Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: keep track of the actions/buys/money on real game  (Read 2578 times)

wrathofmine

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
keep track of the actions/buys/money on real game
« on: August 21, 2012, 03:52:16 am »
+2

When you play IRL it's important to find ways to keep track of how many actions are left, how much money the player have with his actions etc...
It's a challenge when a player play king's court / kings court / pawn / minion / nobles.

what we do is :
- making a tree with actions: if there is only one action under your village you've still got one action left with that village. (when I play one isotropic I still visualize my cards like that to keep track of my actions in my head)
- turning 90° the duration card at the clean up. Next turn's clean up we will know which one have been played last turn or now
- when minion chain (without throne room/KC) we put the "discard your hand" ones on another column, to be sure we don't count $ for those afterwards.
- we recap orally how many $ and buys are on the table before we play the money

For the rest it's memory but I think with the coming of dark ages we can have games that will be harder to follow : procession / kings court / pawn / merchant ship for example. I don't know how we're going to put that on the table and keep visual for next turn.

Do you have some tricks to follow certain steps during someones' turn  ? do you play differently your cards on the table?

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
Re: keep track of the actions/buys/money on real game
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 03:58:01 am »

Sometimes we get out embargo tokens or pirate ship tokens and use them to keep track of coins/buys. Only happens with like King's Court/Pawn games so far.

scotjn1

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 08:39:23 am »

A while back I threw together a rudimentary Android app to help track +buys and +coins during the action phase.  (Actions are easy enough to keep in your head if you say "X actions remaining" after each action card.)  If anyone's interested, I'll clean up the labels a little and post the .apk.  I'm not an Android developer so it is absolutely bare-bones and not fancy, but it gets the job done.

zporiri

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: zporiri
  • Go, and do likewise.
  • Respect: +130
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 11:04:13 am »

for keeping track of actions, i keep a running count as i play my cards from left to right. if i play a village, i add 1 to the number, a terminal i subtract one from the other, and a regular cantrip (i.e. market, spy), the number stays the same. i find it helpful to say outloud as i play cards in engines decks how many actions i have left.

for KC, i make a tree. so if KC a KC, then i branch off 3 ways from the most recent KC, and play each action 3 times. if i play another KC, i start a new branch, and work my way backwards as i finish that KC.

for minions, it can be easy to forget which ones i play for money and which i play for the discard. for this i still play my actions left to right, but the ones i play for money i play them about an inch higher, so when my turn is over it is easy to count up how much money i accumulated from the minions.
Go, and do likewise.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 20 queries.