Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Anyone want to maintain councilroom?  (Read 47792 times)

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
Anyone want to maintain councilroom?
« on: August 25, 2012, 12:00:21 am »
+3

I am just not into Dominion anymore. Councilroom is going to be down permanently in one week if no one agrees to takes it over.
If you want to take over maintainance and adminship, send an email to councilroom-dev@googlegroups.com. I'll happily lend a hand in getting it running and answering questions about the code. Some competancy with Python and Unix is all that's really required.

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
Re: Anyone want to maintain councilroom?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 12:04:57 am »
+2

:(

Jive Junkie

• Spy
  • Respect: +58
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 12:58:28 am »

If I had any degree of competence in coding... :(

Thanks for all your hard work! It's really helped this game and its community.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 12:59:54 am by Jive Junkie »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 01:02:04 am »

Though this is more isotropic than CR, I regret that I will never know what level I could have attained.  I played somewhere around 100 games I think (maybe a bit more) and got to level 24 I think?  And I've slowly fallen below 20 now (I think) simply due to not playing more.

And I did not have many CR achievements at all.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 01:57:34 am »

Sadness :( I wish I could.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 02:22:19 am »
+7

It really is the Dark Ages.

Thanks rrneaud for all that you have done.

But, despite these being the Dark Ages for us Dominion players, soon, we will ban together and have Guilds!!!

def

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 04:34:13 am »

Thank you for the great work you put in there, it was a very big part of online dominion, at least (and definitely not only) for me.

This came somewhat suddenly, and I don't know if it's a big thing to ask, but it would be cool to have it online for its last day, because there are a lot of things I'd like to do knowing that it's my last chance.

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 08:34:49 am »

Man, I wish I had any idea about programming or hosting!  Ah well, thanks for doing it.
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 09:25:48 am »
+3

I'm tentatively interested - but I'm probably going to be on a dominion hiatus for a while.  Are you going to archive everything so that if someone wants to ressurect it in 6 months they can do so?
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 12:56:42 pm »
+1

What exactly prompted this sudden lack of interest, if I may ask?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Hertz_Doughnut

• Baron
  • Respect: +227
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 02:07:48 pm »
+32

I am just not into Dominion anymore. Councilroom is going to be down permanently in one week if no one agrees to takes it over.
If you want to take over maintainance and adminship, send an email to councilroom-dev@googlegroups.com. I'll happily lend a hand in getting it running and answering questions about the code. Some competancy with Python and Unix is all that's really required.

I'm interested.  Am a programmer and have servers.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 07:47:35 pm »
+15

I am just not into Dominion anymore.
You should go to the doctor.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 11:12:57 pm »

Sadly, I have no programming knowledge. Otherwise, I would probably say yes to the task. The only type of Python I know is that really big snake!

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 04:46:57 pm »
+2

Some students at MIT might be able to help you out. What's the deal with servers and whether we would need them?

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 06:21:27 pm »

I feel sad about this... but I'm not into Dominion anymore either. Just combination of things going on here, in the community, the loss of any real fun for me, and overall, I've kinda lost any of my past will to buy the actual game.
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?

Jive Junkie

• Spy
  • Respect: +58
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 03:21:22 am »
+1

I feel sad about this... but I'm not into Dominion anymore either. Just combination of things going on here, in the community, the loss of any real fun for me, and overall, I've kinda lost any of my past will to buy the actual game.

If it makes a difference, I went through a similar phase about a year and a half ago. I just got burnt out. But then I started playing with friends offline again and it started being fun again. So much so that I'm back on Isotropic (new account) just in time to watch it fade into the night.

While online play is not as enjoyable as playing live, I'm finding this time around that one way to keep it fun is to take my time and actually savor each game. As in, really think about the kingdom cards before the game, instead of falling into automatic habits. At key points in the game, take a moment to see if my natural inclination is actually the right move. Some opponents do get annoyed because they want to play blitz Dominion, but usually it's OK if you explain that you're just pondering. And finally, it's fun to appreciate the good play of my opponent, and admire some new engine they're putting into effect, or just the efficiency of their deck, or the wisdom of a key buy. Sometimes I like to go over the game log of a game I lost to see what awesomesauce my opponent conjured. And of course to steal it for future use :)

It's a strategy game, and it's way more enjoyable if it gets some air to breathe. I think sometimes people forget that.

rrenaud

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 09:35:18 am »
+1

I'd prefer other people to host the server.  There has been interest from people with servers in hosting it, but no one has a copy up and running yet.  People at MIT sound like they'd make great developers, especially if rspeer was included.  Maybe you and your friends could develop the code that is production hosted elsewhere?  OTOH, having a local copy is always nice for development.

jamuspsi

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 12:33:22 pm »
+1

oh shit, one week?  Yeah, I'll do it.  I'm a python/unix guy.

rrenaud

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 12:39:59 pm »
+3

Here is a mail I sent to the councilroom dev mailing list yesterday on how to get it set up.

Hi guys, thanks for volunteering!

Councilroom was hosted on a relatively puny $1000 machine I bought from Dell ~1.5 years ago and served off my home cable model.  The only interesting thing about it was that it had 16 GB of RAM.   The server runs some recentish version of Ubuntu (10.4?), but the councilroom code shouldn't really have many weird or crazy dependencies, any unix-like machine should be able to get it the deps without much work.

The councilroom github has instructions to get it running that should just work under the "long arduous setup".  It will take awhile to download the games, parse and compute the stats, but it should be automatic and hopefully reasonably robust.

https://github.com/rrenaud/dominionstats/blob/master/README.rst

The server has been falling over a lot recently, I suspect because a few of the pages are coded very poorly and traverse a whole users set of games to compute stats (popular buys per player, the player page, and the player vs other player record page all do this).  When a a similarly poorly coded search engine comes around (these pages are blocked by robots.txt, but some search engines don't honor it), it just keeps putting too many requests on those uber slow pages and councilroom eventually runs out of memory and dies.  The decision to do a scan of all the players games came when players had a few hundred game max, but now that there are crazy people with 10k games, and so the design is horribly broken.  If someone pre-computed those pages, I am pretty sure a 486 could serve councilroom fine.

I think it would be best if all 3 of you guys served councilroom, and just the beefiest machine took councilroom.com, and we added some links to 0.councilroom.com and 1.councilroom.com as backups in case the main server went down.  Alternatively, maybe we could use round robin DNS to balance among all 3?  My networking foo is pretty weak.  But certainly, having a few people maintain independent copies is better than just picking one interested admin, since there are three of you.

If  anything is unclear or broken with the instructions, please respond and I'll try to clarify and help.  Also, you guys might want to join the dev mailing list directly at https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/councilroom-dev

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2012, 01:45:28 pm »

So, unfortunately my hosting won't be able to do this after all (mongodb not available and it's not my box).  Apologies.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2012, 04:27:23 pm »

Do we have any update on this front?
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

rrenaud

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2012, 04:30:01 pm »

There was a fair amount of interest, but no one has it up and running.  Some people hit problems with disk space, especially those trying to run it in virtual servers.  I had a ton of disk and no big need to optimize it away.  Others hit problems with ancient versions of Python installed on their servers.

rrenaud

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2012, 04:45:00 pm »
+5

I could just give people ssh access to the machine and tell them to email me when they need to restart it. 

Hertz_Doughnut

• Baron
  • Respect: +227
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2012, 04:48:35 pm »
+3

I could just give people ssh access to the machine and tell them to email me when they need to restart it.

Yeah.  Let's try that.

ancientcampus

• Navigator
  • Respect: +52
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2012, 10:18:54 am »

I just want to say how awesome you guys are, trying to get this thing running. Especially rrenaud - that's a very generous offer to leave councilroom on your machine.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.