Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: When Goons are correct  (Read 2072 times)

MasterAir

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
When Goons are correct
« on: August 02, 2011, 12:36:02 pm »

Hello all, haven't posted here before but I love the site.  Lots of interesting debate which is rare for the internet.

The kingdom suggested I should Goon like crazy, so I did.
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201108/02/game-20110802-092425-169a1f36.html

Perhaps this should go in the "sorry to my opponent" thread too, I can't help but feel that getting the first goon was a monumental swing factor in this game.  I was after it from the word go in my defence.

As an aside, I love the image for Goons used on the Isotropic site.  It made me grin!

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
Re: When Goons are correct
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 01:43:23 pm »

All the elements were there: Goons (duh), Festival for an extra buy and lots of cheap cards to pick up with your buys and even a Chapel to boot!
And let's not forget about the lovely Woodcutter here, although it's somewhat of an overkill.

If this kingdom doesn't scream Goooooooooooooooons I don't know what will.

I think the whole story of this game is in turns 3 and 4: You had near perfect draws there (only 1 more Estate in turn 3 would have been better), while he had to Chapel some Coppers and drew 3 Estates the next hand. He may as well have resigned then and there.

These kinds of bad draws are especially awful and decisive in these "exploding" games, a setup like this provides almost no way for a good comeback, not after your turn 4 Goons.

But to your credit, he brings it on himself with his turn 6 City buy, there's just no need for it with Festival there.
He could have spiced things up with Masquerade, but declined.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

MasterAir

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 06:13:41 pm »

Sure, I saw the kingdom set and knew there was only one valid strategy.  I'm not sure you could add anything to this set to better facilitate the gooning except perhaps watchtower.  Not particularly complex so I'm not that proud, but it was certainly very entertaining to play.  2 cards with cost 2 that were +1 card, +1 action - score!  I am currently 8-0 on Isotropic - and feeling very fortunate.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 03:15:36 am »

I'm not sure you could add anything to this set to better facilitate the gooning except perhaps watchtower
There's always space. Add a Wharf/Councilroom/Scrying Pool. And KC of course.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 03:51:26 am »

I'm not sure you could add anything to this set to better facilitate the gooning except perhaps watchtower
There's always space. Add a Wharf/Councilroom/Scrying Pool. And KC of course.
That would just add insult to injury.  ;)

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 08:39:47 am »

One thing you didn't do was add the Masquerade to the mix once you got this rolling.  If you can play Goons followed by Masquerade every turn...

I'll agree with the others, this was over as soon as you managed to buy a 6 cost card on turn 4 AND trashed 2 estates on turn 3.

If I had been playing against you, I would have drawn my silver and chapel together on turn 5. with 3 coppers.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

MasterAir

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 10:31:45 am »

Until it was pointed out here, I hadn't realised how fortunate my turns 3-4 were.  Though my opponent did get a 5+2 start, which was also ideal for this board... maybe...

I'll get my coat.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 20 queries.