Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fan Expansion Card too strong with DA?  (Read 1803 times)

Graystripe77

• Tactician
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
Fan Expansion Card too strong with DA?
« on: August 17, 2012, 03:50:39 pm »

Bath House: $4
Action
+1 Action
+1 Buy
Trash up to 3 Cards from your hand. +$1 if any cards were trashed this way.

I had playtested this card a LOT before DA, and it seemed perfectly balanced at it's cost. But now with DA out, I feel it may be too strong, especially with Cultist. Should I raise the cost? Nerf it? Leave it as-is?

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Expansion Card too strong with DA?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 04:04:51 pm »

Bath House: $4
Action
+1 Action
+1 Buy
Trash up to 3 Cards from your hand. +$1 if any cards were trashed this way.

I had playtested this card a LOT before DA, and it seemed perfectly balanced at it's cost. But now with DA out, I feel it may be too strong, especially with Cultist. Should I raise the cost? Nerf it? Leave it as-is?

It's very similar to Forager, but it may be better.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 05:08:46 pm »

That feels super strong to me anyway.  Nearly-as-good-Chapel (already stronger than the usual $2), then add an Action AND a Buy AND some money?  Never mind Chapel -- it blows Trading Post out of the water:

* Trading Post is terminal.
* Trading Post doesn't give +Buy.
* Trading Post requires trashing two cards, rather than allowing you to trash 0, 1, or 3 cards instead.
* Trading Post effectively gives you +$2.  Your card matches Trading Post when you trash an equal number of cards, but it can do better if you want, and allows you to do worse if you'd prefer.
* Trading Post gains a Silver.  This is the one thing that makes Trading Post better.  But gaining a Silver on its own is a sub-$2 effect (see Squire).

So I'm kind of surprised this shouldn't be $6 or nerfed.  That said, I would suggest that a trasher priced correctly before Dark Ages is still correctly priced after Dark Ages.  I mean, the other official trashers didn't suddenly change prices, so if you price a trasher by comparing it with the official trashers, you'll still be in the right ballpark.

In a nutshell, trashers + on-trash-effects = appropriately strong combo, not something game breaking.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 05:11:56 pm »

That feels super strong to me anyway.  Nearly-as-good-Chapel (already stronger than the usual $2), then add an Action AND a Buy AND some money?  Never mind Chapel -- it blows Trading Post out of the water:

* Trading Post requires trashing two cards, rather than allowing you to trash 0, 1, or 3 cards instead.
* Trading Post effectively gives you +$2.  Your card matches Trading Post when you trash an equal number of cards, but it can do better if you want, and allows you to do worse if you'd prefer.
* Trading Post gains a Silver.  This is the one thing that makes Trading Post better.  But gaining a Silver on its own is a sub-$2 effect (see Squire).

So I'm kind of surprised this shouldn't be $6 or nerfed.  That said, I would suggest that a trasher priced correctly before Dark Ages is still correctly priced after Dark Ages.  I mean, the other official trashers didn't suddenly change prices, so if you price a trasher by comparing it with the official trashers, you'll still be in the right ballpark.

In a nutshell, trashers + on-trash-effects = appropriately strong combo, not something game breaking.
I think you misread his card, which only gives $1 at most ever.
Having said that, this looks like a $5 at first blush to me.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 06:04:18 pm »

I would agree - the non terminal nature says $5 to me.  Take away the action or the buy and I could see this as a worthwhile opening 4.  The $1 probably isn't going to help much except in the case of <CARD> + 2 coppers + 2 estates, and remake is going to eat its lunch there.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 08:52:01 pm »

Yup, I sure did.  Ok, a cap of +$1 is a huge drop from what I thought.  In that case, it sounds like it might be a reasonable $5 card.  As before, I don't think the existence of Dark Ages changes anything cost-wise.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 08:55:25 pm »
+2

If a fan card is priced properly in relation to all the sets before DA, and DA cards are also priced properly with relation to the previous sets, it seems very likely that the fan card will still be properly priced with respect to all the sets including DA.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 20 queries.