Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: BGG Store Tournament Bracket - Round 1  (Read 18423 times)

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
Re: BGG Store Tournament Bracket - Round 1
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2012, 04:22:12 pm »

Watno - Qvist 3:1
Game 1: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201208/27/game-20120827-123830-ab88848d.html
We play Militia-BM mirror, where i mix in some markets while Qvist goes for a tribute and stashes. First player wins, and thats me.
I think there was probably some strong strategy here involving scrying pool, village and bridge, but none of us tried to go for it.
Game 2: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201208/27/game-20120827-124608-02ef8d25.html
We both open Trading Post, I then go for Margrave-BM while Qvist goes for an engine with Margrave and Walled Village. I win, but i got kinda lucky with collisions.
Game 3: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201208/27/game-20120827-125625-1951329d.html
Interesting game. We both go for Fool's Gold, trying to setup KC-Bridge with Stables for draw. Qvist gets ahead on KC's and Stables, but I manage to get a turn where I play 3 bridges, one of them KCed and some FGs. However, I'm one buy short to end it on piles while still buying a vp card, so i settle for 6 provinces. Qvist then mixes in some envoys and manages to get a real megaturn off, buying out the remaining 7 colonies and a province.
Game 4: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201208/27/game-20120827-130140-85fd0cec.html
I go workshop gardens, while Qvist mixes in Talismans. Because of this i win the Gardens split 5-3 and am able to end on estates and tunnels. Qvist gets close to scoring some provinces, but ends up with $7 twice i think. He also makes the mistake of helping me to empty tunnels, but I dont think it would have helped if he didnt.

Qvist will upload the match to Youtube. Thx for playing.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2012, 05:59:37 pm »

Watno already summarized our games well. Thx for the games Watno.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2012, 08:58:01 pm »
+1

I'm kind of unsatisfied with the role of first player advantage in the current tournament system.... I feel like the player who got to go first for the whole set had a strong advantage for winning the entire set.

Thanks for the feedback, but as with most criticism, it would have been more useful--although perhaps less obvious--before the tournament started to changes could have been made.
Oh no, I'm not making a personal criticism at you for simply following the status quo.  I just mean the community as a whole needs to take some time and respite and think about what direction serious dominion needs to move.  You didn't have time, you needed this thing wrapped up before goko.  But long term, the status quo needs to be considered, and agreement on a better way of playing ought to happen.  The answer is probably too radical for you to have pushed on people.  It's going to be something like very altered kingdom selection, or chess clocks.

Probably chess clocks.  Hell, chess itself has almost no luck that it needs to sift through for sample sizing, and it still uses a timed clock.  Chess clocks would improve sample sizing a lot, because lots of trivial decisions that are well worth a couple minutes if they are free, like whether to start buying Duchies, get pressured to be more brief, improving sample size for the same amount of real time. 

zporiri

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: zporiri
  • Go, and do likewise.
  • Respect: +130
    • View Profile
Go, and do likewise.

yuma

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2012, 11:22:56 pm »

Thanks to everyone getting their games completed so quickly. Only two more sets to go. Young Nick/moomoo have already let me know they won't play until Wednesday.

For those of you that already know your round 2 opponents feel free to start scheduling and playing matches. But the official 2 days to contact will not start until after all the games are complete.

I'll set up another thread to post results for round 2 games.

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2012, 06:38:59 am »

Mergus wins over lespeutere  3 - 0

Here are the logs and some brief comments.

Game 1:
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201208/27/game-20120827-091757-67475855.html
A Chapel game where he decides to go for support with Merchant ships which I thought was a cool idea considering Throne Room. I buy a Nobles to keep him from breaking PPR and then win because I get two Province hands in a row.

Game 2:
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201208/27/game-20120827-093056-3316d59b.html
We both go double Ambassador and I am way more lucky in the start. With Cities and Goons I win by buying out piles.

Game 3:
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201208/27/game-20120827-093846-660c255d.html
Horse Trader+Duchy/Duke. I forget that this is the way to go and buy a Torturer on my first 5 turn. Although this should help him even more, as he has 3 Horsetraders to my 1 luck is on my side again and we split Duchies. And in the end I buy the last two Dukes to win.

Thanks for the games lespeutere. I got really lucky.

1st game might have looked cool but Mergus just played it better. 2nd I got a bit unlucky with ambassadors colliding on t4 (amb/amb/E/C/C); I hope to come back by skipping some possible silvers to get my amb running again but it never happens. 3rd was pretty ridiculous imho. I should've skipped some of the early estates but I thought I would be able to cope with them due to horse traders (I had 2 of them early, bought 1 late, compared to 1(!) for Mergus throughout the game). Still he gets the dukes..
Overall, it was not an undeserved win, though, although I should've done much better.

By the way: we've been the all German eighth of the bracket :-)

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2012, 02:09:05 pm »

Rabid 3, Pingpongsam 0

Thanks for the match Pingpongsam, I think you played much better than the score line would indicate.

Game 1 (Missing log sorry)

A perfect GhostShip board really showing the power of its attack.
Steward for trash, village + lab + ghost ship for draw and market for + buy.
I got the better early trashing and avoided gold until I could draw the whole deck every turn.
At that point there is no coming back when you are getting ghost shipped every turn.

Game 2
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201208/29/game-20120829-104716-85e9afff.html

A Governor board, with no better terminals on the board I open Chancellor/silver against Silver / Silver.
I only use it twice but I think it gives me the small edge I need.

Game 3
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201208/29/game-20120829-105545-499f0f67.html

Strange board with very little engine potential, we both go remake into highway, expand and lots of silvers.
Pingpongsam gambles on fortune teller + remake against my remake + silver, they clash on turn 3.
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +274
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2012, 06:09:26 pm »

Young Nick defeats moomoo 3-1!

Game 1. I win a Witch mirror with a bit more money than him while we dance with Ambassadors, Trading Posts, Havens, and Traders for support.

Game 2. A University-Torturer game that I have no business winning due to my skipping Schemes. I get a lucky 3-pile opportunity and snag it something like 6-4.

Game 3. I go for a Mining Village/Council Room/Bridge mega-turn but shoot myself in my foot by trashing my Mining Villages. Without my Mining Villages, he coasts to a victory. I probably should have won this one, but not as much as he deserved game two.

Game 4. I open Navigator/Wishing Well to line up Treasure Maps. I do and he struggles to handle that with his one Gold.

Thanks moomoo for being such a gracious opponent! You were very accommodating with my internet difficulties.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 21 queries.