Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A new accountability issue in Graverobber  (Read 4453 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
A new accountability issue in Graverobber
« on: August 27, 2012, 11:38:20 am »
+3

Graverobber suffers from the same accountability issue as Throne Room, Moneylender, and Mine. The second choice (Expand) doesn't say "you may." So what happens if you choose option 2 but have no action cards in your hand? You aren't required to reveal your hand. Of course, this doesn't come up very often. First off you'd need to be forced to play the Graverobber via something like Throne Room or Golem. Then, there would have to be a card costing from $3 to $6 in the trash that you really don't want. Otherwise you'd just choose that option.

So.... why doesn't Graverobber have "you may?"
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
Re: A new accountability issue in Graverobber
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 12:31:57 pm »

I also thought of this when I saw this card for the first time.

mischiefmaker

• Golem
  • Respect: +108
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 05:02:37 pm »

You wouldn't necessarily need to be forced to play the Graverobber; you might want to play it for Horn of Plenty/Peddler reasons, for example. And if the only eligible cards in the trash are Silver, I could see you not wanting to clutter up a cantrip engine deck (which, of course, would be well-suited to gaining cheap Peddlers).

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 05:37:30 pm »
+1

You wouldn't necessarily need to be forced to play the Graverobber; you might want to play it for Horn of Plenty/Peddler reasons, for example. And if the only eligible cards in the trash are Silver, I could see you not wanting to clutter up a cantrip engine deck (which, of course, would be well-suited to gaining cheap Peddlers).

Graverob Peddlers into Colonies, then use Highways to get them back out of the trash.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 06:13:44 pm »
+2

It seemed weird to say "you may" there - "choose one: do x, or you may do y" looks kind of like the "you may" is part of the "or." And the situation where this matters is pretty rare - you need to want Graverobber in play (Peddler etc.), not want anything from the trash, and not want to Expand an action. And I already blew it with Throne Room and Moneylender and something and so it's not like I could keep a perfect streak of accountability.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 08:04:31 pm »

It seemed weird to say "you may" there - "choose one: do x, or you may do y" looks kind of like the "you may" is part of the "or." And the situation where this matters is pretty rare - you need to want Graverobber in play (Peddler etc.), not want anything from the trash, and not want to Expand an action. And I already blew it with Throne Room and Moneylender and something and so it's not like I could keep a perfect streak of accountability.

I take your general point here, and this seems like a reasonable decision to me; but doesn't Governor have an 'X, Y, or you may Z' wording? Though I suppose in that case the optionality of the remodeling option is essential to the card's functionality, since Governor doesn't want you to be able to force opponents to upgrade a card if they don't want to.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 11:34:14 pm »

I take your general point here, and this seems like a reasonable decision to me; but doesn't Governor have an 'X, Y, or you may Z' wording? Though I suppose in that case the optionality of the remodeling option is essential to the card's functionality, since Governor doesn't want you to be able to force opponents to upgrade a card if they don't want to.
Governor says "or each player may." That doesn't look weird to me the way "or you may" does.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3670
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 12:03:14 am »
+1

Can you imagine the chaos that would ensue if governor was a forced trash for your opponents?

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 12:13:00 am »
+1

Can you imagine the chaos that would ensue if governor was a forced trash for your opponents?
Yes. Mwahahaha.

Actually if it was forced trash you'd pretty much have to call it an Attack because it would start resembling Swindler and Saboteur. Except that it would be Thief-ish-ly beneficial to opponents early game, and probably even more annoying than any of them late game.

yudantaiteki

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +167
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 04:26:17 am »
+1

Haha, play 5 governors in a turn and all the opponents have to start their next turn with no cards plus you blew away five of the cards in their deck.  Getting 5 "better" cards would only be small consolation, I think.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.