Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
More?
« on: August 23, 2012, 09:41:12 pm »

Usually new challenges hit on Mondays and Thursdays.  Are we at the end of the game?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

andwilk

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +152
    • View Profile
Re: More?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 11:02:02 pm »

I was wondering about this too.  I thought challenge 13 & 14 were to be released today.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 11:07:49 pm »

I hope so, this is fun :D

Plus I still need to win one of these…

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2127
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 03:26:38 am »

Is rinkworks running out of ideas for challenges?

The most obvious ones that haven't been done are a Treasure (although there's one in the set) and a card with +1 buy.

He still hasn't done Duration or Reaction, or a cantrip. I'd also like to see a challenge that's about designing a card costing something specific (especially 0, 1, 6 or 7), a card with a when trash effect, a oneshot/self trasher or a non terminal attack (very few examples of those).

yudantaiteki

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +167
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 05:00:05 am »

I think a $1 or $7 contest would be good.  $1 is especially hard to design for and it would be interesting to see if anyone could come up with a workable idea...but maybe rinkworks doesn't want that in the set.

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 08:51:04 am »
+9

Fear not -- I'm not done!  This week was just really busy, so I had to delay the next batch for a little bit.  I'll start the next pair on Monday, when the results for the current ones get announced.

I'm thinking we're nearing the end, though.  Not for lack of ideas, but this is already approaching full set size, and I could use a break.  Maybe after a few more challenges, we should take some time to playtest the set, name it, perfect it, etc, and then (if people are still interested) start over from scratch with a second community set somewhere down the line.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2127
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 06:20:08 am »
+1

I'm thinking we make this a big box expansion, using the same constraints as Donald X, which would take us to 26 cards or so. Whatever's left out of the 300, the final challenge could be to design what those cards should be used for (eg tournament prizes).

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 11:55:17 am »

Update:  I'm going to run 3-4 more challenges total, plus a "runners up" round, where some number of runners up will have a second chance to get into the set.  Since I only managed to get the ballots for 13 and 14 up yesterday, I'm going to wait until Monday to post the objectives for 15 and 16.  But we're in the home stretch now!

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 01:03:31 pm »
+3

I think things have changed a lot since the first contest.  I'd like to be able to nominate any losing card for the "runner up round" (any card besides my own, of course), not just the 2nd or 3rd place cards, and then based on nominations vote for the additional cards of the set.  What do others think of this?

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 11:53:15 am »

No new contests today.  The Reaction card contest was actually the last new challenge.  On Thursday, I'll post ballots for the runners-up round, which will have multiple winners, and for my cards, which will have 0-1 winners.

pops:  I thought about the nomination idea, and while I think it's probably a good ideal, ultimately running this contest has become quite a time sink, and I need to cut down somewhere.  But I also wonder if asking people to pick 1 from some ~730 cards to nominate is practical or focused enough to produce good results.  *shrug*

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 12:53:38 pm »

No new contests today.  The Reaction card contest was actually the last new challenge.  On Thursday, I'll post ballots for the runners-up round, which will have multiple winners, and for my cards, which will have 0-1 winners.

No looter challenge ?  :'(
Anyway, thank you for this contest !  :)

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 04:11:13 pm »
+3

I actually wanted to do a Prize card challenge, since I don't like that Tournament is the only card that accesses Prizes.  But the set is getting full, and as I mentioned to pops, this is getting time-consuming.

That said, since people seemed to dig this one and be up for more, I had an idea for doing a second set sometime down the road.  People have been talking about a Treasure Chest expansion, which would have 1-2 cards representing the themes of each of the other sets.  Based on Donald X's comments, it was sounding like that probably won't happen -- that if there were a ninth expansion, it would probably be something new anyhow.  Regardless, we could build our own Treasure Chest expansion with challenges such as "Design a card with choices" or "Design a Duration card", etc.  This would be a good place for a Looter challenge or a card using Prizes.

I'm not committing to running such a thing, and if someone else wants to set up and do what I've been doing for it, they're welcome.  But I imagine that, sometime shortly after Guilds, if no one else has stepped up, I'll probably wind up doing something along those lines.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 05:04:05 pm »

I actually wanted to do a Prize card challenge, since I don't like that Tournament is the only card that accesses Prizes.  But the set is getting full, and as I mentioned to pops, this is getting time-consuming.

That said, since people seemed to dig this one and be up for more, I had an idea for doing a second set sometime down the road.  People have been talking about a Treasure Chest expansion, which would have 1-2 cards representing the themes of each of the other sets.  Based on Donald X's comments, it was sounding like that probably won't happen -- that if there were a ninth expansion, it would probably be something new anyhow.  Regardless, we could build our own Treasure Chest expansion with challenges such as "Design a card with choices" or "Design a Duration card", etc.  This would be a good place for a Looter challenge or a card using Prizes.

I'm not committing to running such a thing, and if someone else wants to set up and do what I've been doing for it, they're welcome.  But I imagine that, sometime shortly after Guilds, if no one else has stepped up, I'll probably wind up doing something along those lines.

It's funny that you bring it up, because brokoli's post also made me think that a "treasure chest" fan expansion would be cool. I doubt I'd have time to run one, but it would be fun! Challenges could be things like:

Dominion: vanilla, simple
Intrigue: choice, multi-type VP
Seaside: duration, next turn
Alchemy: potions
Prosperity: alt-treasure, expensive, VP tokens
Cornucopia: variety, prize-giver
Hinterlands: on-buy/on-gain
Dark Ages: on-trash, trashers, looters, spoils-givers, self-upgrades, ruins
Guilds: ? ? ?

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 05:32:52 pm »

I'd be willing to take over a single contest to add to the mini-set: The Unique Mechanism contest, with a free for all submit your most unique card competition.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 05:48:28 pm »

Honestly, I am not too keen on the "unique mechanism" idea. I think there have been more than enough cards entered with unique mechanisms in the contests so far.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2012, 05:49:06 pm »

I do like the idea of a Treasure Chest contest in the future.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2012, 05:52:54 pm »

Honestly, I am not too keen on the "unique mechanism" idea. I think there have been more than enough cards entered with unique mechanisms in the contests so far.

None of them win though.  Not coincidentally.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2012, 05:55:04 pm »
+1

None of them win though.  Not coincidentally.
Well, they're hard to judge and hard to do right, but we shouldn't be so stressed out about a funky card possibly slipping into our "master" set. Heck, a lot of the cards who are in right now haven't been properly playtested so they could end up at either end of the scale.

I say "let a wacky card in". If it's not balanced, at least it'll be fun.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2012, 05:59:00 pm »
+1

We could try and design a wacky promo card.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2012, 09:11:36 pm »
+1

It's funny that you bring it up, because brokoli's post also made me think that a "treasure chest" fan expansion would be cool. I doubt I'd have time to run one, but it would be fun! Challenges could be things like:

Dominion: vanilla, simple
Intrigue: choice, multi-type VP
Seaside: duration, next turn
Alchemy: potions
Prosperity: alt-treasure, expensive, VP tokens
Cornucopia: variety, prize-giver
Hinterlands: on-buy/on-gain
Dark Ages: on-trash, trashers, looters, spoils-givers, self-upgrades, ruins
Guilds: ? ? ?
I've always thought the best thing a fan Treasure Chest could do (that, for reasons as discussed elsewhere, an official one probably wouldn't) is combining the mechanics of two or more sets. So if I were running a design comp for such a set, I'd possibly do one competition per set - one for a "pure" card that focuses on the mechanics of that set, and one for a "mixed" card that combines mechanics from that set and at least one other. Potentially "mixed" cards could be re-entered into other mixed comps unless there was a rule against it (so you had to decide whether your Potion-cost Duration should go in the Alchemist or Seaside mixed comp).

And I would definitely want to have a "Design a promo card!" competition.

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2012, 09:15:08 am »
+1

Gonna push the final ballots to Monday, after we've had the results from challenges 17 and 18.  That way we'll have a better sense of what the set still needs.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 20 queries.