Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Is Scavenger the Chancellor we've always wanted?  (Read 11170 times)

Loschmidt

• Golem
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
Re: Is Scavenger the Chancellor we've always wanted?
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2012, 09:28:43 pm »

Hmmm, if Chancellor, Scavenger and Stash are all on the board... Is the best opening Chancellor/Scavenger? Or does that limit your chances at $5 too much.

I'd definitely prefer opening Scavenger / Silver over Scavenger / Chancellor. The Chancellor doesn't do you much good to set up your 3 Stashes plus 2 Scavengers and the risk to have colliding terminals is much too high given the low expected benefit.

But there is a chance of getting Chancellor or Scavenger + 3 coppers on turn 3. If not buy a silver and reshuffle anyway and you're in a similar position.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2012, 09:38:38 pm »

Hmmm, if Chancellor, Scavenger and Stash are all on the board... Is the best opening Chancellor/Scavenger? Or does that limit your chances at $5 too much.

I'd definitely prefer opening Scavenger / Silver over Scavenger / Chancellor. The Chancellor doesn't do you much good to set up your 3 Stashes plus 2 Scavengers and the risk to have colliding terminals is much too high given the low expected benefit.

But there is a chance of getting Chancellor or Scavenger + 3 coppers on turn 3. If not buy a silver and reshuffle anyway and you're in a similar position.

But if that Chancellor was a Silver you can buy a Stash, and then you have a decent shot of buying another Stash on the turn that Scavenger hits.  The chance of terminal collision is bad.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2012, 10:13:41 pm »

Scavenger is the scavenger I've always wanted. On top of being very similar to a card I actually designed

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +274
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2012, 11:22:46 pm »
+1

There's a new sheriff in town: Scavenger/Chancellor. Only slightly better than the esteemed Chancellor/Chancellor, an opening that is so good it isn't even allowed to be rated on councilroom's page of popular openers.

Squeek

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2012, 12:16:49 pm »

King's Court + Scavenger is fun.  King's Court + Chancellor is less fun.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2012, 10:05:23 pm »

I posted my thoughts on the Scavenger/Stash combo in another thread:

Scavenger/Stash is something that we didn't play with, but Turambar and I talked about it and it seems super-strong. Get 2 Scavengers and 3 Stashes and you can Province every turn regardless of cursing, looting, trashing, or deck-mucking attacks. Honestly, probably way better than Chancellor/Stash, which was good already. The only failure mode is if your 2nd Scavenger ends up being the 5th card of your deck, which has a miniscule probability of happening.

Assuming optimal shuffle luck on 4/3 with Scavenger/Silver opening:

Turn 3: play $4, buy Scavenger
Turn 4: play Scavenger (topdecking other Scavenger), play $5, buy Stash
Turns 5 and 6: play Scavenger (topdecking other Scavenger), play $5, buy Stash
Turns 7 through 14: buy Province

As long as you don't draw your second Scavenger in your hand. Buying a third Scavenger or fourth Stash should prevent that from happening.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 10:21:23 pm by dondon151 »

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2012, 10:13:32 pm »

I posted my thoughts on the Scavenger/Stash combo in another thread:

Scavenger/Stash is something that we didn't play with, but Turambar and I talked about it and it seems super-strong. Get 2 Scavengers and 3 Stashes and you can Province every turn regardless of cursing, looting, trashing, or deck-mucking attacks. Honestly, probably way better than Chancellor/Stash, which was good already. The only failure mode is if your 2nd Scavenger ends up being the 5th card of your deck, which has a miniscule probability of happening.

Assuming optimal shuffle luck on 4/3 with Scavenger/Silver opening:

Turn 3: play $4, buy Scavenger
Turn 4: play Scavenger (topdecking other Scavenger), play $5, buy Stash
Turns 5 and 6: play Scavenger (topdecking other Scavenger), play $5, buy Stash
Turns 7 through 15: buy Province

As long as you don't draw your second Scavenger in your hand. Buying a third Scavenger or fourth Stash should prevent that from happening.

Actually, it should be turns 7-14. Which means that this is a pretty good deck because winning in 14 turns with no Provinces contested is impressive. I tested irl Stash/Scavenger against myself. Not once did I need to buy a third Scavenger or fourth Stash. I think it is rare that you will hit double Scavenger, but sucks when it does, and if it does happen, I think the optimal play is to just go green, Duchy/Estate, whatever because that extra Stash or Scavenger you buy won't make much difference.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2012, 10:22:11 pm »

Actually, it should be turns 7-14.

Pffft, arithmetic.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 20 queries.