Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Interesting article on Goko launch  (Read 25949 times)

polonkus

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
Interesting article on Goko launch
« on: August 20, 2012, 02:38:24 pm »
+2

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-08/20/goko-launch-problems

One tidbit I hadn't seen yet: DXV confirmed Goko has a 5-year exclusive contract to Dominion.
This user is banned.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting article on Goko launch
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 02:41:29 pm »
+1

One tidbit I hadn't seen yet: DXV confirmed Goko has a 5-year exclusive contract to Dominion.

I saw Jay from RGG confirm that over on BGG. 

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 03:15:41 pm »
+11

I like being called a fanatical global following.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

polonkus

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 03:23:00 pm »
+1

I like being called a fanatical global following.
If BGG is a fanatical following, I wonder what that makes us? Crazy stalkers?
This user is banned.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 03:25:06 pm »

The article also says "special individual cards exclusive to Goko are planned", which I believe DXV has elsewhere confirmed to be false.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 03:46:09 pm »
+2

That doesn't sound like me. I like to be specific, and that would be some noticeable rounding there.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 03:47:44 pm »
+3

The article also says "special individual cards exclusive to Goko are planned", which I believe DXV has elsewhere confirmed to be false.
There are zero exclusive cards planned at this time.

polonkus

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 03:48:47 pm »
+1

That doesn't sound like me. I like to be specific, and that would be some noticeable rounding there.

Yeah I guess I should have put that in quotes, not presented it as a statement of fact.
Here's the paragraph from the article:

"Dominion creator Donald X. Vaccarino has confirmed that Goko's licence to his game is a five-year exclusive deal. One of the most commonly-cited fears on Board Game Geek and other forums is that many or most of Goko's vast portfolio of licences might be similarly exclusive. Just as the smartphone and tablet explosion is speeding the move of board games into digital formats, many cherished brands might be tied to Goko for an uncertain length of time."
This user is banned.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 03:49:05 pm »

I didn't remember seeing it either.  I'm curious to know if that's from launch, or from signing of contract.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 04:01:07 pm »
+5

"Dominion creator Donald X. Vaccarino has confirmed that Goko's licence to his game is a five-year exclusive deal. One of the most commonly-cited fears on Board Game Geek and other forums is that many or most of Goko's vast portfolio of licences might be similarly exclusive. Just as the smartphone and tablet explosion is speeding the move of board games into digital formats, many cherished brands might be tied to Goko for an uncertain length of time."
Yeah so this is acting like yesterday they contacted me and I said oh yes etc. No-one has done any such thing. In any case I wouldn't be speculating as to what their contract with Jay says, which I haven't seen - for all I know it could be shorter. What I do know is that their contract can't meaningfully extend past my contract with Jay, and that their contract postdates mine.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 10:55:29 am »
+1

Link?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 11:06:29 am »

Link?

I just scanned through his contributions on the site and didn't see it - but I could be mistaken.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 11:23:59 am »

I hadn't really thought of Goko as a competitor to Zynga, but I may be more apt to throw money at Goko now. I hate Zynga with a passion.

A man has no signature

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 11:45:17 am »
+6

When I read "competitor to Zynga," my initial thought isn't "YEAH WOO SCREW ZYNGA," it's "probably just as annoying as Zynga."
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 11:48:02 am »

What's.. Zynga?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2012, 11:54:42 am »
+2

What's.. Zynga?

Ah.  An innocent.  Best not probe too deeply for the answer to that question.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2012, 12:03:19 pm »
+4

Oh, I see. They make pay-to-cheat, idiotic facebook games for weak minded people who request-spam you with it.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2012, 12:13:03 pm »

When I read "competitor to Zynga," my initial thought isn't "YEAH WOO SCREW ZYNGA," it's "probably just as annoying as Zynga."

That thought did cross my mind, but I'm being optimistic here. At least it looks like Dominion will still be pure. I'm not entirely sure about Catan World, but it's not being touted as Settlers of Catan, so I guess I can shrug that away.

But yeah, screw Zynga.
A man has no signature

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2012, 12:14:37 pm »
+7

I hadn't really thought of Goko as a competitor to Zynga, but I may be more apt to throw money at Goko now. I hate Zynga with a passion.

See that's interesting.  In my mind Goko wasn't a competitor to Zynga.  Zynga makes social / casual games that are generally free to play - but have an addicting hook to get you to pay as you go.  Goko (in my opinion prior to touching the beta) had the mission of making high quality implementations of high end german board games.  Those are two separate markets with some overlap - other than the fact that they are both accessed via the internet.

Now - after reading about the catan mmo, and another interview which I can't find now on challenges associated with monetizing a relatively simple board game - and the solution being "put another game on top of it - and monetize that" - it's looking increasingly like this is goko goal - compete with Zynga for social / casual dollars.

I wouldn't buy Zynga dominion - even if it was just Zynga presents: Isotropic.  I won't buy Goko if they act the same way, and to preemptively ward off the comments that are: Shut up and don't buy it - no-one is forcing you to - I present:

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the conditions that surround him... The unreasonable man adapts surrounding conditions to himself... All progress depends on the unreasonable man."  - G.B. Shaw

If enough people make their voices heard - perhaps the product will be steered in a direction that is beneficial to everyone - gamers, goko employees, goko investors, RGG, DXV.

Kahryl

• Explorer
  • Respect: +155
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2012, 12:43:04 pm »
+2

This. Oh boy, another company that wants to cash in on social compulsion, and is cowardly/insulting enough to hide the prices of its wares behind fake currency.

If you want to charge me $18.63 or something weird for a nominally-$15 game, fine.  If you want to charge me more for the first game than successive ones, fine. But don't screw around with gokoins and hope I can't do math.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 12:44:28 pm by Kahryl »

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2012, 02:04:45 pm »

Link?

I just scanned through his contributions on the site and didn't see it - but I could be mistaken.

It's in this thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/12607/multi-platform-release-dominion

Someone quotes an email exchange they had with Jay.  I guess they could be lying, but seems unlikely.

polonkus

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2012, 02:10:41 pm »
+2

A nice quote from that thread:
lancemoody wrote:
Yes, the site is back in beta and there is a sort of apology now when you first visit.

The Goko people miss the point.

This isn't just about their shockingly bad technical skills.

It's about the fact that they don't understand the core fans of these games. Indeed every facet of Goko appears to be woefully out of touch. One really has to wonder who they are imagining was going to sign on for their idea. It appears that they actually think that these hobby games might go full mainstream. It appears that they fantasize about a huge base and they have alienated the real base by not attempting to understand it in any way.

Goko is on the outside trying to figure out how to monetize us. They aren't part of the gaming community and, from the looks of it, they don't want to be part of it.

Unfortunately now it appears that several wonderful games are now in their clutches. This is a shame.

From my perspective, the only salvation for Goko is to completely rethink every aspect of their "concept". I don't think that is going to happen.

So, yes I actually do hope that the end of Goko happens sooner rather than later. I can't see how anything else might be good for those of us who love these games and want to play them and pay for them without resorting to Gokubucks or any other of Goko's tone deaf schemes.
This user is banned.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2012, 02:36:58 pm »

I'm not too concerned about Goko's monetization, honestly. They are positioning themselves as a platform for making HTML5 games, which means they can make both real games (e.g. Dominion) and lame "social" games (e.g. Catan World). Even if these run on the same platform, the monetization can be completely different.

The pricing they've chosen for Dominion seems pretty close to what I'd expect (I estimated $5 per pack, instead it's $6). It's a good pricing for serious players, because they can make enough money off fairly-serious players to afford to not do ridiculous Zynga-like schemes.

The only thing that bothers me are the Gokoins, which is a bit insulting.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2012, 02:45:54 pm »
+3

I'm not too concerned about Goko's monetization, honestly. They are positioning themselves as a platform for making HTML5 games, which means they can make both real games (e.g. Dominion) and lame "social" games (e.g. Catan World). Even if these run on the same platform, the monetization can be completely different.

The pricing they've chosen for Dominion seems pretty close to what I'd expect (I estimated $5 per pack, instead it's $6). It's a good pricing for serious players, because they can make enough money off fairly-serious players to afford to not do ridiculous Zynga-like schemes.

The only thing that bothers me are the Gokoins, which is a bit insulting.

The dominion monetization is perfectly Ok with me.  $6 / pack feels high, but I just gave DougZ $100 - so clearly I'm willing to pay that much for a decent online dominion.  I don't think that the funsockets implementation meets my needs, so I'm not planning on paying at this time.

My issue is that other public statements indicate that they may be monetizing other games using more offensive (to me) methods.  I have no interested in supporting that even indirectly - even if I consider dominion specifically to be acceptable.

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2012, 02:48:04 pm »
+2

There are zero exclusive cards planned at this time.

Oh god how I hate this. The MMO I played constantly said "we will never ever do micro-transactions" and then they said "there are no micro-transactions planned at this time" and then there were micro-transactions.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.