it should be $4.

If you play two for actions, it is worse than playing two Villages.  If you play one for actions then the second for coin, it is worse than playing two Peddlers (but for the +Buy).  If you play two for actions then a third for coin, it is the same as playing three Peddlers with a bonus +1 Buy.  A fourth play would net an additional +$4.

Takes a lot of work to get there, but the payoff is decent.  Without much collision it is weaker, but not that much weaker.  Might need a price bump, but I think it could be OK as is.

Magnesium
$4 - Action
+1 Action
--

I think this looks fine.  The draw is a bit better than Cartographer because you get to look and choose.  However, you can't put any cards back on top of the deck, which is more often bad than good.  You also start off looking at fewer cards.

I don't really like the clean up instruction.  It's fine if it needs some support to be most effective.  If it's too weak, then drop it to $3 -- the set needs cheaper cards anyway!

Aluminum
$2 - Action-Duration
For each copy of [This Card] you have in play, including this one, choose one: $1, +1 Card, or +1 Action.  The choices may be the same or different.

It could result in so much AP!

Silicon
$4 - Action
+3 Cards
+1 Action
Discard a card.
Reveal your hand. If you did not reveal any [This Card], return this to the supply.

This lacks self synergy in playing the card.  It really wants to find other copies of itself, so that you don't lose them, but playing one does not improve the effects of playing the second.  It is technically worse on subsequent plays because it becomes more likely you'll have to return it to the Supply.

And I am biased against card draw now, as the set has lots already.

Phosphorus
$3 - Action
Reveal any number of Silver cards from your hand. +1 Action for each Silver revealed. Then, +2 Cards.

Mild self-synergy in that the card draw can pull more Silver into your hand.  So that's fine.

A bit weird strategically.  In order to get +action you need to collide it with Silver, but in an engine you usually don't want a lot of Silver.  I would probably use this most as a cheap Lab.  The activation of having a single Silver in hand is not terribly difficult.  I think it may be too powerful for the price.

Sulfur
$4 - Action

Starts as a Workshop.  Subsequent plays can gain stronger cards.  Probably fine.  We already have a gainer (Carpenter) but price reduction is good, similar to virtual coin.

Chlorine
$3 - Action
+1 Action
Draw until you have 5 cards in hand, then draw a card, revealing the drawn cards. Set aside one of the revealed cards and discard the rest.
You may put the set aside card into your hand at any time before the Clean-up phase this turn. If you do not, discard it.

A little confusing.  Is the "draw up to 5" included for the reveal?  From the wording it does not quite seem like it, but it doesn't make sense to set aside one card out of one.  The wording there needs work, though I can't think of an elegant way to phrase what I think is meant here.

Self-synergy is that each play lets you reveal more cards.

I think it's OK, but the wording is a bit confusing.  Positive points for low price.

Argon
$2 - Action
+1 Action
+1 Buy
+$1
Trash this and another card from your hand. If you trash this, and have no cards in hand, the player to your left reveals his or her hand. Gain 4 non-Victory cards costing at most $6 which were not revealed.

Is this in the wrong contest?  Self-synergy... um, it gets you closer to having no cards in hand.  OK, I guess.  The gain effect is weird.  It will almost always be better to just work towards buying those cards directly, because the gain here is unreliable (you might get blocked from the key cards) and hard to achieve anyway.

Potassium
$5 - Action-Victory
Worth 2 VP
--
Action card, +2 Actions
Treasure card, +$2
Victory card, +2 Cards

Wrong kind of self-synergy.  It likes to reveal itself, but the first play does not improve the second play.  Also, I am biased against VP because the set has a lot already. :P

Calcium
$5 - Action

Wrong kind of self-synergy.  It likes to reveal itself, but the first play does not improve the second play.

Titanium
+1 Card
You may return up to two [This Card] tokens to its supply. Each other player discards an additional card per token returned.
--
When another player plays an Attack card, you may return a [This Card] token to its supply and discard this, then at the start of your next turn, +1 Card. You may instead trash this card if you do not return a [This Card] token to its supply, if you do, gain a [This Card] token.

Disregarding the Reaction for now, the Attack has the potential of locking out opponents.  If you never store up tokens, every play of this card other than the first play of the game will cause your opponents to discard two cards.  Unlike Torturer, there is no guaranteed way out (i.e. choosing to gain a Curse).

The Reaction is a built in defense to itself, but that's not so great because it forces opponents to buy Titanium or suffer.  The defense is really weak anyway -- you either give up your own attack (because you have to lose a token AND discard Titanium) or you trash Titanium... and gain a token that is less useful because you just lost the card that uses them.  There is no clause that lets you return tokens without having Titanium in hand, so the token alone is not helpful.

Even worse -- you have to use the reaction when they play the Attack card.  So if you trash a Titanium to moat the attack, the attacker can choose to save their token for the subsequent attack.

Chromium
$5 - Action
+1 Action
When this is in play each time you draw a card remove a token from your [This Card] mat if possible, or instead of drawing a card you may place a token on your [This Card] mat.  During this or another turn you may redeem your mat's tokens for a card equal to the number of tokens on your mat.
+1 Card

I play Watchtower, which lets me draw up to 6.

Instead of drawing a card, I gain a token.  I am still at less than 6 cards, so I keep drawing.  Instead, I gain another token.  And another.  Actually, just give me all the tokens, thanks.

Token redemption is a little weird though... a card equal to the number of tokens?  Equal in cost, I suppose?

Manganese
$4 - Action
+2 Actions
The player to your left chooses a non-empty kingdom card supply pile that you have not gained a card from this turn.  Gain a copy of that card.

Unique, fairly interesting.  If you spam these, your opponent will eventually have to give you good cards.  You don't mind getting flooded with terminals because Manganese gives you actions to deal with it.  This won't be worth it on most boards, but will be great if there are few or no weak cards, or if you want lots of cards (Gardens, possibly Fairgrounds).

Iron
$5 - Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
--
During your buy phase, if you had at least three unused actions in your action phase, +$2.

Interesting approach to self-synergy.  I like it.  I wish it cost $4 and gave +$1 instead.  Set needs cheaper cards! :P

Cobalt
$2 - Action
+1 Action
Choose one: +1 Card; or +$1 for each [This Card] you have in play (including this one).

Similar to Nitrogen and Sodium, above.  Since you can always choose the cantrip option, this is always safe to pick up with extra buys.  Looks stronger than Nitrogen because it is always non-terminal and it costs much less.  The lack of +Buy doesn't hurt it that much.  Probably fine?

Nickel
$3 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may trash a card from your hand.  If you do, gain a token on your [This Card] mat.
--
When you discard this from play, choose one: gain a Copper, or return all [This Card] tokens to the supply.

Suppose you always return tokens.  This becomes a $3 cantrip trasher.  Too strong!

Suppose you always gain a Copper.  It doesn't really junk up your deck because it will trash those Coppers for you.  It quickly becomes better than Peddler or an activated Conspirator.  It is like a non-terminal Pirate Ship that you build up on your own.  Way too strong.

But you actually have the option to do one or the other.  Way, way, way too strong.

Zinc
$4 - Action-Looter
Choose one: +2 Actions and trash a card from your hand; or gain a Ruins and draw until you have 7 cards in hand.

This reminds me a lot of Nobles, except the +Actions comes with trashing and the draw is up to 7 (which I think will often be better than just +3 cards) and comes with a penalty.  It can handle the penalty though, since it trashes.

I think this looks OK, but I am not sure.  FBI is quite possible -- the effect is powerful and the Ruins stack won’t last.

Gallium
$5 - Action
Choose one: Each other player gains a Curse; or reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal a [This Card].  Put it in your hand and discard the other cards.

I suppose it is OK.  A single play is generally weaker than other $5 Cursers.  Even though it provides choice, +1 is usually not as good as +2 (Witch, Mountebank) or +3 (Torturer).  Its strength is in forgoing the Curse to find more of itself and stack its bonuses.  At the end of the chain, you either Curse or Chancellor.

I like it.  But I am biased against expensive cards this time around, and we already have a Curser in the set.  I may still vote for it.

Arsenic
$2 - Action
+1 Action
+$1
Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Put all copies of this card into your hand. Discard the rest.

Self-synergy is in clearing the top of the deck so that subsequent plays can find more.  Wording needs a touch up -- put all revealed copies of this card into your hand.  Otherwise, this looks good to me.  Bonus points for low price and virtual coin.

Bromine
$5 - Action
+1 Action
If you have trashed a Card this turn, +3 cards, +$1. Otherwise, trash 2 cards from your hand.

I think this is too strong.  I am not sure how much the trashing hurts.  I am biased against expensive cards and non-terminal draw. as the set has enough of it :P

Krypton
$2 - Treasure

Interesting.  Might be a little hard to track.  I’d prefer it if it just tracked plays of itself.  You would only really lose interaction with Courtyard and Mandarin.  Cards like Cartographer put back revealed cards, not cards from hand.

Cadmium
$4 - Action-Duration
+1 Action
+$1
At the start of your next turn, draw as many cards as you have [This Card] in play. Discard down to 6 cards in hand.

So if you have two in play, you would draw 4 total?  Three draws 6?  Pretty interesting.

Tin
$2 - Action

Looks way too strong for $2.  The second choice is already really nice -- non-duration FV with +Buy.  That’s solid for a $3 card already.  Draw to 6 makes it incredible.

Edit: with the corrected price of $5, I think this is fine.  Except I am biased against expensive cards this time around. :P

Iodine
$3 - Action
+$1
+1 VP

Too similar to Monument, IMO.

Xenon
$3 - Action
For every [This Card] you have in play (including this), you may choose one (no option may be taken more than twice):

A little ambiguous, but you can repeat options per play of the card, right?  I would expect so.  Otherwise subsequent plays are more limited.

This looks a bit too weak to me.  First one is probably just for the action, second is a cantrip or a Copper, then it’s finally a Peddler.  I think this would work at $2.

Barium
$4 - Action
+1 Action
Name a cost. Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. Put the cards with the same cost as you named in your hand. Put the others on top in any order.

Looks fine.  Interesting mini-game.

Tungsten
$6 - Action-Attack
+3 Cards
Discard 2 cards.
If this is the first [This Card] you've played this turn, each other player discards any number of cards from their hand and draws until they have 5 cards.  Otherwise, each other player discards a card from their hand.

Interesting attack.  It can lock players out, but it’s slow (only discards one card per play) and harder to set up (first play is actually a huge help for them and can help them find counters like Moat or Horse Traders).  Also much weaker in multiplayer, because your attack might be reset by the next player (letting everyone draw up to 5 again).  I think this would be fine at $5.

Mercury
$3 - Action

Whoa, that’s really fast escalation.  Not sure if that’s a good thing or not.  Villages make this super powered, but it’s weak without them.  Hm.

Lead
$5 - Action

Too similar to Nobles, I think.

Radon
$2 - Action
+1 Action
+1 Buy
+$1

I don’t like the conversion concept.  Tracking nightmare.

Radium
$5 - Action
+3 Cards

Not sure where the self-synergy comes in.  Finding more cards to trash?  Eh.

Uranium
$5 - Action
+3 Actions
+1 Buy
+$5

I am not sure how this would play out.

Plutonium
$2P - Action
+2 Cards
+$1
Return a card from your hand to the Supply and gain a card costing up to as much as it, putting it into your hand.

Seems fine, but not all that exciting.  Potion cost seems unnecessary.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 12:27:16 pm by eHalcyon »

zahlman

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2012, 10:20:13 pm »

Doing the usual every-other-one, mine-is-in-the-other-half thing.

Hydrogen
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action

Aside: the standard wording is "Draw until you have X cards in hand". This is actually anti-synergizing when you don't have two cards you'd want to discard for $1 each, while the first draw is almost strictly better than Lab, as noted. So this totally fails imo.

Lithium
$5 - Action
+1 Action

Sort of a HP variant, I guess. I guess it works out as balanced by analogy to HP, but it just seems awkward to me. While it increases the values of its own future plays (by putting more treasures in your hand), the value is usually fairly limited, although it skyrockets with a bunch of alt-treasure. Except that in any case, to capitalize on this (pun intended) you need to be able to draw a lot of Lithium in a deck that's full of treasure. So there's a conflict here between engine and BM approaches. Awkward.

Boron
$5 - Action-Attack
--

Doesn't help find more Borons, and doesn't improve future plays of Boron. Instead, it improves as a result of playing Boron on previous turns. That's an even more wrong kind of self-synergy IMO. It'd work if it gained the Attacks to hand. Also, on boards where it's the only attack... it looks really horrible compared to if Witch were the only attack. Instead of +2 Cards always, you get... a Copper as compensation if your terminals collided. Needs +Action to be worthwhile IMO; that way you'd at least self-synergize with multiple Borons in hand (getting O(N^2) coins). Otherwise it's just too hard to set up the engine (and Curses are in limited supply anyway).

Nitrogen
$4 - Action

So apparently the idea is to cantrip a whole bunch of them, and then let the last one be worth a Buy and a bunch of coins for the whole stack. That isn't really self-synergy; that's net +$1, +1 Buy vs. playing the same number of Peddlers.

Well. If you're drowning in +Action, and you know how many Nitrogens you're going to draw, you could really rake in the dough. Seems tough, though. Maybe on a City board it could become huge, but then it's just overkill for a strat that would probably be dominating anyway.

Fluorine
$4 - Action
+1 Action

Blind set-aside cards are novel. The problem with this is that if you get a bunch of Fluorines trying to build up a big stack for lots of coin... you may end up setting aside Fluorine a bunch. So it's self-limiting, but also swingy in a sense. It's great if you draw a bunch of them together, but drawing 5 Fluorines still doesn't get you a Province.

Sodium
$3 - Action

Appears to be a lot stronger than Nitrogen. You lose a coin when you choose the coin option, but you can rack up actions on the action option. And it costs only $3. It's self-supporting in that if you have 10 of them in a row in your deck, you can use the surplus +Action from the first 4 to play the other 6 for 45 coin with 7 Buys (and still have 1 Action left). I like this version of the idea a lot better, but now it's way undercosted. Although it probably doesn't look too appealing at $5 for the first few plays... but then, City exists.

Aluminum
$2 - Action-Duration

This idea is clever, but yeah, lots of choices, and the third play is already a quite powerful card. I'd amend it by dropping the Duration and making it always +1 Action, with coin or card for each other copy.

Phosphorus
$3 - Action

I don't see how this is self-synergizing.

Chlorine
$3 - Action
+1 Action

Having to keep track of cards that you drew into hand so that you can then reveal them is a little weird (but not unmanageable). But then you're discarding all but one of the revealed cards... o_O so the idea is that it's a cantrip, but you get more choice in what you draw if your hand is small? and then the idea is that if you set aside Chlorine, your hand got smaller, so the next Chlorine is more powerful, and then you pull the set-aside Chlorine into hand later and use it - I see. So eventually you build up this engine that lets you sift and cycle your deck really powerfully, but you're stuck with a small hand... until you finish with the Chlorines and put all non-Chlorine set-aside cards into your hand and play your engine for real? o_O This is actually interesting. Deep, even.

Potassium
$5 - Action-Victory
Worth 2 VP
--
Action card, +2 Actions
Treasure card, +$2
Victory card, +2 Cards

This only self-synergizes in that it's a dual-type card offering type-based rewards. If you get a lot, it becomes crazy, a Trusty Steed worth VP (although you may never have a use for the surplus Actions). Being able to use it as a gimped Moneylender (or trashing your Estates for 2 cards) is also kinda neat. I sense that this becomes too strong overall.

Titanium
+1 Card
--

Unlimited discards are bad because they get brutal in multiplayer even if nobody builds a real engine. This is an average of 2 cards discarded per play, and the "self-synergy" of that is awkward anyway. Oh, but then there's a reaction that protects against itself effectively, but you have to buy the same card, so this becomes one of those game-dominating cards.

Manganese
$4 - Action
+2 Actions

Misread this at first; no, you won't gain a Curse, then a Copper, then an Estate... :P This seems slow to start up; opponent is tempted to give you more Manganese on the first play each turn. The +Action is a good choice for the vanilla benefit as opponent can't just load you up with terminals. This probably plays like Contraband or Develop in that you want a board with a lot of decent Kingdom cards to make it worthwhile.

Cobalt
$2 - Action
+1 Action

Another stab at the Nitrogen idea. I still don't like it.

Zinc
$4 - Action-Looter

A 1-card Hamlet-Library-combo-ish thing, with a benefit and a drawback. Interesting. Hard to evaluate. Probably not horrible.

Arsenic
$2 - Action
+1 Action
+$1

So... it finds itself, but doesn't make future plays of itself better. It forces you to cycle potentially other good stuff. And then the vanilla part is just non-terminal Copper, which is about the same as Copper as a treasure. Well... except for the part where you potentially get to sift your deck and put 10 of them into play. But all the same, I'd much rather buy Fool's Gold than this. (rinkworks, you should have assigned this one to Lead ;) )

Krypton
$2 - Treasure

Seems like it could get ridiculous with other topdeckers like Watchtower. It's self-limiting in that you'll run out of things to topdeck during your Buy phase. A hand of 5 Kryptons is worth $10, by my reckoning.

Tin
$2 - Action

Another attempt at the Hamlet-Library-combo approach, I guess. I suspect it is too powerful - in an otherwise BM deck it becomes much better than Moat (Reaction notwithstanding) for example.

Xenon
$3 - Action

Oh god that's a lot of choosing.

Tungsten
$6 - Action-Attack
+3 Cards
Discard 2 cards.

Unlimited-discard attack, except that in multiplayer, everyone's attacks actually cancel each other. So I have to give credit for "solving" that problem. But now the bad stuff. In 2-player, you need to be able to play it several times for the attack to be worthwhile - although 6 plays basically nets you a free turn, so winning the split 6/4 and building an engine that can reliably play them all is an automatic win. And then, when the +Actions aren't available, this is horrible as the attack is generally a net benefit to opponents (deck cycling, Tunnel discarding etc.) and the terminal draw/sift is really not worth very much. So this has ridiculous FBI. And then I'm worried about political issues in multiplayer ("why did you keep Tungsten and undo my attack?").

Lead
$5 - Action

This only self-synergizes in a jerky Nobles kind of way (i.e., in that you normally want to balance out your +Card and +Action). It's an interesting enough concept, but I don't think it's right for this contest. I'm not really convinced the choice makes it enough better than Smithy, either.

Radium
$5 - Action
+3 Cards

Hey, this "caring about cards that cost $3 or more" thing was supposed to be my gimmick >:( Not really seeing the self-synergy here, except in that Radium itself costs $3 or more. But trashing your Radiums in order to play a Radium chain is... pretty awful. Well, I guess successive plays of Radium are more likely to find a Silver or something, but then you still need to play the first ones. Again, a decent idea but not imo appropriate to the contest.

Plutonium
$2P - Action
+2 Cards
+$1

Why the potion cost? Also I'm not sold on "You may play a [This Card] from your hand." as a general mechanic; Cultist is special, and we aren't all DXV. Certainly that satisfies the self-synergy requirement, though. But I'm really not seeing the special ability as being worth much very often. I guess if you do get a bunch of these, you get to play them as coin-generating Labs, which is quite strong.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 10:21:44 pm by zahlman »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2012, 01:21:16 am »

Disclaimer on earlier reviews -- one of them was mine.

Robz thought Helium would be too strong, I thought too weak.  I'm more likely to be wrong.  Maybe it's FBI.

I find the differing opinions on Nitrogen vs. Sodium quite interesting, given how similar they are. :P

zahlman

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2012, 02:52:37 am »

I find the differing opinions on Nitrogen vs. Sodium quite interesting, given how similar they are. :P

Sodium is mostly more powerful - in a way that improves the self-synergy - and cheaper - in a way that lets you open Sodium-Sodium 5/6 of the time. I think that makes them worlds different. I like the improvement to the self-synergy, but $3 is IMHO ridiculous.

Robz thought Helium would be too strong, I thought too weak.  I'm more likely to be wrong.  Maybe it's FBI.

No, I agree with you. It's quite slow to start up, and it can't completely power itself as there are only 10 of them available. It does basically nothing for you until you start gaining coin from it, at which point it's still not much more than a Peddler since you presumably still have an excess of +Action from the previous plays. If you already have an engine, it can make a huge bonus (assuming it's not a huge 12-card engine :) ) but then it's not really about the self-synergy any more.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 02:59:21 am by zahlman »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2012, 03:53:31 am »

Sodium is mostly more powerful - in a way that improves the self-synergy - and cheaper - in a way that lets you open Sodium-Sodium 5/6 of the time. I think that makes them worlds different. I like the improvement to the self-synergy, but $3 is IMHO ridiculous.

I think it might have to be $4, but $3 doesn't seem ridiculous to me.  It needs to collide with itself to escalate, and it needs to collide with itself a LOT to get good.  Playing three Sodium only equates to three Peddlers, and it's not trivial to get it to that point.  For that much work, I expect a decent payload.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2012, 09:08:14 am »
+1

Gaaaaah you people don't understand how difficult it is to read sentences like this without my brain exploding!

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2012, 10:03:30 am »

Hydrogen
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
This is Archivist, the only fan card to grace Isotropic. Sorry you had to find out this way.
Helium
$5 - Action
+2 Actions
This doesn't need the last part. The first 2 (if you only play these) are junk. You need to play one of these first, then an Action from your hand, then the other one. Then, you have a village. You then play one more for a Bazaar. The others get better, but not much so and it doesn't work with ThroneProcessionCourt.
Lithium
$5 - Action
+1 Action
I don't like the +$1 option. It should just be card draw. Also, this card is likely giving you a $1.7 treasure and drawing you an average of 2 cards, making it worth far more than $5.
Beryllium
$5 - Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
Haha! This is my Railroad Town 3 (with an extra VP clause). I'll vote for my own card (this time).
Boron
$5 - Action-Attack
--
The "When you play this" clause is weird. How about: "Reveal any number of Attack cards from your hand. +$1 for each Attack revealed. Choose one: gain an Attack card; or all other players gain a Curse." With this wording, the card is okay.
Carbon
$3 - Action-Duration
+1 Card
+1 Action
I see the trick to this. The first times you play it each game, the top-decking seems to conflict with the Minioning. Eventually this gets potent. A likely contender. Seems okay.
Nitrogen
$4 - Action
A card that becomes a cantrip or is a woodcutter. With 2, this is a Bridge where you buy two cards. With 2 (and extra actions), this can be +$2.5 and a buy each. With 3, this is $4 +Buy. With 3 (and extra actions), this can be +$7 +2Buys. As crazy as this is getting, the card seems to benefit adding other cards to its strategy well. Seems fun.
Oxygen
$3 - Action
+1 Action
+$1
Another Archivist variant. This one with a bad Oasis or a bad Production Village mode. Two copies give +$2, +1 card, +3 card at the cost of 2 cards, making each +2 cards, +1 action, +$1, discard a card. That makes each almost a Grand Market. This one gets out of control too quickly.
Fluorine
$4 - Action
+1 Action
Without multiple copies, this card is awkward, though a non-terminal silver gainer for $4 isn't unreasonable for a consolation. In multiples, it starts gaining itself. It takes way too much work to gain a $5 card with this after you have flooded yourself (unless it is with Menageries, etc.)
Neon
$5 - Action-Reaction
+2 Cards
+1 Action
Discard a card.
--
We already have a "on discard" reaction in our set. If we didn't, I'd say this was fine.
Sodium
$3 - Action
Compared to Nitrogen, this is overcomplicated. Much stronger than Nitrogen and it is a completely linear combo (since it gets its own +Actions). Too cheap and easy to pull off.
Magnesium
$4 - Action
+1 Action
--
Magnesium here has too many moving parts. I like the sifting power by itself.
Aluminum
$2 - Action-Duration
Cute. A duration selfcounter. This takes into account 10 cards worth of Aluminum, making a collision of 3 likely, generating hugely versatile combinations. Thankfully, this does not have +buy, so the Aluminum deck needs a +Buy to work properly. I still imagine that this is too strong.

Silicon
$4 - Action
+3 Cards
+1 Action
Discard a card.
You have to "hold off" on using this until you have 2 or more. When you play it "blind" and fail, you have to wait until you buy another one to even try again. This creates a bad feeling. Also, we have other cards just like this in our set.
Phosphorus
$3 - Action
This card is hard to judge, since Lab effects are weak in BM and Silvers are weak in Engines. This must work best with Silver-gaining cards.
Sulfur
$4 - Action
OOOOooo. I like the subtlety of the self-support. Like Flourine, except with more interactivity. This card is much harder to use than Flourine and even Bridge. This starts out as an Ironworks that always gives the $1, then becomes a non-trashing Feast that gives $1. To get that, though, you need at least one village. Seems fun.
Chlorine
$3 - Action
+1 Action
We already have a "draw up to 5" in our set. The wording here is confusing and I still do not understand what this does.
Argon
$2 - Action
+1 Action
+1 Buy
+$1
Play Fishing Village, Argon (trashing estate) and Argon (trashing Copper). The opponent reveals Argon, Argon, Copper, Silver. You gain Gold Gold Gold Gold? This is just a cheap Treasure Map? They cannot collide turn 3 (Unless your opponent foolishly Militias you). They trash junk out of your hand instead of top-decking the Gold, but they provide the money you need to . You can also just Warehouse/Oasis/ Lighthouse/Hamlet your way down to 2 cards and you don't even need to get a second Argon. This is also a coin-giving-nonterminal single Estate trasher. I'd like this card to cost more, maybe $3.
Potassium
$5 - Action-Victory
Worth 2 VP
--
Action card, +2 Actions
Treasure card, +$2
Victory card, +2 Cards
Its self-synergy is that you can reveal itself to make it a VP-giving City. It also is one of the most versatile cards in the game on its own, trashing (masquerading, loaning), villaging, and terminal silvering. I think this is too much better than Nobles at a lower cost.
Calcium
$5 - Action
I like revealing itself for actions. If you reveal 2, then you are incentivized to keep playing them, discarding your whole hand except Calcium in the hopes of getting more. This is much easier than the Minion strategy (without the attack, but with +actions instead of +$2). As annoying and dominating as this may be, it seems okay.
Titanium
+1 Card
--
Too many parts. The Attack and benefits scale poorly to multiplayer. I don't even want to read the whole thing again to see if it makes sense.
Chromium
$5 - Action
+1 Action
+1 Card
This is arranged oddly. This needs more commas! Redeem!? It lets you save your drawing for next turn? So it is a weak tactician.
Manganese
$4 - Action
+2 Actions
Weird collaboration potential. There are some games where this becomes strong and many conditions that make this weak: (1) all cards are relevant to an engine (2) this is the only village, so the players cannot just stuff you with villages (3) this is one of the cheapest cards (4) there are no redundant Hard trashers like Chapel (5) there is no unsupported Tunnel. (6) there is no bad card like Thief, Pirate Ship, Scout, Counting House or Cellar to make you gain.
Iron
$5 - Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
--
You play two of these to make each one a Grand Market? Three of these and a random terminal and you have +$12? Seems too strong, but this is more expensive than a Fool's Gold. This leads to the kind of strategy that you only want Villages with...
Cobalt
$2 - Action
+1 Action
   This is a variant on Nitrogen and Sodium. By itself it is a copper or cantrip. With another you have a cantrip and a silver or a copper and a silver. With 3 you have a cantrip, a silver, and a gold, etc. This one gets strong too slowly, especially compared to Fools Gold, where all three are Gold.

Nickel
$3 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
--

If you don't intend to use this many times, this is a cantrip trash. That is too good for $3 if it has bonuses.
Zinc
$4 - Action-Looter

I see what is going on here. It is cute. Another Archivist variant. Each ability seems right at $3, and combining them seems very strong because if two collide, you are gaining +5 card from the second. If three collide, you can trash all but one card from your hand and draw +7 from one card. The strategy does need coin and buys to make it work, so it is not completely linear.
Gallium
$5 - Action
A Curser with options. The option where you play another this card lets you chain them and the last one gives the Curse (unless you already had 2 in hand in which case they both do). When the Curses are out, this ability is just going through your whole deck every other turn to find another Gallium for +1 Card. We already have a complex Curser in our set, but this might have potential.

Arsenic
$2 - Action
+1 Action
+$1
A copper that finds itself out of the deck. Each gets another chance to find its friends. Not the best card, but it can get out of hand since you can have a 22 card deck with 8 of these if uncontested. Seems fun.

Bromine
$5 - Action
+1 Action
Trashing 2 cards non-terminally is cool. Drawing and coining is cool. I like it. Seems fun.

Krypton
$2 - Treasure
Keeping track of that is quite weird. The balance of the card seems fine in most cases, but there isn't much interaction since very few cards topdeck from hand.

Cadmium
$4 - Action-Duration
+1 Action
+$1
Discarding down to 6 cards rarely hurts you much (since a 7 card hand is bound to have some junk). This is a delayed Peddler. Since this would trigger as many times as you have Cadmium, you filter many times. The intention I think would be: "At the start of your next turn, draw as many cards as you have [This Card] in play, then discard your [This Card] from play and discard down to 6 cards in hand." With that sort of change, seems okay.

Tin
$5 - Action
Another Archivist variant. This one is a very good $2 village in addition to being a cheap front end of Watchtower. Putting these options together creates a strategy doesn't need any non-Tin cards (maybe a terminal silver would help the deck). This one is weak at 5. It is still an insular strategy that doesn't need much help, and it isn't that great either (this has been editted)

Iodine
$3 - Action
+$1
+1 VP
This seems the same as a non-terminal +VP with very little interactivity with other players or other cards. This seems more vulnerable to the Monument non-ending game state than existing cards.

Xenon
$3 - Action
To get any use out of this, you need at least 3 Xenon. 3 Fools Gold gets you a Province.

Barium
$4 - Action
+1 Action
Seems very swingy, since this can draw 0 to 3 cards. Apothecary is similarly swingy. In multiples, you can be guaranteed at least 1 card total. You may feel it is best to say 0 and take your Coppers. An interesting play involves 3 Bariums. Play one, naming 2, getting an Estate and revealing a Copper and a Barium. Play another, naming 4, drawing the Barium and revealing 2 or 3 coppers. Play another, naming 0, drawing 2 to 3 coppers. Altogether, you only gained yourself 1-2 cards. If you trash your way down to only 4 cost cards, this could be a mighty engine, but the average use of this card is rather weak.
Tungsten
$6 - Action-Attack
+3 Cards
Discard 2 cards.
Wow. This card is awful the first time you play it and becomes a painful attack if you play it 4 or more times. It scales wonderfully for multiplayer since each player resets it. Unfortunately, I think it is too difficult to pull off. Torturer costs less, doesn't require discards, and after 4 plays the other players also have taken 2 curses. The attack part or the self benefit need to be improved, but I love the idea.
Mercury
$3 - Action
Gaining itself or a Village in preparation of a big turn is interesting, but this clogs your deck too much unless you can reliably get provinces with this, in which case it becomes a powerhouse. The power level might be just right. Seems okay. It also doubles as a bad Workshop.

Lead
$5 - Action
This is just a VP-less Nobles (to be specific a tested version of Nobles that DXV said was too strong with the VP at $6). Kind of uninteresting.
Radon
$2 - Action
+1 Action
+1 Buy
+$1
This is confusing. This would be simplified to: "Choose one: +2 actions, +2 Buy; +$2; or +1 Action, +1 Buy, +$1." The conversion rates seem fine, just the AP under the weight of an easy to acquire $2 is boggling.
Radium
$5 - Action
+3 Cards
If the point of this is to trash nicer cards from you hand, I would like this to be +2 cards, give the other +1 card if the card costs 3 or more, and cost $4. Right now, the card seems too strong, like a Masqerade with an additional +1 card.
Uranium
$5 - Action
+3 Actions
+1 Buy
+$5
Play this by itself or with 1 action, and it is a copper. Play this, then a terminal silver, and then another, and each one is a silver. Play a sifter, then this, then a terminal silver, then another this, and each one is a gold. It takes too much effort to make this good, except in the case of discard attacks or Vault, when this becomes amazing.
Plutonium
$2P - Action
+2 Cards
+$1
I can almost forgive the combination of +cards and +$1 because of "balance" issues with the other 2 card abilities. I am not voting for this because of the potion thing, but the card intrigues me, since my potion card used a similar ability and got fifth. You can turn Golems into this to play more of this? To do what? The abilities just don't seem connected enough
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 02:13:28 pm by One Armed Man »

nopawnsintended

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2012, 10:07:50 am »

Gaaaaah you people don't understand how difficult it is to read sentences like this without my brain exploding!

Hmmm... given that Hydrogen and Oxygen exhibit similar mechanics, I wonder if there's something we can do that is two parts Hydrogen and one part Oxygen.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2012, 10:16:40 am »
+1

Hmmm... given that Hydrogen and Oxygen exhibit similar mechanics, I wonder if there's something we can do that is two parts Hydrogen and one part Oxygen.
Water
$5 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1
Choose one: discard up to two cards, OR draw up to 5 cards.

nopawnsintended

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2012, 10:17:52 am »

Hydrogen
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
This is Archivist, the only fan card to grace Isotropic. Sorry you had to find out this way.

It's not exactly Archivist.

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1140683/jsimantov

... or at least the version I have seen.  It seems less flexible in that you must discard exactly two cards, but it compensates by giving you more money.  So, it is a (sort of) constrained Archivist with more money.  Because of the extra money, it's still not priced high enough though.

IMO, there's room for another fan card with an Archivist-style mechanic... given those cards in this contest are named Hydrogen and Oxygen, I'd suggest referring to it as "Water Elements" mechanic.... but I know almost nothing about chemistry.

Edit:

Water
$5 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1
Choose one: discard up to two cards, OR draw up to 5 cards.

That's mostly Oxygen though.  The only difference I see is the "up to" clause.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 10:21:06 am by nopawnsintended »

One Armed Man

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2012, 10:21:03 am »

My point is that it is extremely similar to Archivist by rinkworks. I know it is not the same, but we shouldn't just have a tribute to rinkwork's fan card in his fan set. Archivist is better balanced, I think.

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2012, 11:49:56 am »

I made a typo when including Tin on the ballot:  it should be priced at $5, not $2.

For those of you who have already voted, please reconsider your vote (or lack of a vote) for this card.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2012, 12:51:02 pm »

I applaud rinkworks for the most amusing card names so far. ;D

At the corrected price, I think Tin is OK.

My entry is getting mildly negative reviews, and I think I agree with them.  I foolishly undercosted it because I wanted cheaper cards, but I didn't nerf the ability because I think the name I gave it is so flavourful. :P

I repeat that Chromium has broken interaction with draw-to-X cards (JoaT, Watchtower, Library).  Also, the redemption is very much ambiguous.  I guessed that it was a gainer, gaining a card costing up to $X where X is the number of tokens you have.  Others seem to think that it is a card drawer.  I can see that interpretation too.  But either way, Chromium+Watchtower (or the others) gets you ALL the tokens.  From that point, you either guarantee drawing your deck every turn or just gaining all the Provinces immediately.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 20 queries.