Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: Mini-Set Design Contest, Challenge #13: One-Shot Card!  (Read 38787 times)

Schlippy

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
Re: Mini-Set Design Contest, Challenge #13: One-Shot Card!
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2012, 03:00:58 pm »

Disclaimer: One of these is mine.

Poirot
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Place this on top of any supply pile.
--
(Rules clarification: When this is on top of a pile, this must be bought before any cards underneath.)
While I appreciate the idea, I don't really like how this gums up games, considering the fact that it backfires sooner or later as the enemy you want to hinder with it gets this in his deck. Also being able to put this on top of Colonies or Provinces adds a lot of swingyness.

Holmes
$3 - Action
When you play [This Card], trash it.
Choose one: place any number of Treasure cards from your hand on your [This Card] mat; gain a Gold, placing it on your [This Card] mat; or place all cards on your [This Card] mat in your hand.
--
Setup: each player gets their own [This Card] mat if [This Card] is in play.  At the end of the game, return all cards on [This Card] mats to their owner's deck.
Looks fine. A one shot native Village that can gain you a Gold and can also be used to pseudo-trash Coppers early on. I don't really like that you have to buy it several times if you want to use it for anything else than pseudo-trashing. Might be quite weak for that matter.

Marlowe
$5 - Action
Put your deck into your discard pile. Search your discard pile, reveal up to two cards costing up to $6 from your discard pile or hand and trash them. For each trashed card, gain a card costing at most $1 more than the trashed card. Then trash this card.
--
(Rules clarification: You are not restricted to either your hand or discard pile. You may choose to trash a card from your hand and a card from your discard pile.)
One shot Remake that can search your complete deck. I like it. :)

Brown
$4 - Action-Victory
Trash this card. Gain a Victory card costing up to $6.
--
Worth 2 VP
Simple and interesting in a few Kingdoms, relatively bad in most Kingdoms. Also too bad the set has a lot of Victory cards already. :(

Hardy
$1 - Action
+$1
+1 Buy
Choose one: +2 Cards or +2 Actions.
Return this card to the supply.
I think this is too cheap. I mean you can simply buy it again every time you play it and it is like it never leaves your deck.

Marple
$3 - Action
+$2
Trash this.
Reveal any number of Victory cards from your hand. +$1 per Victory card revealed.
--
When you buy this, put your deck into your discard pile.
While this is better than a Silver in the greening phase it is really hurt by the forced reshuffle. At time where you want to have this in your deck you ideally want as little reshuffling as possible. On the other hand this helps getting it into your hand. The early game potential is certainly there, however it is really bad in games with Shelters. I am also relatively sure that getting a Silver instead of this helps you more early on.

Spade
$5 - Action
Trash this card. Gain a Gold on top of your deck. Each other player gains a Silver.
Maybe I am underestimating it, but I don't think this would be overpowered if other players gained nothing instead of the Silver.

Bobbsey
$2 - Action
Trash this. Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal an Estate. Trash the Estate. Discard the revealed cards.
Neat and simple. It wouldn't hurt if it said "Estate or Shelter". It's also quite weak compared to other cheap trashers.

Columbo
$3 - Action
Trash this card and gain a card costing up to $1 more than the cost of this card.
You may also trash a card from your hand in addition to this. If you do gain an additional copy of the card gained.
I like the concept of a one-shot Workshop with trashing for an additional card. I guess this is quite fun to play with cost-reduction cards in the Kingdom. I also like how the wording prevents you from things like getting two provinces with this when you have played 4 Bridges.

Dupin
$4 - Action
+$1
Trash this card. If you do, you may put your deck into your discard pile and trash up to four cards from it. After sorting through it, reshuffle your draw pile.
While it might look like this is less swingy than trashing from your hand, it is actually a lot more swingy than trashing from your hand.

Rockford
$4 - Action-Attack
Each other player reveals their hand and trashes half their treasure cards (rounded down). Put all treasure trashed in this way into your hand.
Trash this card. Put a tax token on top of a kingdom supply pile.
--
Kingdom cards cost $1 more per tax token on that pile.
This looks far too strong, even for an one-shot attack.

Magnum
$4 - Action
+2 Cards
Trash this and 3 other cards from your hand.
I am pretty sure this would do fine at a cost of $3.

Fletcher
$2 - Action
Trash this and another card from your hand.  All cards cost $2 less this turn, but not less than $0.
Quite good. Imho it should say 'if you do' so you only get the bonus once with KC/TR. But other than that, this feels like a solid card.

Chan
$2 - Action
Choose 1: +2 Cards or +2 Actions.
Trash this card. Move the [This Card] token to the top of a non-[This Card] Supply pile.
--
Cards from the Supply pile with the [This Card] token have no effect when played. At the beginning of each player's Buy phase, that player can discard from their hand any number of cards from that pile for +$1 each, +$2 each instead if they are Kingdom cards.
Feels like this favours BM-strategies over Engine-strategies big time when it is part of the Kingdom. I don't really like how it's done.

Wimsey
$2 - Treasure-Victory
Worth $2 and 0.5 VP.  When you play this, return it to the supply.
--
When you gain a Scout, you may gain two [This Card]s.
--
Setup: Add Scout as an extra Kingdom card.  There are 20 [This Card]s.
I really don't know what I should say about this. Sure, it makes Scout a lot better, But what is the point? I also don't really like how it enforces you to own Intrigue.

Carter
$1 - Action
+1 Action
--
If you gain this card during your turn, you may return it to the supply immediately. If you do, each other player gains a [This Card].
I have played a lot of testgames with self-trashing on-buy curses for a fan expansion and $1 is imho simply too cheap for it.

Queen
$5 - Action-Attack
Trash this. You may trash a card that is neither a Curse nor a Ruins from your hand; if you do, +1 VP. Each opponent may trash a card that is neither a Curse nor a Ruins from his hand. If he does, he gains a Curse in hand; otherwise, he discards his hand.
Trashing from other players hands is already on the borderline. Wiping out his turn if he doesn't is extremely frustrating. And if this attack is stacked it easily can whipe out your turn even if you trash in multiplayer games. I do understand that this is one-shot, but I still don't like it because of the frustration factor.

Tracy
$6 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
When you play this, trash it.  If you do, gain a Prize or a Gold.  You may put your deck in the discard pile.
--
You cannot buy this if you have any Copper in play.
I don't think this can be balanced in any way. Not being able to buy it with copper in play exaggerates the problem that this often massively favours the player who is already in the lead through a lucky draw. Some might argue that this is the case with Tournament, but I think the problem is much less severe with Tournament than with this card.

Campion
$3 - Action
+$1
At the start of Clean-up this turn, if the +$X gained from all Action cards in play is greater than the coins provided by Treasure cards in play, gain a Treasure card costing up to the sum of all +$X in play and coins provided by Treasures in play. Otherwise, gain an Action card costing up to the sum of all +$X in play and coins provided by Treasures in play.
--
When this is in play, instead of discarding it during Clean-up, trash it instead.
While I certainly like it, it feels far to complicated.

Vance
$P - Action-Plague
+1 Card
+1 Action
Gain a Curse.
The person to your left gains this card.
--
If you trash this card, discard a card.
When you buy this card, return it to the supply. Everyone else gains a copy.
This seem fine for the prize. Maybe it should be phrased differently, like "pass this to the person to your left", because of the weird interactions with Trader. It is also quite annoying regarding the turn order "problem" in multiplayer games.

Dover
$4 - Action-Attack
+$1
Choose one: +1 Card, +1 Action, each other player gains a Curse; or, +2 Cards, +1 Buy, each other player draws a card, then discards two.
--
When you gain or trash this, each other player gains a Copper.
I don't really like how this can wipe out turns. King's Court it once and every other player only has 2 cards in his hand.

Alleyn
$4 - Treasure
Worth $2
Trash this card. Gain a Silver, and the player to your right gains a Gold.
--
When you would gain this, the player to your left gains this card instead, and only that player can gain this card.
--
(Rules clarification: The player to the left cannot have the player to HIS left gain this card, he is the sole person gaining the card. Reactions to card gains apply in this situation however, e.g. Watchtower. When this card is played, the original buyer of this card will gain the Gold, and the "player to the left" gains the Silver.)
The wording is somewhat bogus. Does this prevent me from Ambassadoring this card if I have it or doesn't it? How are you supposed to keep track of the "original Buyer" if someone passes this via Masquerade. How do you know which Alleyn was originally gained by which player?
It would have been much simpler if it said something like "When you gain this, pass it to the player to your left", even if that removes the the interactions with reaction cards.

Shayne
$5 - Action
Trash this card. If you do, gain two action cards, the first to your hand, the second to the top of your deck. You cannot use this card to gain another copy of this card.
This might be a tad too strong with things like King's Court and Grand Market. Still, I like the concept and simplicity.

Hammer
$4 - Action
Trash this card. Gain a random card costing up to $2 more than this.
Is this just a one-shot self-remodel or are you really supposed to gain a random card costing $2 more?

Charles
$2 - Action
Trash this card.  Reveal your hand.  If there are no duplicate cards in it, gain a copy of each Action or Treasure you revealed this way.
This feels incredibly swingy without hand size reduction attacks in the Kingdom.

Wolfe
$2 - Treasure
Worth $1
When you play this, trash this together with any number of cards in play or from your hand costing $0.
--
When you gain this, you may play it immediately.
If I gain and play this outside of my turn, do I still get to keep the $1 for the buy phase of my next turn?
If no, why doesn't it simply has a price of $1 and is worth $0, because that would basically be the same thing unless you gain it via Remake/Upgrade/Governour.
Unless of course you gain it and do not play it immediately, but I don't really see any cases where I'd do that.

Beresford
$4 - Action
Choose one:
+2 Actions;
+$1, +1 Buy;
trash your hand.
--
When you gain this, set it aside; you may add it to your hand at the start of any of your future turns.
--
When you play this, return it to the supply.
I like it. Might be a tad to strong though.

Warshawski
$3 - Action
+$1
Trash this card.
--
When you trash this, choose one: trash up to three cards from your hand; or +3 Cards; or gain a Spoils.
Somewhat boring imho.

Withers
$3 - Action
+1 Action
Trash this card.
--
When you trash this card, set it aside. At the start of your next Buy phase, +1 Buy, +$3, and put this card in the trash.
--
(Rules clarifications: When you put this card in the trash after it was set aside, you are not trashing the card, so the "When you trash this card..." clause doesn't take effect.)
This might as well say "+1 Action, set this aside. at the start of your next buy phase: +1Buy, +$3, trash this". That would be a lot simpler and would save it from bogus interactions with eventual "when you trash a card" reactions.

Blackie
$3P - Action-Looter
Gain a Ruins to your hand.
Set this card aside. If you do, place a Ruins on it.
Return them to your deck at the end of the game.
--
When you play the first action of your turn, play it as if your set-aside Ruins' texts were added to the bottom of the card in the order you decide.
Do you put the Ruins from your hand on it or a Ruins from the supply?

Templar
$5 - Action-Victory
Trash this card. Take an extra turn after this one.
This can't cause you to take more than two consecutive turns.
--
Worth 2 VP
Oneshot outpost that nets you VP in case you didn't get to play it. Awesome idea, I guess this might work out well. I like it.

Temple
$3 - Action
Name a card. Look through your discard pile and trash all copies of the named card.
Trash this card.
This might be a tad too swingy. I still ike the idea and suppose it could use a cost increase together with a "put your deck into your discard pile" phrase.

Falcon
[This Card]
$6 - Action
+2 Cards
+2 Actions
+$2
Trash this. If you do, each other player with 5 or more cards in hand draws a card, then passes a card from his hand to you.
This feels like it might be incredibly strong with trashing in the Kingdom, and incredibily weak without trashing in the Kingdom.

Drew
$3 - Action-Attack
+2 Cards
You may trash up to two cards from your hand.  If you trash at least one card in this way, every other player gains a Curse.
This is basically a one-shot Witch with the bonus of trashing for $3. I think it is too cheap and too redundant.

Mason
$5 - Action
+1 Action.
Trash this card. If you do, reveal an Action card from your hand and choose one: +coins equal to the card's cost and +1 buy OR gain a copy of the card and play it immediately.
If you have two of these in your hand, you can end a pile in one turn. Play a Mason, revealing a Mason, choosing to gain and play a Mason, revealing a Mason, choosing to gain and play a Mason, revealing a Mason, choosing to gain and play a Mason, etc.. On top of that, you get X Actions for doing that. I dislike the card solely because of that. Note how official cards (like Farmland) are carefully designed to not allow such things.

Drummond
$4 - Action
+$1
--
Setup: At the start of the game, place the [This Card] token on the [This Card] supply pile.
--
Whenever a [This Card] is played, play it as if were a copy of the card with the [This Card] token on it. The played [This Card] is that card until it leaves play. Then, its owner gets +$1, sets [This Card] aside, and moves the [This Card] token to an Action card in the Supply. Trash the set aside [This Card]s at the end of the game.
--
(Rules clarification: The [This Card] token cannot be moved to an empty supply pile. If the copied supply pile runs out, [This Card] is still a copy of that card. The +$1, setting aside, and moving happens after the effects of the copied action.)
I don't understand the wording. If I get the +$1 when Drummond leaves play I can't do anything with it, as it is not my turn anymore.

Moto
$2 - Action
+2 Cards
Trash this and a card from your hand. Name a card. Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal the named card, and then trash it. Discard the other revealed cards.
Another oneshot Chapel variant that increases the search space. I like it more than the others because it is less swingy.

Bradley
$6* - Action
Trash this card and up to 4 cards from your hand. Gain 2 cards that together cost up to as much as the total cost in coins of all cards trashed this way (including this).
--
This costs $1 less for every copy of this card that is in the trash, but not less than $0.
--
(Special design considerations: This card is handled like a Prosperity card, so it increases the chances of playing with Platinum and Colonies if this is in the game.)
Sort of a one-shot Forge with added extra coins. If you play this as the first person and trash at least a Gold you can gain a Colony (as the worth of this card is $5 then because it is in the trash once) but unless you trash other things with costs higher than 0 have to take a Copper with that Colony. I like the price-reduction mechanic because of the balance between 'it is easier to pick up this card' and 'it is harder to pull of good turns with this card'. I also like how you can always at least get a Bradley when playing a Bradley. It somewhat looks like you can design strategies based on this card.

Monk
$2 - Action
Trash this. Trash a card from the supply that is not a Victory card.
+$1 per differently named card in the trash.
I don't like how this (probably) produces $11 (or even more) coins for the player with the last copy.

Silver
$6 - Action
You may choose an Action card from your hand. Play that card 4 times.
Trash this card as well as the card you chose.
2 of these (or one of these and a Throne Room) and 2 Bridges end a 2 Player game.
Seems somewhat easier to pull of than KC/Kc/Bridge/Bridge/Bridge, because of the price and the fact that you need one card less.

Quin
$5 - Action
Trash this card.
Gain up to 2 cards costing a total of 7. Put the cards on your deck.
And another one-shot Workshop/Feast variant. Imho the most interesting and balanced one, especially because you are not limited by the card types.

Lanyard
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
Trash this card.  Gain 2 Tokens on your [This Card] mat.
--
At the beginning of any turn, remove any number of tokens from your [This Card] mat.  +1 Action per token removed.
Good Village variant. I like it a lot.

[quoite]Spenser
$5 - Action
Trash this card. Choose one: Gain two cards costing up to $4 each; or gain three cards costing up to $3 each; or gain four cards costing up to $2 each.[/quote]
This one-shot Workshop variant is pretty neat too.

Morse
$P - Action
Choose one: +$3; or +$P.
Trash this card. If you do, choose one: put a [This Card] token on any pile without one on it; or remove a [This Card] token from any pile with one on it.
Cards in piles with [This Card] tokens cost $P less and $3 more if it has a Potion in its cost; otherwise, it costs $P more and $3 less (but not less than $0).
--
(Rules clarification: If no piles have a [This Card] token on it, you must put a token on a pile. Eligible piles for [This Card] tokens include Supply piles, non-Supply piles such as Madman, the Black Market deck, the trash, and players' decks. For tokens on players' decks, the effect extends to that player's hand, play area, and discard pile. Once a card is removed from a [This Card]ed pile, its cost reverts to normal until placed in another pile with a [This Card] token.)
I appreciate the idea, but I don't like it because of those relatively weird Remodel/Upgrade/Forge/ETC interactions with Potion and non-Potion cards.

Stone
$0 - Action-Victory
Return this to the supply.
Worth -1 VP
--
When there are at least two [This Card]s in the supply, when you buy a card, you may pay $1 less than its current cost. If you do, put into your discard pile two [This Card]s from the supply.
I think this would have been more interesting if you trashed the cards instead of returning them to the supply. I see very little reason to use the effect, especially because there is no way of circumventing it (with Watchtower or whatever) as it explicitly does not talk of gaining those Stones, but of putting them into my discard pile. :(
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 03:02:46 pm by Schlippy »
I do upload some Dominion videos on youtube now. :)

angrybirds

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2012, 05:59:18 pm »
+1

If peroit is placed on say the curse pile would it be gained instead of a curse when witch is played? The clarification only says bought but implies gained as well

Graystripe77

• Tactician
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2012, 06:10:55 pm »

If peroit is placed on say the curse pile would it be gained instead of a curse when witch is played? The clarification only says bought but implies gained as well

It doesn't say 'Gain a card from the curse pile', the cards instruct to gain a curse. It'd be skipped.

angrybirds

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2012, 06:15:04 pm »

It doesn't say 'Gain a card from the curse pile', the cards instruct to gain a curse. It'd be skipped.

then I would assume boarder village gains could skip peroit as well?

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2012, 10:28:38 pm »

Ugh... Graverobber really changes the balance of some of these. :/

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2012, 10:40:42 pm »

Spenser
$5 - Action
Trash this card. Choose one: Gain two cards costing up to $4 each; or gain three cards costing up to $3 each; or gain four cards costing up to $2 each.
I thought about this a little more. $5 trash gainers are crazy openings. This would make Fools Gold/ Spenser the strongest opening in the game by miles!

JFugue

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2012, 11:32:20 pm »

First off, hello everyone!  I've been lurking on the website for some time, but this contest finally convinced me to sign up and send in an idea.  So, fair warning, one of the below ideas is mine.

I will be slowly adding and editing to include all the cards.

Poirot
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
--
(Rules clarification: When this is on top of a pile, this must be bought before any cards underneath.)

Initial reaction: Neat!

Second reaction: Uh-oh!  I can easily imagine this leading to a massive slog, especially in the presence of multiple engine methods: each player tries to play as many Poirots in his deck on a given turn, while buying a Poirot from a stack critical to him, or grabbing cheap non-Poiroted stack to end the game on three stacks if he has the lead.

A variant I might be much happier with: to buy the top card of a stack you must pay +1$ for each Poirot on top of it; you then gain those Poirots.

Holmes
$3 - Action
Choose one: place any number of Treasure cards from your hand on your [This Card] mat; gain a Gold, placing it on your [This Card] mat; or place all cards on your [This Card] mat in your hand.
--
Setup: each player gets their own [This Card] mat if [This Card] is in play.  At the end of the game, return all cards on [This Card] mats to their owner's deck.

A treasure map variant with an interesting twist.  It seems like a good way to play it might be to stack up a bunch of gold, pull those into your hand, and then toss as many copper as possible back onto the mat.  However, Holmes does this very slowly, requiring several purchases and plays of just this card to get it rolling, and on top of that, Holmes trashes itself instead of returning to the supply.  Interesting concept, but it feels too slow.

Marlowe
$5 - Action
Put your deck into your discard pile. Search your discard pile, reveal up to two cards costing up to $6 from your discard pile or hand and trash them. For each trashed card, gain a card costing at most $1 more than the trashed card. Then trash this card.
--
(Rules clarification: You are not restricted to either your hand or discard pile. You may choose to trash a card from your hand and a card from your discard pile.)

This and a later card both make me a little leery.  They both toss your deck into your discard pile and search it for trashing, basically allowing you to freely pick to trash whatever is not already in your hand, and that feels off.  Most trashers have hands where you wouldn't want to use them for fear of trashing something bad; this card has that, but to such a greatly reduced extent that there's little strategy the choice of whether to play it or not.  Of the two, I prefer this one's effect. 

Brown
$4 - Action-Victory
--
Worth 2 VP

In most games, the only card this can gain is a Duchy, which feels narrower than Feast.  Maybe if the cost were reduced?

Hardy
$1 - Action
+$1
+1 Buy

The appearance of the +$1, +1 Buy seems to be that you can restock all the Hardys you used after playing them.  I feel like it would most frequently be bought/played as a +actions provider in an otherwise terminal-heavy kingdom.

Marple
$3 - Action
+$2
Trash this.
Reveal any number of Victory cards from your hand. +$1 per Victory card revealed.
--

I am very confused by this card.  Why Victory cards?  Why trash this?  Why put your deck into your discard pile on purchase?  The decks that would seem to get the most benefit from it (Gardens especially) are probably the same ones that don't want to be buying one-shot cards.

Spade
$5 - Action
Trash this card. Gain a Gold on top of your deck. Each other player gains a Silver.

Very weak.  I have to agree with Schlippy and others on this one: given the difficulty in gaining $6 over $5 in hand, it would not be wrongly priced if the "Each other player gains a Silver" were completely removed.  But then, it would be rather plain.

Bobbsey
$2 - Action
Trash this. Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal an Estate. Trash the Estate. Discard the revealed cards.

I like the idea of a $2 Estate trasher as a kind of consolation prize when you get a 5/2 split on sets with good 4/3 cost cards, or on later turns when you somehow only to end up with $2 in play.  It feels like it could do just a tiny bit more, like +2$ or maybe even just +1$, to make it better.

Columbo
$3 - Action
Trash this card and gain a card costing up to $1 more than the cost of this card.
You may also trash a card from your hand in addition to this. If you do gain an additional copy of the card gained.

Neat idea here, an Upgrade/Workshop mix.  This seems reasonably priced - even with the self-trashing - even if it is only used to turn a copper into two silvers.  That's a nice uptick in deck strength by itself.  The first time it is played in a game might be to turn copper/estates into more Columbos to quicken the pace of the upgrading.

Dupin
$4 - Action
+$1
Trash this card. If you do, you may put your deck into your discard pile and trash up to four cards from it. After sorting through it, reshuffle your draw pile.

Ah, this was the other card that worried me and much more so.  This annihilates Estates/Curses/Ruins/unwanted Coppers with such ease that there seems to hardly be any strategy involved in it.  I think the price would have to be raised a lot.  $6? I might buy this over Gold without much thought.  $7?  Might be balanced there.

(Also, why the last line?  We would reshuffle the draw pile anyways.)

Rockford
$4 - Action-Attack
Each other player reveals their hand and trashes half their treasure cards (rounded down). Put all treasure trashed in this way into your hand.
--

This can easily decimate an opponent's turn and - in multiplayer especially - give you enough money to buy a province without any effort.  Far, far too powerful.

Magnum
$4 - Action
+2 Cards

This an another card later have +cards followed by trashing, which lets them sift through your deck to find the cards you want to trash a little bit easier (without the problem, as in Dupin, of removing luck from the equation almost completely).  Especially given that this only draws 2 and forces you to trash 3 others, this seems weak at $4.

Fletcher
$2 - Action
Trash this and another card from your hand.  All cards cost $2 less this turn, but not less than $0.

Early game can help to knock out some Estates/Coppers while making cards a tiny bit easier to buy (not much better than a terminal silver in that regard).  Late game applications seem a bit dangerous given the forced trashing of another card; it needs to be drawn with junk to be at its best. 

Odd turn possibility: Grand Market then Kings Court with Fletcher.  It'll trash the rest of your hand, but gives you an instant two provinces (or another province and a Fletcher if you want to repeat the process).

More to come later!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 11:53:46 pm by JFugue »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2012, 12:50:02 am »

Disclaimer on earlier reviews -- one of them was mine.

OAM's point about Marple was something I missed.  It basically guarantees $6 in the next reshuffle.  That makes it quite comparable to Vault.  For $3, that might mean Marple is too strong.  I am not sure.

OAM also makes a good point about how Spade is largely outclassed by Governor, though topdecking Gold is nice.  Nonetheless, one-shot makes it quite weak.

Schlippy makes a good point about cards that specifically mention Estate.  Depending on what it does, such a card can become useless in a Shelters game.  Baron at least still provides +Buy and will gain an Estate for you, but Bobbsey basically does nothing.  I suppose it just becomes a one-shot Chancellor without the +$2... but that's basically nothing, eh? ;)

I just realized that I misread Queen.  I thought it forced the trashing of EITHER a Curse or a Ruin.  But it actually says NEITHER.  Whoops!  Um, this makes it better.  Might be OK for a one-shot attack... but probably not.  Pillage doesn't stack.  This does, and it will work with KC.

Haha, Schlippy makes a good point about Alleyn and Ambassador.  As it is intended, I think what would happen is that you return it to the Supply and then everyone except for the player to your left gains it.  That is, you would gain it too.  Hilarious.

Holy smokes, just realized that the wording on Wolfe means that you could potential trash opponent's cards IN PLAY.  Say opponent plays Ambassador, hitting some random $4 card.  You choose to gain a Wolfe... and play it immediately... and now you can trash any number of cards in play.  It doesn't specify whose cards.  Your opponents cards are in play.  Hilarious.

Schlippy brings up a good point about the ambiguity on Blackie.  I assumed you would use the Ruins from your hand.  I think the perma-Duration effect is still too strong, either way.

Nice catch on Mason by Schlippy.  Rats can immediately end a pile too, though it's harder to set up.

I think people are overrating Rockford.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 12:52:53 am by eHalcyon »

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2012, 07:00:31 am »

Holy smokes, just realized that the wording on Wolfe means that you could potential trash opponent's cards IN PLAY.  Say opponent plays Ambassador, hitting some random $4 card.  You choose to gain a Wolfe... and play it immediately... and now you can trash any number of cards in play.  It doesn't specify whose cards.  Your opponents cards are in play.  Hilarious.

At first I was wondering what the heck you are talking about, but I think you have a good point with some major typos. I think you mean "Saboteur", not "Ambassador", and since Wolfe costs $2 it would have to hit a card costing $5. But, then yes, you could gain it on someone else's turn, and as worded could trash their in-play cards. I'm guessing if this won, we would change the text to something like "trash this together with any number of your cards in play..."

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2012, 09:11:02 am »
+1

I think you mean "Saboteur", not "Ambassador", and since Wolfe costs $2 it would have to hit a card costing $5.

? Saboteur lets you replace with cards costing up to $2 less.

Schneau

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2012, 09:45:38 am »

I think you mean "Saboteur", not "Ambassador", and since Wolfe costs $2 it would have to hit a card costing $5.

? Saboteur lets you replace with cards costing up to $2 less.

Wow, brain fart. Anyway, he did mean Saboteur, not Ambassador.

Schneau

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2012, 10:18:54 am »

I'm about to post my reviews, but I noticed that I think Morse is way broken, and wanted to put a separate post for those who don't read through the detailed reviews. Here's what I have to say about it:

Quote from: Schneau
Why the heck would you make this work on any pile? I could maybe see any supply pile, but any pile is just wacko. In fact, I was starting to like the card until the rules clarification. Even if it were only supply piles, there is a major problem where someone who was able to get one of these and play it on the Potion stack before anyone else had a Potion could ruin the game, since at that point they would be the only one able to buy Potions and Morses - they could then put Morse tokens on all the Victory cards, making it so that only they could buy them! Insanity! So, every game you would be forced to open Potion to avoid this scenario. Anyway, this card MAY be ok (and may be interesting) if it can only be played on Kingdom cards, but is broken otherwise.

So anyway, I actually like the general idea, but as worded (and rules-clarified) it is definitely broken and I would recommend against voting for it. But, the author should fix it up - it could actually be a fine card, especially with other Potions cards.

Schneau

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2012, 10:21:25 am »

Lots of crazy rules and possibly broken cards here. It's a hard category, so I don't really blame anyone. I made some comments below to the effect of, "oh, you have to own Expansion X to play with this card", which I now realize is probably fine most of the time, since you need Potions for other cards in the set anyway.

A major pet peeve of mine is on many of these cards - cards that return to the supply instead of being trashed when played. Most of the time, the only thing this does is make it so that pile can never run out, which IMHO, is BAD NEWS. If you notice, almost none of the official cards can return themselves or other cards to the supply (Ambassador is the only one I can think of). This fundamentally changes the game - games don't move toward an end when you're buying cards you can return. Maybe there's a mechanic-specific reason to return them to the supply, but not on most of the cards I've seen here. So, unless you have a good reason, don't do it! Just trash it instead, it will make the card much more appealing!

I have a different pet peeve that appears on a bunch of these cards, which is the text "that costs $x more than this card" (or with "less" instead of "more"). If your card costs $4 and x=1, why not just say "that costs up to $5." This wording is simpler and easier and they are almost always the same. Only use this phrasing if absolutely necessary, which is usually not true.

Anyway, done with the grouchy ramblings, on with the card discussions.

Poirot
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
--

I sort of like this - it is a mini-Embargo that must be gained before other cards can be. It definitely needs more consideration for the rules - for starters, the rules clarification should probably say "gained" rather than "bought". Additionally, what happens if you gain some card that empties a third pile, and then put this on top of it - is the game over? How about if you gain the last Province by Governoring a Gold into it, and then play this on the Province pile - is the game over then? It seems sort of weird if the answer is "no", but maybe it is.

Holmes
$3 - Action
--

I think one of the main uses of this card would be to get Coppers out of your deck early, possibly to be brought back for a mega turn later. It feels weird having a one-shot card that has this effect, since you are forced to buy multiples to get any use. I think this card will usually be ignored - buying and playing 2 terminal $3 self-trashers will rarely be worthwhile for getting a Gold or saving other Treasures for later.

Marlowe
$5 - Action
--

I don't know if this is strong enough to be a one-shot $5. It is like a Remake that can Remake from outside of your hand, but is "at most $1 more" and not "exactly $1 more". This might actually make the card worse, since you can't freely trash Coppers with it. Granted, not having to trash from your hand is nice, since it doesn't reduce your handsize. But, I don't think the advantage of upgrading non-hand cards makes up for the disadvantages of "at most" and being one-shot, especially to make this cost $5.

Brown
$4 - Action-Victory
--
Worth 2 VP

Most of the time this will be a cheaper, gimped Duchy that you have to play to get the 3 VP. I'm guessing it's balanced, and I enjoy the simplicity, though it's bordering on boring. I'd normally probably vote for this, but I think this set already has enough Victory cards. (Though, I'm sure this would interact nicely with some of them...).

Hardy
$1 - Action
+$1
+1 Buy

I'm not a big fan of $1 cards nor supply piles that can't run out. That said, this card is probably pretty strong for a $1 one-shot. Basically, it will make it so you can buy one of these every time you play it. With any other +Buys on the board, there is no real reason not to pick one of these up with any extra buys you have. I think it's dangerous to have +Buys on a $1 card, even if it is a one-shot; there aren't even that many at $2 for the same reason.

Marple
$3 - Action
+$2
Trash this.
--

This is probably too weak. Even having the same card that didn't trash itself, it would probably be mostly balanced, though maybe too strong for $3. This will usually at best give you +$4, which is pretty low for a one-shot $3.

Spade
$5 - Action

This seems a lot like a Feast for Golds. I think giving the other players a Silver is a little too much of a nerf here. Compare to Governor, which can do it many times among other things.

Bobbsey
$2 - Action

Hmm, an Estate trasher only. This is probably WAY weak, and would rarely get any use - probably only on boards with Treasure-only trashers AND with tons of +Actions AND other great engine parts.

Columbo
$3 - Action

First of all, why does this say "up to $1 more than the cost of this card" instead of "up to $4"? 99% of the time these are the same, and in the edge cases where you've played Highways or Bridges (or are actually playing a Band of Misfits), why not reward it? I've seen this wording on a few other cards recently, and unless there's a good reason, it really annoys me. That said, this card is probably fine, and would be nice to open with in low-cost engines.

Dupin
$4 - Action
+$1

1. You won't have a draw pile if you have just discarded it. 2. It's referred to as your deck, not your draw pile. 3. This card is wicked strong. Like, probably one of the best $4 cards. Definitely too strong. And the self-trashing might actually help here, since it then doesn't clog you further.

Rockford
$4 - Action-Attack
--

A one-shot Thief that will often just net you a bunch of Coppers in your hand? Not a fan. The tax token idea itself is fine and interesting (and something that I have thought of before, as I'm sure others have as well). But, not a fan of it attached to the rest of this card.

Magnum
$4 - Action
+2 Cards

Probably a super strong opener, and never bought after that. Like Chapel. Except it must trash 3 cards. I want to like it, and it may be ok (though a very strong opener), but there can only be one Chapel.

Fletcher
$2 - Action

A one-shot super-Bridge without +Buy? I actually sort of like it! It would be difficult to pull off a mega turn with these, since they require trashing of another card. You'd need 4, plus some +Buys, plus lots of +Actions and +Cards, to get multiple Provinces. So, I don't think it's too strong for mega turns. As an opener, it is probably decent for trashing Estates and getting something for it, though unless you have +Buy with it it is just +$2 and trash a card. I like it!

Chan
$2 - Action
Trash this card. Move the [This Card] token to the top of a non-[This Card] Supply pile.
--
Cards from the Supply pile with the [This Card] token have no effect when played. At the beginning of each player's Buy phase, that player can discard from their hand any number of cards from that pile for +$1 each, +$2 each instead if they are Kingdom cards.

It took me a while to grok this card, but I think I like it! It basically makes the supply pile with the token into a Silver, or a Copper if it is a non-Kingdom card. This could make weak (or no longer usable) cards stronger, or strong cards weaker. It would probably be good to have a rules clarification that this can be on top of an empty supply pile, but I see no problem there. Nice!

Wimsey
$2 - Treasure-Victory
--
--

Umm what. What is this. I'm sure it's a joke, but I'll review it seriously because why not?

We've never seen a 0.5VP card before - I don't see any technical reason not to, so why not? This pile won't likely ever run out, with there being 20 of these that are returned when played. It's very weak for a $2 one-shot treasure, but the when-gain-Scout clause adds a bit of strength. Overall I'd say it's too weak, but maybe you could get enough of these to make Scout better?

Carter
$1 - Action
+1 Action
--
If you gain this card during your turn, you may return it to the supply immediately. If you do, each other player gains a [This Card].

I guess this is sort of what some people thought Curses did, except with a different card? I don't like how close it is to giving away a one-shot Ruined Village. I don't like the $1 price point - too easy to spam these or buy them with unused extra buys. Maybe this could work at $2 or $3, but I'm not sure.

Queen
$5 - Action-Attack
Trash this. You may trash a card that is neither a Curse nor a Ruins from your hand; if you do, +1 VP. Each opponent may trash a card that is neither a Curse nor a Ruins from his hand. If he does, he gains a Curse in hand; otherwise, he discards his hand.

Whoa there, that's some powerful one-shot Attackage! Though actually, it will usually be a weak card, since it may even help opponents through its trashing. This may get crazy in 4+ player games, since you usually don't have too many cards to trash. So, this has FBI, where it's way powerful if your opponent doesn't want to trash any cards from their hand (5 Provinces?), but is weak otherwise.

Tracy
$6 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
When you play this, trash it.  If you do, gain a Prize or a Gold.  You may put your deck in the discard pile.
--

A new prize-getter. Why not? It's price point is equivalent to Grand Market. Essentially, it's a delayed Prize or Gold. If you get a Gold, you might as well have gotten it in the first place. So, is $6 with no Copper a good price for a delayed Prize? I'm guessing probably not. Maybe Followers, maybe Trusty Steed, but I don't know. People have said in the past that more Prizes would be nice, and I agree, especially with this card! Anyway, probably not worthwhile. (Plus, requires you to own Cornucopia (or fake it)).

Campion
$3 - Action
+$1
At the start of Clean-up this turn, if the +$X gained from all Action cards in play is greater than the coins provided by Treasure cards in play, gain a Treasure card costing up to the sum of all +$X in play and coins provided by Treasures in play. Otherwise, gain an Action card costing up to the sum of all +$X in play and coins provided by Treasures in play.
--
When this is in play, instead of discarding it during Clean-up, trash it instead.

I think I get it? Basically, you get a Treasure costing your total money if you've played more Treasure, and an Action if you've played more Action money. I have to say, this could never fit on a card nicely, and could definitely use a shorter wording. Plus, I'm a bit meh about it anyway.

Vance
$P - Action-Plague
+1 Card
+1 Action
Gain a Curse.
--

Another buy-is-attack-with-this-card. Thing is, it's almost never worth playing - you get a curse, and one opponent gets this pseudo-curse. Not a fan.

Dover
$4 - Action-Attack
+$1
Choose one: +1 Card, +1 Action, each other player gains a Curse; or, +2 Cards, +1 Buy, each other player draws a card, then discards two.
--

Why return this to the supply? Why not trash it? I see no reason, besides to have a pile that will rarely be empty. The choose your own Attack is somewhat interesting, but maybe too strong. Other players gaining Copper when you gain is also too strong.

Alleyn
$4 - Treasure
Worth $2
--
When you would gain this, the player to your left gains this card instead, and only that player can gain this card.
--
(Rules clarification: The player to the left cannot have the player to HIS left gain this card, he is the sole person gaining the card. Reactions to card gains apply in this situation however, e.g. Watchtower. When this card is played, the original buyer of this card will gain the Gold, and the "player to the left" gains the Silver.)

Besides the non-obvious rules clarification, I really don't like how strong this is for the player to your left in 3+ player games. Basically a Silver, when other players don't get anything. I don't think this will usually be worth buying, especially at $4 - it's at best a way-delayed Gold that your left opponent gets a Silver for.

Shayne
$5 - Action
Trash this card. If you do, gain two action cards, the first to your hand, the second to the top of your deck. You cannot use this card to gain another copy of this card.

Hmmm, any two Action cards? I guess it's probably ok, though CRAZY strong with cards like King's Court and Goons and Grand Market. Without other good Actions, it's not worth getting, but with them it's pretty strong. I guess it's probably fine, but not a huge fan.

Hammer
$4 - Action

I don't know how this works. Both rules-wise and physically. I could see mixing together the randomizers somehow to decide. But, does this mean you could gain a Curse from this? Can you gain a card not in the game? Plus, why not just say "up to $6"? Anyway, this card has rules issues and in my interpretation is probably super-weak.

Charles
$2 - Action
Trash this card.  Reveal your hand.  If there are no duplicate cards in it, gain a copy of each Action or Treasure you revealed this way.

I guess you just wouldn't play the card if you have duplicates, right? I sort of like it! I could see it being way strong - what if you can draw your deck, which has been trashed down to no-duplicates, and then play this to basically double your deck? Definitely seems worrying, but at the same time I like the simplicity and the idea.

Wolfe
$2 - Treasure
Worth $1
When you play this, trash this together with any number of cards in play or from your hand costing $0.
--

So, you can trash Coppers, Curses, and Ruins from hand or play, and can play this immediately when you gain it? It may be a bit strong of an opener, since you can get a good buy while trashing stuff. Still, it's probably not too OP, but may be. I dunno? It doesn't make me excited.

Beresford
$4 - Action
Choose one:
+2 Actions;
+$1, +1 Buy;
trash your hand.
--
When you gain this, set it aside; you may add it to your hand at the start of any of your future turns.
--

I'm sort of dubious about a card that can be set asside when you buy it. Again, I also don't know why this is returned to the supply - games gotta end folks. Also, the actual actions it can perform are pretty weak, besides trashing your hand in some situations. A crappy Herbalist / Native Village / Chapel that you can choose to add to your hand at the beginning of your turn? Not a fan.

Warshawski
$3 - Action
+$1
Trash this card.
--
When you trash this, choose one: trash up to three cards from your hand; or +3 Cards; or gain a Spoils.

I like the idea of trashing the card giving the bonuses, not playing the card. That way, you can do some crazy shenanigans with trash for benefits, or can just self-trash. All the options seem pretty balanced. I'm a bit wary that it could be a really strong trashing opener; also wary that it requires you to own Dark Ages. But, I like it!

Withers
$3 - Action
+1 Action
Trash this card.
--
When you trash this card, set it aside. At the start of your next Buy phase, +1 Buy, +$3, and put this card in the trash.
--
(Rules clarifications: When you put this card in the trash after it was set aside, you are not trashing the card, so the "When you trash this card..." clause doesn't take effect.)

Same thing for this card as Warshawski about liking the bonuses on-trash. It's a little convoluted about putting the card in the trash instead of trashing it, but I guess that's what you have to do to get the money and buy if it is trashed on another player's turn. Most of the time, this will just be +1 Action, +1 Buy, +$3, which is in some ways close to an Action version of Spoils.

Blackie
$3P - Action-Looter
--
When you play the first action of your turn, play it as if your set-aside Ruins' texts were added to the bottom of the card in the order you decide.

This should probably also be type Duration. I've never been a fan of permanent durations, and this is no exception. I have to give props for the interesting use of Ruins, but this is probably too strong at almost every price point. Also, you'll have to own Alchemy and Dark Ages to play it.

Templar
$5 - Action-Victory
--
Worth 2 VP

Two consecutive turns, even one-shot, is hugely huge. I'm guessing much more than a $5 price point. Add on 2 VP if you don't get to use it and this card is OP.

Temple
$3 - Action
Name a card. Look through your discard pile and trash all copies of the named card.
Trash this card.

I think this, like many of the other "trash lots of cards" submissions here, has major fancy balance issues (FBI). You hit this in the first hand of your first shuffle? SOL. Your opponent gets his in his second hand of that reshuffle, with 3 Estates in his discard? You lose. Basically, it seems like a hard to balance and fancy Chapel, and as we said before, we only need one Chapel.

Falcon
[This Card]
$6 - Action
+2 Cards
+2 Actions
+$2
Trash this. If you do, each other player with 5 or more cards in hand draws a card, then passes a card from his hand to you.

Why does it say "[This Card]" - is that a rinkworks typo? This should definitely be an Attack card. Masquerade isn't Attack because it would cause weird things with the passing; this card doesn't have that issue. This is very strong, but is maybe fine for a $6 one-shot. Thing is, if everyone is trashed down, this is probably OP, and if not, then it's sort of meh since you get a bunch of junk. Anyway, these FBIs probably make it hard to balance, but on first look I don't see any fundamental flaws.

Drew
$3 - Action-Attack
+2 Cards
You may trash up to two cards from your hand.  If you trash at least one card in this way, every other player gains a Curse.

Why return to the supply instead of trash? See my comment up top. Anyway, this card is probably way too strong, even for a one-shot. It combines drawing, trashing, and Cursing all in one package? Yeah, I'm totally buying 2 of these as an opener ANY time it's on the board, which means it's way OP.

Mason
$5 - Action
+1 Action.
Trash this card. If you do, reveal an Action card from your hand and choose one: +coins equal to the card's cost and +1 buy OR gain a copy of the card and play it immediately.

First of all, I'm not quite sure what the "play it immediately" refers to - is that the card you just gained, or the card you revealed? I think it's the gained card, but this should be clarified, especially to avoid blue dog issues. As for the rest of the card: If you take the first option (with a higher-priced card), you are basically taking money from when you bought Mason and applying it to this turn instead. If you reveal a cheap card, you're a chump. If you take the second option, you are basically trading Mason for a copy of a card in your hand and playing that card immediately, so it's a lot like if you had just bought the other card in the first place (unless that card costs more than $5). But, you have to line up those cards. Of course, you also get +1 Action. Anyway, I think this card has two options that are actually weaker than they look, but it gives you options, which is nice. Of course, you can run out the Mason pile with 2 of these, but I'm not too worried about that - you could always put on a "reveal a non-Mason Action card" clause. Anyway, it's probably fine, but less strong than it appears.

Drummond
$4 - Action
+$1
--
Setup: At the start of the game, place the [This Card] token on the [This Card] supply pile.
--
Whenever a [This Card] is played, play it as if were a copy of the card with the [This Card] token on it. The played [This Card] is that card until it leaves play. Then, its owner gets +$1, sets [This Card] aside, and moves the [This Card] token to an Action card in the Supply. Trash the set aside [This Card]s at the end of the game.
--
(Rules clarification: The [This Card] token cannot be moved to an empty supply pile. If the copied supply pile runs out, [This Card] is still a copy of that card. The +$1, setting aside, and moving happens after the effects of the copied action.)

This has waaaaaay too many confusing rules issues and possible other issues. I'm not even going to go into it.

Moto
$2 - Action
+2 Cards
Trash this and a card from your hand. Name a card. Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal the named card, and then trash it. Discard the other revealed cards.

This is a lot like a weaker Drew without the cursing. This card is probably ok as a one-shot trasher, though it's pretty strong. I have to say, I'm not really a fan of these one-shot trashers in general - they leave me with a bad taste in my mouth. This is probably often pretty weak (trash 2 Estates or later Curses or Coppers). I'm guessing it's ok, but I'm not a fan.

Bradley
$6* - Action
Trash this card and up to 4 cards from your hand. Gain 2 cards that together cost up to as much as the total cost in coins of all cards trashed this way (including this).
--
This costs $1 less for every copy of this card that is in the trash, but not less than $0.
--
(Special design considerations: This card is handled like a Prosperity card, so it increases the chances of playing with Platinum and Colonies if this is in the game.)

Umm, I don't think you can just say "this card is in Prosperity!" Other than that, sort of meh? The whole thing feels weird. The first time one of these is played, does it contribute $5 or $6 to it's own play? I'm guessing $5, since it's already in the trash. Since it costs a ton, it's not going to be good for early trashing. Later, you are likely to trash this and 4 cheap cards to get 2 mediocre or 1 good and one Copper. Too weird.

Monk
$2 - Action

Most of the time I'm not a fan of trashing cards from the supply, but this one has reasons to do so. The problem is, in trash-friendly games, these will quickly produce TONS of money. Like, too much. So, it might be decently balanced and interesting at $4 (or maybe $3), but I don't think it will work at $2.

Silver
$6 - Action

Ummm, wat. I don't see any way of balancing this correctly without major playtesting. Too many FBI.

Quin
$5 - Action
Trash this card.

I like the general idea here. I'm afraid it might not be that great most of the time, but be solid (probably not OP) other times. Since it sounds like the total has to be exactly 7, this usually rules out gaining Gold. So, you'll have to get 5/2 or 4/3, and rarely 7 or 6/1. It would be fun if there are good engine parts at these levels, but otherwise dull. I think I'd be more of a fan if it said "Gain exactly 2 cards costing up to a total of $7". That way, you could gain Gold and Copper, or two $3 cards, etc. It would larely be the same, but would probably be a little less situational. Anyway, I sort of like it!

Lanyard
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
--
At the beginning of any turn, remove any number of tokens from your [This Card] mat.  +1 Action per token removed.

So, free Villages on any turn you want? You basically get 3 Village uses out of this, but 2 are whenever you like. It's probably fine, but maybe too strong at $4 and should cost $5.

Spenser
$5 - Action
Trash this card. Choose one: Gain two cards costing up to $4 each; or gain three cards costing up to $3 each; or gain four cards costing up to $2 each.

This is pretty crazy strong on boards with really good stackable $2s (Fool's Gold, Squire, etc.). Also, it can give you 3 Silvers, which is also pretty strong. Anyway, probably is fine, but will be super-combo-tastic in certain games. Though, it doesn't get me excited, and it also makes me a bit worried about FBI.

Morse
$P - Action
Trash this card. If you do, choose one: put a [This Card] token on any pile without one on it; or remove a [This Card] token from any pile with one on it.
Cards in piles with [This Card] tokens cost $P less and $3 more if it has a Potion in its cost; otherwise, it costs $P more and $3 less (but not less than $0).
--
(Rules clarification: If no piles have a [This Card] token on it, you must put a token on a pile. Eligible piles for [This Card] tokens include Supply piles, non-Supply piles such as Madman, the Black Market deck, the trash, and players' decks. For tokens on players' decks, the effect extends to that player's hand, play area, and discard pile. Once a card is removed from a [This Card]ed pile, its cost reverts to normal until placed in another pile with a [This Card] token.)

What the crazy. Why the heck would you make this work on any pile? I could maybe see any supply pile, but any pile is just wacko. In fact, I was starting to like the card until the rules clarification. Even if it were only supply piles, there is a major problem where someone who was able to get one of these and play it on the Potion stack before anyone else had a Potion could ruin the game, since at that point they would be the only one able to buy Potions and Morses - they could then put Morse tokens on all the Victory cards, making it so that only they could buy them! Insanity! So, every game you would be forced to open Potion to avoid this scenario. Anyway, this card MAY be ok (and may be interesting) if it can only be played on Kingdom cards, but is broken otherwise.

Stone
$0 - Action-Victory
Worth -1 VP
--
When there are at least two [This Card]s in the supply, when you buy a card, you may pay $1 less than its current cost. If you do, put into your discard pile two [This Card]s from the supply.

Ugg, negative VP? Isn't that a Curse by another name (which is just as not sweet)? Also, just sort of weird. Pass.

nopawnsintended

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +186
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2012, 11:48:53 am »

Short on time, so I'm commenting selectively.

Poirot
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
--

I like the idea of targeted obstruction, but I think this needs to be less invasive.  I have played with a similar-minded fan card that has features that I like better than this one.  This seems like it would either sit on games and not let them proceed, or never be used because the investment is too great.  I can't tell what would happen without playing with it.
Brown
$4 - Action-Victory
--
Worth 2 VP

Simple.  I like simple.  This is Feast-like for Duchies and Dukes and Fairgrounds, oh my.  Seems worthy. I know how other people feel about adding more victory types, but I like victory dual type cards.  There need to be more to make Scout stand up to its potential.

Marple
$3 - Action
+$2
Trash this.
--

A pile of cash for a pile of green.  Feels expensive to me, especially given that you can only play it once.

Spade
$5 - Action

I don't think it needs the Silver externality.  Maybe get rid of "on top of your deck.  Each other player gains a Silver" and then I'm sold.

Bobbsey
$2 - Action

An Estate hunter.  Interesting idea, but I like Estates.

Columbo
$3 - Action

mini-Feast meets Talisman... sorta.  Not sure if I like it.

Rockford
$4 - Action-Attack
--

Seems strong, but I guess a one-shot Thief-Cutpurse attack needs to be.

Wimsey
$2 - Treasure-Victory
--
--

I love it.  Draw into hand with Scout.  Gain a couple when you buy a Scout.  Guarantee that Scout is in the kingdom.  It is even an Estate replacement in the late game, and it opens the possibility of winning by half a point.  I can see why people think this is a joke (it's about making Scout better, after all), but even so, it seems like a fun way to make Scout better.

Queen
$5 - Action-Attack

"otherwise, he discards his hand."  Not a fan of this.  I suppose you need something devastating for a one-shot attack, but ouch.

Tracy
$6 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
--

Another prize gaining card at the same price as Grand Market.  That's quite a price to pay for a Prize.  Then, if you lose the race to the Prizes, you can get a Gold as a consolation.  I like it!

Dover
$4 - Action-Attack
+$1
--

Seems like a lot of stuff going on... not sure where I'd start with this one.

Alleyn
$4 - Treasure
Worth $2
--
--

Odd.  Lots of stuff going on with this one.  I'm not sure I'd ever want to play this card.  Maybe need to have gain the Silver in hand with the +$2... I'm not sure.  I'd love to Salvage this for +$4, or upgrade it into a $5 cost card.... or just trash it... yeah, that would be fun.

Hammer
$4 - Action

Not a fan of deliberate randomness.  Maybe other people are.  Also, I don't see how this would pay off in expectation --> Copper, Curse, Estate, Duchy, Silver, [This Card] and Gold are all guaranteed to be gainable.  I don't know the distribution of card costs, but suppose that half are $4 or less.  Then, you get a lottery were you're more likely than not to gain a card costing 0 to 4, otherwise, you gain a card costing 5 or 6.  Not strong at all... I'd much rather have Feast.

Charles
$2 - Action

Sort of interesting.  Menagerie for gaining cards... works for a one shot, I think.

Wolfe
$2 - Treasure
Worth $1
--

Seems useful.  Won't trash Estates like Chapel will, but it doesn't have the opportunity cost of not being able to use the coppers early to buy better stuff while still trashing.  I like it!

Warshawski
$3 - Action
+$1
Trash this card.
--

I like the options on this.  I'd love to see how it plays.
Templar
$5 - Action-Victory
--
Worth 2 VP

A one-shot and better Outpost.  On balance, I like it.  I'm not sure it needs the 2 VP.... makes it seem more expensive to play it.

Drew
$3 - Action-Attack
+2 Cards

A mild reusable curser.  As much as I don't like Cursers, this one seems kind of cool to me.

Moto
$2 - Action
+2 Cards

A directed trasher.  Seems OK.

Monk
$2 - Action

Weird.  A supply card trasher with some reason to trash diversity.  The fact that this is one-shot makes game acceleration less of an issue.  I'd like to try this one out.

Silver
$6 - Action

I would like this one better if it were

Silver
$3 - Treasure
Worth $2

But, then it wouldn't fit the one-shot category. :)

Quin
$5 - Action
Trash this card.

Cool idea.  Do you go $7/$0 or $3/$4, or somewhere in between?  Would be fun to try.

Spenser
$5 - Action

Wow.  I can gain 4 Estates!  Where do I sign up? :)  Not sure how I feel about this one.

Morse
$P - Action
--

Honestly, my brain is getting tired, and that's a lot of text.  Potion cost + lots of words + bulky rules clarification... and I'm not really interested in that kind of complexity.
Stone
$0 - Action-Victory
Worth -1 VP
--

Fun idea.  If you get $5/$2, you could open with a Gold, two of these, and Chapel (if it is on the board).  These Stones aren't curses (but they're Victory type), so they'll interact with Silk Road, Scout(!!!!), and Crossroads.  Plus, the card is a semi-clogger.  This seems like a reasonable price to pay to get an optional cost reduction of $1 when you want it.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 12:06:37 pm by nopawnsintended »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2012, 12:16:59 pm »

At first I was wondering what the heck you are talking about, but I think you have a good point with some major typos. I think you mean "Saboteur", not "Ambassador", and since Wolfe costs $2 it would have to hit a card costing $5. But, then yes, you could gain it on someone else's turn, and as worded could trash their in-play cards. I'm guessing if this won, we would change the text to something like "trash this together with any number of your cards in play..."

Oops, yes, I meant Sab.

I think people are not "getting" Hardy.  It actually isn't advisable to pick up a bunch of these without a plan.  It is never a cantrip, so they don't harmlessly fit into just any deck.

People are underestimating Marple (I did too).  As OAM pointed out, early game this almost guarantees $6.  Note that it provides +$2 on its own.  If the rest of your hand is Copper/Estate (very likely in the early game), that was a one-shot Vault for $3.  That's pretty strong, I think.

@Schneau

I think you read Campion incorrectly.  You get an Action if you used more Treasure and you get a Treasure if you used more virtual coin.

Vance is usually worth playing.  If it's a dead card either way, might as well bring your opponent down with you.  If you play it, it isn't dead -- it's a cantrip.  The Curse you gain is easier to trash since Vance has a trashing penalty.

Shayne actually isn't THAT crazy.  It can't gain itself and it won't activate multiple times with KC.  Giving you KC-GM on top is pretty scary though.  So it is kinda crazy. :P

On Charles, if you manage to remove all duplicates from your deck and still draw it, I think you deserve the deck doubling.  That scenario is not easy or fast enough to accomplish that it is game breaking.

I think Wolfe is totally OP.  Compare with Loan and Mint's on-gain.

Really, really good point about Morse.  I didn't think of that possibility before.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2012, 12:32:56 pm »
+1

I think Shayne is way too good. Even if it both the cards it gained just went to your discard, it would still be absolutely crazy on certain boards. 2 King's Courts (delayed 1 shuffle) for $5? Or Goons? Grand Markets? I would even buy this over Governor or Minion every time just to get 2 for the price of 1. And then with the in-hand / on-deck ability, that's just nuts. On any board with action "X", it's just about strictly better than X in functionality, since you can get X on top of your deck (only delayed 1 turn, if that).
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 12:34:15 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2012, 12:52:24 pm »
+1

I think Shayne is way too good. Even if it both the cards it gained just went to your discard, it would still be absolutely crazy on certain boards. 2 King's Courts (delayed 1 shuffle) for $5? Or Goons? Grand Markets? I would even buy this over Governor or Minion every time just to get 2 for the price of 1. And then with the in-hand / on-deck ability, that's just nuts. On any board with action "X", it's just about strictly better than X in functionality, since you can get X on top of your deck (only delayed 1 turn, if that).

Hm, OK.  Shayne is crazy.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2012, 01:12:34 pm »

I'm curious whether Shayne is inspired by a similar card in the Dominion clone, Puzzle Strike.

If so, it's a rather poor port, in Puzzle strike, you have to skip your whole action phase to play it, and every deck is an engine deck, and it costs 6 (there's a guaranteed 9 cost available, but no topdecking the gains..)

Schneau

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2012, 01:34:23 pm »

Hm, OK.  Shayne is crazy.

Also: Play Shayne, gain 2 Border Villages and 2 Shaynes, rinse and repeat. Even crazier if you have a Watchtower in hand. Basically, this card is OP with certain cards, and probably boring with most others.

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2012, 03:43:56 pm »

Drummond
$4 - Action
+$1
--
--
--

Some timing issues:  "The played [This Card] is that card until it leaves play. Then [many things]."  The "Then" implies that the [many things] don't happen until it leaves play.  +$1 is meaningless at that point.  It's also unclear why you would set them aside instead of just trashing them outright.

The author tells me (s)he botched the rules clarification.  I agreed to post a corrected clarification and leave it up to voters to determine how to take it into account.  The corrected clarification should read:

Whenever a Drummond is played, play it as if were a copy of the card with the Drummond token on it. Then, its owner gets +$1, sets Drummond aside, and moves the Drummond token to an Action card in the Supply. The played Drummond is the copied card until it leaves play.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 04:14:33 pm by rinkworks »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2012, 03:50:08 pm »

@rinkworks you might want to replace the name of the card with "Drummond" in that rules clarification.

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2012, 04:14:40 pm »

@rinkworks you might want to replace the name of the card with "Drummond" in that rules clarification.

Oops.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 06, 2012, 05:17:32 pm »

Appears I've submited too late :(

JFugue

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 07, 2012, 01:31:11 am »

Continuing onward.  (Again, disclaimer that one of the cards is mine)

Chan
$2 - Action
--

This has some fun effects: It can be played on a victory card you know you have lots of to turn them into coppers.  (Better still, drop it on Curses!)  But it also has some not so fun effects: It can be played on Golds, and in a kingdom without good money from actions, that could drastically slow down the speed of the game.

The fact that this trashes itself makes me a little leery: it means that whoever plays the last Chan has final control over where the token lands for the rest of the game.  Although unlikely that all 10 copies of this card would be played, if it came to that point, all players might hold on to one last copy of Chan, not wanting to play it so they could save it for last.  Buying a card just to hold onto it for brinksmanship's sake seems like unfun gameplay.

Wimsey
$2 - Treasure-Victory
--
--

I was half-tempted to make a one-shot silver (Worth $0 or $1) as my card for this contest.

As it is, I don't like that it gives .5 VP.  That just feels awkward.  If I can get over my feelings about it requiring a specific extra kingdom card, this doesn't seem so bad otherwise.

Carter
$1 - Action
+1 Action
--

I can see this card really bringing the pace of a 2-player game down with an easy source of +buy.  (Hamlet?) The optimal play seems to be to get rid of all of them that you have, then buy as many as you can to toss them back to your opponent, a kind of mini-ambassador.  (If you get too many in hand, then you likely won't have the buys needed and your opponent could refill your deck with even more next time.) 

I think it's a reasonable card, especially in the early game, but in order to prevent it from dragging down the mid-game, it might need to trash itself.

Queen
$5 - Action-Attack

This feels swingy, not quite as swingy as the "trash the top card of your deck" example that comes up, but possibly not far off.  Discarding an entire hand is brutal, regardless of whether the attack is one-shot or not, so this feels like a forced trashing of a card in each opponent's hand.

Tracy
$6 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
--

Fairly short and simple.  I like the return of Prizes and the Grand Market style mechanic.

Campion
$3 - Action
+$1
--

As others have mentioned, this feels overly complex and perhaps self-defeating, as it gives treasures to engine decks and actions to BM decks.

Vance
$P - Action-Plague
+1 Card
+1 Action
Gain a Curse.
--

Another "instead of buying, ambassador it to all other players" card, which then becomes a self-harming hot potato.  This seems like a card for spiteful players, and the fact that it punishes you even for trying to trash it just adds more spite to it.

Dover
$4 - Action-Attack
+$1
--

I am confused as to why this is a one-shot card.   The option to choose between two attacks (with alternate personal bonuses) does not seem one-shot worthy so much as it seems high-cost worthy.

Alleyn
$4 - Treasure
Worth $2
--
--

This seems to be a one-shot card only quite sneakily: as far as the player on the left is concerned, barring special circumstances, this is just a silver.  It does however suffer a bit from influencing the player on your left too much and them having too much influence on you, to the exclusion of the other players at the table.  It's an interesting idea, I'm just not sure this is the right implementation.

Shayne
$5 - Action

Potentially very crazy in the presence of $7 actions or Potion cost actions.  It seems a little imbalanced in that one can just keep grabbing Shaynes and tossing them on top of your deck, so the player who picked up Shayne first will have a potentially strong advantage.

Hammer
$4 - Action

Buy a $4 card, trash it, have a chance to gain a copper or curse?  No thanks.

Charles
$2 - Action

This seems incredibly powerful in combination with Warehouse, Secret Chamber, or Vault to guarantee its primary action takes effect.  Even without gaining victory cards, it still seems like it could grab a gold and several powerful $5 actions with relative ease.

Wolfe
$2 - Treasure
Worth $1
--

I worry the "play when gained" effect will generate a lot of rules-headache questions.  And, like some of the other cards above, this seems a little too effective at getting rid of unwanted Coppers/Curses.  Mid-game, one could conceivably draw a large hand, get most of your deck's coppers into it, play them all for their money, trash them with a purchase of Wolfe (along with any curses or ruins that might be lingering), and still have enough left over to purchase a strong card.  It doesn't feel horribly overpowered, but still feels too strong. 

Beresford
$4 - Action
Choose one:
+2 Actions;
+$1, +1 Buy;
trash your hand.
--
--

This card confuses me somewhat.  I could see the benefit of a one-shot action splitter that you add to your hand when you need it; a kind of insurance when your strong terminals collide without another village present.  I can likewise see the benefit of the "Trash your hand" clause.  But why +$1, +1 Buy?  Just for the +buy when needed?

Seems reasonable.  Not too showy.  My main concern is that in attempting to do too much it prevents itself from doing one thing well.

Warshawski
$3 - Action
+$1
Trash this card.
--

A curious set of choices: Improve the quality of your deck, improve the quality of your current hand, or improve the quality of one later hand.  Seems decent.

Withers
$3 - Action
+1 Action
Trash this card.
--
--

This card appears to be twisting itself to meet the requirements of this challenge.  Otherwise, not a bad card though.

Blackie
$3P - Action-Looter
--

An interesting idea to tie in with the Alchemy action-heavy theme.  It might even be balanced since it only effects the first action you play on your turn.  Would it still be balanced if one were to remove all references to Ruins and instead just declare that it should give +1 card or +1 action etc. to the first action played?

Although Blackie does set itself aside like Island, since it still impacts your future turns, it seems an odd man out in this challenge.

Templar
$5 - Action-Victory
--
Worth 2 VP

The victory part seems tacked on.  Otherwise, seems fairly reasonable to me.

Temple
$3 - Action
Trash this card.

From a balance perspective, it seems a more balanced "targeted deck trasher" than some of the other cards suggested here.  One has to draw it with certain cards already in the discard pile in order for it to be effective.  Without any cards in your discard pile, there's no point to play this whatsoever.

Falcon
[This Card]
$6 - Action
+2 Cards
+2 Actions
+$2

A quirky masquerade variant?  Not sure what the presence of extra cards and money is supposed to do here.  The actions makes sense: gives you a chance to play the actions you may gain from other player's hand.  I suspect, most of the time, playing this will earn you a lot of junk; might be a good card to play on your last turn, just to pinch away a last few coins or grab some Estates.  Otherwise, I am not sure that I would buy it.

Drew
$3 - Action-Attack
+2 Cards

In contrast, this one seems to be a straight-forward ambassador variant.  Slightly more flexibility in getting rid of cards, more painful junk given to the opponent, plus drawing to make it more likely you have the cards you want to get rid of in hand.  I agree with what another commenter said that it seems one would want to purchase two of these at the start of the game, but I am not sure that's bad.  Double-ambassador is a fairly strong opening, but in order for Drew to be as punishing to an opponent's deck, you'd have to keep buying it on each turn (and not do anything else).  Perhaps under-priced?

Mason
$5 - Action
+1 Action.

The first option seems wonky. It is only particularly strong if you trash a high-cost card, but in general you don't want to do that (Witch/Sea Hag after the curses run out may be an exception).  The latter effect seems better, but would the card played immediately consume an action?  If not, then it acts like a neat Throne Room variant; if so, then it seems to be a odd Workshop variant.

Drummond
$4 - Action
+$1
--
--
--

Overall a little too complicated, also too slow.  It takes two plays of Drummond to turn it into a card you really want, but at that point, it seems like you would have been better served building up your deck and just buying the card outright.

Moto
$2 - Action
+2 Cards

Seems just a little too powerful for $2.  Again, as targeted discards go, this might not be that bad. 

Bradley
$6* - Action
--
--

Neat cost reduction mechanic.  Seems perhaps a little expensive.  Yes, it works like Forge and even has some benefits to it that Forge does not, but since it is a one-shot card, it feels like it needs to be priced lower in order to be viable.

Monk
$2 - Action

Trashing from the supply?  Interesting, but again, slow.  You have to have played several of these in order to make them strong enough to be worth the one-shot nature of them.  Might gain a lot of strength in a kingdom with Workshop.

Silver
$6 - Action

4 times!  Yeah, that seems strong enough that I don't know if this is balanced even with the one-shot nature of it.  This plus any cursers will drain the Curse pile without a problem. 

Quin
$5 - Action
Trash this card.

Why not just "Gain a card costing up to $7"? Most of the time, I would wager, that's how it would be used

Lanyard
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
--

This feels much too powerful as is.  If the 2 tokens were dropped to 1 and the cost upped to $5, I think this would be better balanced. 

Spenser
$5 - Action

In many kingdoms, this would just be used to nab 3 Silvers.  Is that worth the cost of this card?

Morse
$P - Action
--

The rules clarification only makes things murkier.  I think it would work much better if it just affected supply piles.  But then, it's an interesting effect.  Without a consistent way of getting potions into your hand, though, I am not sure it would be very effective.

Stone
$0 - Action-Victory
Worth -1 VP
--

Short, simple, neat.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 10:00:12 pm by JFugue »

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2012, 04:27:40 pm »
+1

You know rinkworks, I thought I had a great system for finding people's comments on specific cards: show all comments then search for the card name. But with card names like Silver and Chan, that is not working out so well this time.  :(
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 20 queries.