Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: The Bold Predictions Thread  (Read 39942 times)

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
Re: The Bold Predictions Thread
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2012, 05:57:28 pm »

Wait, why? Hermit self-trashes.

Has nothing to do with Hermit trashing, has to do with buy forfeit. It's basically like a cheaper Tac that provides the big hand on some turn in the future (perhaps the next, perhaps later).
When I read your comment I thought I made a huge error, but yes the set has a lot of trash to gain cards (Graverobber, Altar, any more?), which is a lot compared to the hundred of cards before and only having Remodel and expand that I can really think off that top of my head.  That's a pretty big let down if hermit plays outside of DA.

Maybe trash for gain isn't the only method and general gainers will help too.  Off the top of my head, sounds like only horn of plenty would be a viable method to gaining provinces outside the trash for gains. 

engineer

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2012, 06:56:05 pm »

Wait, why? Hermit self-trashes.

Has nothing to do with Hermit trashing, has to do with buy forfeit. It's basically like a cheaper Tac that provides the big hand on some turn in the future (perhaps the next, perhaps later).
When I read your comment I thought I made a huge error, but yes the set has a lot of trash to gain cards (Graverobber, Altar, any more?), which is a lot compared to the hundred of cards before and only having Remodel and expand that I can really think off that top of my head.  That's a pretty big let down if hermit plays outside of DA.

Maybe trash for gain isn't the only method and general gainers will help too.  Off the top of my head, sounds like only horn of plenty would be a viable method to gaining provinces outside the trash for gains.

I guess this is an obvious comment, but I bet Hermit will also be useful in kingdoms with cursers.  It basically allows you to remodel a curse into a silver (or any other useful $2 or $3), and it's much easier to stamp out curses when you can pull them from the trash.  I wouldn't be surprised if hermit is one of those cards that lets you skip buying cursers of your own if they don't fit into your strategy.

Wingnut

• Golem
  • Respect: +75
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2012, 07:35:32 pm »
+1

OK I'll join in on this one.

Feodum will end up as the worst Alt-VP in the game (except Great Hall). It will have it's moments just as Farmland does, but it will still end up incredibly weak, especially compared to its cost 4 brothers Gardens and Silk Road.

Rebuild is going to join Grand Market, Haggler, Tournament and Peddler (with extra buys) as big snowball cards. It will end up being used to trash Provinces for Provinces most of the time and speed the game to force Engine builders to work quicker.

Despite what it appears, Chapel will not be the best friend of Dark Ages. There are so many other ways to trash now that Chapel, while still powerful, will end up as one of the bunch of many trashing cards. With all the other trashers, it will be skippable on engine boards a lot more often than it was before Dark Ages.

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2012, 08:21:48 pm »
+1

A bold prediction, Knights will SUCK if there is a card that has a beneficial when trashed effect (ie fortress) or Tunnel is on board.
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2012, 08:29:06 pm »
+1

Also: FWIW, I'm not entirely sold on Rebuild, but other than that I agree with Winder's OP 100 percent.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2012, 08:29:43 pm »

I can see Beggar being a great card when Gardens and/or Dukes are out.  Copper and silver is all you need to get to 4 or 5.

Beggar + Trader is a great combo as well.

Beggar could also help feed your rats when vineyard is in play.

Remember that using Trader on Beggar's Coppers won't put those Silvers into your hand.

sffc

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2012, 08:36:26 pm »

Okay, time for some of my naïve bold predictions that might turn out to be true for some of these cards.  In alphabetical order:

Under the right circumstances, Count will be one of the strongest cards in Dark Ages.  Like with Minion, my prediction depends on having a high concentration of Counts in your deck.  However, unlike Minion, Count helps clean out your deck with its "trash your hand" option.  2 Counts can hit $6 to buy more Counts or benefit-on-trash cards (like Cultist); 3 Counts can either hit a Province or hit $6 and trigger junk riddance/benefit-on-trash cards; and 4 Counts can hit both a Province and trigger junk riddance/benefit-on-trash cards.  Of course, this depends on having either Villages or ThroneRooms/KingsCourts, so any buys that aren't used for Count or benefit-on-trash should be used for these cards.  In late game when your deck is bloated and you can't get your Counts and Villages/ThroneRooms/KingsCourts to collide, Count provides a nice solution: just gain a Duchy!  This nice little perk should enable a Count deck to win many games just because it is so ridiculously fast when duchy dancing.

Junk Dealer will be a dead card in the presence of other non-terminal trashers.  I mean, in almost all cases, lonely little Upgrade is better than Junk Dealer.  Of course, in the lack of other trashers, Junk Dealer will be strong, but only for the same reason that Walled Village is strong in games that lack other Villages.

Poor House will also be a powerful card.  In a deck planned around it, Poor House is almost always going to be worth at least $2 or $3, and often $4, like Harvest.  But unlike Harvest, Poor House is cheap and easy to get!  Expect to see pro-level games that revolve around who can most effectively use Poor House.

Procession is definitely a combo card.  I expect Procession's most powerful combo to be with Border Village: play any $5 card twice, then just gain a copy back again along with a free Village.

Storeroom will be a Duke/Duchy enabler, similar in principle to Horse Traders.  All that's needed is 1 Silver per 9 cards in your deck: if you draw Storeroom with no Silver, just discard everything and draw 4 cards.  As soon as you have your Silver, you can hit $5 by discarding whatever else you drew.  Because of the fact that you can discard Copper without any problem, in non-Duke games, Storeroom will also be a powerful curse counter for Big Money (although not a discard-attack counter).

Wandering Minstrel will be the best $4 village in games that lack combos with other $4 villages (like Fortress and Worker's Village).  For perspective, Shanty Town seems to go out of its way to make sure that it doesn't collide with your actions, but Wandering Minstrel does just the opposite.  Wandering Minstrel also has a powerful synergy with Scrying Pool.

Loschmidt

• Golem
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2012, 08:51:47 pm »
+3

Rats + Hermit will beat DoubleJack

Bold prediction in bold :P

Loschmidt

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2012, 08:56:39 pm »

A bold prediction, Knights will SUCK if there is a card that has a beneficial when trashed effect (ie fortress) or Tunnel is on board.

Tunnel may not be the best defence to Knights. Tunnel/Copper means Tunnel is trashed and gains you no Gold.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2012, 09:06:11 pm »
+1

Junk Dealer will be a dead card in the presence of other non-terminal trashers.  I mean, in almost all cases, lonely little Upgrade is better than Junk Dealer.  Of course, in the lack of other trashers, Junk Dealer will be strong, but only for the same reason that Walled Village is strong in games that lack other Villages.

Disagree here. Junk Dealer will yield +$1 compared to Upgrade on any given play. Upgrade Estate -> Silver gives you more money on subsequent shuffles, but Junk Dealer on Estates yields more money now. Unless you want something like Village or Menagerie in the kingdom, Junk Dealer should not be significantly weaker. Upgrade is also much weaker with Shelters around.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2012, 09:11:22 pm »

Tunnel may not be the best defence to Knights. Tunnel/Copper means Tunnel is trashed and gains you no Gold.

I think Insomniac has the right of it here: Knights discard and then trash. So Knight hitting Tunnel/Copper trashes the Tunnel, but you do get the Gold.

Loschmidt

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2012, 10:22:32 pm »

I think Insomniac has the right of it here: Knights discard and then trash. So Knight hitting Tunnel/Copper trashes the Tunnel, but you do get the Gold.

Hmmm, there you go. I assumed that it was reveal, trash, discard. This makes Tunnel a very good Knight defence indeed.

Razzishi

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eye Urn
  • Respect: +120
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2012, 10:31:33 pm »

Band of Misfits will be pretty bad in general.  Most of the time you'll end up wishing you'd bought a card that gives you $5 worth of value.  There will definitely be boards where it's good, and spotting those times will be a sign of a skilled player.
Stop reading my signature.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2012, 10:52:51 pm »
+1

Band of Misfits will be pretty bad in general.  Most of the time you'll end up wishing you'd bought a card that gives you $5 worth of value.  There will definitely be boards where it's good, and spotting those times will be a sign of a skilled player.

It will certainly lessen the sting of opening 5/2 with Ambassador/Sea Hag/Masquerade/etc on the board.

edit: You know what, I'm just going to go ahead and boldly predict Band of Misfits will be awesome. Steward is a strong $3 because of the choices it has, not because any one of those is worth $3 on its own. Sure on some boards it won't be great*, but I expect it will be a good card.

*The Fundamental Theorem of Dominion: It depends on the board.
You heard it here first.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 10:58:40 pm by michaeljb »
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2012, 11:36:11 pm »

It will certainly lessen the sting of opening 5/2 with Ambassador/Sea Hag/Masquerade/etc on the board.

edit: You know what, I'm just going to go ahead and boldly predict Band of Misfits will be awesome. Steward is a strong $3 because of the choices it has, not because any one of those is worth $3 on its own. Sure on some boards it won't be great*, but I expect it will be a good card.

*The Fundamental Theorem of Dominion: It depends on the board.
You heard it here first.

I also predict that Band of Misfits will be awesome and will be a strong card on most boards. If Dominion has taught me anything, it's that cards that give me lots of choices tend to be very strong.

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2012, 11:37:03 pm »

So are cards that do a whole bunch of things at the same time.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2012, 11:51:49 pm »
+4

So is scout.

Tmwinand

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +30
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2012, 12:15:33 am »

The card says reveal->trash->discard.  Tunnel does not activate in that scenario

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2012, 12:17:46 am »
+2

The card says reveal->trash->discard.  Tunnel does not activate in that scenario

"Each other player discards the top 2 cards of his deck, and trashes one of them costing from $3 to $6."

Doesn't even say reveal.  Just discard->trash.  Tunnel activates.

Tmwinand

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +30
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2012, 12:22:45 am »

My bad! I was looking at Rogue!  ;D

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2012, 12:39:03 am »

My bad! I was looking at Rogue!  ;D

Rogue actually goes reveal > discard > trash, so Tunnel activates in that case too. :P

empra

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2012, 08:56:54 am »

unless there is a misprint in the dark ages rules I downloaded I'm seeing;

"each other player reveals the top two cards of his deck, trashes one of them costing from 3 to 6, and discards the rest. If a knight is trashed by this, trash this card."

or

".....Otherwise, each other player reveals the top 2 cards of his deck, trashes one of them costing from 3 to 6, and discards the rest."

In either case I don't see how tunnel gets activated if it gets trashed.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2012, 09:01:54 am »

"Each other player discards the top 2 cards of his deck, and trashes one of them costing from $3 to $6."

Doesn't even say reveal.  Just discard->trash.  Tunnel activates.

eHalc, where are you getting this info?

Scan of the cads.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/20240121/dark_ages/3.jpg

Reveal top 2, trash one, discard the rest.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2012, 09:07:55 am »
+1

They're getting the info from the front page of the blog, which has incorrect wording for several cards. Either theory posted an old wording for the cards, or he decided to paraphrase them.

Either way, both Rogue and Knights reveal, trash, then discard. A trashed Tunnel will not activate first.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2012, 09:50:28 am »

Oh, okay. My mistake.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.