Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New launch date?  (Read 5127 times)

bedlam

• Bishop
  • Respect: +72
    • View Profile
New launch date?
« on: August 23, 2012, 07:08:08 am »

BGA has on their site that their Dominion will be removed now on September 14th. Makes me suspect a September 7th launch of Goko?.

Jive Junkie

• Spy
  • Respect: +58
    • View Profile
Re: New launch date?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 03:50:50 pm »

That sounds like a fairly reasonable deduction, though when it comes to software releases, it's all a big crapshoot in my experience.

However long the new beta will be, it's clear that it will be long enough for us to know that the original release was recklessly rushed out the door for marketing purposes (GenCon). Whatever bone-headed manager was responsible for that decision cost the company a lot of goodwill and credibility (active Javascript in chat window harharhar).

It's perhaps their saving grace that hardcore Dominion players of Isotropic and the like are addicted enough to seek out their fix even in the sketchiest of back alleys. :)

EDIT: and yes, I will be one of those guys in that alley, jonesin' for a fix. GIMME MY GOONS/WATCHTOWER! MY PRECIIOOOOOOOOUSSSSS!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 03:55:18 pm by Jive Junkie »

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 04:07:48 pm »
+3

That sounds like a fairly reasonable deduction, though when it comes to software releases, it's all a big crapshoot in my experience.

However long the new beta will be, it's clear that it will be long enough for us to know that the original release was recklessly rushed out the door for marketing purposes (GenCon). Whatever bone-headed manager was responsible for that decision cost the company a lot of goodwill and credibility (active Javascript in chat window harharhar).

It's perhaps their saving grace that hardcore Dominion players of Isotropic and the like are addicted enough to seek out their fix even in the sketchiest of back alleys. :)

EDIT: and yes, I will be one of those guys in that alley, jonesin' for a fix. GIMME MY GOONS/WATCHTOWER! MY PRECIIOOOOOOOOUSSSSS!

Goons / Watchtower is one specific combo that I personally despise playing on the goko interface.  When you pull it off, and then need to buy and trash all those coppers?  It's just a waste of minutes of life.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 04:34:17 pm »

Goons / Watchtower is one specific combo that I personally despise playing on the goko interface.  When you pull it off, and then need to buy and trash all those coppers?  It's just a waste of minutes of life.
Yeah. :( Although Goons/WT is a little painful even on isotropic (but less so).

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1676
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 04:37:45 pm »

It's not even close.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 04:41:19 pm »
+1

It's not even close.

I did the extreme example (geronimooo's buy everything in 10 turns).  With very fast animations - my final turn on funsockets took 5 minutes.  It's an extreme case, but any time you spend more than 10 seconds doing something that could be automated instead - it causes rage.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 04:57:48 pm »

Oh yeah, the Goons animation is just horrible on Goko. I thought you were referring to specifically the Goons/Watchtower interaction, which on isotropic requires the "click copper, click to reveal watchtower, click to trash it" motion once per buy, which is slightly annoying although not on the same level as needing to drag each copper to the trash.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 05:19:19 pm »

Goons anything sucks on Goko. But, Watchtower is even more painful because Goko is so tedious slow with both the Watchtower and Goons cards.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 07:07:04 pm »
+4

The most annoying thing with the interface is cards like Watchtower and Spy which force you to drag a card to a pile that's 1/20th the size of the card being dragged.  I'd argue that Spy is even  worse than Watchtower because it's very easy to accidentally drag it to the wrong pile.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 07:35:46 pm by Cave-o-sapien »

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 07:15:59 pm »

The most annoying thing with the interface is cards like Watchtower and Spy why force you to drag a card to a pile that's 1/20th the size of the card being dragged.  I'd argue that Spy is even  worse than Watchtower because it's very easy to accidentally drag it to the wrong pile.
This is why the Ascension app puts the trash in upper right, discard in lower right, deck in lower left. Most of the Goko interface layout is pretty good, so it's a little baffling why the deck and discard went right next to each other.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 07:24:23 pm »
+1

The most annoying thing with the interface is cards like Watchtower and Spy why force you to drag a card to a pile that's 1/20th the size of the card being dragged.  I'd argue that Spy is even  worse than Watchtower because it's very easy to accidentally drag it to the wrong pile.
This is why the Ascension app puts the trash in upper right, discard in lower right, deck in lower left. Most of the Goko interface layout is pretty good, so it's a little baffling why the deck and discard went right next to each other.

And I believe in Ascension you can just tap the pile you want it to go to, right?  You don't need to drag the card there.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 07:28:06 pm »

And I believe in Ascension you can just tap the pile you want it to go to, right?  You don't need to drag the card there.
You can either drag the card to where you want it to go, or you can double-tap the card then tap a button indicating where you want it to end up. (This interface is great on a tablet, but would be awful with a mouse, IMO.)

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 07:30:32 pm »

You can either drag the card to where you want it to go, or you can double-tap the card then tap a button indicating where you want it to end up. (This interface is great on a tablet, but would be awful with a mouse, IMO.)

Right you are. I just fired it up to test it out.  I like having the button option with the card zoomed in, it's a nice reminder of what you're doing with the card.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 07:34:09 pm »

Right you are. I just fired it up to test it out.  I like having the button option with the card zoomed in, it's a nice reminder of what you're doing with the card.
Yeah, I find I use drag for short distances and double-tap-then-button for long distances.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 21 queries.