Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A response to "Secret History of the Cornucopia Cards" outtakes.  (Read 1303 times)

MasterAir

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile

Donald X. in "Secret History of the Cornucopia Cards" said:
- There was a card, +$2, name a type, dig for it, put it on your deck. It cost $3. You can almost always name a type that isn't in your deck if you want, so it's "strictly better" than Chancellor. This really bothers some people (Anthony Rubbo being one of them). It had to be worse in some way and I didn't want it to be worse.

I like this as an idea for a card; what about adding "If you don't find it, gain a curse."  I still think it's a strong "deck cycling with benefits" card, it's no longer strictly better than a Chancellor.  I'm sure I'm not the first person to have thought of it.  I wonder why (if) it was rejected....

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
Re: A response to "Secret History of the Cornucopia Cards" outtakes.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 07:03:23 pm »

Donald X. in "Secret History of the Cornucopia Cards" said:
- There was a card, +$2, name a type, dig for it, put it on your deck. It cost $3. You can almost always name a type that isn't in your deck if you want, so it's "strictly better" than Chancellor. This really bothers some people (Anthony Rubbo being one of them). It had to be worse in some way and I didn't want it to be worse.

I like this as an idea for a card; what about adding "If you don't find it, gain a curse."  I still think it's a strong "deck cycling with benefits" card, it's no longer strictly better than a Chancellor.  I'm sure I'm not the first person to have thought of it.  I wonder why (if) it was rejected....
You are not the only one to have suggested that.

If I had gone with a penalty, it would have been, you only got the +$2 if you found the card. That's a little less like adding another thing that the card does.

It was still too much like adding another thing though. Digging takes a bunch of words and picking a type requires a parenthetical example and the card did not want to have more text to make it not strictly better than Chancellor. I didn't want to make it worse, and definitely didn't want to add more text and another concept in order to do so.

If I get around to making Dominion spin-offs, I will remember the card then, and it will have no Chancellor to have to not outshine.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 20 queries.