Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Mercenary confusion  (Read 4920 times)

bedlam

• Bishop
  • Respect: +72
    • View Profile
Mercenary confusion
« on: August 18, 2012, 08:45:33 pm »

From the Mercenary FAQ in the rulebook:
Players responding to this attack with cards like Beggar must choose to do so before you decide whether or not to trash 2 cards from your hand

This seems a little backward to me, It seems that the attack (opponents discarding down to 3 cards) is dependent on whether you choose to trash two cards because it has that 'if you do' clause. If an opponent revealed their reaction card first and then you decided not to trash two cards, would they still get to take advantage of that reaction?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25709
    • View Profile
Re: Mercenary confusion
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 08:49:24 pm »

Players responding to this attack with cards like Beggar must choose to do so before you decide whether or not to trash 2 cards from your hand

This seems a little backward to me, It seems that the attack (opponents discarding down to 3 cards) is dependent on whether you choose to trash two cards because it has that 'if you do' clause. If an opponent revealed their reaction card first and then you decided not to trash two cards, would they still get to take advantage of that reaction?
This is also how Minion and Pirate Ship work! The reactions just care about an attack card being played, not what it did.

engineer

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 08:52:35 pm »

Yes, they would.  Cards like beggar react to another player playing an attack card, regardless of the attack card's effect.  The reaction must be revealed as soon as the attack card is played, and is resolved before the attack card is resolved.

Edit: ninja'd by the game designer  :P

bedlam

• Bishop
  • Respect: +72
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 09:02:57 pm »
+1

ok, so if I play mercenary and choose not to trash two cards (so my opponents don't have to discard) they still get to play a reaction card and get that benefit. Just want to be sure.

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 09:03:03 pm »

This is a hidden up-side to Pirate Ship btw; if opponents block the attack, you can still take the money.

carstimon

• Golem
  • Respect: +115
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 10:46:04 pm »
+1

This is a hidden up-side to Pirate Ship btw; if opponents block the attack, you can still take the money.
There are also rarer situations where you go out of your way to play the minion attack; it helps there.

PSGarak

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +160
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 12:08:13 am »
+2

Much like Overgrown Estate is a VP card because it says so, Donald could scribble "Attack" next to "Action" onto Scout if he wanted to, and then it would trigger Horse Traders and Urchin, even though the only "attack" effect is the severe demoralization your opponent feels when getting trounced by a well-tuned Scouts deck. He should consider that, too... triggering Reactions with null attacks would help bring Scout's overwhelming power back in line, ever-so-slightly.

But yeah... specific wording: "...plays an attack card" vs "...attacks you." Following the letter of the law, reaction is resolved when a card with type "Attack" is played. It's even theoretically possible for a treasure to have Attack as a sub-type.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 12:20:10 am »
+1

Beggar would the absolute stupidest Reaction to play in response to a Pirate Ship.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 12:44:52 am »

Beggar would the absolute stupidest Reaction to play in response to a Pirate Ship.

Unless you know your platinum is on top of your deck.

engineer

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 12:48:02 am »

Nope, pirate ship flips 2 cards.  Your plat is still toast.

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 12:51:17 am »

Right, only 1 goes on top. Soooo we have 2 beggars. Or the plat is second on your deck. Either way, we can always make it work somehow.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 01:04:00 am »
+1

Right, only 1 goes on top. Soooo we have 2 beggars. Or the plat is second on your deck. Either way, we can always make it work somehow.

Either way, you're giving your opponent fodder for his Pirate Ships.  It only takes a couple times of that to ensure him a Province every time he has a Pirate Ship in hand.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 01:10:27 am »

Either way, you're giving your opponent fodder for his Pirate Ships.  It only takes a couple times of that to ensure him a Province every time he has a Pirate Ship in hand.

Except we are obviously playing a colony game if I have a plat.  ::)

But yeah, I'm not trying to make an actual strategy here. Beggar is most of the time poor choice under pirate ship attack. More of a puzzle than anything else.

PSGarak

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +160
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 12:22:02 pm »
+1

Have both a Beggar and a Secret Chamber in your hand. Top-deck a silver, then pull it into your hand. Regardless of the rest of your hand, you can always leave the Beggar and Secret Chamber on top of your deck to make the Pirate Ship whiff.

joel88s

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 12:28:51 pm »

Probably safest to have them up your sleeve in that case.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 22 queries.