Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: Mini-Set Design Contest, Challenge #13: One-Shot Card!  (Read 38831 times)

nopawnsintended

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +186
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Mini-Set Design Contest, Challenge #13: One-Shot Card!
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2012, 10:52:42 am »

Could the card be a "permanent" Duration? E.g. "Now and at the beginning of each turn, X"?

Could the card trash/return/set-aside itself on gain/buy rather than on play?

This seems to fit the letter, but not the spirit of the competition.

Token Trashme
$20 - Action

Trash this and place a Token Trashme token to your Token Trashme mat.  if there are any tokens on your Token Trashme mat at the beginning of your turn, +1 Card, +1 Action, +$8, +1 Buy, +1 VP.

Has the feel of a permanent duration, but it trashes itself when played.

Darthcaboose

• Swindler
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2012, 12:26:33 pm »
+1

Hey rinkworks,

I tried sending you my suggestion by private message, but I'm not 100% sure if it came through. Any chance you could let me know if you got it (also, I just signed up for the Dominion forums after months of lurking, yay!)?

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2012, 01:14:22 pm »

I realize it isn't allowed by the strict guidelines, but a card that gifts itself to another player feels like it fits the spirit of the criteria, even if it could potentially come back to you. Just something I came across while brainstorming for this one.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2012, 04:00:35 pm »

I've bowed out of submitting to the competition after my first entry won, so I won't be submitting. However, I think it's funny that only one card in my one-shot themed expansion actually qualifies for this contest. That's not a criticism of the challenge, just an observation. Making one-shots is hard! Good luck to the contenders.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2129
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2012, 04:04:38 pm »

I've bowed out of submitting to the competition after my first entry won, so I won't be submitting. However, I think it's funny that only one card in my one-shot themed expansion actually qualifies for this contest. That's not a criticism of the challenge, just an observation. Making one-shots is hard! Good luck to the contenders.

Link to that expansion?

You should enter your card if you think it's the best for the greater good of the set. There should be no shame in designing good cards.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2012, 04:07:22 pm »

I will keep on submitting because it is fun... and if I happy to win again, umm. :P

I like my entry for one-shot.  And I came up with an idea for self-synergy in the end, but the wording is pretty bad.  The card name is the best part of it. :P

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2012, 04:14:51 pm »

Link to that expansion?

Dominion: Enterprise

I need to rework it now that Dark Ages out. At minimum, I need to rename Mercenary.

You should enter your card if you think it's the best for the greater good of the set. There should be no shame in designing good cards.

Well, the true one-shot in the set, Boycott, is the card that's gotten the least playtesting of the lot. Also, I'd rather not have a card I design be in two expansions.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2129
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2012, 04:21:45 pm »
+4

Loophole Lighthouse:
+$1
Return this to the supply.
Place a loophole token on your loophole mat
---
While you have a loophole token on your mat, attacks don't affect you
At the start of your turn, remove your loophole tokens from the mat. For each loophole token your remove, +$1 and a gain a Loophole Lighthouse.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 04:23:43 pm by NoMoreFun »

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2012, 05:51:08 pm »

Hey rinkworks,

I tried sending you my suggestion by private message, but I'm not 100% sure if it came through. Any chance you could let me know if you got it (also, I just signed up for the Dominion forums after months of lurking, yay!)?

I got it.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 05:52:41 pm by rinkworks »

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2012, 09:53:17 am »

I have a surprising number of good seeming ideas for this contest. I wish I could submit two cards! Part of the issue is that a more complex card may be the better card, but might not be as favorable to the voters. I'll have to make up my mind soon!

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2012, 01:08:26 pm »
+1

I have a surprising number of good seeming ideas for this contest. I wish I could submit two cards! Part of the issue is that a more complex card may be the better card, but might not be as favorable to the voters. I'll have to make up my mind soon!
This is something I have been bitching about.  Possession or Goons could never win this contest.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2012, 01:19:54 pm »
+2

This is something I have been bitching about.  Possession or Goons could never win this contest.

Goons isn't any more complex than Crystal Ball or Pawn Shop.  That said, with 40+ entries per week, judging something this ten lines of text and a support card is... going to be a tough sell.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2012, 02:53:47 pm »
+3

Although I regret that we won't get wild, game-changing cards in this format, that's probably a good thing given the format.  You can't just make up Possession or Knights on the spot, submit it to a contest, have people think about it for a couple minutes, vote for it, have it win, and expect to have a playable, non-broken card in the end.  It's hard enough trying to balance fairly simple, uncontroversial cards.  I think that's a workable goal, though, and certainly a rewarding one.

Which is not to say that creating a radical card wouldn't also be a rewarding goal.  I just don't think this contest is a conducive format for it (although for what it's worth, I think somewhat radical cards are getting more scrutiny and consideration from this contest than they have as one-off forum posts, which is a good thing).

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2012, 02:57:15 pm »

I'm going to be out-of-town on Monday, which is a holiday here in the U.S., so results won't be posted until Tuesday or possibly Wednesday.  I'll continue to accept entries right up until when I post the results.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2012, 08:33:44 pm »

I'm going to be out-of-town on Monday, which is a holiday here in the U.S., so results won't be posted until Tuesday or possibly Wednesday.  I'll continue to accept entries right up until when I post the results.

I hadn't noticed the "possibly Wednesday" phrasing.  I have been antsy. :P

DWetzel

• Conspirator
  • The Human Edge Case
  • Respect: +272
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2012, 09:43:20 pm »

I hadn't noticed the "possibly Wednesday" phrasing.  I have been antsy. :P

psychfistbumpmontage.gif

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2012, 08:25:48 am »

Here is the ballot for Challenge #13!

--

Voting Rules:

Each person may cast votes as follows:  For each Challenge, you may fill your ballot out in one of two ways:

(1) Award 3 points to one entry.  Award 1 point to any number of other entries.
(2) Award 2 points to each of two entries.  Award 1 point to any number of other entries.

Submit your votes via PM to me by Thursday, September 13, 2012, 10am EDT in the following format:

Challenge 1

3 CardName
1 AnotherCardName
1 StillAnotherCardName
1 AnotherCardNameGoesHereToo

Challenge 2

2 CardName
2 AnotherCardName
1 StillAnotherCardName

Please use the above format!  One card per line, with the number of votes given before it, and no extra punctuation or anything.  This will make it easy for me to copy-and-paste your votes into the format my vote-counting script needs it to be in.

Do not submit votes for your own cards.  (If you do, my script will catch you anyway.)

By submitting vote(s) for a challenge, you will automatically earn 1 point for your entry in that challenge.  This is to incentivize contestants to submit votes.  (My script does this automatically, so don't worry that I'll forget to do this.)

Note that the supplied card names are for discussion/identification only -- they are not the card names that were submitted to me.  The proper card names will be revealed when the results are announced.  Whenever card text says "[This Card]" it means the submitted text says the card's own name there.

Inclusion on the ballot means that the card was deemed eligible for the contest.  You therefore do not need to consider eligibility when voting.  In some cases, this may mean a pretty loose interpretation of the eligibility requirements.  I tried to be fair but also forgiving when a submission came in that twisted the rules in a way I hadn't foreseen.

As a voter, you may use whatever criteria you wish in determining what your votes will be.  Be as forgiving or particular as you like concerning conformance to standard Dominion terminology.   For all winning cards, there will be a chance to tweak the wording as a community, if necessary, before they are canonized.

--

Poirot
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Place this on top of any supply pile.
--
(Rules clarification: When this is on top of a pile, this must be bought before any cards underneath.)

Holmes
$3 - Action
When you play [This Card], trash it.
Choose one: place any number of Treasure cards from your hand on your [This Card] mat; gain a Gold, placing it on your [This Card] mat; or place all cards on your [This Card] mat in your hand.
--
Setup: each player gets their own [This Card] mat if [This Card] is in play.  At the end of the game, return all cards on [This Card] mats to their owner's deck.

Marlowe
$5 - Action
Put your deck into your discard pile. Search your discard pile, reveal up to two cards costing up to $6 from your discard pile or hand and trash them. For each trashed card, gain a card costing at most $1 more than the trashed card. Then trash this card.
--
(Rules clarification: You are not restricted to either your hand or discard pile. You may choose to trash a card from your hand and a card from your discard pile.)

Brown
$4 - Action-Victory
Trash this card. Gain a Victory card costing up to $6.
--
Worth 2 VP

Hardy
$1 - Action
+$1
+1 Buy
Choose one: +2 Cards or +2 Actions.
Return this card to the supply.

Marple
$3 - Action
+$2
Trash this.
Reveal any number of Victory cards from your hand. +$1 per Victory card revealed.
--
When you buy this, put your deck into your discard pile.

Spade
$5 - Action
Trash this card. Gain a Gold on top of your deck. Each other player gains a Silver.

Bobbsey
$2 - Action
Trash this. Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal an Estate. Trash the Estate. Discard the revealed cards.

Columbo
$3 - Action
Trash this card and gain a card costing up to $1 more than the cost of this card.
You may also trash a card from your hand in addition to this. If you do gain an additional copy of the card gained.

Dupin
$4 - Action
+$1
Trash this card. If you do, you may put your deck into your discard pile and trash up to four cards from it. After sorting through it, reshuffle your draw pile.

Rockford
$4 - Action-Attack
Each other player reveals their hand and trashes half their treasure cards (rounded down). Put all treasure trashed in this way into your hand.
Trash this card. Put a tax token on top of a kingdom supply pile.
--
Kingdom cards cost $1 more per tax token on that pile.

Magnum
$4 - Action
+2 Cards
Trash this and 3 other cards from your hand.

Fletcher
$2 - Action
Trash this and another card from your hand.  All cards cost $2 less this turn, but not less than $0.

Chan
$2 - Action
Choose 1: +2 Cards or +2 Actions.
Trash this card. Move the [This Card] token to the top of a non-[This Card] Supply pile.
--
Cards from the Supply pile with the [This Card] token have no effect when played. At the beginning of each player's Buy phase, that player can discard from their hand any number of cards from that pile for +$1 each, +$2 each instead if they are Kingdom cards.

Wimsey
$2 - Treasure-Victory
Worth $2 and 0.5 VP.  When you play this, return it to the supply.
--
When you gain a Scout, you may gain two [This Card]s.
--
Setup: Add Scout as an extra Kingdom card.  There are 20 [This Card]s.

Carter
$1 - Action
+1 Action
--
If you gain this card during your turn, you may return it to the supply immediately. If you do, each other player gains a [This Card].

Queen
$5 - Action-Attack
Trash this. You may trash a card that is neither a Curse nor a Ruins from your hand; if you do, +1 VP. Each opponent may trash a card that is neither a Curse nor a Ruins from his hand. If he does, he gains a Curse in hand; otherwise, he discards his hand.

Tracy
$6 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
When you play this, trash it.  If you do, gain a Prize or a Gold.  You may put your deck in the discard pile.
--
You cannot buy this if you have any Copper in play.

Campion
$3 - Action
+$1
At the start of Clean-up this turn, if the +$X gained from all Action cards in play is greater than the coins provided by Treasure cards in play, gain a Treasure card costing up to the sum of all +$X in play and coins provided by Treasures in play. Otherwise, gain an Action card costing up to the sum of all +$X in play and coins provided by Treasures in play.
--
When this is in play, instead of discarding it during Clean-up, trash it instead.

Vance
$P - Action-Plague
+1 Card
+1 Action
Gain a Curse.
The person to your left gains this card.
--
If you trash this card, discard a card.
When you buy this card, return it to the supply. Everyone else gains a copy.

Dover
$4 - Action-Attack
+$1
Choose one: +1 Card, +1 Action, each other player gains a Curse; or, +2 Cards, +1 Buy, each other player draws a card, then discards two.
--
When you gain or trash this, each other player gains a Copper.

Alleyn
$4 - Treasure
Worth $2
Trash this card. Gain a Silver, and the player to your right gains a Gold.
--
When you would gain this, the player to your left gains this card instead, and only that player can gain this card.
--
(Rules clarification: The player to the left cannot have the player to HIS left gain this card, he is the sole person gaining the card. Reactions to card gains apply in this situation however, e.g. Watchtower. When this card is played, the original buyer of this card will gain the Gold, and the "player to the left" gains the Silver.)

Shayne
$5 - Action
Trash this card. If you do, gain two action cards, the first to your hand, the second to the top of your deck. You cannot use this card to gain another copy of this card.

Hammer
$4 - Action
Trash this card. Gain a random card costing up to $2 more than this.

Charles
$2 - Action
Trash this card.  Reveal your hand.  If there are no duplicate cards in it, gain a copy of each Action or Treasure you revealed this way.

Wolfe
$2 - Treasure
Worth $1
When you play this, trash this together with any number of cards in play or from your hand costing $0.
--
When you gain this, you may play it immediately.

Beresford
$4 - Action
Choose one:
+2 Actions;
+$1, +1 Buy;
trash your hand.
--
When you gain this, set it aside; you may add it to your hand at the start of any of your future turns.
--
When you play this, return it to the supply.

Warshawski
$3 - Action
+$1
Trash this card.
--
When you trash this, choose one: trash up to three cards from your hand; or +3 Cards; or gain a Spoils.

Withers
$3 - Action
+1 Action
Trash this card.
--
When you trash this card, set it aside. At the start of your next Buy phase, +1 Buy, +$3, and put this card in the trash.
--
(Rules clarifications: When you put this card in the trash after it was set aside, you are not trashing the card, so the "When you trash this card..." clause doesn't take effect.)

Blackie
$3P - Action-Looter
Gain a Ruins to your hand.
Set this card aside. If you do, place a Ruins on it.
Return them to your deck at the end of the game.
--
When you play the first action of your turn, play it as if your set-aside Ruins' texts were added to the bottom of the card in the order you decide.

Templar
$5 - Action-Victory
Trash this card. Take an extra turn after this one.
This can't cause you to take more than two consecutive turns.
--
Worth 2 VP

Temple
$3 - Action
Name a card. Look through your discard pile and trash all copies of the named card.
Trash this card.

Falcon
$6 - Action
+2 Cards
+2 Actions
+$2
Trash this. If you do, each other player with 5 or more cards in hand draws a card, then passes a card from his hand to you.

Drew
$3 - Action-Attack
+2 Cards
You may trash up to two cards from your hand.  If you trash at least one card in this way, every other player gains a Curse.

Mason
$5 - Action
+1 Action.
Trash this card. If you do, reveal an Action card from your hand and choose one: +coins equal to the card's cost and +1 buy OR gain a copy of the card and play it immediately.

Drummond
$4 - Action
+$1
--
Setup: At the start of the game, place the [This Card] token on the [This Card] supply pile.
--
Whenever a [This Card] is played, play it as if were a copy of the card with the [This Card] token on it. The played [This Card] is that card until it leaves play. Then, its owner gets +$1, sets [This Card] aside, and moves the [This Card] token to an Action card in the Supply. Trash the set aside [This Card]s at the end of the game.
--
(Rules clarification: The [This Card] token cannot be moved to an empty supply pile. If the copied supply pile runs out, [This Card] is still a copy of that card. The +$1, setting aside, and moving happens after the effects of the copied action.)

Moto
$2 - Action
+2 Cards
Trash this and a card from your hand. Name a card. Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal the named card, and then trash it. Discard the other revealed cards.

Bradley
$6* - Action
Trash this card and up to 4 cards from your hand. Gain 2 cards that together cost up to as much as the total cost in coins of all cards trashed this way (including this).
--
This costs $1 less for every copy of this card that is in the trash, but not less than $0.
--
(Special design considerations: This card is handled like a Prosperity card, so it increases the chances of playing with Platinum and Colonies if this is in the game.)

Monk
$2 - Action
Trash this. Trash a card from the supply that is not a Victory card.
+$1 per differently named card in the trash.

Silver
$6 - Action
You may choose an Action card from your hand. Play that card 4 times.
Trash this card as well as the card you chose.

Quin
$5 - Action
Trash this card.
Gain up to 2 cards costing a total of 7. Put the cards on your deck.

Lanyard
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
Trash this card.  Gain 2 Tokens on your [This Card] mat.
--
At the beginning of any turn, remove any number of tokens from your [This Card] mat.  +1 Action per token removed.

Spenser
$5 - Action
Trash this card. Choose one: Gain two cards costing up to $4 each; or gain three cards costing up to $3 each; or gain four cards costing up to $2 each.

Morse
$P - Action
Choose one: +$3; or +$P.
Trash this card. If you do, choose one: put a [This Card] token on any pile without one on it; or remove a [This Card] token from any pile with one on it.
Cards in piles with [This Card] tokens cost $P less and $3 more if it has a Potion in its cost; otherwise, it costs $P more and $3 less (but not less than $0).
--
(Rules clarification: If no piles have a [This Card] token on it, you must put a token on a pile. Eligible piles for [This Card] tokens include Supply piles, non-Supply piles such as Madman, the Black Market deck, the trash, and players' decks. For tokens on players' decks, the effect extends to that player's hand, play area, and discard pile. Once a card is removed from a [This Card]ed pile, its cost reverts to normal until placed in another pile with a [This Card] token.)

Stone
$0 - Action-Victory
Worth -1 VP
--
When there are at least two [This Card]s in the supply, when you buy a card, you may pay $1 less than its current cost. If you do, put into your discard pile two [This Card]s from the supply.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 01:02:59 pm by rinkworks »

WheresMyElephant

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2012, 08:55:19 am »

Can Poirot go on top of an empty pile to delay a 3-pile ending or sabotage Cities?

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2012, 09:07:26 am »

Can Poirot go on top of an empty pile to delay a 3-pile ending or sabotage Cities?
I think so.

An empty pile is still a pile, right?

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2012, 11:44:07 am »

Hopefully no-one confuses the card Silver with the actual card Silver.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2012, 11:54:53 am »

Until the nigh-inevitable rinkworks name change, I think we should refer to that as "Contest Silver".

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2012, 12:24:46 pm »

What's important is recognizing that this Silver is strictly superior to the regular Silver.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 01:02:09 pm by Kirian »
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2012, 01:19:45 pm »

Just noticed I screwed up the wording on my card. Oh well. Should make commentary easier. :P

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2012, 01:35:41 pm »

LETS DO THIS! Read from the bottom:

Poirot
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
--
(Rules clarification: When this is on top of a pile, this must be bought before any cards underneath.)
I like the card (in another form posted somewhere), but I don't like that this can block Province. I think it needs to be limited to non-victory piles (Not kingdom piles, as I initially thought; I like it being able to stop Gold (BM Money)). I would also like it if it moved a Poirot from the Supply onto the card and trashed itself, that way the game can "resume" eventually.
Holmes
$3 - Action
Choose one: place any number of Treasure cards from your hand on your [This Card] mat; gain a Gold, placing it on your [This Card] mat; or place all cards on your [This Card] mat in your hand.
--
Setup: each player gets their own [This Card] mat if [This Card] is in play.  At the end of the game, return all cards on [This Card] mats to their owner's deck.
This is either a one-time treasure only trasher or a Gold gainer that requires 2 plays to work, then disappears. Neither are interesting to me.
Marlowe
$5 - Action
Put your deck into your discard pile. Search your discard pile, reveal up to two cards costing up to $6 from your discard pile or hand and trash them. For each trashed card, gain a card costing at most $1 more than the trashed card. Then trash this card.
--
(Rules clarification: You are not restricted to either your hand or discard pile. You may choose to trash a card from your hand and a card from your discard pile.)
The $6 clause is only to prevent King's Court hijinx. How about: "Trash this card. Put your deck into your discard pile. Discard any number of cards from your hand. Search your discard pile for up to 2 cards and trash them. For each trashed card, gain a card costing up to $1 more than the trashed card."
Brown
$4 - Action-Victory
--
Worth 2 VP
Use up an action once during greening to gain a Duchy? Seems a little dull to me.
Hardy
$1 - Action
+$1
+1 Buy
A Squire that returns itself to the supply. It is too easy just to pick up a load of these every turn with extra +buys.
Marple
$3 - Action
+$2
Trash this.
Reveal any number of Victory cards from your hand. +$1 per Victory card revealed.
--
The parts of this card don't seem connected. If you have this, coppers, and Victory cards, this provides you with exactly $6 for that turn. People might chancellor themself when they don't need to, creating unnecessary shuffling.
Spade
$5 - Action
Trash this card. Gain a Gold on top of your deck. Each other player gains a Silver.
I looked at this card and saw a bad Governor at the same price.
Bobbsey
$2 - Action
Trash this. Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal an Estate. Trash the Estate. Discard the revealed cards.
This seems simple and cute. Compared to Chapel, this is very weak, trashing 2 estates (3, but the chapel sticks around) instead of 1.
Columbo
$3 - Action
Trash this card and gain a card costing up to $1 more than the cost of this card.
You may also trash a card from your hand in addition to this. If you do gain an additional copy of the card gained.
I think that this should just say "gain a card costing up to $4". Columbo covers too much of Carpenter's design space. Columbo Copper Copper Copper Estate give you two 4 costs, one 3 cost, and trashes an estate. That seems quite strong.
Dupin
$4 - Action
+$1
Trash this card. If you do, you may put your deck into your discard pile and trash up to four cards from it. After sorting through it, reshuffle your draw pile.
I think the reshuffle clause isn't "clean", though I see that it prevents you from being able to get the newly bought card on your next turn. I don't like the swinginess. If you have your estates in hand, this is much weaker than if they are in your deck. If you have Coppers in hand, you get to use them to buy a $5 this turn and remove all Estates and a copper from your deck.
Rockford
$4 - Action-Attack
Each other player reveals their hand and trashes half their treasure cards (rounded down). Put all treasure trashed in this way into your hand.
--
In a 4 player game, turn 3, this often trashes 6 copper and gains it for you (that doesn't seem too game breaking). In 4 player, if 2 people play this when you have 1 copper and 1 gold in your hand, this seems really rough, considering you have no coin! There has got to be a better way to use the Tax mechanic.
Magnum
$4 - Action
+2 Cards
Seems like you can get lucky and trash 3 estates or unlucky and only trash 1. I don't like the swinginess. Probably fine.

Fletcher
$2 - Action
Trash this and another card from your hand.  All cards cost $2 less this turn, but not less than $0.
This is trash a card +$2, so like a one-time use Trade Route. Late game, this could be a megaturn card, particularly as one of this card makes all other ones free. I like how this doesn't need +buy to be playable. Seems okay.
Chan
$2 - Action
Trash this card. Move the [This Card] token to the top of a non-[This Card] Supply pile.
--
Cards from the Supply pile with the [This Card] token have no effect when played. At the beginning of each player's Buy phase, that player can discard from their hand any number of cards from that pile for +$1 each, +$2 each instead if they are Kingdom cards.
There are controls against using this on Province, Estate, Curse, or Copper for much benefit. This turns powerful (or weak) kingdom cards into a non-terminal silver. People haven't liked not being able to play their cards (without the benefits Chan gives) in the past. There is a little concern in Platinum games without +buy. Seems fun.
Wimsey
$2 - Treasure-Victory
--
--
This has to be a joke. I laughed quietly to myself.
Carter
$1 - Action
+1 Action
--
If you gain this card during your turn, you may return it to the supply immediately. If you do, each other player gains a [This Card].
A card that junks up other players for 1 card once. It is easy enough to get many of these on extra buys (like a $1 peddler). It doesn't seem as malicious as Cursing, but it grow very annoying in a few games with +Buy. It seems like an okay counter to the trim deck. Seems okay.
Queen
$5 - Action-Attack
Trash this. You may trash a card that is neither a Curse nor a Ruins from your hand; if you do, +1 VP. Each opponent may trash a card that is neither a Curse nor a Ruins from his hand. If he does, he gains a Curse in hand; otherwise, he discards his hand.
You trash an Estate or Copper from your hand, then your opponent trashes an Estate or Copper from their hand (and gets a Curse) or skips their turn (nearly always much worse). If you can put your opponent at risk for do. I don't think Marauder and Cultist are common enough for this to need an anti-Ruins clause. This card doesn't "read" well and I have difficulty liking it, but it doesn't seem imbalanced.
Tracy
$6 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
When you play this, trash it.  If you do, gain a Prize or a Gold.  You may put your deck in the discard pile.
--
Prize-gainer! Grand Market might as well be a Prize anyway (it is as good as the average prize). There isn't much reason to buy this when the Prizes are out, so the Gold is a consolation prize (unless you don't want Diadem or Bag of Gold). I like this better than the "Grand Laboratory" that has been bandied about. I love Grand Market enough that I like this. Seems okay.
Campion
$3 - Action
+$1
At the start of Clean-up this turn, if the +$X gained from all Action cards in play is greater than the coins provided by Treasure cards in play, gain a Treasure card costing up to the sum of all +$X in play and coins provided by Treasures in play. Otherwise, gain an Action card costing up to the sum of all +$X in play and coins provided by Treasures in play.
--
When this is in play, instead of discarding it during Clean-up, trash it instead.
Too complicated for such a unnecessary effect. If you are playing all BM, you gain some Actions. If you are playing an Engine, you gain something middling. If you are playing a crazy KC, Festival, Minion, Goons thing, you get a Gold. It all seems unimpressive after you take the time to set up.
Vance
$P - Action-Plague
+1 Card
+1 Action
Gain a Curse.
--
In a 4 player game, I (P1) buy this turn 3. P2, P3, P4 gain this. Turn 6: P2, P3 , and P4 play this. Turn 8: P3, P4 and I (P1) play this. By the end of the game, P4 has been hurt by this the most, followed by P3, P2, and you. It just seems unfair. Also, this is worthless without other potion cards.
Dover
$4 - Action-Attack
+$1
Choose one: +1 Card, +1 Action, each other player gains a Curse; or, +2 Cards, +1 Buy, each other player draws a card, then discards two.
--
Compare this to IGG. This is a Peddler. That is worse than silver. This can be used once and gives the opponent a Copper and Curse; the Curse is delayed. That gives the curse first and leaves you with the worse-than-silver in your deck. I understand this doesn't have the 3-piling problem, but this card does cost less, as well.
Alleyn
$4 - Treasure
Worth $2
--
When you would gain this, the player to your left gains this card instead, and only that player can gain this card.
--
(Rules clarification: The player to the left cannot have the player to HIS left gain this card, he is the sole person gaining the card. Reactions to card gains apply in this situation however, e.g. Watchtower. When this card is played, the original buyer of this card will gain the Gold, and the "player to the left" gains the Silver.)
I don't want "left-hurting" cards for multiplayer. Tribute isn't really something either player can control.
Shayne
$5 - Action
Trash this card. If you do, gain two action cards, the first to your hand, the second to the top of your deck. You cannot use this card to gain another copy of this card.
try: "Trash this card. If you do, gain two non-Shayne Action cards, place one in your hand; place the other on top of your deck." If there are 3 cards that cost 5 or more, this works. Gaining an action card to your hand after a terminal feels awkward, but it may be good balance.
Hammer
$4 - Action
I don't like how swingy this ability is (it can gain you an early Duchy).
Charles
$2 - Action
Trash this card.  Reveal your hand.  If there are no duplicate cards in it, gain a copy of each Action or Treasure you revealed this way.
As a Menagerie-type, it antisynergizes with itself (you are likely to have multiples after one play of Charles). The balance might need work (it is obviously awful as an opening or on turn 3-9) Menagerie isn't that great early, either and that is why it can cost $3, but I still am not sure. Seems okay.
Wolfe
$2 - Treasure
Worth $1
When you play this, trash this together with any number of cards in play or from your hand costing $0.
--
I think that if this card existed, it should let you trash a combination of Curses and played Coppers/ Ruins. I think that might be the intent here, but I am not sure. It is fun that you can use this to give you more money on your buy phase (particularly after Princess Bridge or Highway).
Beresford
$4 - Action
Choose one:
+2 Actions;
+$1, +1 Buy;
trash your hand.
--
When you gain this, set it aside; you may add it to your hand at the start of any of your future turns.
--
The "When you play this" clause should just be added to the ability. Considering the "trash your hand" ability, it is too powerful as an opening trasher.
Warshawski
$3 - Action
+$1
Trash this card.
--
When you trash this, choose one: trash up to three cards from your hand; or +3 Cards; or gain a Spoils.
I like that the trash clause works in the Dark Ages way. This is like a baby Count. It is a swiss army knife you want throughout the game. Seems okay.
Withers
$3 - Action
+1 Action
Trash this card.
--
When you trash this card, set it aside. At the start of your next Buy phase, +1 Buy, +$3, and put this card in the trash.
--
(Rules clarifications: When you put this card in the trash after it was set aside, you are not trashing the card, so the "When you trash this card..." clause doesn't take effect.)
This is a duration card in disguise. I would rather it just be a duration card.
Blackie
$3P - Action-Looter
--
When you play the first action of your turn, play it as if your set-aside Ruins' texts were added to the bottom of the card in the order you decide.
I don't like the idea of mixing Dark Ages and Alchemy. This is also a permanent card. I don't suspect that this will get a lot of votes, as creative as it is. Also: worthless without other potion cards.
Templar
$5 - Action-Victory
--
Worth 2 VP
An engine that can buy 1 of these every 2 turns (every opponent's turn) is nasty. Like possession, it seems good in the late game. This scares me, but I will give it the benefit of the doubt for now. Seems okay.
Temple
$3 - Action
Name a card. Look through your discard pile and trash all copies of the named card.
Trash this card.
Without a discard pile, this is useless. I don't want that swinginess
Falcon
[This Card]
$6 - Action
+2 Cards
+2 Actions
+$2
Trash this. If you do, each other player with 5 or more cards in hand draws a card, then passes a card from his hand to you.
This is extremely strong with any form of trashing. Without trashing, this mucks up your deck too much in a large multiplayer game. The (fancy) balance seems a little off.
Drew
$3 - Action-Attack
+2 Cards
You may trash up to two cards from your hand.  If you trash at least one card in this way, every other player gains a Curse.
Way too strong and dominant. If you are buying this card, you obviously want to trash at least 1 card from a given 6 card hand.
Mason
$5 - Action
+1 Action.
Trash this card. If you do, reveal an Action card from your hand and choose one: +coins equal to the card's cost and +1 buy OR gain a copy of the card and play it immediately.
This only seems to work with high cost actions. Would a version that worked if you only got low cost actions work well. In many games, the most expensive action is $5. In that case this just works as a village where you can't even draw the card unless it matches up with an expensive action or as a Salvager where you lose the Salvager instead of the Action. I think some variant of this ability might work.
Drummond
$4 - Action
+$1
--
Setup: At the start of the game, place the [This Card] token on the [This Card] supply pile.
--
Whenever a [This Card] is played, play it as if were a copy of the card with the [This Card] token on it. The played [This Card] is that card until it leaves play. Then, its owner gets +$1, sets [This Card] aside, and moves the [This Card] token to an Action card in the Supply. Trash the set aside [This Card]s at the end of the game.
--
(Rules clarification: The [This Card] token cannot be moved to an empty supply pile. If the copied supply pile runs out, [This Card] is still a copy of that card. The +$1, setting aside, and moving happens after the effects of the copied action.)
This seems overcomplicated for a mimic.
Moto
$2 - Action
+2 Cards
Trash this and a card from your hand. Name a card. Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal the named card, and then trash it. Discard the other revealed cards.
A guaranteed trashing of something you want to get rid of and a card in your hand. This can remove 2 estates from your deck , give you a $5 hand, and remove itself. It seems a little too strong for $2, but so is Chapel... seems okay.
Bradley
$6* - Action
Trash this card and up to 4 cards from your hand. Gain 2 cards that together cost up to as much as the total cost in coins of all cards trashed this way (including this).
--
This costs $1 less for every copy of this card that is in the trash, but not less than $0.
--
(Special design considerations: This card is handled like a Prosperity card, so it increases the chances of playing with Platinum and Colonies if this is in the game.)
This has too many rules complications to just be a user friendly Forge.
Monk
$2 - Action
I think Forager covers this ground a lot better. Not much is stopping the opponent from getting these after you got rid of yours powering them up. It makes for an awful opener.
Silver
$6 - Action
This has the potential for a whole lot of abuse. If you use Contest Silver on itself, you can play 4 cards a total of 16 times, trashing up to 5 actions from your hand and getting an unbelievable megaturn. I am especially worried about Contest Silver and high-value Cursers, who empty the curse pile and then eliminate themselves.
Quin
$5 - Action
Trash this card.
This is like getting your opening buys again. This is similar to Spenser and also to getting another chance at an opening. It is weird to use this to gain a 5 cost and 2 cost, since it only really gets you a $2 at the cost of a card. Seems okay.
Lanyard
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
--
At the beginning of any turn, remove any number of tokens from your [This Card] mat.  +1 Action per token removed.
This is a Village you can use 3 times. I like Survivor's Village better. I feel like this is much better than a normal village and is a decent turn 3-5 buy.
Spenser
$5 - Action
Trash this card. Choose one: Gain two cards costing up to $4 each; or gain three cards costing up to $3 each; or gain four cards costing up to $2 each.
Cute. I like low-cost gaining strategies. This one is too good for a 5/2 opening. This may also run out piles in a non-trash directly from pile strategy.
Morse
$P - Action
Trash this card. If you do, choose one: put a [This Card] token on any pile without one on it; or remove a [This Card] token from any pile with one on it.
Cards in piles with [This Card] tokens cost $P less and $3 more if it has a Potion in its cost; otherwise, it costs $P more and $3 less (but not less than $0).
--
(Rules clarification: If no piles have a [This Card] token on it, you must put a token on a pile. Eligible piles for [This Card] tokens include Supply piles, non-Supply piles such as Madman, the Black Market deck, the trash, and players' decks. For tokens on players' decks, the effect extends to that player's hand, play area, and discard pile. Once a card is removed from a [This Card]ed pile, its cost reverts to normal until placed in another pile with a [This Card] token.)
Cute. We have enough potion cards. Also, this shouldn't be able to cap Provinces!
Stone
$0 - Action-Victory
Worth -1 VP
--
When there are at least two [This Card]s in the supply, when you buy a card, you may pay $1 less than its current cost. If you do, put into your discard pile two [This Card]s from the supply.
Seems alright, though gaining two of these never seems worth it. Maybe you gain 1 and it has -2VP? This seems to encourage BM or strategies that have actions left over.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2012, 02:32:27 pm »

Ahh, I couldn't resist.

I had trouble evaluating many of these because they are one-shot.  Some of the effects are really strong, but might be fine as a one-shot.  Some are just plain too strong though.

Poirot
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
--

I feel like i see this idea a lot in the forums.  It probably works just fine, but I am personally not a fan of it.  It can introduce interesting tactical plays (preventing a 3-pile, blocking opponent's key cards, delaying Province purchases significantly so you have time to build an engine) but I just think I'd find it annoying to play with. :P

Holmes
$3 - Action
--

NV (sans actions) that is more powerful but only works with Treasure.  My main concern is that it only costs $3 and gains Gold very easily.  Since Holmes costs $3 you could open two of them and have Gold in hand before the second reshuffle.  If you only open one, it is still likely that you can have Gold in hand after the second reshuffle (when you play Holmes the second time).  The only difference to having it gained to discard as normal is that you can't have Holmes miss the third reshuffle and you need to spend that action to retrieve it from the mat.

Oh but wait... it's one-shot.  This is the one-shot contest.  So its main uses would be Gold gaining (need to buy at least two, barring TR/Proc/KC) and Copper pseudo-trashing.

Yeah OK, I like it.

Marlowe
$5 - Action
--

Expensive.  As a one-shot, I don't quite think it is strong enough to cost $5.  Not sure.  I'm also having a bit of trouble figuring out how I would use this.  Pseudo-Remake?  Or maybe Duchy massing in the end game?

Brown
$4 - Action-Victory
--
Worth 2 VP

In the context of this set, I am biased against Victory card entries.  But I do like this.  The action alone is just a weak Feast.  Yeah it can go up to $6, but that's only relevant with a handful of alt VP (and possibly in price reduction games).  But since it is also worth 2VP, it gains some neat interaction with Duchy.  You can trash it for something better, if that something is indeed better.  I would vote for this if we didn't already have 3 VP cards in the set.

Hardy
$1 - Action
+$1
+1 Buy

The +$1, +1 Buy means that, when you play this, you have the choice to Buy another one without seriously impacting your current turn.  It's nice that you can't get both cards and actions from one play of Hardy, because that means there is a cost to using this (either you use up an action or you use up a card slot).  Looks good to me.  Bonus points for hitting several things missing from the set -- virtual coin, +Buy, low price.

Marple
$3 - Action
+$2
Trash this.
--

I think it looks fine, but it's not that interesting to me.

Spade
$5 - Action

Looks fine, but I am biased against expensive cards this contest. :P

Bobbsey
$2 - Action

Cheap one-shot Estate-Killer.  Looks fine, I think.

Columbo
$3 - Action

One-shot Workshop (with some differences if there is price reduction), trash another card to double the gain.  Looks fine, but I think it is far too similar to Carpenter.  The set doesn't need a second self-trashing Workshop variant.

Dupin
$4 - Action
+$1

Very strong.  It's a Chapel that doesn't hurt your current hand and gets itself out of the way.  Very good for trimming down the starting deck.  I think it may be too strong.

Rockford
$4 - Action-Attack
--

It sounds too strong at first.  It is seriously hurting other players' hands, and you get a decent boost (huge boost with more than 2 players).  But often you'll just be getting a lot of Copper.  While you may be hurting others and getting a boost in the short-term, you help them and hurt yourself in the long term.  So for that, I think it is OK.

The Tax token idea has been floating around for a long time.  It seems like a very natural spin on Embargo, so I imagine that Donald must have tried it before.  I suspect it is either coming in Guilds or has some deeper flaw.  One possibility is that you can get into a game state where it is impossible for anyone to buy anything.  With Possession, Graverobber and Rogue, you can play an infinite number of these and making everything too expensive to buy!  But that's a very improbably situation.

Magnum
$4 - Action
+2 Cards

Similar to Dupin, above, but I like this better.  Magnum is weaker because you do hurt your current hand.  It also only trashes 4 cards total (including itself) as opposed to Dupin's 5.

Fletcher
$2 - Action

In the early game this is often just a one-shot Silver with light trashing.  If you can open with this and non-terminal +Buy, it can be a really nice boost.  This could be amazing in the right engine, though the requisite trashing needs to be handled properly.  Looks interesting.  Bonus points for low price and virtual coin (sort of).  Minus points because it would exacerbate the set's need for +Buy.

Chan
$2 - Action
--

I don't like how it can shut down strategies.  Opponent spends time to build an engine that will come back from a huge point deficit for an astounding win... then you play this and shut out his key card(s).  Now he can still discard them for +$2 but his multi-Province engine takes a heavy hit.

In retaliation, the engine player plays this on Gold or Silver.  Hey BM-player, you are suddenly flooded with Copper.  Enjoy.

And so this becomes a battle to see who can play the last Chan, after which the unlucky loser bears a heavy handicap for the rest of the game.

Wimsey
$2 - Treasure-Victory
--
--

I have no idea how serious this entry is.  :P

Carter
$1 - Action
+1 Action
--

On-gain junking attack.  It is like IGG except super cheap and it doesn't add anything to your own deck.  I don't like it... with +Buy (or hey, Talisman) it is easy to heavily harm opponent's decks.  Opponents can make them disappear without much trouble, but they only return to the supply so they'll be flying around again soon enough.  It's probably nothing more than a minor hindrance.  It worries me nonetheless.

Queen
$5 - Action-Attack

With Graverobber/Rogue, it wouldn't be too difficult to build an engine that plays this every turn.  If there is no other Curser on the board, the built in Moat will not work (well, I guess you could just buy Curses).  Basically, you can Torture them while leaving them with almost no way out, since their only option would be to buy Curses and then hope they are in hand when you attack.  And once the Curses run out (and they will, since you have to trash it to use it as a Moat), you are once again defenseless.

Edit: I just realized that I misread Queen.  I thought it forced the trashing of EITHER a Curse or a Ruin.  But it actually says NEITHER.  Whoops!  Um, this makes it better.  Might be OK for a one-shot attack... but probably not.  Pillage doesn't stack.  This does, and it will work with KC.

Tracy
$6 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
--

The Gold gaining option is kind of pointless.  Consolation prize if the Prizes run out, I suppose.  This seems as swingy as Tournament.

Campion
$3 - Action
+$1
--

Way too wordy.  Aside from cards leaving play (Embargo, or purchasing Mint/Mandarin), this is basically "double your coin, +1 Buy restricted to Treasure if you used most Actions to get +$ or restricted to Action cards otherwise".

Vance
$P - Action-Plague
+1 Card
+1 Action
Gain a Curse.
--

Wha.

OK, you buy this.  You return it to the supply.  Everyone else gets one instead.

One of those players plays it, gaining a Curse and passing Vance along.

Maybe another player trashes it with Salvager... and drops to a 2 card hand as a result.

It has a potion cost so it is harder to get.  Buying it doesn't help you, but then again it doesn't take up space in your deck either.  Of course, it could quickly come back to you.

It is probably fine, but I am not a fan.

Dover
$4 - Action-Attack
+$1
--

Another attack that seems to be doing too much.  On-gain and on-trash junking attack.  Cantrip Curser.  Unlimited discard.  Being a one-shot limits it, so each of these is OK, but there is just too much going on.

Alleyn
$4 - Treasure
Worth $2
--
--

The idea is interesting.  It is basically giving the player to your left a Silver, so that you will (probably) get a Gold after his next reshuffle.

The wording is not so good.  It makes no sense without the clarification (because the "when you gain" text would apply to the player to your left, and to his left, and so on -- "only that player" doesn't help much).  The easy fix is to have it apply "when you buy this".  You only lose interaction with gainers, and that's a very small price for rules clarity.

Shayne
$5 - Action

Seems fine, I think.

Hammer
$4 - Action

Random?  Well, first there is the issue of how to do it randomly.  Then there is the issue of what cards can be gained -- even cards not in the Kingdom?

Play-wise, it is weak because you may very well gain a card you didn't want in the first place.  And you probably could have bought the card you wanted anyway, if Hammer was just a Silver instead.

Charles
$2 - Action

Quirky and unique.  Could lead to some interesting strategies if there is support.

Wolfe
$2 - Treasure
Worth $1
--

This is way stronger than Loan and is almost strictly superior to Mint's on-gain effect.

Beresford
$4 - Action
Choose one:
+2 Actions;
+$1, +1 Buy;
trash your hand.
--
--

One-shot "trash your hand" that you can play immediately on the next turn or save for your next crappy hand, with additional options for a free Village or free +$1/+1 Buy...

While the other two options seem alright, the trashing looks way too strong for me.  Might be OK if it weren't for the long-term-Haven effect.

Warshawski
$3 - Action
+$1
Trash this card.
--

Seems OK, I think.

Withers
$3 - Action
+1 Action
Trash this card.
--
--

Why not just put +$3, +1 Buy right in the on-play effect?  Interaction with other trashers, I suppose.  Seems quite niche though.  Looks fine?

Blackie
$3P - Action-Looter
--

Is this a permanent duration?  It looks that way.  I am not a fan... Even though it is expensive, it just seems too good to have a near-permanent Caravan or Village or Peddler. 

Templar
$5 - Action-Victory
--
Worth 2 VP

One-shot Outpost that doesn't limit the size of your next hand.  Decently strong already, I think.  If you only have $5 now but expect stronger turns in the future, this can be a good buy.  The extra VP just seems out of place, especially on a one-shot.

Temple
$3 - Action
Trash this card.

I don't like how swingy this is.  Draw it immediately after the reshuffle -- it's just a dead card then.  But draw it at the end, when everything is in the discard... you can trim your deck very effectively, without hurting your current hand.  I don't know about this.  As a one-shot, it doesn't average out over time.  It's just hit or miss.

Falcon
[This Card]
$6 - Action
+2 Cards
+2 Actions
+$2

Powerful.  Should probably be an Attack type?  I remain biased against expensive cards for this contest.

Drew
$3 - Action-Attack
+2 Cards

Very strong, not sure if one-shot covers it.

Mason
$5 - Action
+1 Action.

Strong.  One-shot.  Again, hard to evaluate.  But I am still biased against expensive one-shots. :P

Drummond
$4 - Action
+$1
--
--
--

Some timing issues:  "The played [This Card] is that card until it leaves play. Then [many things]."  The "Then" implies that the [many things] don't happen until it leaves play.  +$1 is meaningless at that point.  It's also unclear why you would set them aside instead of just trashing them outright.

Overall, too many moving parts.

Moto
$2 - Action
+2 Cards

Looks fine.

Bradley
$6* - Action
--
--

Probably fine.  I don't think the cost reduction is necessary.

Monk
$2 - Action

Probably fine...

Silver
$6 - Action

Crazy KC variant.  Too crazy for me! :P

Quin
$5 - Action
Trash this card.

Probably fine.

Lanyard
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
--

One-shot seems tacked on.

Spenser
$5 - Action

Too weak, I think.

Morse
$P - Action
--

So weird!  Not sure how it would play.  It is slow to get.  You could use it to block a non-Potion card if your opponent didn't go Potions, but you can't do it very early in the game.  Going the other way probably isn't useful.  You have a Potion already (had to, to buy this card) so why remove Potion costs to make something accessible to an opponent without Potion?  Interesting though.

Stone
$0 - Action-Victory
Worth -1 VP
--

Interesting.  Not sure how it would play!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 12:51:12 am by eHalcyon »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 22 queries.