Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Dark Ages on Iso a Possibility?  (Read 30654 times)

kilgoretrout103

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
Dark Ages on Iso a Possibility?
« on: August 18, 2012, 01:38:26 pm »
+2

Given the message on goko.com:
Hello Everyone

As you probably know by now, the first 48 hours of Goko’s public life didn’t go well.
As we moved out of beta and into the live world, we learned that we had problems
with our backend and weren’t able to scale fast enough to support the load.
As a result, we experienced numerous problems and created a really bad experience
for the fans trying to access our games or even get on our website.

We sincerely apologize to the fans trying to play our games and to the broader tech
and HTML5 communities that showed so much support for our vision at launch.
We've made the decision to roll our games and game site back into beta for testing.
We will go live again when it's ready. We’d love to say that will happen tomorrow or
next week, but that’s not the right way to proceed.

If you want to help us test the games before they go live again, or test future games
from Goko, please click here to become a beta tester. Everyone will eventually get in
and we’ll add people as quickly as we can.

Sincerely,

The Goko Team

Is it suddenly possible we might be able to enjoy Dark Ages on Isotropic in the meantime? DXV, are you in a position to comment on this? I don't want to get my hopes up, but man, that would be great.

(P.S. good on Goko for taking more time to polish their product)

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Ages on Iso a Possibility?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 02:06:20 pm »
+3

I'm not DXV, but I would rate the chance of playing DA on isotropic as about 0%. Once Goko is back up, the availability of Dark Ages there will be a HUGE draw to get people to try it.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see the isotropocalypse delayed.

kilgoretrout103

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 02:18:14 pm »

You're probably right. I guess the logic would be this: even if iso gets Dark Ages for the last few weeks of its life, people who want to play with DA will have to go to goko regardless once iso shuts down.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 02:26:55 pm »
+3

Is it suddenly possible we might be able to enjoy Dark Ages on Isotropic in the meantime? DXV, are you in a position to comment on this? I don't want to get my hopes up, but man, that would be great.
To some people - I'm not saying you have to agree with them, but only, look at this, turn it over in your mind - to some people, this question would seem a lot like: Sure you can see Batman: The Dark Ages Rise in theaters... but as long as it isn't available on DVD yet, can we all torrent it?

I suspect that the people who feel that way, and are in the position to make that call, are not so interested in that torrent being available.

And if this seems wrong, I think that's because the way intellectual property works is so thoroughly messed up in this day and age. But wanting a different system doesn't just fix things, and some people base their careers on that messed up system, and sometimes you aren't just one of those people, you are also doing business with more of those people.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 02:28:52 pm »
+1

To some people - I'm not saying you have to agree with them, but only, look at this, turn it over in your mind - to some people, this question would seem a lot like: Sure you can see Batman: The Dark Ages Rise in theaters... but as long as it isn't available on DVD yet, can we all torrent it?

I suspect that the people who feel that way, and are in the position to make that call, are not so interested in that torrent being available.

And if this seems wrong, I think that's because the way intellectual property works is so thoroughly messed up in this day and age. But wanting a different system doesn't just fix things, and some people base their careers on that messed up system, and sometimes you aren't just one of those people, you are also doing business with more of those people.

<-- Torrents all the time...   <.<
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

aaron0013

• Explorer
  • Respect: +220
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 02:58:38 pm »

So I take it that's a big NO...........

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 03:26:33 pm »

Why did we get to torrent Hinterlands? That disincentivizes buying paper/theatre hinterlands.  It's the same situation. 

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 03:35:53 pm »
+3

Why did we get to torrent Hinterlands? That disincentivizes buying paper/theatre hinterlands.  It's the same situation.
We weren't selling a DVD of Hinterlands at the time, and, since we're incredibly evil people, we decided, why not let people watch it? And hey for all we knew someone would like it enough to go for seeing it on the big screen.

Now you can say, you aren't selling Dark Ages either, and I can say, that could be just a couple days away, I do not need you to see that difference but I can see it for sure. Or you can say, but I did see Hinterlands in the theater because I liked the DVD, and I can say, great, but that does not stop DVD's from being products.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 03:37:58 pm »
+1

So I take it that's a big NO...........
I would suggest asking funsockets, but you know, they are *busy*.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 03:38:41 pm »
+1

Ok, perhaps I misinterpreted the eta on goko

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 03:40:57 pm »
+4

Are people seriously still asking things like this?

They are going to sell the product online, they were not before so they let people use it for free. Now they have an agreement for someone to sell it online, so they are not going to release any more free stuff, and take back the free stuff thats already up.

I'm failing to see whats so hard to grasp here.

I'm also failing to see how you intend to accomplish changing thier minds by writing about it on a forum, if they were going to change thier mind or break the contract with GOKO then im sure we would be the first to know about it.

Seriously people, we love dominion, but get a grip!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 03:43:22 pm »
+1

I don't think it's outrageous.  If it will be months until goko's release, it might legitimately maximize profits to hype online dominion by letting dark ages be on iso

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2012, 03:43:58 pm »

Ok, perhaps I misinterpreted the eta on goko
I think there is in fact a miscommunication here, or intentional noncommunication, I dunno. Going from beta to final version is two steps; the intermediate step is like the final version but with the significant issue that you can only interact with people on your server. I should be learning not to predict any dates for things, but you know, surely the intermediate step is a lot easier to reach than the final version.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2012, 03:45:09 pm »
+1

Ok.  Therein lies the confusions.  0 VP

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2012, 04:17:35 pm »
+3

Dark Ages on Iso? - slim to none (none's winning)

Iso staying open for an extra time period because of the delay in release? - I'd say this might be plausible... 50-50.
A man on a mission.

bozzball

• Bishop
  • Respect: +68
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2012, 04:50:37 pm »

This. You want to enjoy Dark Ages (as I do - in England) - you could always try it in card form. I have heard good things.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2012, 05:08:09 pm »
+1

This. You want to enjoy Dark Ages (as I do - in England) - you could always try it in card form. I have heard good things.

What are these "cards" of which you speak?  Some sort of manipulable physical item?

(I have all the expansions except DA, sleeved, in two big boxes...)
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

bozzball

• Bishop
  • Respect: +68
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2012, 05:43:22 pm »
+3

What are these "cards" of which you speak?  Some sort of manipulable physical item?

(I have all the expansions except DA, sleeved, in two big boxes...)

Yeah, small rectangular cardboard devices from before the electronic age. People used to put them on a table and then use them to pass money from the poor and stupid to the rich and clever.

kilgoretrout103

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2012, 06:16:09 pm »

That makes sense to me. Thanks for your answer! Now I just can't wait until my local store gets a copy....

dougz

• Isotropic Designer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
    • Online Dominion
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2012, 07:18:16 pm »
+20

For what it's worth, I did ask about putting DA up on iso after the aborted launch and they (goko) said no.

There's a small window of time between a new expansion being spoiled and it being widely available when a site can get a big boost from being the only way to play the shiny new thing.  iso itself got a big boost from Prosperity, early in the site's existence (and that window was extra-long because of the shipping accident with the printed copies).  I imagine goko wanted the same thing from Dark Ages; there may yet be time for them to get some benefit.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2012, 07:21:04 pm »
+1

For what it's worth, I did ask about putting DA up on iso after the aborted launch and they (goko) said no.

There's a small window of time between a new expansion being spoiled and it being widely available when a site can get a big boost from being the only way to play the shiny new thing.  iso itself got a big boost from Prosperity, early in the site's existence (and that window was extra-long because of the shipping accident with the printed copies).  I imagine goko wanted the same thing from Dark Ages; there may yet be time for them to get some benefit.

Totally.  I want to be clear that I only made the post about hinterlands because my impression of the beta time was much larger than that window. I get it now

Varsinor

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2012, 07:53:10 am »

OK, so no Dark Ages on Iso.
But what about at least leaving Iso online as is between August 22 and the actual launch of Goko?

Jfrisch

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2012, 09:52:15 am »

Ordinarily I follow you on this stuff but I don't agree with you're analogy. Torrenting basically implies against the wishes of the designers. To anyone who reads this forum it's fairly clear that Iso isn't about to actively disrespect your wishes. So asking whether something can go on Iso is more equivalent to asking whether we can have songs from DXV's great new album on an unofficial, but recognized, fan site (which has songs from his other albums).

polonkus

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2012, 10:24:17 am »

Ordinarily I follow you on this stuff but I don't agree with you're analogy. Torrenting basically implies against the wishes of the designers. To anyone who reads this forum it's fairly clear that Iso isn't about to actively disrespect your wishes. So asking whether something can go on Iso is more equivalent to asking whether we can have songs from DXV's great new album on an unofficial, but recognized, fan site (which has songs from his other albums).

But now DXV isn't the indie band, he's signed to the big label. And the Goko VP of monetization is def not going to be onboard with that.
This user is banned.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2012, 10:43:25 am »

Yes, Dark Ages will be the main selling point for Goko.

On the other hand, if people would experience the greatness of DA on Iso and get hooked by it, they may be more inclined to cross over instead of the other way around.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 1.519 seconds with 20 queries.