Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: Mini-Set Design Contest, Challenge #13: One-Shot Card!  (Read 38677 times)

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
Re: Mini-Set Design Contest, Challenge #13: One-Shot Card!
« Reply #75 on: September 07, 2012, 05:00:27 pm »

You know rinkworks, I thought I had a great system for finding people's comments on specific cards: show all comments then search for the card name. But with card names like Silver and Chan, that is not working out so well this time.  :(

I had the same issue! Chan was especially bad.

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 07, 2012, 05:01:52 pm »

You know rinkworks, I thought I had a great system for finding people's comments on specific cards: show all comments then search for the card name. But with card names like Silver and Chan, that is not working out so well this time.  :(

Just add spaces to both sides of chan in the search and problem is solved, not as easy of a fix for silver though...

Schneau

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #77 on: September 07, 2012, 05:03:15 pm »

Just add spaces to both sides of chan in the search and problem is solved, not as easy of a fix for silver though...

Doesn't work - there isn't a space after Chan if you copied the full cards, just a new line.

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2012, 05:03:41 pm »

Doesn't work - there isn't a space after Chan if you copied the full cards, just a new line.

blast!

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2012, 06:10:34 pm »

So, I am concerned that a few of the cards will break when Throne Roomed or King's Courted because of a lack of an "If you do" clause giving the effect only if the card is trashed. Since this is an easy fix we can make to the wording of a card if it wins, I will ignore these problems when voting. 

"Feasts"

Brown
$4 - Action-Victory
Trash this card. Gain a Victory card costing up to $6.
--
Worth 2 VP

Nice and simple. Seems balanced, and goes nicely with a VP theme for the set. However, this is very much a new Victory card, rather than a card that interacts with Victory cards. I would rather have the latter.

Quin
$5 - Action
Trash this card.
Gain up to 2 cards costing a total of 7. Put the cards on your deck.

I also like Quin. It combines some existing mechanics in a new and interesting way.

I agree with GendoIkari that Shayne is way to good -- and I think there is no price which would make it work. I also don't like Hammer (Random? Just put Feast in play instead, please) or Spenser (too many kingdoms break it).

Trash Other Cards for Benefit

Marlowe
$5 - Action
Put your deck into your discard pile. Search your discard pile, reveal up to two cards costing up to $6 from your discard pile or hand and trash them. For each trashed card, gain a card costing at most $1 more than the trashed card. Then trash this card.
--
(Rules clarification: You are not restricted to either your hand or discard pile. You may choose to trash a card from your hand and a card from your discard pile.)

Nice and simple in concept even though it takes a block of text to explain. I like it.

Bradley
$6* - Action
Trash this card and up to 4 cards from your hand. Gain 2 cards that together cost up to as much as the total cost in coins of all cards trashed this way (including this).
--
This costs $1 less for every copy of this card that is in the trash, but not less than $0.
--
(Special design considerations: This card is handled like a Prosperity card, so it increases the chances of playing with Platinum and Colonies if this is in the game.)

I like the idea, but I think I like Quin better.

Monk
$2 - Action
Trash this. Trash a card from the supply that is not a Victory card.
+$1 per differently named card in the trash.

I like the idea, but I think it's better implemented in the DA card Forager.

Silver
$6 - Action
You may choose an Action card from your hand. Play that card 4 times.
Trash this card as well as the card you chose.

I like this a lot, but I this is one of the cards I feel would benefit from an "if you do" clause after trashing before playing a card 4 times.

I just don't care for Columbo (too similar to Carpenter).

Cards that just Trash Other Cards

Magnum
$4 - Action
+2 Cards
Trash this and 3 other cards from your hand.

Nice, simple, balanced. And boring.

Moto
$2 - Action
+2 Cards
Trash this and a card from your hand. Name a card. Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal the named card, and then trash it. Discard the other revealed cards.

A little more exciting. Might be a little strong. Not the best card submitted, though.

Bobbsey would be bad in DA games. Dupin seems scary strong. Wolfe should probably read "your cards in play" and seems strong. Temple is swingy and strong.

One-Time Benefit

These are cards where you get a one-time benefit that does not involve gaining other cards or trashing other cards as the primary intent.

Warshawski
$3 - Action
+$1
Trash this card.
--
When you trash this, choose one: trash up to three cards from your hand; or +3 Cards; or gain a Spoils.

I like this. Simple, easy, and interesting choices.

Templar
$5 - Action-Victory
Trash this card. Take an extra turn after this one.
This can't cause you to take more than two consecutive turns.
--
Worth 2 VP

I like the idea of taking another turn. This card seems under-priced, though -- I'm not sure why one should be allowed to open with it -- and I'm not sure why it needs the VP.

Mason
$5 - Action
+1 Action.
Trash this card. If you do, reveal an Action card from your hand and choose one: +coins equal to the card's cost and +1 buy OR gain a copy of the card and play it immediately.

This is one of my favorites submitted even though it has a couple of issues. Shouldn't be allowed to reveal Mason, for instance.

Beresford Maybe should be a permanent duration? Why return to the supply? Not for me. Withers should be a duration. Falcon should be an attack. Neither is a card I want to play.

Other Cheapo Cards

Hardy
$1 - Action
+$1
+1 Buy
Choose one: +2 Cards or +2 Actions.
Return this card to the supply.

I agree that even for a one-shot it seems too good; especially with the return to the supply part. I suspect too many kingdoms would just be broken with this card. Nice and simple, though.

Wimsey
$2 - Treasure-Victory
Worth $2 and 0.5 VP.  When you play this, return it to the supply.
--
When you gain a Scout, you may gain two [This Card]s.
--
Setup: Add Scout as an extra Kingdom card.  There are 20 [This Card]s.

I am surprised more cards didn't try to pair up with existing cards to get around rinkworks's restriction of submitting only one card. I particularly like the idea of pairing up with a weak card and giving it new life. I like this card and think it would be fun, add interesting play, adds a card designed to combo with Victory -- Scout --, and is great in this set to go with the Victory card theme, which makes Scout more likely to be useful, anyway. It also breaks a design rule that DA didn't break: the use of integers only on cards!

Fletcher
$2 - Action
Trash this and another card from your hand.  All cards cost $2 less this turn, but not less than $0.

Stone
$0 - Action-Victory
Return this to the supply.
Worth -1 VP
--
When there are at least two [This Card]s in the supply, when you buy a card, you may pay $1 less than its current cost. If you do, put into your discard pile two [This Card]s from the supply.

Fletcher and Stone have a similar cost reduction idea. I like Stone a lot better for balance reasons. I am quite confident Fletcher is not balanced. KC & TR problems (e.g. GM-KC-Fletcher) can be fixed with an "if you do clause," but then the benefit (mega cost reduction and trashing!) is just too good on too many boards, regardless. I also think Stone does a better job of dealing with the need of this card for some kind of plus buy -- you don't need an extra buy to use the ability! This makes its use more consistent across different kingdoms. And you get the ability right away. It seems like some people weren't understanding why the card would ever be used: to me, Stone allows you to apply a Cache-like ability to any card in the kingdom. Cache gives you a Gold for $1 less at the cost of two permenently clogging Coppers, while Stone lets you pick up any card for $1 less at the cost of gaining two temporarily clogging Curses. No end game issues of picking up a $7 Province, because you get minus VP to balance it out. It gives you an option of a $7 4VP card or a $10 8VP late in Colony games, if you really need it. Returning to the supply makes sense here so you can use the ability more than 4 times per game (since it's a VP card, there are only 8 in the supply for 2 players). Combos with Scout. I like Stone a lot.

On another note, I don't like what Carter would do to games. Seems too cheap. This should be an attack because of the way it junks up others' economies. Kind of appropriately named, though.

Dislikes

None of the cards requiring potions, new tokens, or new mats strikes my fancy this time. Sorry. That means no go for Holmes, Vance, Blackie, Drummond, Lanyard (though I do think the set could benefit from another Village, this isn't it), or Morse.

I just don't care for any of the cards that have players gain Treasure this time around. So no votes for Spade (Re: One Armed Man: bad Governor, indeed!), Rockford, Tracy (Seems way too dangerous to vote for without playtesting -- could be a more swingy, unbalanced Tournament; and who wants that? In practice, I suspect it will play just like Tournament since the Gold gain is not much of a consolation prize at all -- you could have just bought a Gold with $6, instead), Campion (too much text and bookkeeping to decipher your benefit), or Alleyn.

I also don't like the attacks. The attacks that wipe out other players' turns are kind of like Possession, right? And none of these cards are priced that high. I don't care for Rockford, Queen (disappointing for the player if opponents trash; disappointing for the opponents if they don't), Vance, or Dover or Drew (even as one-shots, they just seems too strong -- and they go back to the supply to haunt you agian another day? Yuck.).

Some Selfish Analysis

I like the idea behind Marple, but it's unbalanced and I have a card with a much better version of the mechanic I have been holding onto, just waiting for the right time to enter it! So I won't vote for this.

The two cards that "block," [/b]Poirot[/b] and Chan are interesting, but like with Marple, I have a much better, play-tested version I am just waiting to submit at the right time. So I won't vote for this, and I would encourage others to be open to a better version of them in the future.

Also, I submitted a card to the contest.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 07, 2012, 09:43:33 pm »

I also don't like the attacks. The attacks that wipe out other players' turns are kind of like Possession, right?

Possession doesn't wipe out other players' turns.  It just lets you take an extra turn using their deck.  Sometimes Possession steals away a good hand, but it is neutral on average.  This is why Possession is not classified as an Attack.

Amb and Masq notwithstanding.

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 08, 2012, 05:20:57 am »

So, I am concerned that a few of the cards will break when Throne Roomed or King's Courted because of a lack of an "If you do" clause giving the effect only if the card is trashed. Since this is an easy fix we can make to the wording of a card if it wins, I will ignore these problems when voting. 

"Feasts"

It seems worth noting that Feast itself does not have an "If you do" clause.

Polk5440

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 08, 2012, 10:20:19 am »

"Feasts"

It seems worth noting that Feast itself does not have an "If you do" clause.

Yeah, that comment was meant to be just a general comment, not necessarily reflecting on the "feast" cards. I really had in mind Silver, some of the attacks, and a cost reduction card.

Polk5440

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 08, 2012, 10:41:25 am »

I also don't like the attacks. The attacks that wipe out other players' turns are kind of like Possession, right?

Possession doesn't wipe out other players' turns.  It just lets you take an extra turn using their deck.  Sometimes Possession steals away a good hand, but it is neutral on average.  This is why Possession is not classified as an Attack.

I was thinking in terms of power and thinking the discard everything attacks are under-priced. Possession lets you take your turn and then another turn using your opponent's deck. Making your opponent discard his whole hand usually means they can't do anything (Wharfs in play are a big exception), and you get to take another turn with your deck. So in a two player game, Possession gives you 2 turns, one with your deck and one with another, and attacks that make opponents discard entire hands give you two turns with your deck. Seems pretty equal in power to me to a first order. But these are one shots, so maybe being cheaper is okay....

On the point you brought up, I actually think Possession should be an attack because it does hurt your opponent on average by the way you play his cards: you may be able to remove cards from his deck, trigger a bad reshuffle, or otherwise make the top of his deck worse. Possession would be purchased a lot less often, though, if it could be countered easily by Moat or Lighthouse.

Schneau

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #84 on: September 08, 2012, 11:58:09 am »

I was thinking in terms of power and thinking the discard everything attacks are under-priced. Possession lets you take your turn and then another turn using your opponent's deck. Making your opponent discard his whole hand usually means they can't do anything (Wharfs in play are a big exception), and you get to take another turn with your deck. So in a two player game, Possession gives you 2 turns, one with your deck and one with another, and attacks that make opponents discard entire hands give you two turns with your deck. Seems pretty equal in power to me to a first order. But these are one shots, so maybe being cheaper is okay....

On the point you brought up, I actually think Possession should be an attack because it does hurt your opponent on average by the way you play his cards: you may be able to remove cards from his deck, trigger a bad reshuffle, or otherwise make the top of his deck worse. Possession would be purchased a lot less often, though, if it could be countered easily by Moat or Lighthouse.

The difference between Possession and discard-everyones'-cards is that you can easily pin people if you can have them discard all their cards. This is no fun. Possession, even if you KC it, gives you a turn eventually - pins do not.

Polk5440

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 08, 2012, 12:20:22 pm »
+1

Oh, gosh! That makes it even worse, doesn't it?

Schneau

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #86 on: September 08, 2012, 01:11:24 pm »
+1

Oh, gosh! That makes it even worse, doesn't it?

If by "it" you mean attacks that can potentially make everyone discard all their cards, then yes, they are definitely worse than Possession.

PenPen

• Thief
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 10, 2012, 12:57:35 pm »

I'll be posting my quickie thoughts below. Sorry that I'm unable to blockquote on this, I was typing my thoughts (for voting) in Notepad and then kept on typing the whole thing. And I'm not too familiar with the cards from newer expansions. So apologies if I can't tell whether it's a variant of some other card.

Also one of the cards here is mine.

Poirot - Like this idea, pretty interesting.
Holmes - You really need to stack up on these for a megaturn, but gaining a Gold and putting it on the mat...not sure.
Marlowe - Seems too powerful since you can search for two different cards to trash.
Brown - Trash this for a Nobles/Harem or Duchy, maybe? Decent but not interesting enough.
Hardy - Too many functions for a $1 card
Marple - Awesome if your hand is stuffed with victory cards. Not sure...
Spade - Seems okay. You do get a Gold on your next turn, but may be able to do this on $4?
Bobbsey - This card is like a Terminator for Estates. It may also mean that you'll also be discarding a lot of useful cards if you play it, but at this cost, you can't really complain.
Columbo - Looks fine, not too sure of the second part though.
Dupin - Trash up to 4 cards that I choose? I suppose this is ok.
Rockford - Feels too powerful to me for a $4 card.
Magnum - Simple and may hurt your hand if you're unlucky. I'm ok with that.
Fletcher - If you can stack this like a KC or TR, or an engine, it feels broken.
Chan - Engine breaker, money breaker. I know there's only 1 token but I no likey.
Wimsey - Not sure if serious, but at least there's no problems of draw games if this is in the game!
Carter - Looks good for a $1 card.
Queen - This hurts so much since it either means the whole hand is discarded or trashing an otherwise useful card into a Curse. Too powerful.
Tracy - I suppose this is okay, but at $6 I would prolly just get the gold directly instead of this.
Campion - Feels complex, and what happens if I play a Coppersmith (or multiples)? Also swingy.
Vance - Feels like a plague that spreads out. One thing for certain is that this supply pile will run empty real quick once a player got a copy.
Dover - Multi-functional attack that pretty much does something bad to other players once it's involved. Not sure if like.
Alleyn - Interesting idea.
Shayne - I suppose this is okay, it also means I can gain ANY action card of any combinations? If there's two really awesome cards like KC, I'd trash this asap and get them. Really depends on the board.
Hammer - A random card doesn't feel right. Also this also means a random card up to $6...that's a lot of cards.
Charles - I like this but at $2 it's too low for my liking.
Wolfe - Copper/Curse killer I guess, you might need just 1 copy early to clear out your Coppers or Curses later on.
Beresford - Pretty flexible card made by the set aside section of the card. I think that probably would worth more than $4.
Warshawski - Feels good.
Withers - I think you can call this an Action-Duration? I can't tell if +$3 next turn for $3 is the right cost. I think it could be more expensive.
Blackie - I really like the concept (since I had a similar one from the Cursed Village thread). This also makes Ruins go away from the deck.
Templar - VP feels tacked on. I think it's ok otherwise.
Temple - Pretty simple. I like.
Falcon - Wha...this card is too good.
Drew - $3 for a +2 card and curses for other guys is too cheap.
Mason - I like this one.
Drummond - So is this a +$2 card? It feels weird. Also I find it hilarious if the Drummond token is put on the Drummond pile.
Moto - Feels similar to a card up there.
Bradley - I like this idea, but not sure how it really works in play. If I trash a Province I can replace it with another Province or a Colony, and trigger a faster endgame?
Monk - This feels pretty strong in a heavy trashing game.
Silver - King's Court with Red Bull, getting wings that last for a second and then falling off a cliff immediately afterwards. Feels a bit too powerful.
Quin - This limits my combinations (probably intentional). So if I get a Gold, I'm forced to find a $1 card that is probably non-existant in the game. I might be able to get two decent action cards, or maybe a Silver and an action card.
Lanyard - I think I really like this card.
Spenser - I'm not sure if this is too powerful or not. I think it is, but this needs to be playtested.
Morse - I...am confused.
Stone - This looks pretty intriguing.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 13, 2012, 11:05:51 am »
+2

Results!!  My breath is bated.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

nopawnsintended

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +186
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #89 on: September 13, 2012, 11:10:11 am »
+1

Results!!  My breath is bated.

Your post got me all excited, then I saw that it wasn't the results, but a call for results.  *sigh*

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 13, 2012, 12:42:51 pm »

I'm sure everyone has voted already.  Would Charles have been better at 3$ instead of 2$?  I figured you can't open it 5/2, and I didn't feel too concerned about 4$ +1 buy double purchases of it, so it could be okay at 2 as a "Do you want this at all" question.  It'd be fine at 3$ though, or 4.

Feast would be a much more interesting card at 2-3$, imo.

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +937
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #91 on: September 13, 2012, 12:43:09 pm »
+1

The results are in!  As a reminder, here was the objective for this challenge:

Create a one-shot card.  This is a card that trashes itself, returns itself to its pile, or sets itself aside permanently when played.  The card must always do this when played; it can't, for example, only trash or return itself under certain circumstances, or if the player chooses a particular option.  You may only submit a single card -- that is, you can't submit multiple cards that work together (such as Pillage and Spoils).

You may not include an event clause that undoes the effect of the trashing/returning.  For example, "When you trash this, gain a copy of this card from the trash."

Let's not delay.  Your winner is....

#1 - Mountain Pass by eHalcyon with 18 points (Fletcher)
$2 - Action
Trash this and another card from your hand.  All cards cost $2 less this turn, but not less than $0.

It was a close one, but eHalcyon ekes out the win by a single point.  It's a one-shot Bridge-type card that also trashes.  Without +Buy, it's a one-shot Silver with light trashing; late in the game, you can perhaps put together a megaturn, although getting all the pieces in place is a touch tricky since you have to have a card in hand to sacrifice to it.

The rest of the ballot:

#2 - Thanksgiving by Tdog with 17 points (Quin)
$5 - Action
Trash this card.
Gain up to 2 cards costing a total of 7. Put the cards on your deck.

#3 - Diplomat by Kirian with 15 points (Warshawski)
$3 - Action
+$1
Trash this card.
--
When you trash this, choose one: trash up to three cards from your hand; or +3 Cards; or gain a Spoils.

#4 - Foundry (1) by Archetype with 12 points (Magnum)
$4 - Action
+2 Cards
Trash this and 3 other cards from your hand.

#5 (tie) - Loan Shark by Polk5440 with 10 points (Stone)
$0 - Action-Victory
Return this to the supply.
Worth -1 VP
--
When there are at least two Loan Sharks in the supply, when you buy a card, you may pay $1 less than its current cost. If you do, put into your discard pile two Loan Sharks from the supply.

#5 (tie) - Full House by popsofctown with 10 points (Charles)
$2 - Action
Trash this card.  Reveal your hand.  If there are no duplicate cards in it, gain a copy of each Action or Treasure you revealed this way.

#7 (tie) - Sparkly Vampire by Bella Cullen with 9 points (Tracy)
$6 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
When you play this, trash it.  If you do, gain a Prize or a Gold.  You may put your deck in the discard pile.
--
You cannot buy this if you have any Copper in play.

#7 (tie) - Manservant by jamespotter with 9 points (Mason)
$5 - Action
+1 Action.
Trash this card. If you do, reveal an Action card from your hand and choose one: +coins equal to the card's cost and +1 buy OR gain a copy of the card and play it immediately.

#9 (tie) - Windmill by angrybirds with 8 points (Columbo)
$3 - Action
Trash this card and gain a card costing up to $1 more than the cost of this card.
You may also trash a card from your hand in addition to this. If you do gain an additional copy of the card gained.

#9 (tie) - Magistrate by One Armed Man with 8 points (Chan)
$2 - Action
Choose 1: +2 Cards or +2 Actions.
Trash this card. Move the Magistrate token to the top of a non-Magistrate Supply pile.
--
Cards from the Supply pile with the Magistrate token have no effect when played. At the beginning of each player's Buy phase, that player can discard from their hand any number of cards from that pile for +$1 each, +$2 each instead if they are Kingdom cards.

#9 (tie) - Squatter by Saucery with 8 points (Carter)
$1 - Action
+1 Action
--
If you gain this card during your turn, you may return it to the supply immediately. If you do, each other player gains a Squatter.

#12 (tie) - Badge by nopawnsintended with 7 points (Wimsey)
$2 - Treasure-Victory
Worth $2 and 0.5 VP.  When you play this, return it to the supply.
--
When you gain a Scout, you may gain two Badges.
--
Setup: Add Scout as an extra Kingdom card.  There are 20 Badges.

#12 (tie) - Foundry (2) by PurplePotato with 7 points (Spenser)
$5 - Action
Trash this card. Choose one: Gain two cards costing up to $4 each; or gain three cards costing up to $3 each; or gain four cards costing up to $2 each.

#12 (tie) - Facade by Graystripe77 with 7 points (Poirot)
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Place this on top of any supply pile.
--
(Rules clarification: When this is on top of a pile, this must be bought before any cards underneath.)

#15 (tie) - Usurper by Watno with 6 points (Silver)
$6 - Action
You may choose an Action card from your hand. Play that card 4 times.
Trash this card as well as the card you chose.

#15 (tie) - Piste Town by NoMoreFun with 6 points (Hardy)
$1 - Action
+$1
+1 Buy
Choose one: +2 Cards or +2 Actions.

#15 (tie) - Grandkid by Guy Srinivasan with 6 points (Bobbsey)
$2 - Action
Trash this. Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal an Estate. Trash the Estate. Discard the revealed cards.

#18 (tie) - Leper by Adrienaline with 5 points (Vance)
$P - Action-Plague
+1 Card
+1 Action
Gain a Curse.
The person to your left gains this card.
--
If you trash this card, discard a card.
When you buy this card, return it to the supply. Everyone else gains a copy.

#18 (tie) - Henge by Mecherath with 5 points (Templar)
$5 - Action-Victory
Trash this card. Take an extra turn after this one.
This can't cause you to take more than two consecutive turns.
--
Worth 2 VP

#18 (tie) - Supremacy by Qvist with 5 points (Monk)
$2 - Action
Trash this. Trash a card from the supply that is not a Victory card.
+$1 per differently named card in the trash.

#18 (tie) - Freedom Village by Powerman with 5 points (Lanyard)
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
Trash this card.  Gain 2 Tokens on your Freedom Village mat.
--
At the beginning of any turn, remove any number of tokens from your Freedom Village mat.  +1 Action per token removed.

#18 (tie) - Archduchy by Sakako with 5 points (Brown)
$4 - Action-Victory
Trash this card. Gain a Victory card costing up to $6.
--
Worth 2 VP

#18 (tie) - Lifeboat by RobertJ with 5 points (Beresford)
$4 - Action
Choose one:
+2 Actions;
+$1, +1 Buy;
trash your hand.
--
When you gain this, set it aside; you may add it to your hand at the start of any of your future turns.
--
When you play this, return it to the supply.

#24 (tie) - Rag-and-Bone Man by Davio with 4 points (Temple)
$3 - Action
Name a card. Look through your discard pile and trash all copies of the named card.
Trash this card.

#24 (tie) - Expedition by dnkywin with 4 points (Spade)
$5 - Action
Trash this card. Gain a Gold on top of your deck. Each other player gains a Silver.

#24 (tie) - Pyromancer by JFugue with 4 points (Drew)
$3 - Action-Attack
+2 Cards
You may trash up to two cards from your hand.  If you trash at least one card in this way, every other player gains a Curse.

#27 (tie) - Keep by Schneau with 3 points (Withers)
$3 - Action
+1 Action
Trash this card.
--
When you trash this card, set it aside. At the start of your next Buy phase, +1 Buy, +$3, and put this card in the trash.
--
(Rules clarifications: When you put this card in the trash after it was set aside, you are not trashing the card, so the "When you trash this card..." clause doesn't take effect.)

#27 (tie) - Druid by Fragasnap with 3 points (Moto)
$2 - Action
+2 Cards
Trash this and a card from your hand. Name a card. Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal the named card, and then trash it. Discard the other revealed cards.

#29 (tie) - Donation by heatthespurs with 2 points (Wolfe)
$2 - Treasure
Worth $1
When you play this, trash this together with any number of cards in play or from your hand costing $0.
--
When you gain this, you may play it immediately.

#29 (tie) - Voodoo Hut by ignorentmen with 2 points (Shayne)
$5 - Action
Trash this card. If you do, gain two action cards, the first to your hand, the second to the top of your deck. You cannot use this card to gain another copy of this card.

#29 (tie) - Old Tree by brokoli with 2 points (Marple)
$3 - Action
+$2
Trash this.
Reveal any number of Victory cards from your hand. +$1 per Victory card revealed.
--
When you buy this, put your deck into your discard pile.

#29 (tie) - Redecorate by Tables with 2 points (Marlowe)
$5 - Action
Put your deck into your discard pile. Search your discard pile, reveal up to two cards costing up to $6 from your discard pile or hand and trash them. For each trashed card, gain a card costing at most $1 more than the trashed card. Then trash this card.
--
(Rules clarification: You are not restricted to either your hand or discard pile. You may choose to trash a card from your hand and a card from your discard pile.)

#29 (tie) - Piggy Bank by DWetzel with 2 points (Holmes)
$3 - Action
When you play Piggy Bank, trash it.
Choose one: place any number of Treasure cards from your hand on your Piggy Bank mat; gain a Gold, placing it on your Piggy Bank mat; or place all cards on your Piggy Bank mat in your hand.
--
Setup: each player gets their own Piggy Bank mat if Piggy Bank is in play.  At the end of the game, return all cards on Piggy Bank mats to their owner's deck.

#29 (tie) - Pantry by yuma with 2 points (Dupin)
$4 - Action
+$1
Trash this card. If you do, you may put your deck into your discard pile and trash up to four cards from it. After sorting through it, reshuffle your draw pile.

#29 (tie) - Blessing by Destry with 2 points (Blackie)
$3P - Action-Looter
Gain a Ruins to your hand.
Set this card aside. If you do, place a Ruins on it.
Return them to your deck at the end of the game.
--
When you play the first action of your turn, play it as if your set-aside Ruins' texts were added to the bottom of the card in the order you decide.

#29 (tie) - Investment by PenPen with 2 points (Alleyn)
$4 - Treasure
Worth $2
Trash this card. Gain a Silver, and the player to your right gains a Gold.
--
When you would gain this, the player to your left gains this card instead, and only that player can gain this card.
--
(Rules clarification: The player to the left cannot have the player to HIS left gain this card, he is the sole person gaining the card. Reactions to card gains apply in this situation however, e.g. Watchtower. When this card is played, the original buyer of this card will gain the Gold, and the "player to the left" gains the Silver.)

#37 (tie) - Tax by Michaelf7777777 with 1 point (Rockford)
$4 - Action-Attack
Each other player reveals their hand and trashes half their treasure cards (rounded down). Put all treasure trashed in this way into your hand.
Trash this card. Put a tax token on top of a kingdom supply pile.
--
Kingdom cards cost $1 more per tax token on that pile.

#37 (tie) - Brush Fire by zahlman with 1 point (Queen)
$5 - Action-Attack
Trash this. You may trash a card that is neither a Curse nor a Ruins from your hand; if you do, +1 VP. Each opponent may trash a card that is neither a Curse nor a Ruins from his hand. If he does, he gains a Curse in hand; otherwise, he discards his hand.

#37 (tie) - Transform by Tejayes with 1 point (Morse)
$P - Action
Choose one: +$3; or +$P.
Trash this card. If you do, choose one: put a Transform token on any pile without one on it; or remove a Transform token from any pile with one on it.
Cards in piles with Transform tokens cost $P less and $3 more if it has a Potion in its cost; otherwise, it costs $P more and $3 less (but not less than $0).
--
(Rules clarification: If no piles have a Transform token on it, you must put a token on a pile. Eligible piles for Transform tokens include Supply piles, non-Supply piles such as Madman, the Black Market deck, the trash, and players' decks. For tokens on players' decks, the effect extends to that player's hand, play area, and discard pile. Once a card is removed from a Transformed pile, its cost reverts to normal until placed in another pile with a Transform token.)

#37 (tie) - Royal Wedding by Fuu with 1 point (Falcon)
$6 - Action
+2 Cards
+2 Actions
+$2
Trash this. If you do, each other player with 5 or more cards in hand draws a card, then passes a card from his hand to you.

#37 (tie) - Charlatan by ashersky with 1 point (Dover)
$4 - Action-Attack
+$1
Choose one: +1 Card, +1 Action, each other player gains a Curse; or, +2 Cards, +1 Buy, each other player draws a card, then discards two.
--
When you gain or trash this, each other player gains a Copper.

#37 (tie) - Mercantile Exchange by Darthcaboose with 1 point (Campion)
$3 - Action
+$1
At the start of Clean-up this turn, if the +$X gained from all Action cards in play is greater than the coins provided by Treasure cards in play, gain a Treasure card costing up to the sum of all +$X in play and coins provided by Treasures in play. Otherwise, gain an Action card costing up to the sum of all +$X in play and coins provided by Treasures in play.
--
When this is in play, instead of discarding it during Clean-up, trash it instead.

#37 (tie) - Shape Shifter by Schlippy with 1 point (Bradley)
$6* - Action
Trash this card and up to 4 cards from your hand. Gain 2 cards that together cost up to as much as the total cost in coins of all cards trashed this way (including this).
--
This costs $1 less for every copy of this card that is in the trash, but not less than $0.
--
(Special design considerations: This card is handled like a Prosperity card, so it increases the chances of playing with Platinum and Colonies if this is in the game.)

#44 (tie) - Banquet by Rush Clasic with 0 points (Hammer)
$4 - Action
Trash this card. Gain a random card costing up to $2 more than this.

#44 (tie) - Shapeshifter by Titandrake with 0 points (Drummond)
$4 - Action
+$1
--
Setup: At the start of the game, place the Shapeshifter token on the Shapeshifter supply pile.
--
Whenever a Shapeshifter is played, play it as if were a copy of the card with the Shapeshifter token on it. The played Shapeshifter is that card until it leaves play. Then, its owner gets +$1, sets Shapeshifter aside, and moves the Shapeshifter token to an Action card in the Supply. Trash the set aside Shapeshifters at the end of the game.
--
(Rules clarification: The Shapeshifter token cannot be moved to an empty supply pile. If the copied supply pile runs out, Shapeshifter is still a copy of that card. The +$1, setting aside, and moving happens after the effects of the copied action.)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 13, 2012, 12:44:28 pm »
+1

...maybe I should stop entering.  Or enter crazier things. ;D

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 13, 2012, 12:47:11 pm »

By the way, the name "Mountain Pass" is meant to be evocative of several other cards.  "Mountain" relates to Quarry and Mining Village (price reduction, one-shot) while "Pass" makes it a means of travel, like Highway/Bridge (price reduction).

PenPen

• Thief
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 13, 2012, 12:49:02 pm »

Congrats eHalcyon!

I thought my idea (Investment/Alleyn) would be interesting enough. The wording probably got a bit convoluted and lost points as a result.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 13, 2012, 12:50:22 pm »

You lost my vote to the multiplayer issues, PenPen.  I care little for multiplayer, but multiplayer issues that large will lose my vote.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 13, 2012, 12:55:40 pm »
+1

.... EHalcyon wins again??? Bwah???????

This is getting silly impressive.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 13, 2012, 12:57:11 pm »

Some people brought up that the price reduction on Mountain Pass could be abused because it will stack with KC.  I didn't want to put up a big defense while it was still in voting, but I'll discuss it now.

Stackability was fully intended.  Since MP is one-shot, it is awkward to word it such that it doesn't stack.  Lacking +Buy and being one-shot actually hurts a lot while you are building your deck.  With Bridge, you can play it and build up your deck quickly.  You can't do that with MP -- if you use it, it disappears and you'll have to buy a new one.  To use MP effectively, you'll need to build an effective engine without it and  THEN bring it in for one big turn.  You can do the same with Bridge, except it needs less support (coming with its own +Buy) and it can help you during the ramp-up.

MP would be most used as support for a cool engine with +Buy, probably in a mega-turn strategy.  If there is cheap +Buy on the board (Market Square, Hamlet), it can also be a nice slingshot.  I thought it would be good for the set, which has plenty of expensive cards.  We still need +Buy though!

Polk5440

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 13, 2012, 12:57:45 pm »

eHalcyon is in tune with what fans want!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 13, 2012, 12:58:06 pm »

.... EHalcyon wins again??? Bwah???????

This is getting silly impressive.

I have to give major props to the contest itself for this.  I did really, really poorly in the first few I entered, but critiquing all those entries helped me improve my own game. :D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 21 queries.