Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8  All

Author Topic: Fantasy (American) football?  (Read 41112 times)

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
Re: Fantasy (American) football?
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2012, 06:47:04 pm »

It looks like an auction draft as it is right now?

I've never done fantasy football before and would second HME's suggestions (though I am clueless about FAAB)

Tdog

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +133
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2012, 06:51:11 pm »

I just joined and looked over the league settings. I think we out to just play standard settings, especially if there are people who have never played before. Making passing TDs worth more points will cause people who are just reading about general fantasy strategy to be confused and undervalue QBs relative to RBs. And 3 points for blocked kicks is just random.

I'm also interested in hearing opinions about FAAB.

I agree on all counts. I think FAAB is better for people that have played, but if you are reading general advice it is usually catered towards unlimited, free, pickups. I think that would be better in this case.

Tdog

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2012, 06:56:26 pm »

It looks like an auction draft as it is right now?

I've never done fantasy football before and would second HME's suggestions (though I am clueless about FAAB)

FAAB is that when you go to pick up players that are not owned, instead of it being a "first come first serve basis, you have a budget during the year to spend on these players. At the begging of every week, everyone blindly submits an amount they want to bid on a player. The person with the highest bid gets the player. The main difference between this and conventional pickups is that you only have one chance a week to add players, and you have to stay within your budget, and thus don't have unlimited pickups.

ebEliminator

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2012, 07:42:09 pm »

I'm open to changing the waiver rules, I just think FAAB fits in more with the idea of an auction league.

I prefer 6/-2 to 4/-1 for passing TDs/INTs because that's how it was when I started playing fantasy football (in 2002). I just feel 4 points for passing TDs is wonky.

Tdog: Actually, with FAAB, you can pick up players as much as you want after the waiver period, and they're free, the only drawback is that they have to clear waivers first.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 07:48:06 pm by ebEliminator »

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2012, 08:01:48 pm »

I'd prefer to do a regular draft, but am happy to oblige the more experienced fantasy footballers.

Tdog

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2012, 08:12:29 pm »

I would vote regular draft, no FAAB and 4 points per TD

ebEliminator

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2012, 08:15:35 pm »

I wouldn't be opposed to running two leagues, one for auction, and one for good ol' snake draft.

BTW, I changed blocked kicks back to 2 points, since they're just turnovers. I have logic as to why safeties should be 4 points in fantasy football (2 "real" points + 2 "fantasy" points for the turnover), but I think that would be too radical to implement here.

ebEliminator

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2012, 08:22:17 pm »

Dominion Strategy League is now open.
ID: 651949
Password: Hoard

12 teams, completely unchanged standard settings.

The Black Market (auction league) is still open.
ID: 644614
Password: Tunnel

12 teams, also reverted to completely standard settings.

Free free to join one or both.

Tdog

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2012, 08:27:30 pm »

When is the draft for the standard league?

ebEliminator

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2012, 08:34:45 pm »

Thursday, August 30, 7:00 pm Central.

(I've already drafts on the final Friday, Saturday, and Sunday of preseason, and some of you may actually have lives, that's why I'm hitting weekdays)

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2012, 01:46:59 am »

I prefer 6/-2 to 4/-1 for passing TDs/INTs because that's how it was when I started playing fantasy football (in 2002). I just feel 4 points for passing TDs is wonky.

It's "wonky" in the sense that from some perspective TDs should all be worth 6 points? But technically, the QB never gets into the endzone, so he doesn't score any points. If you look at the "points" statistic kept by the NFL, they get none for a passing TD (the receiver gets 6). The points awarded for fantasy are just to give some value to something they do. 4 points is 100 yards passing, which seems reasonable. In 2002, Yahoo fantasy football scoring was terrible. Not only were passing TDs 6 points, but rushing/receiving yards were 0.05 instead of 0.1, so 1 passing TD was as good as 120 rushing/receiving yards. Good luck getting that out of a player on a consistent basis. So then you just had Peyton Manning and Daunte Culpepper on god status, and other good productive players like Tiki Barber worth absolutely nothing. In 2002, on ESPN leagues, it was already 0.1 points per rush/receiving yards and 4 points per passing TD. Yahoo eventually switched over because it just made more sense.

ebEliminator

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2012, 05:18:08 am »

I agree, .1 per rushing/receiving yard makes more sense, but by thatlogic, receiving and rushing TDs would be worth 10, and return touchdowns would be worth nothing.

I feel that at 6/-2/(.04/yard), QBs are balanced by being able to score for more TDs, but for their yards not counting as much.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2012, 11:36:00 pm »

I agree, .1 per rushing/receiving yard makes more sense, but by thatlogic, receiving and rushing TDs would be worth 10, and return touchdowns would be worth nothing.

I feel that at 6/-2/(.04/yard), QBs are balanced by being able to score for more TDs, but for their yards not counting as much.

No, rushing and receiving TDs are worth 6 because TDs are worth 6 in actual football. Passing TDs are worth 0 points, so you can assign an arbitrary value to them. Fantasy football has been around for a couple decades now, and people have generally settled on 4 points being a reasonable value for them. 6 is fine too (though it basically makes QBs outscore every other position by a lot), and people do it, but I feel that if you're trying to get random people to play with you, it seems to make more sense to stick with what is standard.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2012, 11:46:54 pm »

(I've already drafts on the final Friday, Saturday, and Sunday of preseason, and some of you may actually have lives, that's why I'm hitting weekdays)
Works for me, although I'd prefer it slightly later in the day.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2012, 11:48:23 pm »

Keeping everything standard is probably a must, especially since we're drafting just a week.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

bozzball

• Bishop
  • Respect: +68
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2012, 08:19:38 am »

Works for me, although I'd prefer it slightly later in the day.
And I'd prefer slightly earlier in the day.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2012, 08:36:34 am »

Need m0hr people.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Tdog

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2012, 09:47:29 am »

Signed up for the standard league

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2012, 09:52:27 am »

Are there multiple leagues?
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Tdog

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2012, 09:55:57 am »

Are there multiple leagues?

I'm in the Dominion Strategy league, there is 6 of us right now. There is also the black market (auction) league.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2012, 12:23:27 pm »

It might be better to consolidate into one league if there's not enough people (there's 4 in Black Market now). But then there's the issue of draft time. I can't make the draft time of the Dominion Strategy league, and I'm sure there are people with the reverse problem.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2012, 12:26:03 pm »

I'm interested and will join when not on a work computer. I think it would be far better to just combine leagues that split the leagues into two small ones. People will just have to come to an agreement on the draft - there's clearly not enough interest for two leagues.

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2012, 03:58:03 pm »

I'm up for the standard league.  Not because I'm afraid of auctions (I've never done one, but I'd like to try someday), but mainly because the draft time for the standard league actually probably works for me, and there's no guarantee that other times will.  (And if for whatever reason I have to miss the draft, it's less disastrous for a standard league).

Will sign up later today.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2012, 06:59:17 am »

Ok, i joined.

But the time will be 1am in the morning for me by the looks of it, so no guarantee I can be up at that time.

Is there a way i can set the player priority I want and then it auto picks the highest available them?

And also, am I restricted to certain number of players per position?
So for example I need 1 QB, 2 tight Ends, 1 Kicker, 5 of the fat guys in the middle, etc...
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

ebEliminator

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2012, 08:25:26 am »

Ozie: Yes, there will be a way for you to pre-rank players if you can't make the draft. Go to "My Team", then in the box where it says how long until the draft, it'll give you a link to the Pre-Draft Player Rankings. Also, you don't need any offensive linemen for fantasy football. They're only necessary to protect the skill guys. :)

Everyone else: It won't hurt to leave the Black Market open for now, but I'll definitely delete it if it doesn't get 10 teams by about a day or two before the draft.

Also, thanks to everyone who joined! There are 7 in the standard draft league, and 5 in the auction. I'm hoping for 12 in the standard and 10 in the auction, but I'll run at 10 for either.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 08:26:59 am by ebEliminator »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 20 queries.