Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Knights and Black Market  (Read 4773 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Knights and Black Market
« on: August 17, 2012, 01:51:41 pm »

This was asked on another thread, but no answer. How do Knights work with the Black Market? Here's my guess:

If you want Knights in the Black Market, you put the Knight Randomizer in the Black Market along with whatever other Randomizers. If it comes up, you have the chance to buy the top card of the Knight pile. That top card is the only Knight card that could be bought this game.

The other option would be to treat each Knight as an individual card that can either be in the Black Market deck or not. Obviously, as a promo card that says you can build the Black Market deck however you want, you could do it that way. But if you were playing with the standard "every card that's not in the Kingdom" rule, would you include all 10 Knights or just the 1 Randomizer?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
Re: Knights and Black Market
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 01:56:23 pm »

The rule booklet says:

If you choose to use the Knights with Black Market (a promotional card), put a Knight directly into the Black Market deck, rather than using the randomizer card.

This suggests that it's not recommended to put more than one Knight in the Black Market deck.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 02:02:26 pm »
+5

"Knights in Black Market...
Never reaching the deck...
Rule books I download...
Never meaning to check...."

—the Moody Reaction Cards

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 03:11:04 pm »

The rule booklet says:

If you choose to use the Knights with Black Market (a promotional card), put a Knight directly into the Black Market deck, rather than using the randomizer card.

This suggests that it's not recommended to put more than one Knight in the Black Market deck.

Man, I actually read the whole rule book, but somehow missed that. Thanks!

Indeed it does imply that there should be only one Knight, but the issue is that a real Knight card would have a different back than the other randomizers in the Black Market, thus allowing you to know when Knight is on top. Makes more sense to use the Knight randomizer card, just pick a Knight (randomly if you want, or choose whatever Knight you want) for that randomizer to represent.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 03:15:41 pm »

The rule doesn't say you put randomizers in the black market deck at all. It says: one of each kingdom card

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 03:17:33 pm »
+1

The rule doesn't say you put randomizers in the black market deck at all. It says: one of each kingdom card
Yeah, but practicaly, that's what my friends and I do IRL. Anything else is insaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaane.

Yes, this means stuff from the BM deck is blue-backed and can be seen when you shuffle. We just say, hey, that's the way it goes. Probably not acceptable for tournament play, but it saves us about 10 minutes of set-up/clean-up time for just one kingdom.

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 03:35:51 pm »
+2

I don't have Black Market, but I would be inclined to do is use randomizers in the deck, but then when buying the card, remove the randomizer from the BM deck, and gain a non-randomizer copy of the card. You still spend a bit extra time, but it probably wouldn't be too bad.

Or, you could just not buy Black Market.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 04:12:08 pm »

I don't have Black Market, but I would be inclined to do is use randomizers in the deck, but then when buying the card, remove the randomizer from the BM deck, and gain a non-randomizer copy of the card. You still spend a bit extra time, but it probably wouldn't be too bad.

That's what I do; I assume that's what most people do.

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +274
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 04:20:39 pm »
+4

What no one does, but should do, is to have a deck that is just like the randomizers, but with one of each regular-backed card. When drawing a random ten for kingdom, use this pile and then add the other 9 (or 7 or 11 depending on number of players) to the pile to make the standard ten. Then, use the remaining cards as the Black Market deck. If you buy a card from Black Market, all you need to do is put it in your discard - no fishing for the regular-backed version from the box. At the end of the game, just return one of each regular-backed card to your Black Market deck and put the other nine in their proper spots in their boxes.

Varsinor

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 09:17:52 pm »

That's what I do; I assume that's what most people do.

Same here.

Varsinor

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 09:19:14 pm »

Rule books I download...

Are you saying that you downloaded the Dark Ages rulebook somewhere? If yes, where? It's not yet on the Rio Grande Games homepage as far as I can see.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 09:20:15 pm »

Rule books I download...

Are you saying that you downloaded the Dark Ages rulebook somewhere? If yes, where? It's not yet on the Rio Grande Games homepage as far as I can see.

http://www.riograndegames.com/games.html?id=421

Scroll down.

Garth One-eye

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 10:18:14 pm »

What no one does, but should do, is to have a deck that is just like the randomizers, but with one of each regular-backed card. When drawing a random ten for kingdom, use this pile and then add the other 9 (or 7 or 11 depending on number of players) to the pile to make the standard ten. Then, use the remaining cards as the Black Market deck. If you buy a card from Black Market, all you need to do is put it in your discard - no fishing for the regular-backed version from the box. At the end of the game, just return one of each regular-backed card to your Black Market deck and put the other nine in their proper spots in their boxes.

That's exactly what I used to do until I reorganized my Dominion into one box.
Now I use an app randomizer that supports Black Market.

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +274
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 11:05:33 pm »

Funny enough, I don't actually do what I suggest others to do. I blame that on my lack of actually playing in real life these days, though. The method, itself, is great.

It is actually what my second-ever post on f.DS was about:

Somewhere on BGG, I saw a fantastic fix for the Black Market deck. I'm surprised more people don't use it or support it. I can't say I've gotten around to using it myself, but I know I should. I just don't play face-to-face enough to care. The general procedure is as follows:
Take one of every kingdom card (regular backing, not randomizer-blue). Use this as your Randomizer deck instead of the blue-backed cards. After the 10 are drawn for use in a game, find the rest of the cards (the remaining 9) from their original spot (in the box or in baggies or however you do it). The unused Kingdom cards that are from the randomizer pile work as the Black Market deck. Draw 3, and then you can place them in your deck immediately, no need to find the actual copy from wherever its stored. After the game is over, return all cards purchased from the Black Market deck to the pile and 1 of each of the 10 used in the Kingdom (11 if Young Witch is present). It can be a hassle if you are looking for a specific set of 10, but in that case you can just pull the 9 out of storage and find the 10th from the single-copy deck if it is needed.

Basically, use one of the 10 regular-backed cards instead of the blue-backed to make your Black Market deck.

Varsinor

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2012, 06:57:47 am »

Rule books I download...

http://www.riograndegames.com/games.html?id=421

Scroll down.

Thanks! (I didn't find it because I only looked at the main Dominion site and Dark Ages isn't linked there yet.)

PSGarak

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +160
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2012, 01:13:32 am »
+1

Personally, I think a Black Market deck consisting of the 10 Knights and nothing else isn't a bad idea. This would solve some of the issues I have both with Black Market and with Knights (in both cases, asymmetric availability to players). Then again, I consider Black Market the worst Dominion card ever made, so my opinion may not be representative.

Piemaster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2012, 01:27:59 am »

Personally, I think a Black Market deck consisting of the 10 Knights and nothing else isn't a bad idea.
I think it's pretty terrible.  Then again, I like Black Market
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 20 queries.