Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Mini-Set Design Contest, Challenge #13: One-Shot Card!  (Read 38668 times)

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +937
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
Mini-Set Design Contest, Challenge #13: One-Shot Card!
« on: August 27, 2012, 12:28:02 pm »
+1

Submission Rules

* Submit no more than one card per person per challenge.  You do not need to submit for all challenges if you don't want to, but of course you can't win if you don't compete.
* Submit your cards to me via this forum's messaging system.  Submissions made after each week's deadline cannot be accepted.
* Each card you submit must have a name, a cost, a list of types, and the exact wording that should appear on the card.  Also include a brief description of any special design considerations (e.g., Stash having a unique back), but do NOT include any other information, such as strategic commentary or examples about it would play.
* Although you must submit names for each of your cards, the names will not be listed on the voting ballots, so make sure your card's appeal does not depend on your choice of name.
* I will accept revisions to your contest entries provided they are submitted to me before the deadline.  If you submit a revision to an entry you have previously submitted to me, resubmit your revised card(s) in their entirety.  That is, don't tell me "Oh, can you make that +2 Cards say +3 Cards instead?"  Just resubmit the full card.
* Only submit cards that are your own design.
* You may submit cards that have been previously posted here in this forum, including those that have been refined by the community as a whole, provided you can still claim that the central conceit of the card -- and the majority of its final version -- is yours.  This applies to cards previously posted, however -- if your submissions aren't already posted on his board, please refrain from doing so until after the results have been announced.
* A single card might conceivably qualify for multiple challenges within this series.  However, you may not submit the same card for more than one concurrent challenge.  That is, if you have submitted a card to one challenge, you may not submit it to another challenge until the results of that first challenge have been announced.
* Do not disclose your submissions publicly, either in this thread or elsewhere

--

The deadline for this week's challenges is Monday, September 3, at 10am EDT.

--

Challenge #13 - One-Shot Card

Objective: Create a one-shot card.  This is a card that trashes itself, returns itself to its pile, or sets itself aside permanently when played.  The card must always do this when played; it can't, for example, only trash or return itself under certain circumstances, or if the player chooses a particular option.  You may only submit a single card -- that is, you can't submit multiple cards that work together (such as Pillage and Spoils).

You may not include an event clause that undoes the effect of the trashing/returning.  For example, "When you trash this, gain a copy of this card from the trash."

Official Examples: Feast, Embargo, Treasure Map, Island, Pillage.

Official Non-Examples: Mining Village, because you don't have to trash it when you play it.  Horn of Plenty, because it only trashes itself if you use it to gain a Victory card.  Hermit, because it only trashes itself if you don't buy something when it is in play.  Madman, only because you'd need to submit Hermit as well, to specify how Madman cards are gained, and Hermit is ineligible.  Spoils, for the same reason, and even though Pillage is eligible, you can't submit multiple cards (Pillage plus Spoils).

--

The Ballot
The Results
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 12:43:53 pm by rinkworks »

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
Re: Mini-Set Design Contest, Challenge #13: One-Shot Card!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 01:02:46 pm »
+5

I'd assume that the following card does not qualify, with or without the "you may" included?

Weird Woodcutter
$3 - Action
+$2
+1 Buy
Trash this card.
--
When you trash this, you may gain a Weird Woodcutter from the trash.

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 01:25:45 pm »
+2

I'd assume that the following card does not qualify, with or without the "you may" included?

Weird Woodcutter
$3 - Action
+$2
+1 Buy
Trash this card.
--
When you trash this, you may gain a Weird Woodcutter from the trash.

Boy, is that a sneaky way to circumvent the rules.  Yes, let's disallow that.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 01:31:20 pm »
+2

BoyMan, is that a sneaky way to circumvent the rules.  Yes, let's disallow that.

FTFY

PenPen

• Thief
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 01:43:12 pm »

Stupid question: Can it be like an Action-Reaction? Like this:

Trashy Reaction
$2 - Action Reaction

Trash this card. +3 cards.
------------------
(Reaction effect eg Moat)

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 01:47:01 pm »

Stupid question: Can it be like an Action-Reaction? Like this:

Trashy Reaction
$2 - Action Reaction

Trash this card. +3 cards.
------------------
(Reaction effect eg Moat)

Sure, that's fine.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 01:49:03 pm »

Could a card reference Madman/Spoils or other non-Supply cards, as long as it uses ones already in the game?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 01:55:32 pm »

Could a card reference Madman/Spoils or other non-Supply cards, as long as it uses ones already in the game?

Yes, absolutely.

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 01:59:04 pm »

Too bad Island isn't allowed. Because technically, you play this card only once (or twice/thrice with TR/KC/Procession, but you know what I mean), so it sounds like a one-shot.
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 02:34:26 pm »

Too bad Island isn't allowed. Because technically, you play this card only once (or twice/thrice with TR/KC/Procession, but you know what I mean), so it sounds like a one-shot.

Island ought to be allowed.  (The fact that you can play it multiple times with TR/KC is true of other one-shots as well, so no problem there.)  I'll go modify the rules to allow it.

(That means Seaside has three one-shots, when many sets don't have any!)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 04:30:14 pm »

I fail to understand why Pillage/Spoils would be an ineligible submission.  We've seen [support card]'s before.  And both support cards in the combo are one shot.

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 04:32:04 pm »
+3

I fail to understand why Pillage/Spoils would be an ineligible submission.  We've seen [support card]'s before.  And both support cards in the combo are one shot.

Mostly just because this time there's an explicit rule disallowing support cards.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 06:51:10 pm »
+4

Mostly just because this time there's an explicit rule disallowing support cards.

I like this answer. It is very DXV.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 02:07:09 am »

Something worth noting about the one shots that already exist is that they all have effects that linger for the rest of the game. Feast permanently gets you a $5 card that you wouldn't otherwise have without gaining that feast, Treasure map gives you 4 golds. Embargo affects what you can buy for the rest of the game. Island comes back later. The only exception is Pillage, but between its deadly attack and the 2 (admittedly self trashing) cards it gains its effect can be felt for some time after it's used. I don't think a card that's something like "Trash this card. +5 cards" would go down well.

razorborne

• Bishop
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 02:16:22 am »

You may not include an event clause that undoes the effect of the trashing/returning.  For example, "When you trash this, gain a copy of this card from the trash."
if you want to be insanely pedantic, I think this rule disqualifies Feast, as Feast can gain another Feast. it doesn't undo it entirely, in that in doing so you effectively trash a feast from the supply, but the fact remains that, when you use a Feast to gain a Feast, you have the same total amount of Feasts in your deck before and after playing the action.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2012, 02:36:45 am »

if you want to be insanely pedantic, I think this rule disqualifies Feast, as Feast can gain another Feast. it doesn't undo it entirely, in that in doing so you effectively trash a feast from the supply, but the fact remains that, when you use a Feast to gain a Feast, you have the same total amount of Feasts in your deck before and after playing the action.

...Feast can gain another feast. (And Embargo gives you enough +$ to buy another Embargo.) But what Rinkworks is ruling out here is cards that say, in effect, 'Do something. Oh, and then pretend to trash this card so it qualifies for the contest, but don't really trash it.'

Whether a card "Ruined Feast", whose text is "Trash this card. Gain a Ruined Feast," would be eligible, I don't want to judge; but Ruined Feast is a far cry from actual Feast.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2012, 05:55:51 am »

I always thought ruined feast (Trash this card, gain a ruins, maybe with +1 action) would be a nice way to tie the ruins deck together. I'm assuming these competitions are only for kingdom cards though.

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2012, 08:18:26 am »

When you use Feast to gain another Feast, that second Feast doesn't come from the trash.  So it's okay by the letter of the rule here.  Not that I'd allow "when you trash this, gain another copy" either, particularly.  The spirit behind the rule is that you shouldn't be able to use its power and keep it or a copy of it in your deck.

With Feast, if you use it to gain another Feast, you haven't made use of its power (replacing itself with another card), and so it's okay.  It's not greatly different from not playing it at all.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2012, 08:59:14 am »

Something worth noting about the one shots that already exist is that they all have effects that linger for the rest of the game. Feast permanently gets you a $5 card that you wouldn't otherwise have without gaining that feast, Treasure map gives you 4 golds. Embargo affects what you can buy for the rest of the game. Island comes back later. The only exception is Pillage, but between its deadly attack and the 2 (admittedly self trashing) cards it gains its effect can be felt for some time after it's used. I don't think a card that's something like "Trash this card. +5 cards" would go down well.

Why not?  It would be a newish mechanic that might be interesting.  Also, Madman, while not technically qualifying for this, is a one-shot that doubles your hand size.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Adrienaline

• Baron
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2012, 09:08:40 am »

Does it have to be trash/return to the supply/set aside? If we can come up with another mechanic for the card to no longer available after you play it, is that ok?

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2012, 09:12:53 am »

Does it have to be trash/return to the supply/set aside? If we can come up with another mechanic for the card to no longer available after you play it, is that ok?

Go ahead and submit it, and I'll let you know if it's eligible.

Adrienaline

• Baron
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2012, 10:41:56 am »

I was going to submit this, but I think it's too out there even for those that like customisable cards

Legacy- $3
Action/Attack?
You may add the "top sticker" to the remaining *card names* in the supply, in your hand and in your discard pile, if you do rip this card up, destroying it. If not, trash this card.
Discard the top card of the "sticker cards" to reveal a new "top sticker"

Sticker cards: +1 card, +1 action, +$1, +1 buy, everyone else gains a curse

Set up: Before play, shuffle together all the previously used *card names* and create a kingdom pile from these.

Special rule: Stickers are not allowed to cover previous stickers. The card area for the stickers is big enough for three stickers in a line. __/__/__
Special rule: The sticker cards are five random cards that are shuffled together, with the top one revealed so that players will know which sticker can be applied the next time *card name* is revealed.

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2012, 09:00:22 pm »

Could the card be a "permanent" Duration? E.g. "Now and at the beginning of each turn, X"?

Could the card trash/return/set-aside itself on gain/buy rather than on play?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2012, 09:02:56 pm »

Could the card be a "permanent" Duration? E.g. "Now and at the beginning of each turn, X"?

The topic says that it should trash itself (etc.) when played, so I would think no for the second point.

It is less clear on the first point, but I think a permanent Duration would violate the spirit of the competition.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2012, 11:06:13 pm »

"This is a card that trashes itself, returns itself to its pile, or sets itself aside permanently when played.  The card must always do this when played."

I think it's pretty clear.  It could probably have an on-trash ability (like Cultist does) as long as its main section includes "trash this card" and doesn't include "gain a copy of this card."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.