Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Playtesting: Retort  (Read 1539 times)

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
Playtesting: Retort
« on: August 23, 2012, 05:26:44 pm »
+4

As with Aqua Vitae, I played a couple of test games against AIs to see how this card played.  As a reminder:

Retort
$4P - Action
+3 Cards
+1 Action
Discard a card.  If it is a Potion, +1 Action.

I played two games, one with no Villages where I loaded up on terminals and used Retort chains to draw Potions (I bought 3 total) to discard.  My terminals were Swindlers, Horse Traderses, and I think a Courtyard or two, and probably something else I'm forgetting.  Anyway, I wound up buying too many, as I did wind up with terminal clashes a bit more often than I'd have liked.  However, the Retorts were pretty good at giving me extra Actions when I had them; the card draw and the extra Potions generally meant that I had them to discard when necessary, though not always.

When I did not have a Potion to discard, I ALWAYS had something else I wouldn't miss -- Estates, usually.  Possibly a dead terminal once or twice, but basically just Estates, and then Provinces once I started buying those.

On my second game, I tried not bothering with multiple terminals at all.  I bought a kicker (Council Room, for the +Buy), two Potions total, and massed Retorts for a drawing engine.  Otherwise, I just bought Treasure and ultimately Provinces (once I only had $5 and so bought a Jester).  I was expecting the drawing engine to be too easy to set up, since the net +2 Cards with filtering is way better than Alchemist's flat +2 Cards.  But it was fine -- reasonably strong, but not too much at all.  I think this was because the Retorts were too expensive to mass, and of course they don't set themselves up for your next turn like Alchemists do.

So, so far, I am happy with this one and think it's pretty much spot-on.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
Re: Playtesting: Retort
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 08:51:33 pm »
+1

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 20 queries.