Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Community Game Design Contest  (Read 9311 times)

Matt_Arnold

• Thief
  • Designer of "Overworld" by Magic Meeple Games.
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
Re: Community Created Game
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2012, 06:53:56 pm »

It seems like this should be a contest. Each entry would be an example of what DXV called mechanic and flavor, but leaving off what he called the data. The community element would not be design by committee, but rather a declaration that the winning game will officially permit and encourage fan content and free online implementations for the benefit of the whole community.

I would like to take this opportunity to announce that if this contest is held, not only would I enter it, I have an entry that I strongly suspect this community would select as its winner. I have been holding off talking about it, but I developed it with the idea of introducing it to members of this forum. (It is not the game Minion is publishing next year. It's one I have kept just among my friends so far.)

In any case, I am an artist and would definitely consider creating layout and illustrations for whichever game wins.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2012, 07:00:24 pm »
+1

I feel like these projects tend to always falter on execution.  It is way, way easier to come up with ideas than to implement those ideas.  Any sufficiently experienced board gamer has come up with at least several ideas for board games, but it takes a lot more than ideas to make a good game.

fprefect

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2012, 07:31:16 pm »

Ok,

regarding the contest I see two possible aims here:

- Make a contest in order to get the best possible game idea out of the community including what people have in the drawer (I can feel that many might hesitate here to contribute for different reasons)

- Make a contest which is fun to attend. This would mean, that by setting up the rules we make it very hard to come up with something already made and force people to be creative within limited time. The results might not be as good, but it might be more fun to attend.

To be honest, the first one does not seem to interesting for me at least, because probably most here have probably something lying around and would just send it in. What I want is people discussing their ideas, forming teams, competing.

What I would need for this is people who are interested to attend, people willing to be in the jury and ideas to make it a challenging task. Think of it as one of those independent video game challenges, where they develop within 48 hours or so. Depending on the resonance I will start a poll soon.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2012, 07:36:32 pm »
+1

+1 for the HHGTTG handle
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2012, 07:47:50 pm »

How about we let individuals do what individuals do well, and let groups do what groups do well.  We have individuals or small groups make complete rulesets - develop a game from scratch - and the rough equivalent of a "Base" dominion in expansion material.  Whichever one wins gets the effort of the community to develop more expanding material - something a democracy can accomplish.  And we playtest it - definitely a democracy's strong suit.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2012, 04:36:06 am »

(As with most people here I expect) I have had loads of good idea's for board games (whittled down through various phases to a few excellent ones),  some would work really well with online implementation
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

fprefect

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
Re: Community Game Design Contest
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2012, 05:07:26 am »

added a poll...

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2012, 01:20:01 pm »

(As with most people here I expect) I have had loads of good idea's for board games (whittled down through various phases to a few excellent ones),  some would work really well with online implementation
I have ideas, but no good ones.  I'm either a lesser being than you, or more self critical.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.