Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Gain ALL the Scouts!  (Read 1317 times)

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
Gain ALL the Scouts!
« on: August 22, 2012, 08:17:28 pm »
+3

Well, not quite all of them.  But seven of them!

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201208/22/game-20120822-170751-89f063ae.html

Cards in supply: Ambassador, Baron, Cutpurse, Duke, Feast, Ironworks, Jester, Potion, Scout, Vineyard, and Warehouse

So my plan here was basically to transition out of Ambassador tennis into a Vineyards deck stuffed with Warehouses and Scouts, with Ironworks to pick up more pieces and Baron for +Buy.  Also, since I actually like Estates, I don't care as much as I usually do about winning the Amb war- I just need a little Copper thinning, then Baron becomes the terminal of choice (and Ironworks to gain Potion).  The Scouts don't increase my handsize much, but with Warehouse do help cycle through a bit, and draw Estates to pair with Baron.  I probably could have played this better by gaining more Ironworks rather than Scouts in the midgame, ah well.

My opponent transitions into Jester-BM after the opening Ambassadors, which does hit me with a Curse or two and some Coppers but is less useful than it would be in a mirror match.  He might have done better to focus on Dukes rather than Provinces, but he probably needed to do both to be honest; eight Provinces can't outscore uncontested Duchy-Duke, but eight Vineyards can.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
Re: Gain ALL the Scouts!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 08:19:40 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201208/22/game-20120822-170751-89f063ae.html

Cards in supply: Ambassador, Baron, Cutpurse, Duke, Feast, Ironworks, Jester, Potion, Scout, Vineyard, and Warehouse

So my plan here was basically to transition out of Ambassador tennis into a Vineyards deck stuffed with Warehouses and Scouts, with Ironworks to pick up more pieces and Baron for +Buy.  Also, since I actually like Estates, I don't care as much as I usually do about winning the Amb war- I just need a little Copper thinning, then Baron becomes the terminal of choice (and Ironworks to gain Potion).  The Scouts don't increase my handsize much, but with Warehouse do help cycle through a bit, and draw Estates to pair with Baron.  I probably could have played this better by gaining more Ironworks rather than Scouts in the midgame, ah well.

My opponent transitions into Jester-BM after the opening Ambassadors, which does hit me with a Curse or two and some Coppers but is less useful than it would be in a mirror match.  He might have done better to focus on Dukes rather than Provinces, but he probably needed to do both to be honest; eight Provinces can't outscore uncontested Duchy-Duke, but eight Vineyards can.
Cool, would ignoring Ambassador here be better/faster?
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 08:43:13 pm »

Cool, would ignoring Ambassador here be better/faster?

I think my second Ambassador was a mistake, to be honest.  But my deck definitely wanted one to clear out Coppers (and possibly Jester-given Curses).   I think the best Ambassador-ignoring plan is to open Baron-Warehouse and gun for the Dukes ASAP, which I suspect would have possibly beaten my mistake-filled play here, but probably wouldn't beat a better-executed Vineyard strategy.  It's close though.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 10:40:10 pm »

I'm a little confused on the Baron addition to the deck.  Well not entirely as estates coming into your hand are a little more likely if you choose to ambassador all copper (which I agree) and have lots of scouts (which I agree again).  It also makes it easier to connect with warehouses to link things together. 

What I don't get is, what would you do with gaining the +$4 and/or running down the estate pile.  I would have chose to gain more ironworks (Say 4-5?) and they would be used to gain more actions instead of barons creating the $ to buy those same actions.  Although as I write this, I see that baron does make more use with the scout-made estate-grabbing-machine. 
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.