Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Cards that DA makes fun again  (Read 6186 times)

Loschmidt

• Golem
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
Cards that DA makes fun again
« on: August 20, 2012, 11:49:56 pm »

We've all talked about cards that recieve a power boost from DA, but I'm always more interested in fun than just winning. So what old cards are you excited about trying with DA just for the fun of it?

I always feel kind of a dick building a Saboteur deck if the only purpose is to hurt my opponents, but with Rogue/Grave Robber interactions it is also constructive. Similarly my housemates might grumble less about Swindler openings when they see the interesting Forager interactions. I love double type cards so its good to see something care about types again, Ironmonger will mean i'll be happy to see Great Hall, Nobles and Harem again.

Wait a minute I can Rebuild Feodums into Harems and get 3 silvers for my trouble?!? Hot damn!

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
Re: Cards that DA makes fun again
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 12:55:26 am »

I'm looking forward to Scavenger/Stash because I almost never ever buy Stash. The only time I do is on money boards, and I hit $5 instead of $6 and Royal Seal nor Venture are present. So, in other words, I almost never buy Stash.

Loschmidt

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 01:28:50 am »
+2

I'm looking forward to Scavenger/Stash because I almost never ever buy Stash. The only time I do is on money boards, and I hit $5 instead of $6 and Royal Seal nor Venture are present. So, in other words, I almost never buy Stash.

Oh yeah Stash! I want to use Stash/Mystic. Every reshuffle put 5 cards/Stash/5 cards/Stash. If you have no other drawing you can use your Mystic to pick up a Stash guaranteed. Slow, cumbersome, and probably ineffective, just my kind of combo :D

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 08:43:03 am »
+1

Beggar/Counting House
Mystic/Scout
Bandit Camp/Watchtower
Band of Misfits/Cheap engine parts
Procession/Moneylender
Squire/Steward
Death Cart/Ambassador
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Hockey Mask

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 09:50:49 am »

Rats!

Whether my opponent has his deck swallowed or he trounces me...it will be a good time.
-The Compulsive Completist

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 10:44:43 am »
+2

Also, I keep seeing the title as "Cards that MAKE Dark Ages fun again," and then I think "But it just came out...  how is it already not fun?"
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Zaphod

• Thief
  • Do you know where your towel is?
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 01:36:46 pm »

I think all the trashers will get a boost from this set.  Even the lowly Transmute might get some action.

I really want to see Feodum and Trader in the same set.  With enough Feodums, one might even trash a Colony.

Rats/Remake is potentially awesome with a good $5 card in the set.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 01:48:04 pm »
+1

I think all the trashers will get a boost from this set.  Even the lowly Transmute might get some action.

I really want to see Feodum and Trader in the same set.  With enough Feodums, one might even trash a Colony.

One trashed Colony would boost your Feodums potentially by 4 points.  Two Colonies is a guaranteed 7 point increase.  What I would do would be to get 3 Colonies (as well as as many of the Feodums as possible), and have them in in hand with a Trader and King's Court.  All your Feodums are now guaranteed to be worth more than a Colony, and you don't need to worry about colliding anymore.  Just use your Silvers to empty piles, maybe some Duchies/Provinces.

EDIT: Wait - are there even 33 Silvers in the pile?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 01:49:18 pm by werothegreat »

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 03:46:14 pm »

There are 40 Silvers in a 2p game on Isotropic.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 10:12:11 pm »
+1

Sure, but so is Remake by itself.

Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 11:34:30 pm »

EDIT: Wait - are there even 33 Silvers in the pile?

There are 40 Silvers in a 2p game on Isotropic.

To add to this, the Intrigue rules say that you may combine the basic Treasures from base and Intrigue into one pile, and not just for 5-6 players. So with those two, your Silver pile could reach 80 cards, or 120 with the Base Cards-only set, or as many as you want if you buy more than one set of Base Cards.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Varsinor

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 06:57:21 am »

Oh yeah Stash! I want to use Stash/Mystic. Every reshuffle put 5 cards/Stash/5 cards/Stash. If you have no other drawing you can use your Mystic to pick up a Stash guaranteed. Slow, cumbersome, and probably ineffective, just my kind of combo :D

Nice idea. Can also Work with Stash + Wishing Well! Both combos are certainly not especially powerful, but may be worth a shot when you have Stash plus Mystic or Wishing Well in your deck anyway.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 12:05:12 pm »

Nice idea. Can also Work with Stash + Wishing Well! Both combos are certainly not especially powerful, but may be worth a shot when you have Stash plus Mystic or Wishing Well in your deck anyway.

I don't think it will work out.  Say you follow 5 cards/stash/5 cards/stash.

You draw your first hand of 5 and you have a Mystic.  Sweet!  Now you can pull that Stash in.  All good.  Clean-up phase you draw your next hand of 5.  This time, you don't have a Mystic.  Doh!  Clean-up phase, you draw Stash and 4 other cards.  There is a Mystic in your hand this time!  But the next Stash is now second from the top, not at the top.

As soon as you miss Mystic, the chain breaks down.  It could whiff after your very first draw after the reshuffle.  Not to mention interference from other draw cards that are probably available.

It would be fun if it worked, but I think you'd be better served by buying more Mystics or other $5 cards than messing with Stash.

It gets even more difficult to space out with Wishing Well, since WW draws first.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +937
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 01:01:29 pm »
+4

Although all trashers get a boost from Dark Ages, I think Lookout might have one of the more fun boosts, just because you never know what you're going to draw with it, and that, in turn, ramps up the fun factor.  (In the same way, I love Golem, Adventurer, and Black Market.)

For example, Lookout/Fortress.  If Lookout draws a Fortress, trash it and put it in your hand, then play it to draw the card Lookout puts back.  Sweet, right?  Whether or not it's a power combo, it'll be fun to play.

Varsinor

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 01:20:05 pm »

@eHalcyon:
As I said I agree that this is no power combo at all. But at least something to keep in mind to slightly improve your play (which I hadn't so far). If you happen to have a Stash because there is no good $5 or $4 alternative around and you also have one or more Wishing Wells, then it seems to be a good idea to put your Stash on 7th position after reshuffle. (I don't see why the fact that Wishing Well draws first would make it more difficult, just put Stash one position later.)
True, it gets more difficult to execute with more than one Stash (regardless if with Mystic or Wishing Well). But even with more than one Stash, there is an above average chance to connect it when putting it on, say, 12th position - just because you know the position of one of your cards for sure.

You are probably right that because Stash is so weak overall, you usually (if there is no Scavenger or Chancellor) don't want Stashes when Mystic is around as a $5 alternative. But at least one Stash might be good if you already have a few Mystics and there is no better $5 around.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 01:22:16 pm by Varsinor »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2012, 01:31:49 pm »

@eHalcyon:
As I said I agree that this is no power combo at all. But at least something to keep in mind to slightly improve your play (which I hadn't so far). If you happen to have a Stash because there is no good $5 or $4 alternative around and you also have one or more Wishing Wells, then it seems to be a good idea to put your Stash on 7th position after reshuffle. (I don't see why the fact that Wishing Well draws first would make it more difficult, just put Stash one position later.)
True, it gets more difficult to execute with more than one Stash (regardless if with Mystic or Wishing Well). But even with more than one Stash, there is an above average chance to connect it when putting it on, say, 12th position - just because you know the position of one of your cards for sure.

You are probably right that because Stash is so weak overall, you usually (if there is no Scavenger or Chancellor) don't want Stashes when Mystic is around as a $5 alternative. But at least one Stash might be good if you already have a few Mystics and there is no better $5 around.

The issue isn't counting down the right number of spots.  It's getting WW in the right hand, just above your Stash.  And yeah, I think it would be more difficult to coordinate multiples using WW as opposed to Mystic.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2012, 04:08:11 pm »

Heck, with all that trashing, even Transmute can be good.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Loschmidt

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2012, 05:24:21 pm »
+1

@eHalcyon:

The issue isn't counting down the right number of spots.  It's getting WW in the right hand, just above your Stash.  And yeah, I think it would be more difficult to coordinate multiples using WW as opposed to Mystic.

I'm not sure that mystic/stash will be better than ww/stash. I spent an a afternoon on isotropic trying to get ww/stash to work and it does, but slowly. It is much easier to get heaps of wws. If you open ww/ww and only buy ww and stash you can go alright. when you reshuffle you leave 6/stash/1/stash. It is much easier to get get multiple copies of stash this way.

In the end this is a really complex way to make a lab that always draws silver. much easier to buy lab and silver
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 21 queries.