Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: The Mystery Hand  (Read 8848 times)

Adrienaline

• Baron
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
Re: The Mystery Hand
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2012, 01:52:35 am »

I am guessing the original rules mean Golem doesn't help, as you have to play the action cards after it is played?

aaron0013

• Explorer
  • Respect: +220
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2012, 08:28:54 am »

Yeah. I was trying to exclude Golem, Counterfeit, Band of Misfits, and all the dumb alt. VP thresholds.  Did think of goons as getting 22 but it was too late lol!

I do like the masquerade idea.........didn't see that coming.

Thanks guys. Great thread!

DWetzel

• Conspirator
  • The Human Edge Case
  • Respect: +272
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2012, 01:24:58 pm »

I assume it's cheating/whatever to assume any Duration cards, because otherwise things get nuts.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2012, 03:00:35 pm »
+1

I assume it's cheating/whatever to assume any Duration cards, because otherwise things get nuts.

The only durations that would fit the original rules are Fishing Village, Lighthouse and Merchant Ship.  All the rest affect your handsize, and the puzzle states that you start with a hand of 5.  The extra coin can matter, but I think it's just easier excluding them.

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +766
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2012, 06:09:38 pm »

The top I can see swinging without alt-VP is 44:

Council room -> hand of 8 ventures, hit 2 ventures followed by Igg (gain C), plat, gold, bank, hop x4
Cash total: 10 (ventures) + 1 (C) + 1 (Igg) + 5 (P) + 3 (G) + 14 (Bank) = 34 coin - buy two colonies
Card count (Cr, Vent, Igg, C, P, G, B, HoP) - gain 4 prov
Total VP = 20 (col) + 24 (prov) = 44 VP

An alternate solution for 36 VP

Play Squire (+1 coin/2 buys)
Venture x4 (hit Pstone, Plat, HoP x2)
Assuming a bloated enough deck (say one filled with ruins, and green) this means we can easily get to 33 coin for buying 3 colonies.
The HoPs can both be turned into duchies

You could also replace on of the HoPs with an Igg and then you could get a province with the sole HoP.

A novel solution to the original puzzle:
Mine Igg -> Igg (opponent gains a curse), Plat, Plat, HoP
Buy colony
HoP gains a tunnel or island

« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 06:10:41 pm by jomini »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2012, 06:10:55 pm »
+1

Your second solution doesn't fit original requirements due to Squire.

But man, I totally forgot about Horn of Plenty.  Good call.

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +766
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2012, 06:13:27 pm »

The only durations that would fit the original rules are Fishing Village, Lighthouse and Merchant Ship.  All the rest affect your handsize, and the puzzle states that you start with a hand of 5.  The extra coin can matter, but I think it's just easier excluding them.

Not really. If you allow us to say wharf comes off an opponent's militia or tactician coming off 5x play of cut purse then we can have 2 buys (or more) at the start of the puzzle. If we allow those sorts of shenanigans with the bonus coins from Merchant ship, I think I might be getting up into the 70s for VP.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2012, 06:48:22 pm »

Not really. If you allow us to say wharf comes off an opponent's militia or tactician coming off 5x play of cut purse then we can have 2 buys (or more) at the start of the puzzle. If we allow those sorts of shenanigans with the bonus coins from Merchant ship, I think I might be getting up into the 70s for VP.

I stand corrected once again!  :-X

DWetzel

• Conspirator
  • The Human Edge Case
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2012, 11:29:25 pm »

So that'd be two free buys (double-torturer to 1 card, or Vaults, or whatever) from Wharfses.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2012, 12:01:54 am »

Man, might as well use the Puzzle-land staple.  It's too easy that way though.

Play NATIVE VILLAGE, drawing:

1. Copper
2. Silver
3. Gold
4. Platinum
5. Venture
6. Philosopher's Stone
7. Talisman
8. Quarry
9. Royal Seal
10. Hoard
11. Ill-Gotten Gains

actually, that's more than enough.

NV also holds 10 HoP.  Play them all.  Gain 8 Colonies, 2 Provinces.  Or if it's a 3-player game, gain 10 Colonies.

You can buy another Province/Colony with your arbitrary money.  And a couple more Provinces if you had Wharves trigger.

Heck, you could have all 10 Wharves trigger -- just pretend all the rest of your deck is the NV so the Wharves didn't draw anything, leaving you with just 5 cards to start.  That gives you 11 buys in total, which you can spend on Provinces -- you can arbitrarily get enough coin with all the treasure hidden in your NV (Plats, Golds, a bunch of Silver and Copper...) and maybe Merchant Ships, Lighthouses and Fishing Villages.

So, 10 HoP --> 10 Colonies.
11 buys with tons of money thanks to the puzzle-tastic NV --> last 2 Colonies and 9 Provinces.

So, the simple version in a 2p game comes to 98 points (8 Colonies, 3 Provinces).

Using a few tricks (3p game and Duration shenanigans) it goes up to 192 points (12 Colonies, 9 Provinces).

DWetzel

• Conspirator
  • The Human Edge Case
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2012, 12:10:37 am »

Nice, that's nice.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2012, 12:41:56 am »

Nice, that's nice.

Totally unfair though.  :P

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2012, 12:52:17 am »

Solutions above using Counterfeit/Contraband already been that score, razorborne!
yeah but no one unbanned contraband.

Oh, you wanted Counterfeit but not Contraband.  I think you'd want to do something like

Council Room for big draw and +Buy.  Counterfeit other Counterfeits to get as much +Buy as possible.  Get a bunch of money from by ending Counterfeit chains with Venture, drawing all the other Ventures and then Banks.

chesskidnate

• Salvager
  • Respect: +30
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2012, 01:55:40 am »

Solutions above using Counterfeit/Contraband already been that score, razorborne!
yeah but no one unbanned contraband.

Oh, you wanted Counterfeit but not Contraband.  I think you'd want to do something like

Council Room for big draw and +Buy.  Counterfeit other Counterfeits to get as much +Buy as possible.  Get a bunch of money from by ending Counterfeit chains with Venture, drawing all the other Ventures and then Banks.
Interesting(and possibly irrelevant to this challenge) rules note. If you chain counterfeits you can still have them in play for bank since you're still in the midst of playing them the first time if you end the chains with banks.
Johnny psych profile- I want to prove the weak is strong and vice-versa... which means I build an engine with sticks and stones to watch it fail...
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.