Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Rats: weak? Maybe, but what CAN they do?  (Read 13404 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Re: Rats: weak? Maybe, but what CAN they do?
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2012, 02:15:47 pm »
+2

There's no denying what Rats can do if you turn it around as an Attack card.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it were one, or some form of it, somewhere during its history.

There's nothing it can do that a regular curse wouldn't have done better. Getting one into an opponent's deck doesn't force them to ever play it.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2012, 02:31:03 pm »

There's no denying what Rats can do if you turn it around as an Attack card.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it were one, or some form of it, somewhere during its history.

There's nothing it can do that a regular curse wouldn't have done better. Getting one into an opponent's deck doesn't force them to ever play it.

Usually true, but not always.  You can mess with their Golems.  You can also get in the way of their Sages and Farming Villages, when Curse wouldn't.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2012, 02:49:09 pm »
+6

Usually true, but not always.  You can mess with their Golems.  You can also get in the way of their Sages and Farming Villages, when Curse wouldn't.

Dominion community - #1 in expressly finding edge cases for everything.

trunks_402

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2012, 03:13:09 pm »

Just thinking out loud: with 1 Bishop and all Rats for the rest of your hand, you could guarantee 3VP every turn (trash a Rat, buy a copper or curse, keep playing Rats until you hit the Bishop, eat up any coppers/curses along the way, rinse and repeat), until the Rats run out (but that's too slow).

With 2 Bishops and 1 or more Worker's Villages and Rats for the rest of your hand, then your play could be:

1) Your hand is Bishop only + Rats: Trash a Rat for 3VP, buy a copper or a curse.
2) Your hand is Worker's Village + Rats: play it and get a +buy, keep playing Rats until you hit both (or more) Bishops: 6VP, buy 2 or more coppers to feed your Rats.
3) Your hand is all Rats: keep playing Rats until you get to 1) or 2).

You could collect at least 3VP every turn until all the Rats run out.  If you managed to trash all 20 Rats that's 60VP.  With 2 Bishops in play you could conceivably buy out all the estates along with the Rats and Curses for 3-pile.

Pawn and Hamlet would also work well for this to get +Buy.  You'd never need to buy a $5 card.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 03:19:34 pm by trunks_402 »

Squidd

• Golem
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2012, 03:21:53 pm »
+1

In 2) and 3), how are you planning to keep the rats from eating your Bishop/WV as soon as you draw it?

trunks_402

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2012, 03:24:40 pm »

In 2) and 3), how are you planning to keep the rats from eating your Bishop/WV as soon as you draw it?

Aack ... never mind, you're right.

Zaphod

• Thief
  • Do you know where your towel is?
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2012, 04:56:09 pm »

Death Cart... anyone?

When I read the Dark Ages rules for the first time, I laughed out loud at one point.  My wife asked why and I told her, "I just think it's funny that a card called Death Cart could combo so well with a card called Rats."  Bring out your dead!

platykurtic

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2012, 07:03:16 pm »
+4

I truly look forward to when I finally manage to ambassador a rats to an unsuspecting opponent relying on golem. What a hilarious and thematic way to completely destroy someone else's strategy! They've got a golem, but you've catapulted some rats into their city and now the stupid golem keeps feeding the rats, causing them to take over everything.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.