Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: More Ruins - Post your ideas too  (Read 1373 times)

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2110
    • View Profile
More Ruins - Post your ideas too
« on: August 18, 2012, 03:33:14 am »
+4

All Cost 0 and are action/ruins unless otherwise noted. I've designed them all to resemble another card and to be largely useless in most situations. They're not all meant to be equally bad (and some may be strictly better than others), but they're all meant to be bad.

Abandoned Feast: Trash this. Gain a card costing up to 2 and a ruins
Ruined Chapel: Trash a card from your hand that isn't a Treasure, a Victory Card, a Shelter or a Ruins
Ruined Council Room: +2 cards, each other player draws a card
Ruined Lab: +1 card, +1 action, discard an action card
Throne Ruin: Play an action card twice, then trash it. Gain a ruins.
Ruined Cellar: Discard any number of actions or treasures from your hand. For each card you discarded, +1 card
Ruined Workshop: Gain a card that isn't an action or treasure costing up to 2. Put it on top of your deck
Ruined Moat (Action/Reaction/Ruins): Trash this card, gain a ruins. Reveal and discard to prevent an attack. If you do, gain a ruins.

Ruined Courtyard: +1 card. Put a card from your hand on top of your deck.
Once Great Hall: (Action/Victory/Ruins) +1 action. Worth 0VP
Broken Bridge: +$2. Each card costs $1 more
Ruined Ironworks: Gain a card costing 0. If it's a treasure, $1. If it's an action, +1 action. If it's a curse, +2 cards

Ruined Lighthouse (Action/Duration/Ruins): +1 action. At the start of your next turn +$1, gain a ruins. While this is in play, attacks have no effect.
Shipwreck: +$2. Each player may put a card from their hand on top of their deck (you must). Each other player may trash a treasure.
Ruined Treasury: +$1. Immediately put this card on top of your deck.
Ruined Wharf (Action/Duration/Ruins): +1 card. At the start of your next turn, +1 buy, discard down to 4 cards in hand.

Ruiniversity: +2 actions. Gain a ruins

Ruined Watchtower: Draw until you have 4 cards in hand
Desecrated Monument: -1VP. +$2.
Ruined Mint: Trash a card that isn't a ruins. Gain a copper
Robbed Vault: Discard any number of cards from your hand. For each treasure you discarded, +$1.
Ruined Counting House: Gain a copper; put it in your hand.

Ruined Stables: Discard a treasure. If you do, +2 cards.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 04:00:50 am by NoMoreFun »

Scissors61

• Salvager
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
Re: More Ruins - Post your ideas too
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 12:05:30 am »
+1

Cursed Pirate Ship: Reveal the top card of your deck. If it is a treasure, trash it. +$1 for every Curse and Ruins in your hand.
Conquered Fortress: +2 actions. This may not be trashed.
Traitor: +$2. Trash a card from your hand.
Refugee Camp: Reveal cards from your hand until you reveal an action card. Play it.
Ruined Feodum: (Ruins-Victory) Worth 1 VP for every 15 Coppers in your deck.
Slain Princess: You may play another Ruins from your hand. If you do, cards cost $1 less this turn.
Rubble (Ruins-Treasure): Worth $1 for every 2 Ruins and Curses in your hand.
Burnt Crops: Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. If ther are no copies, trash one and +$2.
Ruined Apothecary: +1 card, +1 action. Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Discard any treasures or actions. Put the rest back on top in any order.

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 02:56:19 pm »
+1

"Ruined Lab: +1 card, +1 action, discard an action card"
I thought to a "Ruined Warehouse", less harmful but still useless (forgetting about interactions with conspirator, peddler and HoP and so on) : "+1 card, +1 action, discard a card "

Let's go anyway :
Ruined Develop : Trash a card from your hand.Gain a card costing exactly $1 less than it.
Ruined Trading Post : Trash two victory cards from your hand. If you do, gain a copper, put it on top of your deck.
Ruined Farmland : Worth 1 VP. When you buy it, trash a card from your hand.
Ruined Island : Worth 1 VP. Trash this and another card from your hand costing $4 or more.
Ruined Monument (Action) : +$1, -1 VP
Ruined Mine : Trash a Treasure from your hand. Gain a Copper, putting it in your hand.
Ruined Wharf : Now and at the start of your next turn : +1 card, Gain a Ruins in hand.
Ruined Moat : +1 card -- When another player plays an attack card, you may reveal and discard it.
Ruined Mining Village : Trash this card. If you do, +$2.
Ruined City : +1 card, +1 action per empty pile.
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

BryGuy

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +158
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2023, 12:04:43 pm »
+1

Below are a few ideas i printed for an expansion of mine:
* Tragedy: Review your deck's top and bottom card. Trash one and discard the other.
* Abandoned Well: Draw until you have two cards in hand.
* Obsolete Temple: +1 Buy; Gain a card costing up to $2.
* Castle Remains: +1 Action, +1 Buy; All players may draw and discard one card.

These happen to be called "Wrecks" instead of "Ruins" and have a cost of $1.
Tragedy replaced Survivors.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 12:08:00 pm by BryGuy »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2110
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2023, 09:42:58 am »
+4

This is a blast from the past!

I'm not really fond of Ruins any more. Cultist and Marauder don't feel very different to cursers. Death Cart is neat in the way that it can trash both the junk it comes with and Actions but I wonder if it would have worked with "trash an Action or a Curse". There's some interesting interactions with Ways and cards that assume Actions are valuable (e.g. Siren, Advance), and games where you are very happy to have a Ruined Market.  But not really worth the 50 cards in Dark Ages it takes up.

I think the fan mechanics "Snow" (oneshot +1 Action) and "Idle Hands" (oneshot +1 Card) are more interesting versions of what Ruins was trying to do. They're weaker but that leads to more interesting designs with the cards, and they still have the fun of Action junk.

If I was making a 2nd edition of Dark Ages. I'd remove Ruins as we know it and replace it with a pile of oneshot "+2 Actions", or maybe one of Snow/Idle Hands, which aren't in the supply. I'd still call it "Ruins" (in the card name) so existing cards can stay though theyd lose the "Looter" type. I think Death Cart stays but Cultist and Marauder are best gone (but maybe they'd be fine with weaker "Ruins").  People would accuse me of living up to my username but that frees up room in the box (you probably wouldn't need 50 of the new Ruins) and I would like to see Events etc. in Dark Ages with all the non-supply cards.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 20 queries.