Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
Re: Zaps
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2012, 03:38:12 pm »
+7

Rare card?!

That sounds vague enough to be the Blue Eyes White Dragon!

Screw the rules, I have turn 1 bridges!
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2012, 03:39:56 pm »

Rare cards...

Are we just talking about Gov / Envoy / Black market / walled village?
Don't forget Stash!

To my knowledge, it's just the normal promos, unless DXV made additional ones for Goko too. It is confirmed that campaign mode is one way to unlock the promos we're familiar with.
I have not made any online-only promos. I'm sure they would like one. I don't know if it will ever happen.

Here's a question: are they authorized under your relationship with them to release their own expansion content?  Could they release "Goko Market: +2 coin, +2 card, +2action, +2buy", cost: 8 for example?
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2012, 03:44:22 pm »
+6

Except they don't seem to have figured out how to code BM yet

I'm pretty certain they've coded a BM.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2012, 03:47:51 pm »
+1

Except they don't seem to have figured out how to code BM yet

I'm pretty certain they've coded a BM.

I see what you did there.  ;)

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2012, 03:49:04 pm »
+2

Rare cards...

Don't forget Stash!

To my knowledge, it's just the normal promos, unless DXV made additional ones for Goko too. It is confirmed that campaign mode is one way to unlock the promos we're familiar with.
I have not made any online-only promos. I'm sure they would like one. I don't know if it will ever happen.

Here's a question: are they authorized under your relationship with them to release their own expansion content?  Could they release "Goko Market: +2 coin, +2 card, +2action, +2buy", cost: 8 for example?

Is that the cost in gokoins?

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2012, 03:49:25 pm »

Rare cards...

Don't forget Stash!

I guess it'll rather cost 2 gokoins

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2012, 03:54:30 pm »
+1

Rare cards...

Don't forget Stash!

I guess it'll rather cost 2 gokoins

I wanted to make a side joke - because lets face it - they have public interviews discussing monetization - one of their guys used to work for zynga - and they've already said that the catan mmo will contain pay to win elements.  I'm getting a distinctly dirty vibe about them based on the above.

That said - Donald has made it clear that microtransactions in the main game is unacceptable per him - and presumably as part of his license agreement with RGG and Goko.  So my question is - if goko wants an exclusive online only promo card - can they make one themselves? 

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2012, 04:12:59 pm »
+1

They can't do that, and wouldn't try to get it past me anyway.

I don't have a contract with them at all. They have a contract with RGG and RGG has a contract with me.

Hockey Mask

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2012, 04:13:15 pm »
+1

-The Compulsive Completist

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2012, 04:26:20 pm »

They can't do that, and wouldn't try to get it past me anyway.

I don't have a contract with them at all. They have a contract with RGG and RGG has a contract with me.

Maybe I'm missing something here.  Are you saying their contract with RGG prevents them from doing such a thing?

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2012, 04:28:25 pm »
+4

I think he's saying his contract with RGG prevents RGG from giving them permission to do so.

cactus

• Apprentice
  • Then: longtime lurker. Now: occasional poster.
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2012, 06:57:55 pm »

I thought this was the reason Jay went with Goko, so this kind of thing doesn't happen. Well, looks like you were wrong.

Well isn't this for the single-player campaign mode?  I don't really care about that, and if they want to monetize the crap out of that I'm all for it.

I do care a lot about this. I strongly strongly dislike it. I will not recommend a game to any of my friends that includes these micro transactions (whether in the main part of the game or elsewhere). IMO the whole thing stinks. It does make me sad because IMO dominion was one of the most inspired game designs that I've come across yet. So disappointing to see it go this way.

Well just my opinion. I'm sure I'm going to get shot down (or told that I'm an ungrateful so-and-so by Donald X.) but whatever....

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2012, 10:38:28 pm »
+5

I am not super thrilled forever about this, and have done my share of whining about the whole thing the past couple of days, but I do not see a gigantic issue here.

-I see no reason to believe this is going to seep into "real" Dominion, given Jay's comments on the "Dominion Social" idea.
-There is no reason you HAVE to play Adventure, I don't think.  You can get promos from it, but as I understand it you can get promos other ways as well?
-It seems an effective and relatively harmless way to make some money once everybody's bought all the expansions they're going to buy.
-I...am not sure what else everybody expected from a one-player "Adventure Mode" in a multiplayer game that already has the option to have a free match with the AI.  I expected as soon as I heard of it that shenanigans of some sort would be afoot.

I dunno, the idea of goofy scenarios actually seems kinda fun to me.  As much as I love the game, I am not above a bit of interest in screwing around with variants and such.  We can argue over whether it still counts as Dominion or not, we can complain about the nickel and diming, and I will even join you in wishing that the effort that went into it had instead gone into making the game functional, but....I feel that Zaps are not the end of the world.
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2012, 10:47:44 pm »

Rare card?!

Ah yes, Yu-Gi-Oh, the Abridged series, good times.

Funny thing, I never watched the actual show or played the game for that matter. Well, that's not entirely true. I did demo it once, but I don't think that really counts.

Mecherath

• Baron
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2012, 11:09:36 pm »

Given the generic and non-Dominion naming of Zaps, I would imagine that a similar concept will apply to all of the games they host.  I assume the campaign won't be tuned so that you need them.  I definitely want the later scenarios to be hard though, and while you and I may be willing to keep on trying until we win, somebody else who has a few bucks or coins lying around might want to give themselves a boost.  It's not much different from cheat codes in any single player computer game.  I don't care for them, but plenty of other people do.

Also, while Dominion has a whole barrel full of expansions to monetize with, some of the other games they'll be hosting might not.  Microtransactions are the way of the future, where nobody wants to pay upfront for anything.  People with more money than time keep things cheaper for the rest of us.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2012, 11:23:56 pm »

Hey guys - before everyone gets upset about microtransactions - it was confirmed that you actually purchase the zaps with dominion coins... the ones you get from winning matches.

You may also be able to buy dominion coins with gokoins, I'm not sure - but its not like its a pay to win type of thing... rather a "grind to win" if you feel that its necessary. 

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2012, 02:51:34 am »

I think he's saying his contract with RGG prevents RGG from giving them permission to do so.
Isn't a blue dog somehow also involved?

yudantaiteki

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +167
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2012, 03:06:35 am »

Honestly this doesn't bother me at all; I'm going to trust Donald X and Jay that the multiplayer game will not allow you to spend money to do better.

This reminds me a little of PS3/360 role playing games that have DLC raising your characters' levels or giving them bonus equipment.  I know someone who refuses to buy any RPGs that have such DLC -- I think he sees it as a slippery slope situation where eventually they'll intentionally make the games unbalanced so that you have to buy the stat-boosting DLC just to play, but I'm content to get the games and just ignore the DLC.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2012, 03:22:18 am »

You know, as long as this isn't in the real game, and there's no sign that it is, I have no problem at all with this.  Who cares in the campaign mode?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2012, 05:19:59 am »
+12

-There is no reason you HAVE to play Adventure, I don't think.

It needs something extra. Maybe +Buy.

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2012, 10:17:54 pm »

Rare card?!

Ah yes, Yu-Gi-Oh, the Abridged series, good times.

Funny thing, I never watched the actual show or played the game for that matter. Well, that's not entirely true. I did demo it once, but I don't think that really counts.

http://youtu.be/nXaPLWHveAA?t=12m25s
You reminded me of this song. :P
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +234
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2012, 01:58:22 am »

I thought the adventure mode is advertised to be designed by Donald X.?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2012, 02:22:38 am »

I thought the adventure mode is advertised to be designed by Donald X.?
I'll guess that you mean you saw this in a post out of the corner of your eye, rather than in, say, advertising. I did not design adventure mode; I picked out most of the sets of 10 cards, without knowing where they would go from there.

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2012, 06:14:14 am »
+7

"In a new online adventure mode designed by Goko & Donald X, created to challenge you and improve your skills"

http://dominion.isotropic.org/
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2012, 01:32:18 pm »

"In a new online adventure mode designed by Goko & Donald X, created to challenge you and improve your skills"

http://dominion.isotropic.org/

I demand a secret history of adventure mode!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.