Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Combo: Salvager / Peddler  (Read 10848 times)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
Combo: Salvager / Peddler
« on: August 01, 2011, 06:46:57 am »

In Province games, Salvagers and Peddlers make quite a nifty combo.

(c) Copyright for these images belongs to Rio Grande Games obviously, but I linked to the scans on diehrstraits.com.

Mid game, you can use the +Buy from the Salvagers to buy an extra Peddler (with lowered cost).
In the end game, you can trash these Peddlers for free Provinces (you get +8$ for a trashed Peddler).

Salvager is well known for it's possibility to trash Provinces for other Provinces while you're ahead, rushing the pile down. It synergizes perfectly with Peddler for this same purpose.

This combo works best with:
- Cantrips (villages) to lower the cost of the Peddlers and to enable you to play multiple Salvagers if needed (be careful with Mining Village, because trashing it causes it to no longer be "in play")
- Province games (I wonder if a Province rush would work in Colony games)
- Smaller decks: If you're cursed and coppered to death by Mountebanks, it's obviously harder to draw your Salvagers and Peddlers together and to chain enough actions to lower the Peddler costs
- Possibly another +Buy card to get more Peddlers, like Wharf
- Worker's Village gets its own entry in this list, since it's a cantrip and gives a +Buy!!!

Most players will have figured this combination out for themselves, but I didn't see an actual topic about it (nor a blog entry on Dominionstrategy.com), so I made one for the beginners. :)

Message to Geronimoo: I fear that your simulator doesn't actually handle Salvagers well for this combo. I've seen it trash an Estate rather than a Peddler in the end game.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
Re: Combo: Salvager / Peddler
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 06:58:34 am »

Yep. Also Bishop/Peddler, Apprentice/Peddler, Remodel/Peddler, Expand/Peddler, Pretty much anything that cares about cost/Peddler.

- Worker's Village gets its own entry in this list, since it's a cantrip and gives a +Buy!!!

Market, Grand Market, and to some extent Hamlet also share this quality.

Edit: I knew I'd seen this somewhere. There aren't any specific Combo of the Day articles on it, but this stuff is mentioned in the Peddler article on the main site.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 07:06:43 am by Thisisnotasmile »

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
Re: Combo: Salvager / Peddler
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 07:13:19 am »

Ah, I didn't think to look at the actual Peddler article.  :-[

I especially like the Salvager, because it has its own +Buy and thus only needs a simple Village to be succesful.
This makes it somewhat less dependent on the rest of the kingdom.

But of course, the other Cost-trashers work very well too!

The newer Remake is not mentioned in that older article, but can provide up to 2 Platinums.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.