Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: A Completely Unreasonable Proposal To Save Isotropic  (Read 30053 times)

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
Re: A Completely Unreasonable Proposal To Save Isotropic
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2012, 11:23:54 pm »

Maybe they were factoring in expansions?  Hm.
The RGG number includes all translations and expansions.

Maybe it's that sales increased after end of 2010, from word of mouth and greater number of available expansions?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2012, 11:51:05 pm »
+2

The number comes from Goko themselves:
I will let them know of this error!

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2012, 11:53:17 pm »
+6

The number comes from Goko themselves:
I will let them know of this error!

I totally didn't make it up.  I read and watched my press releases like a good boy.  Can't believe you didn't trust me!
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2012, 12:00:33 am »
+9

I totally didn't make it up.  I read and watched my press releases like a good boy.  Can't believe you didn't trust me!
Man, I said I needed a citation. No-one said you hadn't successfully passed along a false number without mangling it.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2012, 01:13:32 am »
+1

I know that decisions have been made and all, but I would personally enjoy a solitaire-only version of Isotropic, because that is really one of two reasons why I am any good at this game at all. Not sure if anyone else feels the same about this.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2012, 01:17:29 am »
+2

I know that decisions have been made and all, but I would personally enjoy a solitaire-only version of Isotropic, because that is really one of two reasons why I am any good at this game at all. Not sure if anyone else feels the same about this.

I would like an offline solitaire version, maybe with a bot (rudimentary, advanced, whatever).  I play Androminion way more than I should.

By the way, congrats on your new blue star. :)

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2012, 01:27:42 am »
+1

I would like an offline solitaire version, maybe with a bot (rudimentary, advanced, whatever).  I play Androminion way more than I should.

Honestly, I don't even want a bot. I just want a bare bones implementation where I can say what cards I want to use and they just do stuff. Attack cards do nothing in solitaire games, so they'd just be the same cards without an attacking effect. I mean, we all know that X strategy gets Y Provinces in Z turns, so we're just competing against out prior knowledge. (ffs I will do this damn thing myself, for myself if I have to. I would rather not break out my physical sets and solitaire at a table if I wanted to. People would think that I'm batshit crazy.)

And thanks :D

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2012, 01:55:00 am »
+2

Goko also can do solitaire. Is the problem the animations? We can still hope they eventually offer a no-animation option.

(Also, I'm curious why solitaire isotropic helped so much. Engine practice? Testing strategies?)

On a related note, on a technical level, it's completely possible for a browser extension to replace the Goko interface with an imitation of isotropic's interface. I've poked enough at the Goko client at this point to know that it can be done.

Problem is: it'd take a fair bit of time to make (because of needing to fully reverse engineer the isotropic interface and the Goko protocol, then getting the two to interact convincingly); few people would use it; and for all I know, Goko might end up banning 3rd-party extensions. But if some enterprising JavaScript/HTML coder wants to do it, I can tell you everything I know.

Piemaster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2012, 01:57:57 am »

I guess if someone did package up a solitaire version of Iso that just ran on the client PC there would be nothing Goko could really do about it, as long as nobody was actually selling it.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2012, 03:39:30 am »

Honestly, I don't even want a bot. I just want a bare bones implementation where I can say what cards I want to use and they just do stuff. Attack cards do nothing in solitaire games, so they'd just be the same cards without an attacking effect. I mean, we all know that X strategy gets Y Provinces in Z turns, so we're just competing against out prior knowledge. (ffs I will do this damn thing myself, for myself if I have to. I would rather not break out my physical sets and solitaire at a table if I wanted to. People would think that I'm batshit crazy.)

And thanks :D

When I used to play Magic, I would playtest my decks by playing against myself. I would pretend I didn't know the hand of my other deck. I never played Magic Online, and well, this was before Magic Online existed, so playing against myself was the best way to test strategies.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2012, 03:43:37 am »
+2

Goko also can do solitaire. Is the problem the animations? We can still hope they eventually offer a no-animation option.

I do not want to pay for Goko just to play solitaire, as I do not, and never have, had any intention to play Dominion competitively online. Maybe that might change in the future, but online gaming is something that I swore off of years ago because I felt like I couldn't adequately exercise enough self-discipline.

(Also, I'm curious why solitaire isotropic helped so much. Engine practice? Testing strategies?)

Pretty much. Before I owned Cornucopia or Alchemy, I solitaired interesting kingdoms that I found in Game Reports to get a feel of the cards. My IRL play group has soft banned quite a few cards and we always bias our kingdom selection away from money-ish kingdoms, so Iso solitaire filled in some of the gaps.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 03:44:48 am by dondon151 »

loppo

• 2014 Austrian Champion
  • Respect: +194
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2012, 11:32:47 am »
+2

dondon, you got a PM.

How did you get your US champion 2012 line? I want to have a Austrian champion 2012 line in my profile :-(

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2012, 11:35:50 am »
+3

Check again ;-)

KingsSkort

• Thief
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2012, 11:40:56 am »
+2

Reading between the lines, it sounds like, essentially, RGG (and other publishers?) has licensed their catalog (or a portion of it?) to Goko for Goko to use in their evil Zyngafication of board gaming. Obviously iso has no part in that. Even if iso isn't directly draining revenue, it's not contributing to the Goko platform. Also, Funsockets appears to be venture-backed, so they're probably very obsessed with showing growth in their platform, and not interested at all in earning a small amount of revenue from a pre-existing side product.

loppo

• 2014 Austrian Champion
  • Respect: +194
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2012, 11:47:13 am »
+2

Check again ;-)

Man thanks theory, that was real fast.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2012, 11:56:03 am »
+1

I would like some sort of non-public version so I could at least continue to play with my wife at home. We enjoy playing Dominion against each other quite a bit; we can always play the physical cards (which we own all of, except DA), but that does take a good bit more time to play a game.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2012, 02:46:42 pm »

Check again ;-)

Man thanks theory, that was real fast.
Your reasonable wish, is his reasonable command.
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?

Schlippy

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2012, 06:31:49 pm »

Dunno what dougz is going to do with the code, but if he removes the card names I can totally see you/us playing solitaire isotropic on a local server in a few months, or see GendoIkari playing with his wife in a local network.
I do upload some Dominion videos on youtube now. :)

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2012, 06:52:15 pm »
+2

Dunno what dougz is going to do with the code, but if he removes the card names I can totally see you/us playing solitaire isotropic on a local server in a few months, or see GendoIkari playing with his wife in a local network.

Darknet Dominion!  Let's make it happen.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2012, 08:16:20 pm »
+3

The utilitarian in me wants something, anything, besides the trash bin to be the final destination for iso's code.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2012, 08:18:24 pm »
+4

The utilitarian in me wants something, anything, besides the trash bin to be the final destination for iso's code.
My dream scenario:

- Isotropic's front-end gets reworked as an optional replacement for Goko's front-end, possibly as a browser extension (because then Goko's devs don't need to do any work).

- Isotropic's back-end gets an API that allows AI's to play each other.

Also it'd be a great learning experience to read the code, because dougz is a much better programmer than I am.

Jive Junkie

• Spy
  • Respect: +58
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2012, 03:39:07 pm »

My dream scenario:

- Isotropic's front-end gets reworked as an optional replacement for Goko's front-end, possibly as a browser extension (because then Goko's devs don't need to do any work).

Also it'd be a great learning experience to read the code, because dougz is a much better programmer than I am.

That's basically my dream scenario, too, and I came in to post just that. To add to it, why couldn't Goko just buy the right to use Isotropic's code anyway, and use what they can? Obviously they'd make the default view look really nice, but there's something to be said about the speed and stability of the current isotropic engine. Users could have the option to turn off animations and use a more text-based interface, and that should meet most people's needs, right?

Note that I know very little about programming, so I don't know how easy it is to adapt code from one framework to another...

Jedit

• Scout
  • Respect: +21
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2012, 04:59:13 pm »
+1

Seriously. There would be zero downside to them (except the embarrassment factor) to just buying iso...
Except they want to go beyond Dominion.  If they used isotropic then they couldn't go to other people and say, "Hi, look at this thing Dominion which we programmed please let us make your official application."

I guess that's included in embarrassment factor but it's a really big deal to a new company.

So you think there's no embarrassment factor in Goko having failed to do with $8m in funding what two other guys have already done by themselves in their spare time for free?  This failure to launch is a huge blow for them. 

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2012, 06:41:11 pm »

My dream scenario:

That's basically my dream scenario, too, and I came in to post just that. To add to it, why couldn't Goko just buy the right to use Isotropic's code anyway, and use what they can? Obviously they'd make the default view look really nice, but there's something to be said about the speed and stability of the current isotropic engine. Users could have the option to turn off animations and use a more text-based interface, and that should meet most people's needs, right?

Note that I know very little about programming, so I don't know how easy it is to adapt code from one framework to another...

It's more that it doesn't improve their portfolio much to do that, I think.

elkabong

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2012, 09:37:27 am »

This ship has sailed, iso is going away, stop making threads like this.  Seriously.  Donald X has signed with Goko, there's nothing that really can be done about that, even if he wanted to.
Buying FunSockets could change it, but the price tag for that would be fairly large. :P
Yes, I am sure of that.  I believe Funsockets to be created almost ENTIRELY as a company designed to be sold.  I would be  very surprised if they aren't sold to Zynga or some other online behemoth within the year. 

They have done everything to indicate this.  Minimal development costs (hey, who needs project managers?!?!)  .  Minimal licensing costs with maximum license names.  And unbelievable app costs, all based on the very waste-creating "coins" system.  THey have been designed from the ground-up, simply to be sold. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.