Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Best set to mix with DA?  (Read 4612 times)

flip314

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
Best set to mix with DA?
« on: August 23, 2012, 03:26:30 am »

Played a couple DA-only games, and they're quite... complex.

Still want to see a good density of DA cards, so I was thinking of maybe picking it and one other set to mix randomizers with.  Any thoughts on what would work well?

Hinterlands is an obvious choice because it's one of my favorite sets, but it tends to favor large decks and DA seems to want trashing.

Base would certainly dilute the complexity, but maybe too much.

Intrigue by itself is not one one of my favorite sets.

Seaside has some interesting possibilities, I'd love to try ambassadoring rats...  haha.  Band of Misfits + Treasure Map would make for a fast game...

My first choice to try is prosperity though I think.  DA certainly changes the complexion of bishop (although may make it totally not worth it), KC is always fun, and a game with Mint/Counterfeit has serious possibilities.

Cornucopia gets an honorable mention.  Probably a fun combination, but I was thinking more of using a full-size expansion.  DA seems to reward diversity, so it's a natural fit.

Anyone else have thoughts?

Rhombus

• Bishop
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
Re: Best set to mix with DA?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 05:41:28 am »

Have you already played all the predesigned kingdoms in the rule book?  The handful I've played were pretty sweet - I'd do all of those first.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 08:37:05 am »
+1

Hinterlands can work perfectly fine with trimmed decks - have you ever tried a Stables/Fool's Gold engine?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Fuu

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: Fuu
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 10:34:02 am »

Hinterlands' on-gain effects would probably work well with Dark Ages but would do nothing to reduce the complexity of the kingdoms. Personally I would suggest that it's always good to have simpler cards available and they go well with everything, so Base is the best set to get with Dark Ages. The added bonus is that since you're buying the sets, you might end up playing with friends or family members who don't know the game or games in general so well. If you introduce them to the game with an all Dark Ages / Hinterlands kingdom, chances are they will find it too complex and not want to play anymore... Base would be the best way to introduce them to Dominion, as a gateway into Dark Ages.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 10:36:53 am »
+2

When I played, we did 5 DA cards and 5 random cards from any and all other sets. That worked pretty well.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Scissors61

• Salvager
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 06:40:25 pm »
+1

I know you said full size expansions, but I think Alchemy would be fun. Beggar/Phil Stone makes for a nice combo, and Fortress gives Apprentice infinite fuel, as long as they collide. But maybe it's just because I'm one of the three people in the world who likes Alchemy.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 09:19:19 pm »

I know you said full size expansions, but I think Alchemy would be fun. Beggar/Phil Stone makes for a nice combo, and Fortress gives Apprentice infinite fuel, as long as they collide. But maybe it's just because I'm one of the three people in the world who likes Alchemy.

I think Alchemy is fine as a set. I think the biggest weakness is pricing Familiar at $3P instead of $2P. It makes getting the first one a matter of luck more than anything. I know some people don't like the alternate costs of 10 of the cards, but I think that potion adds a level of strategic depth that most newer players can't appreciate.

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 11:40:37 am »

Hey, I'm one of those three!  Nice to finally meet you!  ;D

jmieden

• Baron
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 12:33:12 pm »

I've played a few (3-5) games with all the expansions and at least 3 DA cards, but greatly prefer playing with DA (4-6) + Base (2-4) + Intrigue (2-4) (I've played about 20 or so games this way). It's helped to see some of the more basic ways to combo them first before moving into the more complex sets.

I can't wait to see how it influences combos and strategies that we already know. This set is great!

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +937
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 01:17:41 pm »

I think Alchemy would have gone over so much better if it had followed Hinterlands and Dark Ages.  DA, especially, changes things up so much, introducing a number of exotic concepts.  I don't think Potions look so weird and unusual anymore.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 01:24:01 pm »
+1

I think Alchemy would have gone over so much better if it had followed Hinterlands and Dark Ages.  DA, especially, changes things up so much, introducing a number of exotic concepts.  I don't think Potions look so weird and unusual anymore.

It was originally supposed to.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 01:39:22 pm »

It was originally supposed to.

Yeah, he knows.

Scissors61

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 04:23:07 am »
+1

Hey, I'm one of those three!  Nice to finally meet you!  ;D
Hey, what's up? Now let's find that third guy and PARTY!

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2012, 04:29:47 am »
+1

Alchemy's pretty cool. I got nothing against it :)

Scissors61

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2012, 05:28:38 am »
+1

Alchemy's pretty cool. I got nothing against it :)
Found him! :P
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.