Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: People that make me feel inferior  (Read 15953 times)

Jfrisch

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
People that make me feel inferior
« on: August 22, 2012, 12:11:41 pm »

CC, Terry Tao, etc...

Name whoever makes you feel like you're ridiculously inferior?

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
Re: People that make me feel inferior
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 12:21:21 pm »
+6

Warning: do not Wikipedia "Terry Tao" unless you are prepared to feel very mathematically inadequate.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 12:32:03 pm »
+1

Warning: do not Wikipedia "Terry Tao" unless you are prepared to feel very mathematically inadequate.

So he scored better than me on my math SAT when he was 8 years old? I'm going to go sit in the corner and contemplate where my life has taken me for a bit.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 12:50:31 pm »
+1

Makes me think of this somewhat sad comic.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 01:11:19 pm »

So he scored better than me on my math SAT when he was 8 years old? I'm going to go sit in the corner and contemplate where my life has taken me for a bit.
I think its more of a testament to how awesome some people are than anything. It doesn't make you any less awesome. Granted, I don't really care about math / my math achievements dont really affect my sense of self worth, but personally I found his wikipedia page nothing but inspiring and awesome.

// surprisingly hard to word that in a way that makes any sense.

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 04:17:16 pm »
+7

Frankly, that's probably the least impressive thing on his resume.

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 04:38:04 pm »

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 09:53:28 am by () | (_) ^/ »

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 04:46:27 pm »
+3

Frankly, that's probably the least impressive thing on his resume.

Yeah... I TOTALLY beat his score.

Of course, I was double his age... and I cheated.

(actually, I'm kidding about one of those things)

Wow, you cheated and still couldn't beat his score? Sorry to hear that.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 12:35:53 pm »
+1

Bwahahaha, I got a 800 on the math SAT *and* SAT II.  I will assume that I'm beating him in every other area too.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 02:17:24 pm »
+1

Bwahahaha, I got a 800 on the math SAT *and* SAT II.  I will assume that I'm beating him in every other area too.

Well I'm sure you're beating him in humility at least...

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25709
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 02:26:30 pm »
+9

I always think of a Tom Lehrer line: "It's a sobering thought that when Mozart was my age, he'd been dead for three years."

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 02:29:42 pm »

Well I'm sure you're beating him in humility at least...
Of course, I'm the world champion in humility. Humblest guy you'll ever meet.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 02:33:48 pm »
+1

I like to call this sort of thing Salieri syndrome (I had recently watched Amadeus when I came up with this).  It's where you try your utter damnedest to be good at something, because you want to be the best at this thing more than anything in the world, and then someone (usually younger) comes along and is absolutely brilliant at your thing without even trying, and doesn't seem to care that they're the best.  Their closet is probably full of awards that are just slowly tarnishing.  "Oh, another Pulitzer/Oscar/Grammy/Nobel.  In the bin it goes!"
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 03:17:39 pm »
+1

I like to call this sort of thing Salieri syndrome (I had recently watched Amadeus when I came up with this).  It's where you try your utter damnedest to be good at something, because you want to be the best at this thing more than anything in the world, and then someone (usually younger) comes along and is absolutely brilliant at your thing without even trying, and doesn't seem to care that they're the best.  Their closet is probably full of awards that are just slowly tarnishing.  "Oh, another Pulitzer/Oscar/Grammy/Nobel.  In the bin it goes!"

I have come to realize that this made for a great movie, but is never, ever true in real life.  The best 10 in the world at X, where X is just about anything, worked extremely hard to get there and fully appreciate their success.

Turambar

• Baron
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 05:34:31 pm »

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
  • Respect: +236
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2012, 04:27:08 pm »

I have come to realize that this made for a great movie, but is never, ever true in real life.  The best 10 in the world at X, where X is just about anything, worked extremely hard to get there and fully appreciate their success.

I dunno. I've been top 10 in the world at something before. (sumo in Armagetron Advanced, but whatever. I worked hard.) And I still remember how crushing it was to realize that I'd pretty much reached my peak, and there were still a couple people just flat-out better than I was or would ever be.
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2012, 06:25:15 pm »
+4

There will always be people better than me at something, with 7 billion people it's kind of hard to be number one.

But I'm going to be number one dad to my baby Noah and that's all I care about at the moment.  :D

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

sherwinpr

• Spy
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2012, 08:48:28 pm »

Toward the end of the movie, there are certainly scenes (or at least one scene) where Salieri realizes that Mozart does in fact also put in much hard work, at least when working on some of his pieces.  But I'm inclined to agree that in creative and competitive endeavors, the best 10 all probably worked extremely hard, it doesn't mean they were the ten hardest working, but they were probably among the hardest working, nonetheless.  I think people at Salieri's talent level inevitably exist in many fields.  They do passably good work, and are even admired by some, but know that compared to the best of the best they are mediocrities; that said, not all of them are upset by this, and many lead fulfilling lives, and find additional fulfillment outside of their area of talent.

It goes without saying that I'm referring to the characters as written in the play/movie, and not the actual historic individuals; I really don't know what Salieri was like as a person, nor how good his music was.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2012, 12:30:13 am »
+1

Toward the end of the movie, there are certainly scenes (or at least one scene) where Salieri realizes that Mozart does in fact also put in much hard work, at least when working on some of his pieces.  But I'm inclined to agree that in creative and competitive endeavors, the best 10 all probably worked extremely hard, it doesn't mean they were the ten hardest working, but they were probably among the hardest working, nonetheless.  I think people at Salieri's talent level inevitably exist in many fields.  They do passably good work, and are even admired by some, but know that compared to the best of the best they are mediocrities; that said, not all of them are upset by this, and many lead fulfilling lives, and find additional fulfillment outside of their area of talent.

It goes without saying that I'm referring to the characters as written in the play/movie, and not the actual historic individuals; I really don't know what Salieri was like as a person, nor how good his music was.

P.S. He taught Schubert, Beethoven, and Liszt.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 12:31:52 am by werothegreat »
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2012, 08:06:33 am »
+1

*Internet High Five*
A man on a mission.

RichardNixon

• Spy
  • Respect: +21
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2012, 05:06:30 pm »

I apparently went to the same JHU summer program that Tao did, but I have less to show for it... aced my math GRE at least but that's not very hard.

Check out this fellow though: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Ung-yong
"If we do not succeed, we run the risk of failure."
~ Dan Quayle

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2012, 05:18:14 pm »

aced my math GRE at least but that's not very hard.

I suspect the math GRE might actually be easier than the math SAT.  The verbal part's a lot harder, though.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2012, 05:22:24 pm »

I suspect the math GRE might actually be easier than the math SAT.  The verbal part's a lot harder, though.

This was my experience. But I did spend my entire undergrad as an engineer sharpening my math skills and completely neglecting my language ones.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
  • Respect: +236
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2012, 05:25:14 pm »
+2

i got a 23 on the putnam the one time i took it

woo
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2012, 06:17:06 pm »
+1

This was my experience. But I did spend my entire undergrad as an engineer sharpening my math skills and completely neglecting my language ones.

That was my experience as a goddamn English major.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 20 queries.