Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: A Completely Unreasonable Proposal To Save Isotropic  (Read 30049 times)

Personman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile
    • My Friendfeed
A Completely Unreasonable Proposal To Save Isotropic
« on: August 19, 2012, 04:53:43 pm »
+13

Out of curiosity, is there an amount of money that could be raised and given to Jay that would convince him to let isotropic remain available? I had thought that perhaps the switch to Goko wouldn't be so bad after all, once they implemented some promised features, but now my trust for them is tanking hard. A wonderful community that I love is being destroyed and replaced by a pile of junk patched together by incompetent clowns, and it is worth quite a bit to me to save it.

I assume that there are contracts and such that would make any such scheme completely unworkable, but I'd still like to know what kind of cash it would take. If we did a kickstarter-esque fundraiser and got, say, $20k, would we be even a little bit close? I'm sure that's not nearly the expected value of online Dominion as a whole, but presumably lots of people will still prefer the shinier and oficialer client and give them money, while the more diehard isotropic fans will have paid up front for our beloved interface, game logs, and Councilroom statistics.

I'd personally be in for a thousand dollars if there were a chance of this becoming a reality. I'm only recently out of college and making fairly decent money, and I don't really spend it on all that much. It would be a big hit, but if I was actually instrumental in saving Isotropic, it would be worth every penny.
My youtube channel. Isoptropic games with commentary!

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
Re: A Completely Unreasonable Proposal To Save Isotropic
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 04:58:47 pm »

Out of curiosity, is there an amount of money that could be raised and given to Jay that would convince him to let isotropic remain available?
You mean, raised and given to Goko? Besides whatever else, I don't imagine there is anything Jay could legally do.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 05:25:12 pm »

I'm down for $85 which is what I'd have to spend on Goko for the same thing which I probably won't do otherwise.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 05:32:28 pm »
+7

... or, like, could the Goko people be persuaded to buy Isotropic, or something? I just don't get it. There's this great online version already that everybody loves and would be more than willing to pay for...
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Graystripe77

• Tactician
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 05:34:56 pm »

... or, like, could the Goko people be persuaded to buy Isotropic, or something? I just don't get it. There's this great online version already that everybody loves and would be more than willing to pay for...

Came to say this. They should just be Iso.

polonkus

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 05:54:12 pm »

Seriously. There would be zero downside to them (except the embarrassment factor) to just buying iso, running it simultaneously and selling access for the same price as their system. I would pay at least $100 for this.
This user is banned.

carstimon

• Golem
  • Respect: +115
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 06:11:16 pm »

Seriously. There would be zero downside to them (except the embarrassment factor) to just buying iso...
Except they want to go beyond Dominion.  If they used isotropic then they couldn't go to other people and say, "Hi, look at this thing Dominion which we programmed please let us make your official application."

I guess that's included in embarrassment factor but it's a really big deal to a new company.

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +490
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 06:26:58 pm »
+4

Seriously. There would be zero downside to them (except the embarrassment factor) to just buying iso, running it simultaneously and selling access for the same price as their system. I would pay at least $100 for this.

Here's the problem. I would gladly pay $250 for Iso. But if Iso cost $250, it wouldn't be worth the price, because nobody would be there to play against.

In my mind, I dream of a "save Iso" Kickstarter, to which I would donate heavily, but I'm afraid that ship has sailed.

anlin_wang

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 06:31:05 pm »

Out of curiosity, is there an amount of money that could be raised and given to Jay that would convince him to let isotropic remain available? I had thought that perhaps the switch to Goko wouldn't be so bad after all, once they implemented some promised features, but now my trust for them is tanking hard. A wonderful community that I love is being destroyed and replaced by a pile of junk patched together by incompetent clowns, and it is worth quite a bit to me to save it.

I assume that there are contracts and such that would make any such scheme completely unworkable, but I'd still like to know what kind of cash it would take. If we did a kickstarter-esque fundraiser and got, say, $20k, would we be even a little bit close? I'm sure that's not nearly the expected value of online Dominion as a whole, but presumably lots of people will still prefer the shinier and oficialer client and give them money, while the more diehard isotropic fans will have paid up front for our beloved interface, game logs, and Councilroom statistics.

I'd personally be in for a thousand dollars if there were a chance of this becoming a reality. I'm only recently out of college and making fairly decent money, and I don't really spend it on all that much. It would be a big hit, but if I was actually instrumental in saving Isotropic, it would be worth every penny.

Dude, not completely unreasonable.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 06:42:15 pm »
+24

This ship has sailed, iso is going away, stop making threads like this.  Seriously.  Donald X has signed with Goko, there's nothing that really can be done about that, even if he wanted to.

So let's move on.

And Goko is really not as bad as everyone is making them out to be.  Sure, they flubbed the launch.  That happens sometimes.  They're a new company, and they weren't ready for that kind of traffic.  Instead of belittling them, we should instead be giving constructive criticism.  Do you really think Trisha and co. really enjoy reading about how much we hate their product?  Can the vitriol.

And they have listened.  We wanted logs, they gave us logs.  We wanted a better way to deal with large hands, they gave us iso-style stacking.  They are doing the best they can.

When they make mistakes, let them know, and they will try to fix them - they've been doing a pretty good job of that so far.  But if all you're going to do is continue to say "wah iso was so awesome, goko is terrible" just to get on that particular bandwagon, you really need to back off.

So yes, Goko is not perfect.  Yes, Goko is not iso.  But they're what we've got, and what we're going to have, so let's move forward, shall we?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

polonkus

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 06:44:37 pm »
+6

This ship has sailed, iso is going away, stop making threads like this.  Seriously.  Donald X has signed with Goko, there's nothing that really can be done about that, even if he wanted to.

So let's move on.

And Goko is really not as bad as everyone is making them out to be.  Sure, they flubbed the launch.  That happens sometimes.  They're a new company, and they weren't ready for that kind of traffic.  Instead of belittling them, we should instead be giving constructive criticism.  Do you really think Trisha and co. really enjoy reading about how much we hate their product?  Can the vitriol.

And they have listened.  We wanted logs, they gave us logs.  We wanted a better way to deal with large hands, they gave us iso-style stacking.  They are doing the best they can.

When they make mistakes, let them know, and they will try to fix them - they've been doing a pretty good job of that so far.  But if all you're going to do is continue to say "wah iso was so awesome, goko is terrible" just to get on that particular bandwagon, you really need to back off.

So yes, Goko is not perfect.  Yes, Goko is not iso.  But they're what we've got, and what we're going to have, so let's move forward, shall we?

You don't like it, go read another thread.
This user is banned.

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 06:46:36 pm »
+2

So let's move on.

I like Goko but let's be reasonable too they have a bunch of testers they aren't paying for that they aren't utilizing, who in the beta doesn't intend to buy it because they've already tested the adventure mode or because they already tested dark ages, Goko NEEDS to fully utilize their testers and right now they aren't. They still haven't put up v400 yet which was their launch candidate instead they still have the testers on 378 without dark ages, thats just silly. I don't expect Goko to wait to launch until we all say its ready because that would never happen but they should definitely not launch when they're having XSS JS bugs discovered and everyone is saying at the top of their lungs that it isn't ready..
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 07:22:54 pm »
+4

Just to clarify, Donald X has a contract with RGG, and Jay has a contract with FS/Goko.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 07:58:25 pm »
+3

Buying FunSockets could change it, but the price tag for that would be fairly large. :P

Nakamura

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Nakamura
  • Respect: +37
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 09:14:54 pm »
+2

Yeah, Dominion Strategy Forum should do a kickstarter to buy Goko.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2012, 09:16:49 pm »
+9

If someone wants to reveal that they are a Dominion-obsessed millionaire, now is the time.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2012, 09:25:13 pm »

If someone wants to reveal that they are a Dominion-obsessed millionaire, now is the time.
With Goko reportedly having $8 million in funding, more like billionaire.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2012, 09:28:51 pm »
+2

With Goko reportedly having $8 million in funding, more like billionaire.

@ 3.5 million copies sold - assuming that Donald earned more than ~30 cents per copy, there should be at least 1 in the world.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2012, 09:40:51 pm »

I assume that Goko paid a pretty penny for the rights for online Dominion, probably at least, $200K. I am sure they see it worth much more than that, so I don't think they will sell for anything less. Plus, there are all sorts of legal contracts and kinks that would nee to be worked out. This thread isn't realistic to be honest.

iso is going down. We can either adapt and move on with Goko, play irl only, or just give up Dominion altogether. I am not saying this to be a jerk. I am saying this because these are our only realistic options.

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2012, 09:50:03 pm »
+1

but guys if we raise a couple thousand bucks Donald X will ride in on a blue dog and fix everything

he will probably even pay us to play isotropic because he owes us pizza
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2012, 10:07:18 pm »
+8

@ 3.5 million copies sold
[citation needed] [dubious - discuss]

Kahryl

• Explorer
  • Respect: +155
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2012, 10:52:54 pm »
+1

Please consider this. I am very unlikely to ever touch Goko. That kind of implementation/interface doesn't interest me and doesn't fit into the context in which I play dominion. But I would proudly pay unreasonably large sums of money to them or you or whoever has the authority to just keep what I have. You know, pay for something that already exists and needs no development. A one-time cash-out of $85 would be a bargain to me.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2012, 11:03:07 pm »
+3

@ 3.5 million copies sold
[citation needed] [dubious - discuss]
The number comes from Goko themselves:
Up first is Dominion, a wildly popular deck building strategy game that has sold 3.5 million copies to date.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2012, 11:07:40 pm »
+1

It seems high though. Back at the beginning of 2011, RGG reported:
Dominion continues to grow in popularity and size: by the end of 2010, we had sold over one million copies of Dominion in its various langauges and expansions.
So that's ~1 million in ~27 months. It's been ~20 months since the end of 2010, so extrapolating gives a very rough estimate of ~1.8 million copies total sold, which is about half of what Goko claims.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2012, 11:18:07 pm »

Maybe they were factoring in expansions?  Hm.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.