Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Looking to the future: The Guilds  (Read 28706 times)

Scissors61

• Salvager
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
Looking to the future: The Guilds
« on: August 17, 2012, 01:10:19 pm »

Now that we have Dark Ages, I'm already excited for Guilds.
I have no idea what's coming, but I suspect player interaction.
Anywho, post speculation below. I really can't wait to see The Guilds and I'm sure Donald X. will not disappoint.

pauley_walnuts

• Salvager
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
Re: Looking to the future: The Guilds
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 01:17:09 pm »
+4

This has been brought up in other topics already, but the ability to lower the cost of a single card as opposed to all cards seems likely based on the Rules description for Band of Misfits.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 01:52:36 pm »
+1

This has been brought up in other topics already, but the ability to lower the cost of a single card as opposed to all cards seems likely based on the Rules description for Band of Misfits.

(Or perhaps to raise the cost of a single card.)

pauley_walnuts

• Salvager
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 01:56:37 pm »

So this idea might be a bit out there, but since the title of the next expansion is Guilds, could it be possible for cards to have effects based on cards from previous expansions.

For instance,

Bankers' Guild
+$1 for every card from Prosperity in the supply.

engineer

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 02:04:55 pm »
+1

So this idea might be a bit out there, but since the title of the next expansion is Guilds, could it be possible for cards to have effects based on cards from previous expansions.

For instance,

Bankers' Guild
+$1 for every card from Prosperity in the supply.

I wouldn't like cards that reference other expansions explicitly, but it would be neat to see new cards that use old mechanics: potion cost cards, durations, etc.

agrajag

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 02:12:33 pm »
+1

I'm sort of expecting cards that stay out in play permanently, or until you play another card of the same type which replaces it. E.g. a bunch of cards with type "Guild" that have some effect while in play (similar to bridge or goons). Guilds are not removed during the cleanup phase. If you play a card of type Guild, immediately discard all Guilds you currently have in play.

Rhombus

• Bishop
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 03:24:47 pm »

Perhaps permanent play cards like:

At the end of your clean-up phase, gain a copper/silver.

At the end of your clean-up phase, +1 VP. (unlikely)

All other players may only draw 4 cards during their clean-up phase.

+1 Buy on your turn.

+$x on your turn.

+x Actions on your turn.

Long-lasting bridge type effects.  Or possibly even a marker like Embargo coins that signifies cards that have been raised or lowered in price for all players.  Picture artificially creating $1 or $8 or $9 actions.  A $12 Province, a $9 Colony, etc.

Hockey Mask

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 03:45:59 pm »

I'll be the first to say...

How big of an impact can a small 150 card (possible 13 Kingdoms) set have?  DX has surprised me almost every time but c'mon.  Especially after the size and variety of DA.
-The Compulsive Completist

Tmwinand

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +30
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 03:48:21 pm »

Maybe we'll get some more clues from the Dark Age secret history.  All those cards that "were moved to later set" we haven't seen in DA must be in Guilds!

Scissors61

• Salvager
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 03:54:38 pm »

This would be hard to balance. If Guild cards are anything like what the wild mass guessing says, it could turn BoM into a real swingy card. In order to balance this, the cost reducing card would need to be expensive. If it costs that much, you might as well buy the card and use your BoM for combos with that card.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 04:14:45 pm »

Maybe there will be cards from some guilds that interact well with (give bonuses to) other cards from that guild?

A very simple example to illustrate my point:

Banker
Action - Merchant's Guild
+$1 for every Merchant's Guild card you have in play

Retailer
Action - Merchant's Guild
Gain a card costing up to $3 (+$1 more for every Merchant's Guild card you have in play)

And setup instructions are to include all cards from one guild or none.

Other guilds could be the thieves guild, the craftmans guild etc..

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Tmwinand

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +30
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 04:16:21 pm »

When I first heard about guilds, I thought about "Village Guild" or "Library Guild" which have an effect like "All cards played after this card have +Action or + 1 Card added to the beginning of their text."

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 04:44:40 pm »

When I first heard about guilds, I thought about "Village Guild" or "Library Guild" which have an effect like "All cards played after this card have +Action or + 1 Card added to the beginning of their text."

I am pretty sure this would be a balance nightmare. :P

HMJACK707

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2012, 01:09:37 pm »

What if all or a lot of the cards are like knights? Each stack is a different guild and each card in the stack has cards that benefits each other from that stack in some way shape or form. I guess that could be a pretty big balancing issue though. They would have to not be great bonuses or else every game with them would just turn into a race to grab them.

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +274
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2012, 01:12:12 pm »
+3

Whenever someone says there is a balance issue with a variant, I just sit back and wait for DXV to prove them horribly wrong.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2012, 01:12:56 pm »

What if all or a lot of the cards are like knights? Each stack is a different guild and each card in the stack has cards that benefits each other from that stack in some way shape or form. I guess that could be a pretty big balancing issue though. They would have to not be great bonuses or else every game with them would just turn into a race to grab them.

I think Knights are a one time deal.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2012, 01:20:09 pm »

Knights may have seemed like a one time deal, but I think something like this may be fun.

A stack of Craftsman guild cards could have such innocent cards as:

Blacksmith
Action - Craftsman guild
+1 Card
+1 Card for every Craftsman guild card you have in play

Booming Village
Action - Craftsman guild
+1 Action
+1 Action for every Craftsman guild card you have in play

So on their own these cards are like Ruins, but combined they can be pretty nice.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2012, 01:38:51 pm »
+2

I think I read somewhere that Donald X originally wanted each Guild to have its own special cost, though in the end that only ended up happening with the alchemists.  Not sure if that will be resurrected for the expansion next spring.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

HMJACK707

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2012, 01:40:20 pm »

Yeah, it would be a strong counter balance to dark ages too. If there are any trash for benefit cards in the kingdom it will more or less make you pick a guilds strategy or a more traditional one.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2012, 01:42:53 pm »
+4

Whenever someone says there is a balance issue with a variant, I just sit back and wait for DXV to prove them horribly wrong.
Well I already made "actions played after this give +$1." It turned into Horn of Plenty.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2012, 02:42:09 pm »

I'd imagine there being 4 guilds with 3 cards each, and they could be tied together with a victory card, maybe something like 

Community
Victory
Cost: 4
Choose a card type. Worth 1 VP for every full set of a card type available in the supply (if that set contains at least 3 cards).
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 02:43:51 pm by NoMoreFun »

Axe Knight

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2012, 06:18:03 pm »

I thought about future expansions awhile back, and there were two things I thought may pop at one point.  One were "hero"-type cards, and what I had in mind almost precisely happened with the knights in Dark Ages.  The other one is almost like a permanent duration and gives players certain attributes and powerups depending which card you get.  We'll call them guilds, why not?  Each player would only be allowed to "enter" one guild.  For example,

Guild of Lenders:

For the remainder of the game, during your buy phase, +$2. 

Guild of Smithies:

For the remainder of the game, except after cleanup, when you draw any number of cards, draw an extra card.

etc.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 06:21:37 pm by Axe Knight »
An Axe Knight draws near!  Command?

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +937
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2012, 07:56:49 pm »
+2

I don't think "balance nightmare" and "DXV balancing something correctly" are mutually exclusive.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 07:59:08 pm by rinkworks »

engineer

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2012, 08:08:01 pm »

I don't think "balance nightmare" and "DXV balancing something correctly" are mutually exclusive.

It's all about playtesting.  Donald has the ability to playtest his ideas far beyond the degree available to most fans.  Some of the cards in DA look crazy to me, like they will break the game.  But I believe that they are balanced -- not because Donald is just a brilliant mastermind who sees how it all works, but because he's able to playtest, fix, and retest these cards until he's convinced that they work, they're fun, and they almost never break the game. (I say "almost never" because, hey, it's fun to break the game occasionally.)

axlemn

• Salvager
  • Respect: +34
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2012, 03:22:09 pm »

There was a Friendship is Magic fan expansion which dealt with 'Friendship Tokens'.  Hear me out.  They were usually gained through pretty lousy terminals, but for every 2 in your pile, you could start off every turn with drawing 1 more card.  Permanent Wharves. 

I think the concept or something similar will be playtested at some point.  Though perhaps that's already happened with Seaside? 
Favorite cards: Wharf, Wishing Well, Cartographer, Counting House. 
Least favorite cards: Swindler, Jester, Ghost Ship, Black Market, Fortune Teller
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 21 queries.