Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: No Card Left Untrashed  (Read 4482 times)

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
No Card Left Untrashed
« on: August 22, 2012, 05:59:05 pm »

What's the fewest cards you can have in the supply and in your deck at the end of a solitaire game if:

A) The game is just a regular Province Game
B) The game is a Colony game

The game end conditions are the same as usual.
The spoils pile and other such cards do not count as being in the supply, but if they are in your deck at the end of the game they do count.

You do not need to provide a full game log, or show every step (but you can if you want, Celestial Chameleon)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 02:06:57 am by NoMoreFun »

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
Re: No Card Left Untrashed
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 08:07:46 pm »
+1

How to end with 0 cards in deck:

Reduce the number of Mining Villages in the supply to 1 and empty two other supply piles. Get a Band of Misfits and two Mining Villages in your deck, using the BoM as a Chapel to trash everything else in your deck, so you have just three cards remaining.

Play a Mining Village, trashing it. Play the BoM as a Feast to gain a Mining Village (emptying the pile). Play another Mining Village, trashing it, to draw the Mining Village you just gained. Play the Mining Village, trashing it.

The final trash could also use a different self-trashing card, such as Embargo or Treasure Map.

Edit: Simplified a bit.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 08:10:51 pm by blueblimp »

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 08:15:10 pm »

Alternative method for 0 cards:

Reduce your deck to just Death Cart and some action cards. Trash them all with Death Cart. Then play Death Cart, and it trashes itself.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 08:19:56 pm »
+1

By the way, I think it was impossible to end a solitaire game with zero cards before Dark Ages, because there wasn't any card that could both trash cards of other names and trash itself. Now there are two. (Dame Anna gets an honourable mention, but she can only do it in non-solitaire games.)

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 08:22:57 pm »

How to end with 0 cards in deck:

Reduce the number of Mining Villages in the supply to 1 and empty two other supply piles. Get a Band of Misfits and two Mining Villages in your deck, using the BoM as a Chapel to trash everything else in your deck, so you have just three cards remaining.

Play a Mining Village, trashing it. Play the BoM as a Feast to gain a Mining Village (emptying the pile). Play another Mining Village, trashing it, to draw the Mining Village you just gained. Play the Mining Village, trashing it.

The final trash could also use a different self-trashing card, such as Embargo or Treasure Map.

Edit: Simplified a bit.

This reduces your deck to nothing, but there are heaps of cards left in the supply. The goal of the challenge is to get as much of the supply as possible into the trash before the game ends.

Very clever though.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 08:24:37 pm »

By the way, I think it was impossible to end a solitaire game with zero cards before Dark Ages, because there wasn't any card that could both trash cards of other names and trash itself. Now there are two. (Dame Anna gets an honourable mention, but she can only do it in non-solitaire games.)

Also you can use Hermit to trash other cards, then trash him to go mad and remove himself from the game.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 08:28:52 pm »

Also you can use Hermit to trash other cards, then trash him to go mad and remove himself from the game.
I don't think this can work, as the Hermit will try to gain a card costing up to $3, which means you would have needed to empty the Hermit, (edit: Silver,) Estate, Copper, and Curse piles first to avoid gaining one--which would have ended the game.

(Edit: Never mind, I think you can do some Mining Village/Feast silliness to empty the Hermit and Estate piles on your final turn, then use Hermit to trash itself and the Estate. Edit 2: Never mind the never mind, as Hermit can't trash Silver.)

Good point though that it fits the specific requirements of "can trash cards of other names and trash itself". So really there needs to be an additional requirement of "can avoid gaining a card when trashing itself".
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 08:34:32 pm by blueblimp »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 08:46:13 pm »

Hermit can't trash coppers, but it can trash some other card that can, and you can gain an embargo. Once that's done you can use the feast/mining village trick to end the game empty.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 08:48:45 pm »

Hermit can't trash coppers, but it can trash some other card that can, and you can gain an embargo. Once that's done you can use the feast/mining village trick to end the game empty.
Nice, somehow I forgot the gain-an-Embargo-then-play-it trick in between my first post and my previous post.  :-[

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 08:52:02 pm »

The challenge is now, can we end with 0 cards in deck AND 0 cards in the supply?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 09:38:38 pm »

The challenge is now, can we end with 0 cards in deck AND 0 cards in the supply?

If it's possible, it would be tough.

The game ends if 3 piles are empty.  At the very least there are 17 piles (10 Kingdom, 3 treasures, 3 VP, Curse).  You can empty 2 and then have 1 card left in 15 piles.

To have 0 cards in Supply you'll need to empty them all on the last turn.  But to have 0 cards in your Deck as well, you'd need to trash them all on the same turn you gain them.  I believe this is impossible.

You can't buy them.  The only way to trash cards as you buy them is with Watchtower (or I suppose Trader when Silvers are out), but then you have at least Watchtower in your hand (and you would also have whatever cards are in play that enable you to buy 15 things).

You can't easily gain them either, because then you have to PLAY gainers.  You'd have to use a self-trashing gainer, i.e. Feast or BoM-as-Feast.

This is roadblock already.  I don't think there is a way to gain the last Province with a self-trasher.  You'd need cost reducers in play, and in play means not trashed.

Looking past that, how would you trash gained cards anyway?  You can't use a regular trasher because then it ends up in play.  Watchtower maybe?  But then how do you trash the Watchtower afterwards without leaving something in play?

I don't think it's possible.  But maybe I'm overlooking something.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 09:51:37 pm »

When you put it like that, it sounds almost possible. :P

(Edit: Errr or would be if Feast could gain any card in the supply.  :-[)

Use Mining Villages, Feasts, and BoM copies of those to gain the last card from every supply pile, trashing as you go with a Watchtower, except when gaining MV/Feast/BoM. Finish up by using a Hermit or Death Cart to trash the Watchtower, which then self-trashes. Since there are 17 supply piles and you'd start the turn with 2 empty, you only need 15 Feast plays to pull this off, then a play of Death Cart. That needs 15 Mining Village plays for the actions. This is OK because there are 10 BoMs.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 09:52:38 pm by blueblimp »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 09:53:47 pm »

Use Mining Villages, Feasts, and BoM copies of those to gain the last card from every supply pile, trashing as you go with a Watchtower, except when gaining MV/Feast/BoM. Finish up by using a Hermit or Death Cart to trash the Watchtower, which then self-trashes. Since there are 17 supply piles and you'd start the turn with 2 empty, you only need 15 Feast plays to pull this off, then a play of Death Cart. That needs 15 Mining Village plays for the actions. This is OK because there are 10 BoMs.

But how do you trash the Watchtower?  Hermit can't do it because Watchtower is in your hand, not your discard.  If you use Death Cart to trash it, Death Cart will not self-trash.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 09:55:08 pm »

But how do you trash the Watchtower?  Hermit can't do it because Watchtower is in your hand, not your discard.  If you use Death Cart to trash it, Death Cart will not self-trash.
Oh yeah, Death Cart won't work. Hermit can trash from hand.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 10:20:42 pm »

Oh yeah, Death Cart won't work. Hermit can trash from hand.

Oh whoa.  I missed that.  Hermit is even better at trashing than I thought.  :o
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.238 seconds with 20 queries.