Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: DA, first Printing, Misprinted?  (Read 19439 times)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
DA, first Printing, Misprinted?
« on: August 16, 2012, 04:26:39 pm »

So, something seems off.

First, we have one Knight that costs $4 and the randomizer says $5. Then, Catacombs has a weird wording, and I think a couple other cards as well do. But, what really makes me think that the first printing of DA might be a misprint is that Rebuild let's you name any card including a non-Victory card which just seems weird. This is how Rebuild is worded:

Rebuild
$5
+1 Action
Name a card. Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal a Victory card that is not the named card. Trash it. Gain a Victory card costing up to $3 more than it. Discard the other cards.
Action

So, what do you think. Is something fishy going on?

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
Re: DA, first Printing, Misprinted?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 04:28:50 pm »

Knight is probably intentional.

You can name any order card if you want to hit ANY victory i.e. not ban anything - Just name Copper. You probably want to namebad Estate so that you trash duchy->Prov or Prov->Colony.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 04:29:31 pm »

So, something seems off.

First, we have one Knight that costs $4 and the randomizer says $5. Then, Catacombs has a weird wording, and I think a couple other cards as well do. But, what really makes me think that the first printing of DA might be a misprint is that Rebuild let's you name any card including a non-Victory card which just seems weird. This is how Rebuild is worded:

Rebuild
$5
+1 Action
Name a card. Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal a Victory card that is not the named card. Trash it. Gain a Victory card costing up to $3 more than it. Discard the other cards.
Action

I don't see a real problem with Rebuild. It gives you the ability to just trash / expand the first victory card you find, no matter what it is.

I didn't notice that Sir Martin costs $4, but given his ability, it makes sense that he would I think. The randomizer has to say $5, because it applies to all the Knights. Catacombs is indeed a weird choice of words, but I don't see how that could be a misprint, rather than a choice Donald made.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 04:30:23 pm »

You can name any order card if you want to hit ANY victory i.e. not ban anything - Just name Copper. You probably want to namebad Estate so that you trash duchy->Prov or Prov->Colony.

You're probably right.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 04:30:31 pm »

I just realized the best use of naming a card... Ruined Overgrown Estate. You really wouldn't want to hit that with Rebuild, unless it's a Gardens/Silk Road/Feodum game.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 04:36:29 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 04:32:53 pm »

You mean Overgrown Estate?

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 04:34:46 pm »
+4

I guess the best card to name is colony/province  if you have one already, since those cant be improved.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +937
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 04:34:51 pm »
+2

+2 Buys is such a weaker bonus compared to the others that it makes sense that Martin gets an extra boost.  His $4 cost makes Knight openings easier (though he'd have to be on top when your $4 turn comes along), but Knight openings can already happen with a 5/2 split anyway.

It does rather seem like a Knight trashing an opening buy on Turn 3 could decide the game then and there.  But those can happen anyway.  I kind of like how Knight openings can happen in different ways:  usually only on a 5/2 split, but sometimes on a 4/3.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 04:35:17 pm »
+3

Rebuild
$5
+1 Action
Action

You actually have the wrong wording of Rebuild there; however the correct wording does say "Name a card" at the start (what's wrong here is that the discarding actually happens before the trashing/gaining).

I am going to guess that my reasoning was, here is a really wordy card, it doesn't need to also say "Victory" here does it. Name whatever card you want; if you want to actually avoiding trading in a particular victory card, name one of those, and if you don't want to, I don't need to make you think of a victory card that isn't being used this game.

Edit: Okay it's not quite like that because I wasn't thinking about what the card actually is here, but you know. If you want to hit any victory card, name Curse or whatever you want; nothing is gained by forcing you to name a victory card not in your deck, which you would almost always be able to do anyway.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 04:37:53 pm by Donald X. »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 04:36:38 pm »

You mean Overgrown Estate?

Indeed, lol.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 04:37:59 pm »

+2 Buys is such a weaker bonus compared to the others that it makes sense that Martin gets an extra boost.  His $4 cost makes Knight openings easier (though he'd have to be on top when your $4 turn comes along), but Knight openings can already happen with a 5/2 split anyway.

It does rather seem like a Knight trashing an opening buy on Turn 3 could decide the game then and there.  But those can happen anyway.  I kind of like how Knight openings can happen in different ways:  usually only on a 5/2 split, but sometimes on a 4/3.
Having a single $4 knight seems weird though. I would've expected a few of each cost, if that's the idea. But clearly I'm wrong. :)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 04:40:24 pm »

Is it significant that Market Square's reaction triggers on 'When one of your cards is trashed' rather than 'When you trash a card'?

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 04:41:20 pm »

It's the Wishing Well clause which lets you name Uno, Bridge and Magic cards as well, although you won't find them in your deck.

But sometimes you might NOT want to be right with Wishing Well for whatever edge reason.

I can understand why he put "name a card" there; the card is a bit wordy though.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 04:41:55 pm »

Is it significant that Market Square's reaction triggers on 'When one of your cards is trashed' rather than 'When you trash a card'?
No, I don't think so. So far all the trashers instruct you to trash your own card, rather than forcibly trashing someone else's cards.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 04:42:18 pm »
+10

Having a single $4 knight seems weird though. I would've expected a few of each cost, if that's the idea. But clearly I'm wrong. :)
He is younger than the other guys.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2012, 04:42:26 pm »

Another odd/inconsistant wording. I'm pretty sure that there's still no card in the game that allows you to trash an opponent's card, rather than forcing an opponent to trash his card.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2012, 04:42:38 pm »
+3

Only in that it has gotten this question asked.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2012, 04:43:15 pm »
+1

But sometimes you might NOT want to be right with Wishing Well for whatever edge reason.

That one's easy; you don't want a reshuffle. We like challenges! ;D
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 04:54:57 pm by GendoIkari »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2012, 04:43:37 pm »

Only in that it has gotten this question asked.

Well, alrighty then.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2012, 04:47:59 pm »
+1

You, sir, fail, and: haha, smirk!

Whether you wish wrong or right, you need to reveal the card anyway!

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2012, 04:51:12 pm »

You want to go "gain a Copper, trash your hand" with Count, but don't want to trash the second card down because it's a good one or something.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2012, 04:54:25 pm »

Crap!! :-[

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2012, 04:57:05 pm »

You want to go "gain a Copper, trash your hand" with Count, but don't want to trash the second card down because it's a good one or something.
You can probably find a simple example with TR or Golem and a forced trasher like that.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2012, 04:59:26 pm »

Or you just draw a Gold with your +1 Card, and don't want another one which is behind it as it will make you overplay for Province.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2012, 05:06:43 pm »
+1

Or you just draw a Gold with your +1 Card, and don't want another one which is behind it as it will make you overplay for Province.

The best example of this would be treasure map.  You know that the next 4 cards of your deck are golds.  You may only want one of those golds, and intentionally guessing Curse will result in a guaranteed province next turn.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.