Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Cards with on-trash-benefits  (Read 1906 times)

Varsinor

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
Cards with on-trash-benefits
« on: August 17, 2012, 04:57:41 pm »

So Dark Ages obviously has a lot of cards with on-trash-benefits.

The attack cards Swindler, Saboteur, Knights and Rogue are a lot weaker on boards with such cards.

I was about to make a posting evaluating Knights in another thread, so I thought I'd make a list of the new cards that have on-trash-benefits first to see just how many there are. Maybe someone else will find the list useful as well:

$2:

Squire (The cost of only $2 means that Knights, Rogues and Saboteurs won't trash them.)

$3:

Market Square (no benefit when trashed itself, but possible benefit when a player has it in hand when something else gets trashed)

$4:

Feodum
Fortress
Rats

$5:

Catacombs
Cultist

$6:

Hunting Grounds (If trashed early in the game, this could actually be an on-trash-drawback instead of an on-trash-benefit. But I think on most Province boards, it should be more of an advantage than a disadvantage to get a free Duchy for the larger part of the game – and Hunting Grounds cannot be trashed before the second reshuffle because of the cost of $6.)

So that makes 8 different cards in total (only 7 which are relevant for Knights, Rogues and Saboteur).

I did not include Hermit and Urchin in the list because they don't provide benefits when they are trashed by any other card (be it from the opponent or oneself), but only offer their benefit when they are trashed by their own special ability for that.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: Cards with on-trash-benefits
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 05:27:32 pm »

I was surprised how few cards in the set have an on-trash effect, honestly. But I guess the more of those you pile on, the worse trashing attacks become, and the ones we had prior to Dark Ages were already pretty weak on average.

engineer

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 05:33:47 pm »

While cards with on-trash benefits make trashing attacks weaker, all these additional 0-cost cards actually make swindler stronger.  (Saboteur gets even weaker, yipee.) 

Varsinor

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 06:21:07 pm »

I was surprised how few cards in the set have an on-trash effect, honestly.

I think it was easy to expect even more on-trash-cards because most of these cards (five; six if you count Hermit) were already in the minority of cards that were previewed.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.