Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Rules FAQ.  (Read 3863 times)

DrFlux

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +68
    • View Profile
Rules FAQ.
« on: August 16, 2012, 08:39:20 pm »

Hi All,

Is there a place we can find the rules faq online? I've ordered my copy, but I'm impatient.

In related news: how exactly does ambassador work with ruins (or knight)? Presumably you can return your "abandoned mine(s)", but what happens then? Do 0, 1 or all other players gain a ruins?

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
Re: Rules FAQ.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 08:45:39 pm »

I think this was mentioned elsewhere for Ruins specifically, and the same would apply for Knights. The cards (if you choose to return 2) you return with Ambassador must have the same name, and every player tries to gain one of the same name.

So if I return a Ruined Market, the player to my left will gain the Ruined Market I physically returned, and the next player will gain a Ruined Market only if it is now on top of the ruins pile; if Abandoned Mine is now on top of the ruins pile, no else will gain anything due to your Ambassador.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 09:35:20 pm »

Also, Shelters can't be returned, in case you were wondering. So, Amb. got slightly weaker.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 09:40:30 pm »

I do have a minor rules question about Knights. Can all 10 go into the Black Market deck? My guess is yes because they all have different names.

pauley_walnuts

• Salvager
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 10:44:06 am »

I do have a minor rules question about Knights. Can all 10 go into the Black Market deck? My guess is yes because they all have different names.

Yes, according to the card description of Knights: http://riograndegames.com/uploads/Game/Game_421_gameRules.pdf. Although unless you have a Black Market randomizer of your own (and not use the blue-back cards), it seems like only one random knight is getting in. At least that's how I read it.

lycotic

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 07:28:00 pm »

Fortress/Forge is mildly confusing.

The rules for Remake are pretty clear (trash first card, gain, then trash second card, gain) and so the interaction with Fortress is clear.  Forge, however, is less clear, because it seems to depend on whether you trash the cards one at a time, adding up as you go along, or you select N cards to trash, trash them, and then gain.  If you trash one at a time then Fortess + Forge = Province, but if you select and then trash, you can't do that.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +937
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 07:32:51 pm »

Fortress/Forge is mildly confusing.

The rules for Remake are pretty clear (trash first card, gain, then trash second card, gain) and so the interaction with Fortress is clear.  Forge, however, is less clear, because it seems to depend on whether you trash the cards one at a time, adding up as you go along, or you select N cards to trash, trash them, and then gain.  If you trash one at a time then Fortess + Forge = Province, but if you select and then trash, you can't do that.

Forge, along with other cards that trash multiple cards at once (Chapel, Steward, Trading Post, etc), trashes them all simultaneously.  You then pick the order you'll resolve the on-trash effects in, but once you've done that, you can't go back and trash additional cards, as the moment has passed.

You're absolutely right that Remake is somewhat of an exception, since the wording clearly indicates that the two cards it trashes are trashed separately instead of in a bundle.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 07:40:31 pm »
+2

KC-Forge-Fortress-Fortress hmmmmmm

engineer

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 08:29:30 pm »

Ok, sure, that gets you three provinces.  But you need a 4 card collision, and two of those cards are $7, so you probably could have bought two provinces already.  So that's probably not overpowered...

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 09:28:19 pm »

Ok, sure, that gets you three provinces.  But you need a 4 card collision, and two of those cards are $7, so you probably could have bought two provinces already.  So that's probably not overpowered...

Not OP, no.  Just a cute trick!  And possibly something to consider as a megaturn target, with good draw and an additional KC and Forge so you can get 6 Provinces. :P

Edit: actually, it probably makes more sense with Colonies.  KC-KC-Forge-Forge Fortress-Fortress with decent draw.  Depending on the state of the game when you pull off the megaturn, you might just take down the Province piles asap.  Or, if you can get the giant hand with lots of $3 cards (or $2 and $1), you can grab a bunch of Colonies with Fortress-Fortress-X-(Y).

That's the dream!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 09:31:01 pm by eHalcyon »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.