Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: The Campaign mode: what it's good for  (Read 3059 times)

chogg

• Bishop
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
The Campaign mode: what it's good for
« on: August 17, 2012, 01:52:03 pm »

I just played the first 3 campaign levels on my lunchbreak.  Man, are they slo-o-ow for experienced players!  The opponent starts at a handicap (the first one has 5 copper/5 curse!). You use the base set, and they introduce one new card at a time.  Not so exciting -- but there is one thing they do better than anything before.

The campaigns are the best way to introduce someone to Dominion.

You don't need multiple players.  You learn [new] cards one at a time.  And, it's free!

This is the slow, gentle introduction Dominion never had.  Kudos to Goko for bringing this to the community!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 01:58:19 pm by chogg »

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
Re: The Campaign mode: what it's good for
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 02:00:46 pm »

I dont think its very good for that. You still need ten cards in the first game. And if you understand the concepts, i dont think its necessary to add cards one-by-one anymore.
Also, different starting decks are just confusing.

chogg

• Bishop
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 04:01:42 pm »

I dont think its very good for that. You still need ten cards in the first game. And if you understand the concepts, i dont think its necessary to add cards one-by-one anymore.

Good point about 10 new cards in the first game.  But I do think adding new cards slowly is beneficial for new players.  It's hard for anyone here to remember what it was like when they were learning, but my experience with new players is -- at least at first -- they prefer to use mainly cards they're already comfortable with.

Also, different starting decks are just confusing.

They're actually not!  That's the brilliant part.  From the player's point of view, once the game starts it's all the same.  It helps you learn the mechanics, while also giving you an easier time to win.  It's an excellent way to ease new players into the game while they learn the ropes.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 04:05:19 pm »

Good point about 10 new cards in the first game.  But I do think adding new cards slowly is beneficial for new players.  It's hard for anyone here to remember what it was like when they were learning, but my experience with new players is -- at least at first -- they prefer to use mainly cards they're already comfortable with.

Really depends on the player, I think.  When I was new I was introduced to both the base set and Intrigue all at once, and I just wanted to try all the cards.  Cards I've already seen are boring!  All new is more fun!

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 04:06:16 pm »

Good point about 10 new cards in the first game.  But I do think adding new cards slowly is beneficial for new players.  It's hard for anyone here to remember what it was like when they were learning, [...]
Actually I remember it pretty well, as Dominion was pretty much the first game I learned that wasn't Monopoly/Battleship etc. There's another thread that somewhat deals with this, but the biggest thing is mechanical simplicity - I despised mats at first, as they were a pretty weird concept to wrap my head around. But when starting with Base, the "10 cards at first" thing was straightforward - oh, this is how you play the game! You want cards, some of these cards give you cards! Sometimes you want to buy more things, and some cards let you buy more things! And this card - this card lets you play all of those cards! And it's only $3! BUY ALL THE VILLAGES
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 04:07:57 pm by Voltaire »

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 05:02:39 pm »

My first game was a 6 player affair with Base, Intrigue, and Seaside. Apart from making me think Saboteur was monstrously powerful, I think I got it fine.

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 09:54:21 pm »

My first game was base in a 4-way. I remember looking at Thief and going "man, I love thieves in RPG's!' I then proceeded to go Thief/Village. I actually ended up almost winning. How? Everyone tried to go witch-BM :3
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.