Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: The trash bounce  (Read 6856 times)

engineer

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
The trash bounce
« on: August 19, 2012, 07:13:34 pm »

I want to coin a new term: the "trash bounce."  This refers to any situation where you trash a card and retrieve it from the trash in the same turn. 

The most obvious trash bounce strategy is throne room/graverobber. You TR the GR, using it to trash bounce another GR for a province -- trash the second GR for the province on the first play, and then pick up the trashed GR on the second play.

Can anybody come up with other strategies that use a trash bounce?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 07:15:13 pm by engineer »

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
Re: The trash bounce
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 07:31:00 pm »
+5

We should call it "garbage in, garbage out."
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 09:53:22 pm »
+2

Is that like "tides go in, tides go out"?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

poggydude

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 09:57:22 pm »
+1

you cant explain that!

Loschmidt

• Golem
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 10:15:42 pm »

Is that like "tides go in, tides go out"?

It's a saying, in many fields, in reference to data manipulation/statistics etc. No matter how you manipulate garbage data you'll get garbage results.

I want to coin a new term: the "trash bounce."

Can anybody come up with other strategies that use a trash bounce?

I like it. Any TfB + Fortess is a trash bounce.

Rhombus

• Bishop
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 11:19:03 pm »

Village + Pillage + Graverobber/Rogue.

Loschmidt

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 11:43:34 pm »

Works with Feast too of course. But a 3-card combo just to make a 5 gainer is probably too much effort.

engineer

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 12:12:11 am »

Here's another one: TR/GR with border village.  Gain a card up to $9 and a card less than $5 by trash bouncing the BV.

Rhombus

• Bishop
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 12:28:17 am »

Works with Feast too of course. But a 3-card combo just to make a 5 gainer is probably too much effort.

Pillage is really, really good though - and you can use any village so there's a lot of different options.  It feels like a pin, that's how strong it is (if you can play Pillage every turn).

Loschmidt

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 01:02:29 am »

Pillage is really, really good though - and you can use any village so there's a lot of different options.  It feels like a pin, that's how strong it is (if you can play Pillage every turn).

A pillage every turn is a pretty strong move, maybe not strong enough to be called a pin though. Definitely will dismantle most engines and will rip apart big money's hopes at provinces.

You'll need pretty good drawing and/or deck control to manage to play it every turn. Do you think you can set it up quickly enough and keep it in place while greening? If your opponent builds a more conventional deck and starts going for duchy while the pin is in place they might be able to still do competitively.

Hmmm....but now I remember that Pillage gives you 2 Spoils. That means you don't need to worry about building your economy, because when you activate the pin you've basically added +$6. This makes it a lot more viable than I was thinking.

Can't wait to try this idea out!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 01:22:22 am »
+1

Here's another one: TR/GR with border village.  Gain a card up to $9 and a card less than $5 by trash bouncing the BV.

I don't think you get the on-gain bonus when you gain BV from the trash.  I believe we had a long, long discussion in this forum about how Gaining (with a capital G) means from the Supply.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 01:25:02 am »

I don't think you get the on-gain bonus when you gain BV from the trash.  I believe we had a long, long discussion in this forum about how Gaining (with a capital G) means from the Supply.

That's only if the card doesn't otherwise specify.  GR specifies "gain a card from the trash."

engineer

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 01:25:32 am »

Wait, what?  Why?  I mean, I can understand how masquerade doesn't count as a gain, but why isn't gaining from the trash considered Gaining?  That's certainly not intuitive to me...

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +274
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 01:39:19 am »
+3

Thief: The OG Trash Bounce.

Loschmidt

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 01:45:39 am »

????!???!?!?!

I think maybe you're confused. I remember there was a long, long discussion that one could only Gain from the supply unless specifically told to do otherwise. So you can't Mine a copper into a spoils, or even Mint a spoils, or workshop a Madman, or normally gain anything from the trash in any way. But with Grave Robber you can gain from the Trash and Border Village has an on-gain effect that will trigger. But you won't be able to gain the free BV card from the Trash only from the supply.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +937
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2012, 09:57:57 am »

????!???!?!?!

I think maybe you're confused. I remember there was a long, long discussion that one could only Gain from the supply unless specifically told to do otherwise. So you can't Mine a copper into a spoils, or even Mint a spoils, or workshop a Madman, or normally gain anything from the trash in any way. But with Grave Robber you can gain from the Trash and Border Village has an on-gain effect that will trigger. But you won't be able to gain the free BV card from the Trash only from the supply.

Yeah.  And in fact trash-gaining happened before now.  If you use Thief or Noble Brigand to steal treasures, you're technically gaining them from the trash, and that gain works like any other gain in that you can reveal Watchtower (to top-deck or trash them again).  And stolen IGGs will cause Curses to be given out, etc.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2012, 10:14:44 am »
+1

You learn something new every day.

bozzball

• Bishop
  • Respect: +68
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2012, 10:17:18 am »

I think the most obvious trash bounce is any trasher + Fortress.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.