Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Back into Beta?  (Read 12776 times)

stevemarks

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
Back into Beta?
« on: August 17, 2012, 08:16:04 pm »

So it looks like if you go to Goko.com now, Dominion is now in "beta-only" mode again, along with it's other offerings. Kind of embarrassing for Goko... but big picture this is probably what should have happened in the first place. Get the bugs actually worked out before jumping the gun on the launch.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
Re: Back into Beta?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 08:18:33 pm »

Yep, looks like this is the case. Probably not an easy decision to make, but it seems like the right one. Goko needs more time in the oven.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 08:19:53 pm »

Yep.

I hope, hope, that they will take the time and do a gradual rollout with the final release scheduled as "when we're ready" which may be a few months away.

kilgoretrout103

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 08:23:54 pm »
+1

If that happens, the question becomes: will the powers that be allow Dark Ages to go public on isotropic?

aaron0013

• Explorer
  • Respect: +220
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 08:24:42 pm »

Does this mean that we lose our profiles or will it save all that when it comes back online?

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 08:26:26 pm »
+5

If that happens, the question becomes: will the powers that be allow Dark Ages to go public on isotropic?

Oh... do not give in to hope...
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

stevemarks

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 09:14:50 pm »

Also, will the Dark Ages "leaked cards" in the Goko Beta get restored? It would be great to get some public beta playtesting with those. (Not holding my breath... but seems like if they had em up before, it wouldn't be hard to flip the switch again, right?)

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 01:19:25 pm »

I know it probably felt like admitting defeat to Goku putting this back into beta, but I am incredibly glad they did so. May it remain in beta for as long as it needs (no security holes, correct card rules, etc.) prior to launching again.

Brando Commando

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +112
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 01:24:14 pm »

There was a message up earlier on goko.com that said something like "we're now taking our time to fix things, so no firm release date" -- IIRC, this wasn't specific to Dominion but to their whole gaming platform or whatever.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 01:26:48 pm »
+1

goko.com now shows this message:
Hello Everyone

As you probably know by now, the first 48 hours of Goko’s public life didn’t go well.
As we moved out of beta and into the live world, we learned that we had problems
with our backend and weren’t able to scale fast enough to support the load.
As a result, we experienced numerous problems and created a really bad experience
for the fans trying to access our games or even get on our website.

We sincerely apologize to the fans trying to play our games and to the broader tech
and HTML5 communities that showed so much support for our vision at launch.
We've made the decision to roll our games and game site back into beta for testing.
We will go live again when it's ready. We’d love to say that will happen tomorrow or
next week, but that’s not the right way to proceed.

If you want to help us test the games before they go live again, or test future games
from Goko, please click here to become a beta tester. Everyone will eventually get in
and we’ll add people as quickly as we can.

Sincerely,

The Goko Team

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 01:35:13 pm »
+3

goko.com now shows this message:
Hello Everyone

As you probably know by now, the first 48 hours of Goko’s public life didn’t go well.
As we moved out of beta and into the live world, we learned that we had problems
with our backend and weren’t able to scale fast enough to support the load.
As a result, we experienced numerous problems and created a really bad experience
for the fans trying to access our games or even get on our website.

We sincerely apologize to the fans trying to play our games and to the broader tech
and HTML5 communities that showed so much support for our vision at launch.
We've made the decision to roll our games and game site back into beta for testing.
We will go live again when it's ready. We’d love to say that will happen tomorrow or

If you want to help us test the games before they go live again, or test future games
from Goko, please click here to become a beta tester. Everyone will eventually get in
and we’ll add people as quickly as we can.

Sincerely,

The Goko Team

Good.  Now they just need to put the Dark Ages cards back in the beta.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1676
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 02:04:00 pm »
+1

Look at how wise they've become!

aaron0013

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2012, 02:52:06 pm »

I've been holding off joining the beta for some time....do you guys think that it is worth it?  I am interested in trying out the new gameplay, but don't want to get involved in something if it is really dumb.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2012, 03:00:13 pm »
+6

I've been holding off joining the beta for some time....do you guys think that it is worth it?  I am interested in trying out the new gameplay, but don't want to get involved in something if it is really dumb.
Obv. I am not the guy to answer this, and my answer would mostly be yes, try it why don't you, but I am answering anyway because, I personally would hold off until someone posts that the javascript bug is fixed.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2012, 05:44:07 pm »
+1

Obv. I am not the guy to answer this, and my answer would mostly be yes, try it why don't you, but I am answering anyway because, I personally would hold off until someone posts that the javascript bug is fixed.

Or at least stick to playing the bots.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

aaron0013

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2012, 06:15:04 pm »
+10

Okay, maybe I'm just new to this, but does anyone find it somewhat awesome that I can post a question on a forum thread only to have it answered by the famous board game producer Donald X!?  Way to be involved!  Thanks for your awesome awesomeness, Donald 8)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2012, 06:51:29 pm »
+1

Okay, maybe I'm just new to this, but does anyone find it somewhat awesome that I can post a question on a forum thread only to have it answered by the famous board game producer Donald X!?  Way to be involved!  Thanks for your awesome awesomeness, Donald 8)
I'm there for you!

werothegreat is right, you can dodge the javascript bug by just not going in the meeting room. Log on and pick quick play and play against the computer. Your password still isn't secure but just pick a unique one. They certainly intend these bugs to be fixed this weekend (and the javascript one is trivial).

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2012, 08:04:04 pm »

I'd suggest it. Playing single player against bots is pretty fun, unless you get matched up against the serf bot. (And maybe even then.)

Just use a password that you don't worry about for now.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2012, 08:32:59 pm »
+2

You're new. Most of us are totally spoiled about it.

aaron0013

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2012, 08:35:00 pm »

I'm there for you!

werothegreat is right, you can dodge the javascript bug by just not going in the meeting room. Log on and pick quick play and play against the computer. Your password still isn't secure but just pick a unique one. They certainly intend these bugs to be fixed this weekend (and the javascript one is trivial).

So you have to pick a new password every time you play on the beta, or is the beta password just different than your normal password? 

BTW thanks for the advice! I have registered for the beta and am awaiting a reply.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2012, 08:48:17 pm »

So you have to pick a new password every time you play on the beta, or is the beta password just different than your normal password? 
No; the issue is, that it isn't encrypted, so if you use wi-fi someone could see it.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2012, 11:51:26 am »
+2

Really, you should want to get involved if you are interested in helping improve a product by providing feedback to the designers about any bugs you find--not just interested in trying out the new gameplay.

If you want to try out the new gameplay, you can wait until the game is released to the public. The base set will be free to play. And if you wait until that time, then the major bugs should be worked out and you should see a more polished game.
A man has no signature
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.